PDA

View Full Version : Honest question. Why does every other conference have more power and a power approach

RougeDawg
06-05-2016, 01:42 AM
This time of the year should be all any MSU fan needs to objectively observed why we have such a lack of power. Watching today's highlights it's fairly simple to see what the common aspects of a lower offense are. We lack most of them and it's not our players fault nor their size. Mangum could be a 10-15 HR guy with proper work. These guys dropping bombs in the tourney all have specific traits and mechanics in common. The real questions is who is teaching our hitting, and if they are teaching proper hitting, why aren't the players listening.

I'm not bashing our progress or where we are but look at these teams with "perceived lesser talent" beating ass. Do any of you every look at this and wonder what the difference is? Why these low talent teams have great offenses and take? Why they can beat more talented teams? Or do you just watch these regionals in a stupor? I'll go with the latter.

We have Florida power talent but because we have a Passive approach we are hamstringed. If we had a power aspect actually coached into our players, we would be unstoppable.

Not sure if anyone watched the NCState game late but the announcers were on point. They said there are very few coaches in college who actually teach the proper mechanics that make a difference with talent levels. Was during NCState Coastal Carlina game.

sandwolf
06-05-2016, 02:41 AM
Oh God, I remember this from a year or two ago......you going on and on about how much better you could coach hitting than Cohen (and appearing to legitimately believe it). You bringing all this shit up again doesn't really surprise me, but the timing certainly does......I am no baseball expert, but I was under the impression that this year's offense has been damn good and has had plenty of power....and the stats seem to back that up (the basic stats, not the sabermetrics or any of that business...I haven't looked at those because I don't know enough for them to mean anything to me). Per ESPN, here is where we rank in the SEC in each batting category (LINK (http://assets.espn.go.com/sec/baseball/2016/lgteams.htm)):

2016 SEC BaseballSEC Batting Leaders (as of Jun 04, 2016)
(All games)

Hitting minimums - 75% of Games 2.0 AB/Game 3.0 TPA/Game
Pitching minimums - 1 Games 1.0 IP/Game

Batting avg
-----------
2. Mississippi State... .313

Slugging pct
------------
2. Mississippi State... .454

On base pct
-----------
1. Mississippi State... .392

Runs scored
-----------
4. Mississippi State... 392

Hits
----
2. Mississippi State... 651

Runs batted in
--------------
3. Mississippi State... 364

Doubles
-------
1. Mississippi State... 124

Triples
-------
6. Mississippi State... 17

Home runs
---------
5. Mississippi State... 45

Total bases
-----------
2. Mississippi State... 944

Total plate appearances
-----------------------
4. Mississippi State... 2418

At bats
-------
3. Mississippi State... 2079

Walks
-----
9. Mississippi State... 227

Hit by pitch
------------
6. Mississippi State... 57

Strikeouts
----------
13.Mississippi State... 346

Sac bunts
---------
7. Mississippi State... 30

Sac flies
---------
6. Mississippi State... 25

Stolen bases
------------
10.Mississippi State... 50

Caught stealing
---------------
14.Mississippi State... 12

Steal attempts
--------------
11.Mississippi State... 62

Grounded into DP
----------------
9. Mississippi State... 31

So what am I missing? What exactly is your issue?

Leroy Jenkins
06-05-2016, 02:49 AM
Deleted because I don't care.

wasabaka
06-05-2016, 02:59 AM
Mangum will never hit 10-15 HRs. That's laughable.

We are much improved in power from the last couple of years. Power isn't only measured in HRs. We were second in the SEC in slugging pct. this year, and first in the SEC in doubles. I'll take that any year, especially considering where we've been lately.

Dawg61
06-05-2016, 06:10 AM
Easy solution. Give them all the same HGH that Barry Bonds used and give Wes Johnson a triple dosage for hopeful height benefits.

messageboardsuperhero
06-05-2016, 06:55 AM
So much dumb ass in this post right here I don't even know where to begin.

MSUMatt
06-05-2016, 07:39 AM
I'm sorry man but you lost 100% credibility with Mangum hitting 10-15 home runs.

