PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the bracket

CadaverDawg
06-04-2016, 11:32 PM
I've been saying since the SEC tourney that I'd rather face as few SEC teams as possible moving forward. Not just because the SEC is good...but bc I feel like Florida, LSU, & A&M kinda had our pitching figured out.

Well, I just realized tonight that Florida, A&M, and LSU are all on the opposite side of the bracket. Vandy, Ole Miss, & USCe are on our side...with 2 being eliminated already obviously.

Now, we have a lot of work to do before any of that matters, but you have to like those guys being on the other side if it gets to that point. I think Louisville & Miami are the best on our side..,but Miami seems beatable, and Louisville is much more human away from their field. On a neutral site, the way we've played on the road this year...we'd have to be considered more and more of a threat to win it all the further this thing goes. Or at least to win our side of the bracket.

Obviously we have more work to do and will need Hudson to figure something out...but I'm just doing the "fan" thing and glancing ahead a little. Am I way off to be liking the way this is setting up?

ckDOG
06-04-2016, 11:37 PM
No you aren't off base liking the setup. Some people weren't crying about the somewhat tough regional draw and saw the upside for super regional draw and beyond. We get through this regional, we have a nice road to and in Omaha. Lots to look forward to...

BayouDawg
06-04-2016, 11:38 PM
I was thinking the same thing while looking at the bracket. And as for Hudson does he not have a changeup? The reason I ask is because all his pitches seem so hard. I think teams can just sit on something in the 90's and not have to really worry about off speed at all. Is this something that anyone else has noticed?

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-04-2016, 11:48 PM
Good observations Cadaver. A rematch with A&M in Omaha for all the marbles? I'm not sure I could watch.

Bayou...you may be on to something. Wish Sexton could teach him his changeup before next weekend. But in my opinion, Hudson's problem is from the neck up. He's a major leaguer from the neck down. He's got to get more aggressive if he wants to make it. If you looked at his body language on Friday it looked like he was the visiting pitcher instead of the home pitcher. Matter of fact, I didn't see a visiting pitcher this weekend look as intimidated as he was Friday. I just don't think he has the confidence in himself. When he faced less talented teams at the end of the year, he looked dominant again. I hope he proves me wrong going forward, and I'll gladly eat crow, but I think the stage is too big for him.

War Machine Dawg
06-04-2016, 11:56 PM
I was thinking the same thing while looking at the bracket. And as for Hudson does he not have a changeup? The reason I ask is because all his pitches seem so hard. I think teams can just sit on something in the 90's and not have to really worry about off speed at all. Is this something that anyone else has noticed?

That was mentioned by one of the color guys doing our broadcast 2-3 weeks ago. Maybe it was the LSU game in the SECT. Basically said that all of Huddy's stuff is hard without a lot of separation and he doesn't have that change of speed pitch. And when you think about it, that seems accurate: 4 seam fast 95+, cutter 92+, and slider 88+. He's not throwing anything that's 85 or less. It's too damn late for us to give hime one now, but I guarantee you a changeup will be the first thing a minor league pitching coach has him develop. When there's only approximately 7 MPH difference in your 3 pitches, that's a big problem.

BayouDawg
06-05-2016, 12:08 AM
That was mentioned by one of the color guys doing our broadcast 2-3 weeks ago. Maybe it was the LSU game in the SECT. Basically said that all of Huddy's stuff is hard without a lot of separation and he doesn't have that change of speed pitch. And when you think about it, that seems accurate: 4 seam fast 95+, cutter 92+, and slider 88+. He's not throwing anything that's 85 or less. It's too damn late for us to give hime one now, but I guarantee you a changeup will be the first thing a minor league pitching coach has him develop. When there's only approximately 7 MPH difference in your 3 pitches, that's a big problem.

I wonder why he hasn't developed a changeup or some other off speed pitch. that seems strange to me

starkvegasdawg
06-05-2016, 12:16 AM
I wonder why he hasn't developed a changeup or some other off speed pitch. that seems strange to me

Guess he really hasn't needed it so far. He's been able to overmatch everybody. But WMD is right. That will be the first thing a minor league coach will do. MLB batters would destroy a pitcher with no change of speed.

Coldsleeve Jr.
06-05-2016, 12:29 AM
I've been saying since the SEC tourney that I'd rather face as few SEC teams as possible moving forward. Not just because the SEC is good...but bc I feel like Florida, LSU, & A&M kinda had our pitching figured out.

Well, I just realized tonight that Florida, A&M, and LSU are all on the opposite side of the bracket. Vandy, Ole Miss, & USCe are on our side...with 2 being eliminated already obviously.

Now, we have a lot of work to do before any of that matters, but you have to like those guys being on the other side if it gets to that point. I think Louisville & Miami are the best on our side..,but Miami seems beatable, and Louisville is much more human away from their field. On a neutral site, the way we've played on the road this year...we'd have to be considered more and more of a threat to win it all the further this thing goes. Or at least to win our side of the bracket.

Obviously we have more work to do and will need Hudson to figure something out...but I'm just doing the "fan" thing and glancing ahead a little. Am I way off to be liking the way this is setting up?

You're right on the money. Probably no facts to support but I've always felt if beat a team 2/3 in reg season your chances of beating once during post season is dramatically less. So hard to beat any team 3-4 times in a single year.

cujo
06-05-2016, 07:09 AM
You're right on the money. Probably no facts to support but I've always felt if beat a team 2/3 in reg season your chances of beating once during post season is dramatically less. So hard to beat any team 3-4 times in a single year.

May be a little hard to handle. Sexton, on the other hand, pitched like a guy who wants to improve his draft stock. It's one of the flaws with the timing of the MLB draft/ CWS thing

Percho
06-05-2016, 07:29 AM

I have been saying all year to myself that Hudson needs another pitch.

I seen it dawg
06-05-2016, 08:47 AM
He was throwing a few before the game during flat ground out by the wall. He really needs to develop that pitch but unfortunately this late in the season it's tough mentally for some to roll it out there in games of this magnitude. Just got to trust it.

AlmostPositive
06-05-2016, 08:55 AM
I browsed through Louisiana-Lafayette's schedule. I'm inclined to say we would have about a 75% of taking 2 of 3 from them on a neutral field, 85% at Dudy Noble.