PDA

View Full Version : Cal State Fullerton it is

CadaverDawg
06-04-2016, 10:48 AM
We will need Sexton to be sharp and to play good D. Hope we can score some runs, but I'm expecting a low scoring game.

Thoughts?

BeardoMSU
06-04-2016, 10:51 AM
We really need Sexton to play well. Considering how he got rocked in the tournament, and Dakota playing so poorly yesterday, we need to get that killer instinct back. I want to see the Sexton that was starring down OM players after he K'd them. We need that dude to show up today.

msstate7
06-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Worried... I think they have the better pitching staff. I'm worried about our infield defense in a game where runs will be hard to come by. Hopefully sexton is on top of his game

Bass Chaser
06-04-2016, 10:56 AM
From what I saw last night, they don't throw hard and play their infield deep. We'll need to be patient at the plate. They don't appear to hit well. I noticed their DH was batting .377 then I saw he only had 20 hits so not sure you can take much from that. Caveat-I really don't know much about baseball.

Saltydog
06-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Saturday guy last night after the rain delay so not sure which starter goes tonight.

basedog
06-04-2016, 11:02 AM
We are by far the better team! Stop the madness, this is the fun time of the year.

Coackjek
06-04-2016, 11:03 AM
We really need Sexton to play well. Considering how he got rocked in the tournament, and Dakota playing so poorly yesterday, we need to get that killer instinct back. I want to see the Sexton that was starring down OM players after he K'd them. We need that dude to show up today.

I've been wondering if a lot of teams haven't figured Hudson out. Even the commentators last night were talking that when he would miss outside the zone to lefties he would use his cutter that would break to their back foot. If the pitch was outside most the time they would lay off waiting for the cutter and turn on it. Hudson couldn't control the outside half of the plate then relied on his cutter too much and they were waiting on it.

smootness
06-04-2016, 11:04 AM
We are by far the better team! Stop the madness, this is the fun time of the year.

Indeed. Worried? Heck no. I'm excited.

msbulldog
06-04-2016, 11:09 AM
We rocked the pitcher with the most strike-outs in the nation yesterday (I know he threw a lot of pitches this week, hi humidity & temp, thank you Cohen) but hitting is contagious. We're playing at the Dude we're comfortable, I like our chances!

CadaverDawg
06-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Worried... I think they have the better pitching staff. I'm worried about our infield defense in a game where runs will be hard to come by. Hopefully sexton is on top of his game

msstate7, the day you aren't worried before a game, is when I will be very worried.

Bullsy
06-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Hail State!!

Here we 17'ing come CSF!!

Thanks Utes

Good luck Boston College

GTHOM

CadaverDawg
06-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Hail State!!

Here we 17'ing come CSF!!

Thanks Utes

Good luck Boston College

GTHOM

Agreed.

You do know Ole Miss is playing Tulane today though, right? BC beat Tulane yesterday

basedog
06-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Regardless of Cal Fullerton's "loaded pitching staff", we've seen better staffs. We've had timely hitting all year, no reason to think it will stop imo.

Also, yesterday Gridley, Holland and Stovall made some outstanding defensive plays. Our defense is ok, we seem to be better defensively at home plus if there are to better outfielders than Jake and Robson in this region please inform me.

I watched our dugout yesterday and it was full of life, these guys are motivated plus I've said this all year, this team has the "It", they are special and proof is winning the outright SEC.

Hey I expect a good close game, I just like this team, we are loaded up and down the lineup with power and guys who can run.

Hailstate!

confucius say
06-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Would anybody consider going Houston instead of sexton?

GreenheadDawg
06-04-2016, 11:23 AM
I sure hope our team doesn't have the same attitude as this board.

msstate7
06-04-2016, 11:24 AM
msstate7, the day you aren't worried before a game, is when I will be very worried.

Haha... I do worry a little

smootness
06-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Would anybody consider going Houston instead of sexton?

Absolutely not. Why would you?

starkvegasdawg
06-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Already getting some pop up showers here in Vegas. Humidity bordering on oppressive. Saving grace is that it's still in the low 80's.

smootness
06-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Already getting some pop up showers here in Vegas. Humidity bordering on oppressive. Saving grace is that it's still in the low 80's.

That humidity will help us against CSF if it sticks around.

Bully13
06-04-2016, 11:27 AM
We owe csf, my memory of our history with them is not good. We need to get our swag back.

confucius say
06-04-2016, 11:28 AM
Absolutely not. Why would you?

Just throwing it out there. More dominant and better stuff, obviously he has been hit or miss though.

smootness
06-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Just throwing it out there. More dominant and better stuff, obviously he has been hit or miss though.

Sexton has the lower WHIP and the better K rate.

Now is not the time to get weird.

mparkerfd20
06-04-2016, 11:34 AM
I'm less worried about this game than I was yesterday's and that says a lot. I think we win today something like 7-2

starkvegasdawg
06-04-2016, 11:34 AM
That humidity will help us against CSF if it sticks around.

It ain't going anywhere. May get some rain to drop the temp and make it more tolerable but that's about it. Perfect scenario would be a 15 minute storm roll through then the sun come out and really steam things up.

confucius say
06-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Sexton has the lower WHIP and the better K rate.

Now is not the time to get weird.