Taog Redloh
06-05-2016, 08:02 AM
LOL

shoeless joe
06-05-2016, 08:04 AM
One of the joys of having a good year this year has been the fact that you haven't posted much about how your such a great offensive mechanics mind.

Just for giggles I'll point out that we won game 1 on the back of a 2 homer performance and won game 2 because of a couple gap splitting doubles. Not sure what you want but offense has been outstanding this year. Unfortunately your post, while less common, have not made the same progress.

Really Clark?
06-05-2016, 08:45 AM
You do know we are tied for 9th (with a bunch of teams) for home runs in the regionals, 14th in slugging percentage, tied for 19th in doubles and 17th in batting avg against two pretty good pitchers and a CSF staff? After just 2 games we are in the top 20 in the country in all of these categories including the power stats.

Magnum hit over .400 as a freshman and you want to completely overhaul his swing to add power??? And 10-15 HR might be achievable for him when he is 24-26 years old getting 500+ AB in the minors. But he would still have to change a lot of his swing. But no way could you tweak him this past fall and presto he is hitting 10-15 as a Freshman. That is NOT what those commentators were talking about. Mangum is a contact hitter with speed and has been that way his whole life.

I seen it dawg
06-05-2016, 08:48 AM
Glad I was asleep when the first dumbass post of this thread was written.

RocketDawg
06-05-2016, 08:57 AM
I'm no baseball expert, but I think we have a really good balance of power this year. We're far from the "small ball" that we played some years ago. I liken super power to golf ... "drive for show, putt for dough". We need a little finesse along with sufficient power hitters. We won the SEC, and will almost certainly win our regional; pretty much shows how balanced we are.

And ... if Mangum bulked up by 50 lbs to be a power hitter, he'd likely lose a lot his defensive capability ... and we all like those catches he makes.

RC3
06-05-2016, 09:23 AM
Is this real ? Surely trolling

Bucky Dog
06-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Coach 34 hacked his account at 2:00 in the morning and posted this stupid shit***

Coldsleeve Jr.
06-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Jake Mangum: Our future cleanup hitter**

notsofarawaydawg
06-05-2016, 09:52 AM
Deleted

Dawgology
06-05-2016, 09:53 AM
This time of the year should be all any MSU fan needs to objectively observed why we have such a lack of power. Watching today's highlights it's fairly simple to see what the common aspects of a lower offense are. We lack most of them and it's not our players fault nor their size. Mangum could be a 10-15 HR guy with proper work. These guys dropping bombs in the tourney all have specific traits and mechanics in common. The real questions is who is teaching our hitting, and if they are teaching proper hitting, why aren't the players listening.

I'm not bashing our progress or where we are but look at these teams with "perceived lesser talent" beating ass. Do any of you every look at this and wonder what the difference is? Why these low talent teams have great offenses and take? Why they can beat more talented teams? Or do you just watch these regionals in a stupor? I'll go with the latter.

We have Florida power talent but because we have a Passive approach we are hamstringed. If we had a power aspect actually coached into our players, we would be unstoppable.

Not sure if anyone watched the NCState game late but the announcers were on point. They said there are very few coaches in college who actually teach the proper mechanics that make a difference with talent levels. Was during NCState Coastal Carlina game.

You will see why power hitting doesn't benefit a teams end game. Play to win. Not to look cool.

Brando
06-05-2016, 09:59 AM
Why the hell are you bitching about Mangum hitting 10-15 homeruns when the kid is hitting .423?? My god that is like saying my wife has DD's but I want her to have B's. Makes no 17in sense!!
I dont give a shit how we score runs as long as at the end of the game, that scoreboard says we won.

SaintDawg
06-05-2016, 10:04 AM
http://m.quickmeme.com/img/a0/a0143bb47cc4b099616a3d8b804921f3f31c46deed57361128 3bfe5db161571b.jpg

Homedawg
06-05-2016, 10:50 AM

One year later the idiocy continues.

Really Clark?
06-05-2016, 10:59 AM

All we have to do is change the stance. Especially Mangum's.***

Really Clark?
06-05-2016, 11:00 AM

All we have to do is change the stance. Especially Mangum's.***

smootness
06-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Tbonewannabe
06-05-2016, 01:04 PM
I'm no baseball expert, but I think we have a really good balance of power this year. We're far from the "small ball" that we played some years ago. I liken super power to golf ... "drive for show, putt for dough". We need a little finesse along with sufficient power hitters. We won the SEC, and will almost certainly win our regional; pretty much shows how balanced we are.

