PDA

View Full Version : Back to the OM investigation...

HardyStreetAlumniClub
08-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Is there any reason to believe that these bastards are still being investigated? Can we sum up a (unbiased) timeline of events to see the big picture here?

Here's what I know.

CJ Johnson was being investigated about his mother purchasing furniture at a Philly, MS furniture store. Store is owned by an MSU grad. Ole Miss came out and said they have cleared CJ of any wrong doing. But has the NCAA cleared him as well? Are we confident that this is still being investigated or will they get away with this?

CBS wrote an article claiming that Chris Jones was being questioned about his recruitment to Ole Miss. Ole Miss claims they did nothing wrong. What has the NCAA said about this to make us believe there is anything more to this? Also, Paul Jones claimed that there were more players on the NCAA docket to question. I trust Paul Jones and he obviously has a good source, but how do we know there is more to come?

We need a timeline and facts/articles/tweets/statements to give the "casual fan" a better understanding of all this. I know the NCAA is mum about their investigations, but there are usually patterns and trends we can examine to see if they are actually under the NCAA radar, or if it's all just the usual questioning of "high profile" recruits. Hopefully I speak for more than just myself.

FISHDAWG
08-21-2013, 09:09 AM
start ----------------------------------------------- months ----------------------------months------------------------------------------- end result
(rumors ) (speculation) ...(false hope)... (now investigating MSU per the bears) ....(optimism starting to wane) ... (realization sets in) ... (depression)... (1st loss in cruitin) ..... (watching MSU's bowl game ) .....penalties finally handed down ......... cycle starts all over

Coach34
08-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Well, here's the deal as far as I see it:

1. OM is not going to announce if any of their players/recruits have been interviewed by the NCAA
2. Any players/recruits being interviewed at other schools will have to be leaked by those schools.
3. The NCAA isnt going to announce anything about their investigation

So unless a reporter gets wind of it or another school leaks something- it may be quiet for awhile.

smootness
08-21-2013, 09:13 AM
if they are actually under the NCAA radar, or if it's all just the usual questioning of "high profile" recruits.

They don't do this as routine anymore. Don't believe what they're trying to sell...the NCAA does not make a habit of interviewing all 'high-profile' recruits after they've signed. The only reason they would be interviewing Ole Miss players/recruits right now is if they have reason to believe there may have been some issues.

Think about it - why would they just now be interviewing CJ Johnson as part of a 'routine' they conduct each year? That would be pretty crappy policy to wait until a couple years down the road to interview anyone as standard procedure. You're hearing about multiple recruits from different years being interviewed suddenly about Ole Miss. That isn't coincidence, and it sure isn't standard procedure.

Dental Dawg
08-21-2013, 09:14 AM
I was told not to expect anything to happen with in state recruiting. We aren't going to say shit on CJ or Chris Jones and neither will the bears. Honor amongst thieves. But Tunsil is a different story. Bears can't cover tracks or pay off everyone out of state. They pissed the wrong people off.

HardyStreetAlumniClub
08-21-2013, 09:15 AM
So the only thing we have to hang our hat on is the CBS article about Chris Jones, and the fact that Paul Jones said there were more players to be interviewed?

Who leaked the fact that Cj Johnson was being investigated in furnituregate?

HardyStreetAlumniClub
08-21-2013, 09:17 AM
I was told not to expect anything to happen with in state recruiting. We aren't going to say shit on CJ or Chris Jones and neither will the bears. Honor amongst thieves. But Tunsil is a different story. Bears can't cover tracks or pay off everyone out of state. They pissed the wrong people off.

But do we have any shred of evidence to believe that Tunsil is being looked into?

Coach34
08-21-2013, 09:18 AM
but there are usually patterns and trends we can examine to see if they are actually under the NCAA radar, or if it's all just the usual questioning of "high profile" recruits. .

questioning CJ Johnson over 2 years after his recruitment is not even remotely "routine"

Coach34
08-21-2013, 09:20 AM
But do we have any shred of evidence to believe that Tunsil is being looked into?

His HS coach has been singing from the rooftops about his recruitment. I guaran-damn-tee you it was reported by Georgia

smootness
08-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Who leaked the fact that Cj Johnson was being investigated in furnituregate?

I know Veazey reported it, and Ole Miss admitted it when they came out and claimed he was cleared.