Conventional wisdom def says you are right. And I agree.

starkvegasdawg
06-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Radar shows two areas of storms starting to develop. I'm guessing both off the outflow boundaries left from the storms last night. The first is along and north of Highway 82 into NE MS. The other is down between Meridian and Laurel. All of them moving basically north. If these trends hold then Starkville may be looking at possible weather in 3-4 hours depending how fast they track.

msbulldog
06-04-2016, 11:46 AM
thanks

CSUFOrange
06-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Looking forward to it! Most likely will see the Big West Freshman Pitcher of the Year Colton Eastman taking the hill tonight. Eastman (RHP, 8-2, 2.11) struck out 93 in 94 innings of work, has the best ERA on the team, and is coming off a dominant 8.1IP at Long Beach State in a 2-1 win clinching the Big West title.

Should be a good one! Glad to see the MSU fans welcoming ours, especially our superfan Keith. Good luck, let's have a fun one tonight (assuming we get the game in)!

smootness
06-04-2016, 11:51 AM
That kid's a freshman? Dang.

msstate7
06-04-2016, 11:52 AM

Good. I think our crowd has a better chance of rattling a freshman than an upperclassman

CSUFOrange
06-04-2016, 11:57 AM
Good. I think our crowd has a better chance of rattling a freshman than an upperclassman

Colton responded exceptionally well to a pressure situation and in front of the 2nd biggest crowd Long Beach St's ever had just last week, now it's not close to what'll be at Dudy Noble tonight, but we'll see what he's made of!

CadaverDawg
06-04-2016, 11:57 AM

Remember when we faced the Pac12 freshman pitcher of the year in Omaha? The dude with bad acne. Hopefully today is similar

CadaverDawg
06-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Colton responded exceptionally well to a pressure situation and in front of the 2nd biggest crowd Long Beach St's ever had just last week, now it's not close to what'll be at Dudy Noble tonight, but we'll see what he's made of!

Is he a RHP or LHP?

starkvegasdawg
06-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Looking forward to it! Most likely will see the Big West Freshman Pitcher of the Year Colton Eastman taking the hill tonight. Eastman (RHP, 8-2, 2.11) struck out 93 in 94 innings of work, has the best ERA on the team, and is coming off a dominant 8.1IP at Long Beach State in a 2-1 win clinching the Big West title.

Should be a good one! Glad to see the MSU fans welcoming ours, especially our superfan Keith. Good luck, let's have a fun one tonight (assuming we get the game in)!
We're going to ask that freshman

http://i.imgur.com/OpS

smootness
06-04-2016, 11:59 AM
I didn't mean to suggest we can't beat him, just saying that's an extremely impressive year for a freshman.

Jack Lambert
I don't know why you all sound like a bunch of *****s.

1. We won 8 of 9 SEC weekend Series.
2. We are playing at home
3. This will be the biggest crowd this CSF team has ever played in front of. They will get rattle from the harassment.
4. There is a reason why there is no Regional West of Texas. The teams out there is just down and this helps CSF stats.
5. We are better then them.

CSUFOrange
RHP

smootness
06-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Is he a RHP or LHP?

He's a righty. So probably more of a base running game than a mashing game. Mangum, Robson, and Lowe hit righties really well; Rooker and Humphreys obviously don't.

msstate7
06-04-2016, 12:02 PM
Do we stick with marrero catching sexton?

smootness
06-04-2016, 12:04 PM

I probably would against the righty, and DH Kruger.

CadaverDawg
06-04-2016, 12:08 PM

Yes bc Elih is a switch hitter.

I like facing Righty's because Mangum & Lowe typically do well....but Righty's hurt Rooker & Hump. Wonder if we'll DH Kruger today since Rooker doesn't hit RHP well? Also, I expect Holland to start.

CadaverDawg
06-04-2016, 12:10 PM
I don't know why you all sound like a bunch of *****s.

1. We won 8 of 9 SEC weekend Series.
2. We are playing at home
3. This will be the biggest crowd this CSF team has ever played in front of. They will get rattle from the harassment.
4. There is a reason why there is no Regional West of Texas. The teams out there is just down and this helps CSF stats.
5. We are better then them.

Who is acting like we're going to lose? Like 1-2 out of 50 comments?

I think we're just analyzing the opponent...not thinking we'll get beat.

I have a quiet confidence about this evening

smootness
06-04-2016, 12:12 PM
I would go with Holland as well.

RF Mangum
DH Kruger
1B Lowe
3B Collins
CF Robson
LF Humphreys
SS Gridley
2B Holland
C Marrero

CadaverDawg
06-04-2016, 12:15 PM

RF Mangum
DH Kruger
1B Lowe
3B Collins
CF Robson
LF Humphreys
SS Gridley
2B Holland
C Marrero

Yep. I think you might see Elih between Hump & Gridley to keep the alternating L/R matchup though. Other than that, I like that lineup a lot.

Noxdog
06-04-2016, 12:18 PM
I think Cohen will hit Marrero either 6 or 7 and Grid/JH 8 & 9. I'm not so sure I would take Rooker's bat out of the lineup. He is heating up.

RF Mangum
DH Kruger
1B Lowe
3B Collins
CF Robson
LF Humphreys
SS Gridley
2B Holland
C Marrero

AlmostPositive
06-04-2016, 12:42 PM
They'll probably take all the fun out of the game but eventually lose. I already don't like them.

smootness
06-04-2016, 12:43 PM
I think Cohen will hit Marrero either 6 or 7 and Grid/JH 8 & 9. I'm not so sure I would take Rooker's bat out of the lineup. He is heating up.

I would be ok with Rooker in LF instead of Humphreys. I just wouldn't put them both in there.

the59dawg
06-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Simple thing is to let Krueger catch and get all the bats in play w/ only one weak bat at bottom of lineup instead of two. Much better offense and strong catching regardless.