PDA

View Full Version : Why are these A&M Toolbags wearing their class rings during a baseball game??

RougeDawg
06-04-2016, 10:56 PM
Holy shit they are a weird bunch.

Jack Lambert
06-04-2016, 11:16 PM
they think it's cool not to have female cheerleaders.

tireddawg
06-04-2016, 11:28 PM
Maybe they found them in their toolbars..

IMissJack
06-05-2016, 10:27 AM

Didn't see their game, but I can tell you getting an Aggie Ring is right at the top of A&M traditions. They are the Balfour's biggest client and have a 10 foot Aggie ring in front of their alumni building. I think their alumni group pays for half of the ring or a portion of it. Traditionally you "dunk" your ring in a pitcher of beer at the Dixie Chicken restaurant/bar and drink the pitcher.

My wife is an aggie.

DancingRabbit
06-05-2016, 12:12 PM
It's definitely a thing with the Ags. I've worked with a couple Aggies before and they wore their class rings. I don't recall alums of any other school wearing class rings in their 30s and older.

RocketDawg
06-05-2016, 12:32 PM
It's definitely a thing with the Ags. I've worked with a couple Aggies before and they wore their class rings. I don't recall alums of any other school wearing class rings in their 30s and older.

I wore my MSU one until I was about 30. It's now in the safe deposit box, along with my high school one. Wearing one isn't as bad as wearing a frat pin after you graduate though, IMO.

Duckdog
06-05-2016, 01:38 PM
Didn't see their game, but I can tell you getting an Aggie Ring is right at the top of A&M traditions. They are the Balfour's biggest client and have a 10 foot Aggie ring in front of their alumni building. I think their alumni group pays for half of the ring or a portion of it. Traditionally you "dunk" your ring in a pitcher of beer at the Dixie Chicken restaurant/bar and drink the pitcher.
L
My wife is an aggie.
The Dixie chicken is a badass bar. I've drank a ton in there and played many a dominoes. I'm betting my initials are still carved on the wall with my thin gf now wife's. (My best friends older brother is an aggie and it was a hell of a time for some high school kids)

DawgHouseUnited
06-05-2016, 02:11 PM

My old boss still wore his from State, and he's around 70. And he's not a big donor or anything, but he wears that ring more than he wedding ring.

Taog Redloh
06-05-2016, 02:14 PM
I am starting to figure out how douchey the aTm fanbase really is.

gravedigger
06-05-2016, 02:15 PM

and you are a disaster of a poster on this board. If you arent going to take the time to learn other schools traditions, maybe hiding your ignorance would be the best idea.

try that with baseball too.

Dallas_Dawg
06-05-2016, 02:22 PM
I am starting to figure out how douchey the aTm fanbase really is.
Me too and it's as bad as they say

RocketDawg
06-05-2016, 02:57 PM
Me too and it's as bad as they say

I don't really care about the rings, or any of their other traditions. But those male cheerleaders just get to me. I don't understand that at all.

M.Fillmore
06-05-2016, 05:23 PM
The weirdest tradition is "Squeeze Ags." When aTm is losing the male cheerleaders squeeze their nuts to empathize with the pain of the football team.

Duckdog
06-05-2016, 05:56 PM
Yeah I didn't do any of that gay shit

AusTexDawg
06-05-2016, 06:42 PM
Some of the Ag's traditions are pretty neat, like the swaying back and forth at the football games, but they have some weird stuff, especially all their jargon. As with many fanbases, they can get out of hand in large numbers, but for they most part they've always been really friendly when I've been in College Station to watch State play.

MaroonWhiteAggie
10-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Howdy Y'all,

We do have some unique and difficult to understand traditions, that I will grant you. With that being said I'd like to try shed a second's worth of light on a general statement to consider with them...Please keep in mind that from 1876 until 1958 A&M was an all male military school. That in combination with the rule that traditions don't change (ever) is why so many of them don't make sense to outsiders (and even some of the student body). I remember attending my first yell practice and thinking that the yells didn't make much sense...until I saw an elderly alum...in his 80's doing the exact same thing, then it all started to click. Most of that stuff was written back in the 1910's & 20's and so forth, they don't translate generationally.