Dental Dawg
08-21-2013, 09:24 AM
I heard that its his coach as well. Tunsil didn't even know that Ole Miss was in Oxford when he went to his recruiting visit. I'm not positive but thought Tunsil said that going to Ole Miss was "best for his family"

Coach34
08-21-2013, 09:28 AM
not to mention Saban damn near had an aneurysm over the Brandon Hill/Hargrave ordeal. Then throw in Conner telling him that he "had to do what's best for his family"...I'd imagine that would be where Hack is hearing the Alabama stuff

codeDawg
08-21-2013, 09:32 AM
I don't know why everyone expects this to be front page news every other day. This is going to be a very long process and we are not going to hear anything on 99% of it. There is an investigation going on. They are going to interview a lot of people. Almost none of those people are going to tell the press they were interviewed.

It's not like we have alumni dragging around a source and whoring him out to every radio station in 4 states while their own fan sites turn against them and they confess what color and shape their morning dump was.

In our case we had all that going on, and it still took a year to get what the penalties were. Now how long do you think an investigation against multiple recruiting classes / players at a school that is going to fight tooth and nail for every piece of evidence will take?

Coach34
08-21-2013, 09:35 AM
I don't know why everyone expects this to be front page news every other day. This is going to be a very long process and we are not going to hear anything on 99% of it. There is an investigation going on. They are going to interview a lot of people. Almost none of those people are going to tell the press they were interviewed.

It's not like we have alumni dragging around a source and whoring him out to every radio station in 4 states while their own fan sites turn against them and they confess what color and shape their morning dump was.

In our case we had all that going on, and it still took a year to get what the penalties were. Now how long do you think an investigation against multiple recruiting classes / players at a school that is going to fight tooth and nail for every piece of evidence will take?

THIS

Sandman14
08-21-2013, 09:38 AM
I thought a few days ago the thread was "the sky is falling for OM, they are holding their players out of practice because they will have to forfeit the season if they play them, imminent probation is expected, perhaps the death penalty, and Bo Wallace is throwing games for money."

I stated then how this all will end. It won't be any time within the next year and a half.

And for the record, if you do it correctly, it is very difficult to prove. Look at the amazing coup Auburn pulled off. In a situation like Tunsil's, the main thing you have to do is simply keep Tunsil happy. As long as he's lovin some OM, it's going to be hard to prove. The problem arises when the relationship sours and the player/his family start talking.

We shall see where this goes. I'm more worried about Mullen getting the fire back. I like to see a healthy competition. I want to beat OM on their "A" game. If they go on probation, so be it. I wouldn't be crying about recruiting disadvantages though.

Political Hack
08-21-2013, 09:39 AM
don't know anything about Conner, but I had heard about the Saban incident. Also, OM dismissed Kam Wood who is from Alabama. That's VERY telling to me, but no one else has even mentioned it.

Alledgedly some people at Auburn who know Elijah Daniels have also reported some things. And there's a ton of stuff surrounding their big weekend in Oxford of interest to the NCAA and the legal community. They're truly being bombarded from all sides right now, some of which most of their "clued in" people don't even seem to know about... or are hust blatantly lying. Thats really what shocks me the most in this. The university is doing a GREAT job keeping this under wraps; however, I don't think it will stay that way forever.

FlabLoser
08-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Well, here's the deal as far as I see it:

1. OM is not going to announce if any of their players/recruits have been interviewed by the NCAA
2. Any players/recruits being interviewed at other schools will have to be leaked by those schools.
3. The NCAA isnt going to announce anything about their investigation

So unless a reporter gets wind of it or another school leaks something- it may be quiet for awhile.

Stop bullshitting, Coach. You and I were on that conference call. There's more to it. And don't you remember later over drinks Emmert told us that the NCAA was going SMU on Ole Miss.

Coach34
08-21-2013, 09:50 AM
I thought a few days ago the thread was "the sky is falling for OM, they are holding their players out of practice because they will have to forfeit the season if they play them, imminent probation is expected, perhaps the death penalty, and Bo Wallace is throwing games for money."

What are you talking about sweetie?

Nobody said they were getting the death penalty- but many said they wished they would
1 poster mentioned holding out players- and just about everybody said they doubted that would happen

Either get better at posting or be gone

ckDOG
08-21-2013, 09:56 AM
The way I see it, if there were no investigation going on, they would just get the NCAA to comment that there is no investigation or a reporter would have accomplished that already. Isn't the policy for the NCAA to state that they do not comment on on-going investigations? Well, I can infer that they can comment on investigations that do not exist by simply saying they do not exist or have been finished. This is obviously getting under their skin and there are easy ways to nip it in the bud IF THERE IS NO INVESTIGATION. The fact that hasn't happened says a lot to me unless I'm misunderstanding the process.

