PDA

View Full Version : Sonar downscan and side imaging

Treemydawg
06-03-2016, 08:20 AM
I recently bought a stratos bass boat and I'm wanting to upgrade the electronics on it. I have been looking at the lowrance elite 7 and the humminbird 16:9. I have read good and bad reviews about both of these. Do any of y'all have these or have any experience with them? What other types or models would yall suggest?

Uncle Ruckus
06-03-2016, 08:42 AM
What type of fishing do you do? In my experience Lowrance is great for inshore/offshore and hummingbird is the way to go for fresh water/rivers. With the hummingbird you have certain models that can link with a minnkota trolling motor and it can basically go on autopilot (iPilot). I'm a lowrance guy as I find them easier to navigate but to me it depends on what your wanting to do with it. Garmin makes so great ones as well but unless something has changed then they're pricey

Treemydawg
06-03-2016, 09:52 AM
Mostly bass fishing, but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at trolling for crappie. I want something to identify deep structure and submerged grass better than what is on the boat now. It has a lowrance mounted in the dash and at the front of the boat now, but both are older models with small screens and neither one is capable of side image. I have been fishing some new lakes and parts of Tom Bigbee and want something that will make it easier to find fish.

Barking 13
06-03-2016, 10:47 AM
I have always been a Lowrance guy, but am seriously considering a Garmin Striker 7SV. It has downview, side view, chirp, and GPS. This unit is lacking a little in the GPS, as it doesn't have maps. It just shows trails, but the DV and SV are top notch. They made the sacrifices on the GPS side to be able to offer this model at 499, as opposed to a similar 7" model in the lowrance about twice the price. I plan to mount this on the bow and move my Lowrance (which has good GPS) to the console. This model is not networkable either, but that's fine with me.

Treemydawg
06-06-2016, 08:12 PM
I have always been a Lowrance guy, but am seriously considering a Garmin Striker 7SV. It has downview, side view, chirp, and GPS. This unit is lacking a little in the GPS, as it doesn't have maps. It just shows trails, but the DV and SV are top notch. They made the sacrifices on the GPS side to be able to offer this model at 499, as opposed to a similar 7" model in the lowrance about twice the price. I plan to mount this on the bow and move my Lowrance (which has good GPS) to the console. This model is not networkable either, but that's fine with me.

Thanks for the reply barking. I have done some research on the Garmin unit and I can't find one bad word about it anywhere. The Garmin is what I will be going with for the front and back of the boat.