The ring is yet another thing that we get called out on quite a bit. The only real justification for it is the Senior Military Academy mentality. We (as a nation) have the main military academies, West Point, Annapolis, and the Air Force Academy...and then there are the six senior military academies: A&M, Norwich, The Citadel, VMI, Va. Tech and so forth... Anyhow, long story short Military Academy Grads wear their rings for life, this is something that the senior military academies picked up and started doing as well. A good friend of mine's grandfather who left A&M to pilot a B-17 in WWII and then came back only took off his ring three times in his life...He mailed it back to A&M twice, once when they made membership in the Corps of Cadets optional, and again in the 60's when they allowed women in. The last time he took it off was to give it to his grandson when he became eligible.

Ok, enough on my school that y'all could probably care less about...and more on y'all. For the past five years a close group of friends and I have had a pretty large tailgate at A&M. Last year we had a great time with some MSU folks and are hoping to again as often as possible. I love the similarities between our two schools all the way down to our colors. Y'all have a great program and an awesome coach. The verdict is still out but some friends and I are going to try to make the trip to Starkville to take it all in. Are there any recommendations that y'all may have?

We had a close relationship in that last horrible conference we were in with Oklahoma State based on the same criteria...big Agricultural schools, etc. I'll be honest, I love pulling for State as long as it ain't against the Ags. I hope we make the trip this year, and we'll be keeping the beer iced down and ready for y'all next year. Hope to see y'all soon.

Hail State! & Gig 'Em,

Gutter Cobreh
10-13-2016, 10:55 AM
Not cool to bump a thread from 4 months ago as your first post....

scottycameron
10-13-2016, 11:02 AM
I wish y'all would go back to the big 12 and take that Missouri school with you.

msstate7
10-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Holy crap... how did you even find that old thread to bump it?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-13-2016, 11:11 AM
WTH? I'm with msstate7 what circumstances led you to find this thread 4 months later? Curious

Dawg61
10-13-2016, 11:11 AM
Howdy Y'all,

We do have some unique and difficult to understand traditions, that I will grant you. With that being said I'd like to try shed a second's worth of light on a general statement to consider with them...Please keep in mind that from 1876 until 1958 A&M was an all male military school. That in combination with the rule that traditions don't change (ever) is why so many of them don't make sense to outsiders (and even some of the student body). I remember attending my first yell practice and thinking that the yells didn't make much sense...until I saw an elderly alum...in his 80's doing the exact same thing, then it all started to click. Most of that stuff was written back in the 1910's & 20's and so forth, they don't translate generationally.

The ring is yet another thing that we get called out on quite a bit. The only real justification for it is the Senior Military Academy mentality. We (as a nation) have the main military academies, West Point, Annapolis, and the Air Force Academy...and then there are the six senior military academies: A&M, Norwich, The Citadel, VMI, Va. Tech and so forth... Anyhow, long story short Military Academy Grads wear their rings for life, this is something that the senior military academies picked up and started doing as well. A good friend of mine's grandfather who left A&M to pilot a B-17 in WWII and then came back only took off his ring three times in his life...He mailed it back to A&M twice, once when they made membership in the Corps of Cadets optional, and again in the 60's when they allowed women in. The last time he took it off was to give it to his grandson when he became eligible.

Ok, enough on my school that y'all could probably care less about...and more on y'all. For the past five years a close group of friends and I have had a pretty large tailgate at A&M. Last year we had a great time with some MSU folks and are hoping to again as often as possible. I love the similarities between our two schools all the way down to our colors. Y'all have a great program and an awesome coach. The verdict is still out but some friends and I are going to try to make the trip to Starkville to take it all in. Are there any recommendations that y'all may have?

We had a close relationship in that last horrible conference we were in with Oklahoma State based on the same criteria...big Agricultural schools, etc. I'll be honest, I love pulling for State as long as it ain't against the Ags. I hope we make the trip this year, and we'll be keeping the beer iced down and ready for y'all next year. Hope to see y'all soon.

Hail State! & Gig 'Em,

Bruh we don't like anybody so don't take it personal. That said I think aTm has been a great addition to the SEC.

MaroonWhiteAggie
10-13-2016, 11:18 AM
Y'all it was my mistake, I apologize...I'm new to all of this. I did not see anything on current threads about A&M, but since we are playing y'all coming up I thought I'd find a thread that did (by doing a search for Texas A&M) and then adding to that one. I wasn't aware I was breaking any etiquette or rules. Sorry for posting on the wrong thread at the wrong time.

Dawg61
10-13-2016, 11:22 AM
Y'all it was my mistake, I apologize...I'm new to all of this. I did not see anything on current threads about A&M, but since we are playing y'all coming up I thought I'd find a thread that did (by doing a search for Texas A&M) and then adding to that one. I wasn't aware I was breaking any etiquette or rules. Sorry for posting on the wrong thread at the wrong time.