Coach34
08-21-2013, 10:00 AM
The way I see it, if there were no investigation going on, they would just get the NCAA to comment that there is no investigation or a reporter would have accomplished that already. Isn't the policy for the NCAA to state that they do not comment on on-going investigations? Well, I can infer that they can comment on investigations that do not exist by simply saying they do not exist or have been finished. This is obviously getting under their skin and there are easy ways to nip it in the bud IF THERE IS NO INVESTIGATION. The fact that hasn't happened says a lot to me unless I'm misunderstanding the process.

ding, ding, ding....we have a winner

messageboardsuperhero
08-21-2013, 10:12 AM
I think it's pretty well established that Sandman is one of the absolute worst posters on this site.

Coach34
08-21-2013, 10:17 AM
2 things you need to remember in all of this when talking to your RebelBearLandshark bretheren:

1. The NCAA has not said there is no investigation- you know the Rebel Spin Machine would be blasting this errywhere if they had
2. MSU Compliance was told the questioning on Jones had nothing to do with us

mic
08-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Best thing is to keep the cloud over oxford as long as possible. The darker the cloud gets the better. Keep it in the back of the coaches and players minds though the season and into next year.. Hammer recruits about possible sanctions that will be going down..
Until the NCAA says this is closed it is ongoing no matter what TSUN says or if we are hearing nothing about this for weeks at a time..

maroonmania
08-21-2013, 10:24 AM

I stated then how this all will end. It won't be any time within the next year and a half.

And for the record, if you do it correctly, it is very difficult to prove. Look at the amazing coup Auburn pulled off. In a situation like Tunsil's, the main thing you have to do is simply keep Tunsil happy. As long as he's lovin some OM, it's going to be hard to prove. The problem arises when the relationship sours and the player/his family start talking.

We shall see where this goes. I'm more worried about Mullen getting the fire back. I like to see a healthy competition. I want to beat OM on their "A" game. If they go on probation, so be it. I wouldn't be crying about recruiting disadvantages though.

Even if they don't get hammered I would like to see this investigation go broad and deep enough to scare them bejeezus out of them so they will tone down some of the shenanigans they are currently involved with to get players that is really beyond the pale. I never really like seeing the NCAA spending a lot of time snooping around MS. In the past that has never really been good for either of us. But after some of the blatant stuff they have done to flip players in the 11th hour, especially in a situation like CJ Johnson, and pull in out of state kids like Tunsil and Golson who didn't even have OM on the radar much until the last month before signing day there is no doubt that some action needs to be taken. Because truthfully if that is the kind of stuff that they are just going to let go then they just need to throw the NCAA rulebook in the trash and just say everything is fair game when it comes to recruiting a football player to your school.

AlSwearengen
08-21-2013, 10:27 AM
I remember an uproar by tunsil's coach and others while tunsil was on his visit to olemiss. Apparently things were being said on twitter among parties (maybe tunsil's family members) that seemed very fishy. And after signing day, his high school coach (who I think is good friends with Richt) was raising hell in the media and all but telling the world that tunsil's family took the payout from olemiss.

Boodawg
08-21-2013, 10:50 AM
They probably need to talk to Brassell, surely he has to be pissed about being used like that. Elijah D. would be another good one to talk with. Of course, they could be already talking to both of these guys, who knows.

And to another point made on here, I do want their A game every year, but I want their A game to be played with players like walk on's and scrubs, not good players. I totally disagree with the sentiment, that having both State and Ole Miss competing well every year, is somehow good for State and Ole miss. I want them to go hide in a hole, and never be able to compete again. That, in my opinion, would allow for State to get most if not all the recruits we want, in state, and a few from out of state. Then it would be like there was only 1 SEC school in MS rather than 2. I hope this investigation goes on for many, many years, however, I would love to hear a little snippet here and there, just to know that the investigation is still under way, and to get under the skin of our rival.

maroonmania
08-21-2013, 10:56 AM
They probably need to talk to Brassell, surely he has to be pissed about being used like that. Elijah D. would be another good one to talk with. Of course, they could be already talking to both of these guys, who knows.

Nobody from Batesville is going to rat on OM unless they plan on being blackballed from their hometown for the rest of their life.

Bubb Rubb
08-21-2013, 11:08 AM

I just want to remind everyone of the "new, creative process" that the Rebs invented a few years ago when dealing with the NCAA. That process is to lawyer up and let all correspondence between the NCAA and the school go through their attorney. This makes all correspondence privileged, and not bound to FOIA requests. In other words, you won't be hearing ANYTHING official about this in the press, unless it is leaked by a former coach or something like that, and Ole Miss will do their best to squash it as quickly as possible.