And ... if Mangum bulked up by 50 lbs to be a power hitter, he'd likely lose a lot his defensive capability ... and we all like those catches he makes.

Let's lose the best lead off hitter in the country by getting him bigger and slower so he can hit home runs.

RougeDawg
06-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Just as expected. The baseball ignorance around here continues. Point missed yet again but what's to be expected. Just a recommendation but most in here need to concentrate on football and football recruiting.

The point is that very few coaches actually teach the game and mechanics, which backs up what many believe here. We need a true hitting coach for maximum output. Those who do can coach up lesser talent to compete with the big boys. If we coached up our talent like these lesser teams we would be unstoppable, but we do not. I know a current player and he told me that they never go over mechanics or change swings. It's just fire away and hope you learn something in summer ball. Not every coach possesses all great coaching traits. Cohen is a great situational coach, but obviously does not teach mechanics. This is not me spewing what I believe, players have said the same to me. We are winning right now on pure talent alone with little mechanical coaching.

If all of you are truly state fans and want the best for this program you would come to realize that we've always had more potential than has been on display, we just haven't unlocked it because of certain issues that have lingered for years. Why would you not want the most out of our players? Last year would never happen with some tweaks.Do you prefer 1-2 run nail biters over no doubter double digit wins on the regular? Yesterday that UCF pitcher kept burying the 0-2/1-2 pitch into the dirt around home plate, but we kept swinging. Evevtually he started elevating them on his own when he got tired be we had success. A "hitting" coach or someone with half a brain should have been relaying this message to our hitters. For one he throws more pitches, but most importantly you get it in his head that he's going to have to throw it for a strike. It's simple baseball.

Im not bitching about the season. I just see the potential there if these hitters got coaching. Other than "bunt here" hit and run now" "steal second". I've personally witnessed players who struggled in high school, go to college under a mechanics based coach who sends them deep into the minors. What could this same coach do with top 10-15 recruiting classes?

And for those of you laughing about the Mangum 10-15 hrs, he makes enough contact to hit more than that but his size limits him right now. Power is all about leverage and although size helps, it does not fully impact power. A few tweaks to his stance and he would add 10-20 % on those fly ball outs. The 300-310 ft fly balls, to left and right that get caught would be homeruns with a few simple tweaks. Those 360ft pops in the game would be souvenirs. It doesn't take much to gain power, you just have to be told when what and how to do it.

Let me explain in a different way so most of you can relate. What if Mullen took the Cohen approach with his players, especially Dak? Dak never develops and hardly sees the field. if he sees the field he is is just your average player. This can be said with most of the footballs players we develop. They never would end up where they do without proper mechanics driven coaching. You think Dak would've been drafted for it not hom working on his mechanics? Do any of you actually believe we would've had the season we had two years ago or even the last season without a mechanics based head coach?

Here's the point. Mullen has done more with less. Johnny has been given much more ceiling potential in his sport than Dan. You give Mullen a few top 10-15 classes and we'll be knocking on the door of Atlanta and Playoffs every year. Why does one sport get a pass on teaching the game and proper mechanics? Ask the players they'll tell you the same. It frustrates me to see Dan burning up a Ford Taurus on Old 82 while Johnny puts around in his Ferarri around 55 on the Autobahn. The potential is there to be a dominant force every year. So why aren't we?

shoeless joe
06-05-2016, 01:33 PM
Just as expected. The baseball ignorance around here continues. Point missed yet again but what's to be expected. Just a recommendation but most in here need to concentrate on football and football recruiting.

The point is that very few coaches actually teach the game and mechanics, which backs up what many believe here. We need a true hitting coach for maximum output. Those who do can coach up lesser talent to compete with the big boys. If we coached up our talent like these lesser teams we would be unstoppable, but we do not. I know a current player and he told me that they never go over mechanics or change swings. It's just fire away and hope you learn something in summer ball. Not every coach possesses all great coaching traits. Cohen is a great situational coach, but obviously does not teach mechanics. This is not me spewing what I believe, players have said the same to me. We are winning right now on pure talent alone with little mechanical coaching.