It's ok just don't run up the middle 30 times in a row on us and never ever throw to the middle of the field. Thanks

Percho
10-13-2016, 11:45 AM

I enjoyed your post. Thanks.

parabrave
10-13-2016, 12:25 PM
They wish they were West Point. I served with both West Pointers and Aggies. Being a ROTC commissioned officer I was friends with more Pointers than Aggies. They were strange.

Gutter Cobreh
10-13-2016, 12:30 PM

You didn't break any etiquette rules per se.... just giving you a hard time...

We can't let all you swaying nutjobs roll into this community and start necroing threads to explain your sissy traditions :)

Dawg61
10-13-2016, 12:47 PM
They wish they were West Point. I served with both West Pointers and Aggies. Being a ROTC commissioned officer I was friends with more Pointers than Aggies. They were strange.

aTm cadets have zero affiliation with the military. They just choose to catfish as if they are. This is the strangest tradition aTm has I think.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-13-2016, 01:24 PM
wow. I didnt know this. I had always thought they were military.

MaroonWhiteAggie
10-13-2016, 01:47 PM
Here's the skinny on that:

All cadets Freshman through Sophomore year are required to affiliate under ROTC. They are allowed to select their respective branch. Upon becoming a junior, they have the option to become a D&C (Drum & Ceremony) Cadet, or pursue their commission in the military. Some are awarded scholarships and contracts early, some are not. Its really a case by case and branch by branch basis. There are a great deal of Marine cadets that do not commission in the Marine Corps via ROTC, they do it separately through the Marine Platoon Leaders Course or PLC.

So no, not every cadet is required to go into the military, but a number of them do. And in World War II A&M commissioned more officers than Annapolis and West Point combined.

But I digress, I didn't want to jump in on this thread to start spouting off Aggie history (that y'all could probably care less about). I did however want o learn what I could about MSU from real Bulldogs and not just what I could read from the university website. As I was saying, we had a great time partying with a bunch of y'all last year, and seriously cannot wait to do it again. If I can ever figure out how to do it, I have to post a picture of something I have been working on about MSU, I hope it'd be a fitting tribute.

Y'all have been in the SEC since its inception. Its safe to say there are a great deal that don't want us here, but we are nonetheless. I just think its cool that a few weekends every fall I'll get to drink beer with some cool folks from Mississippi or Auburn Alabama that I would have never met. Its a lot different from the likes of the D-cell battery throwing red raiders we used to have to attempt to tailgate with.

scottycameron
10-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Count me as one that doesn't want your ass here.

Dawg61
10-13-2016, 02:02 PM
We ring cowbells and run 140lb running backs up the middle all game long. Those are our only two traditions.

EngDawg
10-13-2016, 06:02 PM
Wearing one isn't as bad as wearing a frat pin after you graduate though, IMO.

A PLEDGE PIN! ON YOUR UNIFORM!!

ETDawg
10-19-2016, 08:22 AM
maroonandwhite: If you show back up, I sent you a DM/PM

Political Hack
10-19-2016, 10:00 AM
Howdy Y'all,

Hail State! & Gig 'Em,

He's not from OM and he comes in peace. Simmer down folks and give the man some good recommendations (even though they do weird shit).

Political Hack
10-19-2016, 10:04 AM
We eat at Little Dooey's, tailgate in the now grass covered Malfunction Junction, ring cowbells, and always cheer for the 2nd string QB (sans Dak years). That may about cover it.

RocketDawg
10-19-2016, 12:52 PM
We ring cowbells and run 140lb running backs up the middle all game long. Those are our only two traditions.

Holloway's going to be back at his birth weight before too long ....

Jarius
10-19-2016, 01:00 PM
Welcome to ED, Aggie. Don't mind the assholes.

Dawg61
10-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Welcome to ED, Aggie. Don't mind the assholes.

Also welcome to ED, Bulldawgs. Don't mind the assholes.

MaroonWhiteAggie
10-20-2016, 07:51 AM
Rough Week!!!

I was pulling for y'all against that other damn school...no finger nails left after that one.

Took me a while to get back here...busy week with all of the business that comes with taking on the evil empire this weekend. Thanks for the tips on Starkville. We will definitely be sure to check those out if we make it this year for the Maroon & White Bowl. Good luck with Kentucky (though you won't need it). Hopefully the Ags can at least beat the spread that our "friends" in Vegas gave us.

Thanks again, Y'all are pretty damn funny