Yes, there is an investigation, and yes, it is ongoing. No, Ole Miss hasn't been cleared of anything, until there is proof in writing from the NCAA, and when that happens, it will be front page news, they will see to that.

Let's just sit back and be patient. And here's hoping we use this against them in recruiting like those effers did to us. Should be fun.

Pollodawg
08-21-2013, 11:10 AM
The NCAA doesn't have to "prove" things, folks. The NCAA is the governing body of collegiate athletics. There is no outside influence that can alter it or change it if the NCAA decides on its course and sticks with it. This is not the U.S. Judicial System you're dealing with. They can do what they want, and there is dick a school can do about it.

The bears are arrogant because they think they lawyered up and forced the NCAA to let Masoli play back in '10. That couldn't be further from the truth. The NCAA LET Masoli play because they didn't feel like pursuing the matter and because they had bigger fish to fry than OM. If I am not mistaken, that is when they were balls deep in Ohio State and all of their energy and resources were elsewhere. The bears have confused mercy with weakness in this instance.

BossDawg
08-21-2013, 12:27 PM
I totally disagree with the sentiment, that having both State and Ole Miss competing well every year, is somehow good for State and Ole miss. I want them to go hide in a hole, and never be able to compete again.

I've never understood this logic, either. It's just like all of the "SEC! SEC! SEC! RAH RAH RAH! I'm rooting for the SEC no matter WHAT!!!" garbage. Damn Ole Miss and damn the rest of the SEC. It may make recruits NOTICE the SEC or the state of Mississippi, but it doesn't sway their opinions enough to matter in the long run as far as helping MSU. Let their asses burn to the ground as far as I'm concerned.

Bass Chaser
08-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Did the NCAA ever rule on the guy that played last year but was ineligible?

M.Fillmore
08-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Best thing is to keep the cloud over oxford as long as possible. The darker the cloud gets the better. Keep it in the back of the coaches and players minds though the season and into next year.. Hammer recruits about possible sanctions that will be going down..
Until the NCAA says this is closed it is ongoing no matter what TSUN says or if we are hearing nothing about this for weeks at a time..

THIS

Sandman14
08-21-2013, 12:45 PM
I think it's pretty well established that Sandman is one of the absolute worst posters on this site.

Another post that reeks of nerdishness. You accomplish nothing here, except to provide further support for the terribleness of the nerd huddling and backpatting. How about offering some insight on the subject at hand? I'm sorry I busted up the party the other day by laying down the truth.

Back to the subject at hand. I agree that the best thing about all this is the dark cloud over the program. I sorta suspends their momentum for now. That will all change if they start rippin folks when the season begins, but for now, it kinda changes the perception. And sometimes perception is every bit as important as reality.

But I definitely think its very, very weak to be concocting crazy tales and jumping to conclusions if done with the intent to damage an in-state program with Mississippi kids.

I also understand that many MSU and Ole Miss fans just simply hate each other and would cut their noses off to spite their face if it meant damaging the other.

I prefer the healthy respect but "biggest game on the schedule" approach.

messageboardsuperhero
08-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Another post that reeks of nerdishness. You accomplish nothing here, except to provide further support for the terribleness of the nerd huddling and backpatting. How about offering some insight on the subject at hand? I'm sorry I busted up the party the other day by laying down the truth.

My God, you are an absolute idiot.

Johnson85
08-21-2013, 12:48 PM
And for the record, if you do it correctly, it is very difficult to prove.

The NCAA doesn't have to prove it. They just have to decide they want to punish you. They pretend they need to prove it to give themselves cover in situations like Cam Newton where they don't want to act, but if they decide a player or school needs to be knocked down, all they have to do is flip the burden and try to force the school to prove a negative, like they did with Sidney.

Todd4State
08-21-2013, 12:51 PM
2 things you need to remember in all of this when talking to your RebelBearLandshark bretheren:

1. The NCAA has not said there is no investigation- you know the Rebel Spin Machine would be blasting this errywhere if they had
2. MSU Compliance was told the questioning on Jones had nothing to do with us

I like how they are trying to get State fans that it is us under investigation when we have the ultimate hall monitor as a compliance director. If we were involved, Bracky sure as hell would have been there. Probably licking his chops.

Sandman14
08-21-2013, 01:16 PM
My God, you are an absolute idiot.

SuperNerd.

Hey rather than playing pocket pool, how about we debate the topics at hand?