If all of you are truly state fans and want the best for this program you would come to realize that we've always had more potential than has been on display, we just haven't unlocked it because of certain issues that have lingered for years. Why would you not want the most out of our players? Last year would never happen with some tweaks.Do you prefer 1-2 run nail biters over no doubter double digit wins on the regular? Yesterday that UCF pitcher kept burying the 0-2/1-2 pitch into the dirt around home plate, but we kept swinging. Evevtually he started elevating them on his own when he got tired be we had success. A "hitting" coach or someone with half a brain should have been relaying this message to our hitters. For one he throws more pitches, but most importantly you get it in his head that he's going to have to throw it for a strike. It's simple baseball.

Im not bitching about the season. I just see the potential there if these hitters got coaching. Other than "bunt here" hit and run now" "steal second". I've personally witnessed players who struggled in high school, go to college under a mechanics based coach who sends them deep into the minors. What could this same coach do with top 10-15 recruiting classes?

And for those of you laughing about the Mangum 10-15 hrs, he makes enough contact to hit more than that but his size limits him right now. Power is all about leverage and although size helps, it does not fully impact power. A few tweaks to his stance and he would add 10-20 % on those fly ball outs. The 300-310 ft fly balls, to left and right that get caught would be homeruns with a few simple tweaks. Those 360ft pops in the game would be souvenirs. It doesn't take much to gain power, you just have to be told when what and how to do it.

Let me explain in a different way so most of you can relate. What if Mullen took the Cohen approach with his players, especially Dak? Dak never develops and hardly sees the field. if he sees the field he is is just your average player. This can be said with most of the footballs players we develop. They never would end up where they do without proper mechanics driven coaching. You think Dak would've been drafted for it not hom working on his mechanics? Do any of you actually believe we would've had the season we had two years ago or even the last season without a mechanics based head coach?

Here's the point. Mullen has done more with less. Johnny has been given much more ceiling potential in his sport than Dan. You give Mullen a few top 10-15 classes and we'll be knocking on the door of Atlanta and Playoffs every year. Why does one sport get a pass on teaching the game and proper mechanics? Ask the players they'll tell you the same. It frustrates me to see Dan burning up a Ford Taurus on Old 82 while Johnny puts around in his Ferarri around 55 on the Autobahn. The potential is there to be a dominant force every year. So why aren't we?

What mechanical change makes hitters lay off breaking balls in the dirt?

If you know the answer to this then YOU are the one who has done less with more than anyone in the history of the game...if not mankind.

smootness
06-05-2016, 01:42 PM
Dude, Rouge...you've said multiple times that our HC, who has now won SEC titles at two different schools and has put himself on the doorstep of a national title, is so lacking in his coaching ability that he consistently puts out a team that is nowhere close to its potential. And you've also said more than once that you could do a better job.

You can't come out with that and then blast others for being ignorant.

You're basically saying that our team this year is clearly capable of going something like 54-4, we're just not being coached right. It's pure insanity.

monroedawg5646
06-05-2016, 01:59 PM
You could hire Barry Bonds to coach hitting, and give Mangum a black magic Easton strait out of 1985 and he couldn't get to 15 bombs. Dumbest shit I ever read....

CadaverDawg
06-05-2016, 02:34 PM

http://p.fod4.com/upload/aff3567c9abaad4b798a350dc1e1b1a3/3niAkdzQiOTxZUUZ642W_Steve%20Harvey%20Face%2012.gi f

JohnnyQuid
06-05-2016, 02:41 PM
worse than will james.

Dawg61
06-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Mangum can hit a ball over those mountains

JohnnyQuid
06-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Mangum can hit a ball over those mountains

yea man if only he had a coach that knew anything about baseball** ha

I'd pull my hair out if mangum turned into a fly ball guy trying to hit bombs.

Homedawg
06-05-2016, 03:09 PM
worse than will james.

I never thought I'd say it, but yes. Yes he is. It's close. Damn close. But we have a winner.