PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Bourbon Edition - A Whole New Stash

SapperDawg
06-03-2016, 09:38 PM
Outdoor Dawg Whiskey Lovers -

I spent the week ahead of Memorial Day in Myrtle Beach with two of my great friends that I served in Iraq with. This has become an annual outing for us, and I find myself looking forward to it more and more each year. I can remember in the late 70's and early 80's when - over 30 years after the WWII - my PawPaw's USMC buddies would come to visit each year. I hope that 30 years from now we are still doing this.

Based on my travels, I now believe South Carolina and TN have some of the largest whiskey selections at the most attractive prices on the open market. This year I picked up:

-Smooth Ambler Contradiction (the purpose of this reivew)
-Rhetoric 22 Year Old Bourbon
-Green Spot Irish Whiskey
-High West Rendezvous Rye
-High West Double Rye
-High West Campfire (blend of bourbon, rye and Islay scotch)

I have the following tastings planned for the coming months:
-The High West series
-The 20's (Barterhouse 20 YO, Redbreast 21 YO, Rhetoric 22 YO)
-Irishman (Green Spot, Redbreast 12, Redbreast 15)

Tonight, I have to sing the praises of the Smooth Ambler Contradiction. I am in love with this whiskey. It is a blend of a young wheater and an older high rye bourbon. They really hit the mark on this one, and I am glad I have two bottles.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/scumglove/A29193F1-209A-4C27-BF83-75895F88682F_zpswtibrlzp.jpg (http://s375.photobucket.com/user/scumglove/media/A29193F1-209A-4C27-BF83-75895F88682F_zpswtibrlzp.jpg.html)

This whiskey has that smooth wheat feel on the front end, with the spicy rye on the back, and a nice mellow burn to finish. It is red in the glass, and has a great mouthfeel. I wish I could get this in AL, as it would be my everyday.

If you see this, get two, cause the first one will go fast. I picked these up for $50 a bottle, and feel that is a great price for what you are getting on the current market. Much more than that, and I would think twice; and if you can find it for less, get a case and call me.

Onward to the CWS. HailState!

BrunswickDawg
06-04-2016, 12:25 PM
Great review Sapper. Definitely some things I need to add to my list to try.

Weekends like that are always incredible - and you share a bond like no other. I get together for UGA/FL every year with 3 of my best friends - 2 of whom I've known since kindergarten. We share some great history, and would give anything for each other. I can't fathom sharing a relationship like serving on the front and how that can make those friendships even stronger. Thanks to all of you for your service.

patdyeisstilldrunk
06-06-2016, 04:19 PM
You'll enjoy that Irish tasting. Even though the Yellow Spot is a 12 year-old, I prefer the less expensive Green Spot (also a single pot still whiskey). The Red Breasts you've chosen, as I am sure you know, are superb; I have a bottle of the 15 yo, and it's nothing short of amazing. Anything from the Midleton Distillery is not going to be bad, to be honest. If you can finagle an invite to the Midleton / Jameson party in NOLA during Tales of the Cocktail, I highly suggest it.