RougeDawg
08-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Is there any reason to believe that these bastards are still being investigated? Can we sum up a (unbiased) timeline of events to see the big picture here?

Here's what I know.

CJ Johnson was being investigated about his mother purchasing furniture at a Philly, MS furniture store. Store is owned by an MSU grad. Ole Miss came out and said they have cleared CJ of any wrong doing. But has the NCAA cleared him as well? Are we confident that this is still being investigated or will they get away with this?

CBS wrote an article claiming that Chris Jones was being questioned about his recruitment to Ole Miss. Ole Miss claims they did nothing wrong. What has the NCAA said about this to make us believe there is anything more to this? Also, Paul Jones claimed that there were more players on the NCAA docket to question. I trust Paul Jones and he obviously has a good source, but how do we know there is more to come?

We need a timeline and facts/articles/tweets/statements to give the "casual fan" a better understanding of all this. I know the NCAA is mum about their investigations, but there are usually patterns and trends we can examine to see if they are actually under the NCAA radar, or if it's all just the usual questioning of "high profile" recruits. Hopefully I speak for more than just myself.

Currently have a member of media who wants to hear more about what I know. I threw out a few bones on twitter and apparently they corrborate what this particular media member has heard also. I haven't posted all of it on here because that would allow the bears a chance to pull out their "spin and defend" technique on it.

I'm still wondering why ole Dickhead Schad hasn't tweeted one time about any of the shit going on? He provided hourly updates during our shit, but has yet to type one word about OM.

Political Hack
08-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Currently have a member of media who wants to hear more about what I know. I threw out a few bones on twitter and apparently they corrborate what this particular media member has heard also. I haven't posted all of it on here because that would allow the bears a chance to pull out their "spin and defend" technique on it.

I'm still wondering why ole Dickhead Schad hasn't tweeted one time about any of the shit going on? He provided hourly updates during our shit, but has yet to type one word about OM.

I'm so intrigued...

Coach34
08-21-2013, 01:40 PM
SuperNerd.

Hey rather than playing pocket pool, how about we debate the topics at hand?

and that will close the book on Sandman

BulldogDX55
08-21-2013, 01:46 PM
I found a picture of Sandman14

http://imgur.com/nAqCxPG

MadDawg
08-21-2013, 01:51 PM
and I found a picture of Coach34

Coach34
08-21-2013, 01:56 PM
asshat

FISHDAWG
08-21-2013, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=Pollodawg;40411]The NCAA doesn't have to "prove" things, folks. The NCAA is the governing body of collegiate athletics. There is no outside influence that can alter it or change it if the NCAA decides on its course and sticks with it. This is not the U.S. Judicial System you're dealing with. They can do what they want, and there is dick a school can do about it.

you are correct I believe ... but if they want to avoid a slander/ libel/ defamation suit against them then they need to have their ducks aligned nicely

codeDawg
08-21-2013, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=Pollodawg;40411]The NCAA doesn't have to "prove" things, folks. The NCAA is the governing body of collegiate athletics. There is no outside influence that can alter it or change it if the NCAA decides on its course and sticks with it. This is not the U.S. Judicial System you're dealing with. They can do what they want, and there is dick a school can do about it.

you are correct I believe ... but if they want to avoid a slander/ libel/ defamation suit against them then they need to have their ducks aligned nicely

I'm not sure that's a deterrent. Signed, Jackie Wayne Sherrill's legal team.

...but point taken. I think the thing they are worried about right now is credibility. The scales are beginning to tip on them. They couldn't / wouldn't bust Cam. They completely fubared Miami. Things may not go the right way for them with Manzel. They lost the EA Sports deal. The O'Bannon case is setting up to really screw them. The super-conferences are coming. The end is near for them. I only hope UM is the case they try to drop the authority hammer on.

662dawg
08-21-2013, 03:15 PM

What's your twitter handle???

DownwardDawg
08-21-2013, 03:26 PM
And here's hoping we use this against them in recruiting like those effers did to us. Should be fun.

It is being used by everybody already. I know this to be fact.

DownwardDawg
08-21-2013, 03:37 PM
and that will close the book on Sandman

Thank you

Political Hack
08-21-2013, 03:40 PM
sandman was a sleeper.

get it?

that joke was nerdy, wasn't it?

Barking 13
08-21-2013, 03:41 PM
and I found a picture of Coach34

You owe me a screen.... this one has tea all over it....;)

DownwardDawg
08-21-2013, 04:03 PM
sandman was a sleeper.

get it?

that joke was nerdy, wasn't it?

Turrrrrible