PDA

View Full Version : Interesting scores yesterday

basedog
06-04-2016, 09:14 AM
Only two #1 seeds to lose are Sc and Om, 7 #2's lost. Not sure who didn't play, seems there is a toss up when being a 2 or 3 seed at least so for.

Also, the crowd got into SEMO's stud pitcher yesterday, he had a very unusual windup, crowd picked up on it and with each stage it was being shouted by mostly the gray hairs, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Well the dude seemed to speed up his routine. After reading his post game comments he said he wasn't expecting that and he it was annoying.

This is the second time I have seen this by our great fans, I want to say late 80's or maybe early 90's, there was a pitcher (i forgot the team) who came in to relieve in a regional game, he would touch the bill of his cap several times before he pitched. Crowds starting counting each time, 1, 2 , 3 and it had a big distract for him as finally he cracked. He started to touch the bill of his cap and he stopped suddenly and we fans roared. Coach takes him out and his teammates were even laughing.

Great being back hosting and watching live, also you sure don't hear the bashing like you do while listening our watching from home. Never give up Dawgs, especially ED wanna be coaches!

Back at the Dude tonight!

HailState!

Coackjek
06-04-2016, 10:47 AM
Also, the crowd got into SEMO's stud pitcher yesterday, he had a very unusual windup, crowd picked up on it and with each stage it was being shouted by mostly the gray hairs, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Well the dude seemed to speed up his routine. After reading his post game comments he said he wasn't expecting that and he it was annoying.

This had me rolling. Didn't know it was more of the gray hairs. Reminds me of something my granddaddy would do. We would go to see the Mets at Smith-Wills and he was always one of the loudest in the seats. This is why you fight so hard for regionals/ supers. Home field advantage is an awesome drug.

AlmostPositive
06-04-2016, 10:50 AM
Harassing the center fielder was probably what won the game yesterday.

RougeDawg
06-04-2016, 11:19 AM
Harassing the center fielder was probably what won the game yesterday.

This. He dropped two balls that should be been caught. One was a 3 run bomb. The other was the inside the Parker. 5 runs that should've never scored but that's baseball.

basedog
06-04-2016, 11:27 AM
This. He dropped two balls that should be been caught. One was a 3 run bomb. The other was the inside the Parker. 5 runs that should've never scored but that's baseball.

Home field advantage plus those balls were tagged. it ain't like they were lazy fly balls, pressure in playoffs can be brutal especially at Dudy Noble.

RougeDawg
06-04-2016, 11:33 AM
Home field advantage plus those balls were tagged. it ain't like they were lazy fly balls, pressure in playoffs can be brutal especially at Dudy Noble.

Not saying they weren't hit well. Just they could have been outs very easily, and the outcome of the game different. That's why you play for home field in every level and sport.

Bullsy
06-04-2016, 11:34 AM

This is the second time I have seen this by our great fans, I want to say late 80's or maybe early 90's, there was a pitcher (i forgot the team) who came in to relieve in a regional game, he would touch the bill of his cap several times before he pitched. Crowds starting counting each time, 1, 2 , 3 and it had a big distract for him as finally he cracked. He started to touch the bill of his cap and he stopped suddenly and we fans roared. Coach takes him out and his teammates were even laughing.

Great being back hosting and watching live, also you sure don't hear the bashing like you do while listening our watching from home. Never give up Dawgs, especially ED wanna be coaches!

HailState!

it was either BYU or North Carolina. It was early 90's if I remember right.

Pinto
06-04-2016, 11:35 AM
I remember a kid from Notre Dame or some school with gray unis in a regional that would pull the back of his jersey before getting in the box. Fans started counting that and getting in his head. DNF fans can own your mind.

smootness
06-04-2016, 11:39 AM
That kind of thing has to bother you as a player. If nothing else, you can't help but think about it, and that messes with your focus. And changing what you do to get them to stop obviously isn't going to help you.

I think the only way to combat it is to find a way to laugh at it and even start embellishing it more.

basedog
06-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Not saying they weren't hit well. Just they could have been outs very easily, and the outcome of the game different. That's why you play for home field in every level and sport.

It goes both ways Rouge, If Hudson and Brown didn't walk batters with no outs those 5 runs may not have scored either.
But yes home field advantage is huge at Dudy Noble, over 9,300 yesterday and bad weather and all probably be over 10K tonight.

smootness
06-04-2016, 11:53 AM
I really don't care just how much home field advantage helped us because we'll have it all the way to Omaha.

And once you get there, it's a crapshoot.

BulldogBear
06-04-2016, 01:23 PM
That kind of thing has to bother you as a player. If nothing else, you can't help but think about it, and that messes with your focus. And changing what you do to get them to stop obviously isn't going to help you.

I think the only way to combat it is to find a way to laugh at it and even start embellishing it more.

This. You have to embrace and maybe even exaggerate it and have fun.

Vandelay Industries
06-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Vandy is getting blasted by Xavier 7-1 top 7th

RougeDawg
06-04-2016, 02:51 PM
It goes both ways Rouge, If Hudson and Brown didn't walk batters with no outs those 5 runs may not have scored either.
But yes home field advantage is huge at Dudy Noble, over 9,300 yesterday and bad weather and all probably be over 10K tonight.

Um, I'm gonna have to disagree. Two plays that should have been caught and get caught 99% of the time that reaulted in 5 total runs far outweighs a few walks. Those two fly balls would have ended the inning each time, but instead a team scored 5 runs. You can work your way out of walks, albeit difficult. You cans give teams extra outs any way you want to look at it and expect to win.

ETA; These plays technically weren't errors but were as bad as Buckner letting that ball dribble to through his legs. Outfielders don't get errors like infielders do but those two mistakes were inexcusable by anyone who has watched a handful of baseball games.

smootness
06-04-2016, 02:55 PM
Um, I'm gonna have to disagree. Two plays that should have been caught and get caught 99% of the time that reaulted in 5 total runs far outweighs a few walks. Those two fly balls wild have ended the innin each time, but instead a team scored 5 runs. You can work our way out of walks, albeit difficult. You cans give teams extra puts any way you want to look at it and expect to win.

ETA; These plays technically weren't errors but were as bad as Bickner letting that ball dribble to through his legs. Outfielders don't get errors like infielders do but those two mistakes were inexcusable by anyone who has watched a handful of baseball games.

Why are we worrying about this? We won yesterday. Yes, getting into the CF's head may have helped. Also, Hudson didn't pitch well.

60sdog
06-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Only two #1 seeds to lose are Sc and Om, 7 #2's lost. Not sure who didn't play, seems there is a toss up when being a 2 or 3 seed at least so for.

HailState!

That was the Indiana State pitcher in the 89 regional.

Engine
06-05-2016, 07:04 AM
I remember a kid from Notre Dame or some school with gray unis in a regional that would pull the back of his jersey before getting in the box. Fans started counting that and getting in his head. DNF fans can own your mind.

Probably O'Toole from the 2000 regional. If memory serves he also bulldozed our catcher and caught hell from then on.