PDA

View Full Version : Rick Cleveland article

CadaverDawg
06-03-2016, 09:59 PM
I've always been a big Rick Cleveland guy...

http://mississippitoday.org/2016/06/03/starkville-crowd-was-a-winner-for-bulldogs/

tireddawg
06-03-2016, 10:11 PM
I like clean and simple articles like that.

War Machine Dawg
06-03-2016, 10:18 PM
Gotta hand it to The Guv, that was a damn good read. Just wish whoever is formatting that site would include an extra space between paragraphs. The wall of text is annoying to read.

drunkernhelldawg
06-03-2016, 10:26 PM
Great story.

Commercecomet24
06-03-2016, 10:30 PM
Now that was a great read! Haven't seen a positive article in quite awhile! Good one Rick!

gravedigger
06-03-2016, 10:30 PM

http://mississippitoday.org/2016/06/03/starkville-crowd-was-a-winner-for-bulldogs/

I haven't and Ill tell you why. He did the very same thing to MSU in the early 80's with coverage of the msu vs usm games. We were the bad guys and the self proclaimed 'nasty bunch' were his darlings.

Well bite my fanny rick. I didn't care for you then, and don't now. Oh, And if that wasn't enough, you also allowed that buthurt little moron rusty Hampton to do his damage during our investigation and have NEVER written about the mistreatment of MSU during that time you were the editor of the clarion ledger.

If yall think these days are bad, never think they weren't worse.

Spiderman
06-03-2016, 10:34 PM

Why?

He's always been ok to baseball, but he hated Jackie.

Rick's ok writing, on an small weekly, but make no mistake... he's a Mustard Buzzard homer all the way.

AlmostPositive
06-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Actual journalism... I was beginning to forget what it looks like

PassInterference
06-04-2016, 01:24 AM
Rick is a great writer. That article is so refreshing compared to Kellenberger, who writes like a below average message board poster.

My only beef on Rick is that he thought it was nuts to get rid of Larry Templeton. I recall he wrote a big piece about how much MSU grew under LT, which was all true. But it neglected how much LT left on the table and the rest of the SEC accelerating away from us. It I only took 1-2 years of Greg Byrne to show what a real AD could do with MSU.

Occasional disagreements aside, Rick is a Mississippi sports encyclopedia and a great writer.

It's a damn shame the Clarion Ledger replaced him with what we have now.

oldwave
06-04-2016, 06:14 AM
I haven't and Ill tell you why. He did the very same thing to MSU in the early 80's with coverage of the msu vs usm games. We were the bad guys and the self proclaimed 'nasty bunch' were his darlings.

Well bite my fanny rick. I didn't care for you then, and don't now. Oh, And if that wasn't enough, you also allowed that buthurt little moron rusty Hampton to do his damage during our investigation and have NEVER written about the mistreatment of MSU during that time you were the editor of the clarion ledger.

If yall think these days are bad, never think they weren't worse.

^This times ten. I was fresh out of State, living in Jackson at the time. I called his home early one Sunday morning, woke his wife and him to tell him how I felt about his MSU coverage. They weren't happy but I felt better.

coastdoglover
06-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Rick is a great writer. That article is so refreshing compared to Kellenberger, who writes like a below average message board poster.

My only beef on Rick is that he thought it was nuts to get rid of Larry Templeton. I recall he wrote a big piece about how much MSU grew under LT, which was all true. But it neglected how much LT left on the table and the rest of the SEC accelerating away from us. It I only took 1-2 years of Greg Byrne to show what a real AD could do with MSU.

Occasional disagreements aside, Rick is a Mississippi sports encyclopedia and a great writer.

Rick. Always had a front row seat on the plane with LT. He just took care of the guy who took care of him. Maybe he has decided to be fair now she nice he is an independent journalist.

shannondawg
06-04-2016, 09:15 AM
I had a very prolific outdoor writer on our payroll as an advisor. He never failed to tell me I couldn't buy his ink. But let somebody be burning garbage and he could find a way to get our products a plug. Just saying!

maroonmania
06-04-2016, 09:45 AM
Gotta hand it to The Guv, that was a damn good read. Just wish whoever is formatting that site would include an extra space between paragraphs. The wall of text is annoying to read.

Man, kind of reminds me of the days when the CL actually had decent articles to read because guys like Cleveland were writing them.

msbulldog
06-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Those were the good day, I started reading the CL in 1973 as a freshman at MSU. Bout the only way to get the Mississippi sports news. I always enjoyed reading Rick, didn't always agree, but he wrote it well and made you think.

AlmostPositive
06-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Those were the good day, I started reading the CL in 1973 as a freshman at MSU. Bout the only way to get the Mississippi sports news. I always enjoyed reading Rick, didn't always agree, but he wrote it well and made you think.

I was a freshman that year too.. all I can remember is Karen Clements and Jonell Kerkhoff, from afar. (FAR afar)

maroonmania
06-04-2016, 01:11 PM

Rick almost always 100% supports status quo for anyone until it just becomes totally obvious that someone needs to be let go. He is that way toward every coach or AD at every school.

msbulldog
06-04-2016, 02:34 PM
I was a freshman that year too.. all I can remember is Karen Clements and Jonell Kerkhoff, from afar. (FAR afar)

Yep Karen Clements smokin hot!

AlmostPositive
06-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Yep Karen Clements smokin hot!

Miss Mississippi USA 1973, Miss MSU later, cheerleader. And a nice girl all around. She owns a business in Dallas now I believe.

Dawgcentral
06-04-2016, 04:28 PM
I used to get out of joint with RC also. His dad was SID at USM, and he got his start at the Hattiesburg American, so yeah,..he was a USM homer and indeed, should have done something about Hampton.

But he's William Frekin' Shakespeare compared to Killinburgers and Crew. Our HS newspaper had better editing, proof reading, and content. We focused on actual literacy.

RocketDawg
06-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Who is/was Jonell Kerkhoff?

AlmostPositive
06-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Who is/was Jonell Kerkhoff?

Unbelievably well-put-together girl from Natchez. freshman in 1973... body for the ages...she ended up getting a PhD in Chemistry, is a big wheel at Alcoa and has several patents...

AusTexDawg
06-04-2016, 08:37 PM

^All this. The linked piece is another good column by the Guv. He is part of a dying breed of sportswriters who are skilled at conveying a scene thru their writing.