PDA

View Full Version : Simmons Suspended for 1st Game of 2016 Season

fishwater99
06-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Congrats, now stay out of trouble and make us proud!!!

ScoobaDawg
06-02-2016, 03:38 PM
http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=210993399

Jeffery Simmons, a recent graduate of Noxubee County High School in Macon, Miss., who in February signed a national letter of intent to play football at Mississippi State, has been allowed to enroll at the university for summer school and participate in football activities, with conditions.

Simmons is awaiting final resolution on misdemeanor charges where, in an effort to break up a domestic fight between his sister and another adult woman, he used physical force against one of those involved in the altercation.

After careful assessment, the MSU athletics department has determined Simmons may be a part of the football team, but he will be evaluated by the licensed professionals at the university’s Student Counseling Services and be required to complete any program prescribed by that office. Additionally, he will be suspended for the first game of his college career.

“Based on conversations our staff has had with school, community and church leaders in Noxubee County, this incident appears to be uncharacteristic of Jeffery,” MSU Director of Athletics Scott Stricklin said. “It’s a highly unique circumstance to administer discipline to a student for an incident that occurred prior to that individual joining our university. However, it’s important that Jeffery and other potential MSU students understand that these type of actions and poor decisions are not acceptable.

“We expect the structure and discipline Jeffery will be a part of in our football program to benefit him. Jeffery will be held accountable for his actions while at MSU, and there will be consequences for any future incidents.”

Tony said it EXACTLY RIGHT...
Who can find that video or picture of the WHOLE ber coaching staff getting pissed when they missed on Simmons..
http://s33.postimg.org/uxvjxlba7/simmons.jpg

Drugs Delaney
06-02-2016, 03:41 PM
one more than stringfellow missed. dan is strict!http://old.seattletimes.com/html/huskyfootball/2023296369_huskycharges04xml.html#.V09uVa4Cv8k.fac ebook

fishwater99
06-02-2016, 03:45 PM
Should have waited until Friday afternoon to announce..

DownwardDawg
06-02-2016, 03:47 PM

Yep. Terrible timing. We suck at these things.

Brahmabull
06-02-2016, 03:55 PM
What is the name of the rebel butthole raper??

DawgNamedScuba
06-02-2016, 03:56 PM

Its fine most national news media will just confuse up with UNM anyways *

Bass Chaser
06-02-2016, 03:58 PM
We should've released this last Friday.

Drugs Delaney
06-02-2016, 04:03 PM
how many games is ole cornhole boy going to miss?http://www.aol.com/article/2014/10/13/report-penn-state-revokes-scholarship-offer-to-captain-of-sayreville-high-school-sodomy-hazing-scandal/20977407/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

LC Dawg
06-02-2016, 04:14 PM
I would have followed the statement up with "and if you don't like it, **** you". I guess that's why I'm not AD.

Drugs Delaney
06-02-2016, 04:16 PM
his name is myles "cornholio" Hartsfield.
What is the name of the rebel butthole raper??

Goldendawg
06-02-2016, 04:20 PM
What Simmons did was wrong, he should have separated the women who were fighting. Marcus Spears on Finebaum says he understands living in that environment but shocked that he only received a one game suspension. We all know that most schools in the nation would have taken him. Where is the outcry from the media over transfers from one college to another when the player has been kicked out of another college or already has a criminal record?

drummerdawg
06-02-2016, 04:23 PM
I actually think this is good timing. If we waited until Friday then that would take away from baseball.

Goldendawg
06-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Someone needs to call Finebaum and mention all of UNM's recent signees, falled drug tests, hazing, assaults at other colleges, etc. I guess it's just our day to get hammered over this. I feel due diligence was done. After this week and others playing the victim card on Finebaum, I hate to even use the work a "mistake" occurred.

DownwardDawg
06-02-2016, 04:41 PM
We are getting hammered worse than the Bears have been treated throughout their entire investigation. We have successfully dominated the Finebaum show. Nobody cares about the ole miss garbage.

Brahmabull
06-02-2016, 04:41 PM
He may have made a mistake, but he did not knowingly cheat!!!

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-02-2016, 04:43 PM
We are getting hammered worse than the Bears have been treated throughout their entire investigation. We have successfully dominated the Finebaum show. Nobody cares about the ole miss garbage.

Man. Some posters on here want to be a martyr so bad.

blacklistedbully
06-02-2016, 04:47 PM
We would have got hammered with anything less than revoking his scholarship. That said, personally, I do wish we would have suspended him for at least 1/2 season.

DawgPoundtheRock
06-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Local sports radio here in Chattanooga picked up on this story, but mentioned it only briefly until.........one of their regular callers, who is a UNM fan called in. The caller went on a tirade of how State had signed a guy with a recent history of domestic violence and abuse. He then, when asked about the UNM allegations, replied that those allegations were false. Steve Robertson and the State mouthpieces are trying to smear ole miss. UNM has done nothing more than any other SEC school, Freeze is an upright individual, blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada, ad nauseum.

I only post this so you guys will know that delusion and blind faith are not confined within the state lines of Mississippi.

Coackjek
06-02-2016, 04:51 PM

I was thinking the same as I read that post.

Coackjek
06-02-2016, 04:54 PM

Not real worried about it. They needed a new talking point and got it. So what, weather the storm because we knew it was going to come.

PassInterference
06-02-2016, 04:57 PM
1,100 views in an hour old thread with only 21 posts.

Welcome, bears.

Dolphus Raymond
06-02-2016, 05:11 PM
Damn, I'm glad Simmons did not threaten to shoot-up a bar with an AK-47.

IMissJack
06-02-2016, 05:12 PM
This decision makes MSU look bad and weak on punishment. Dan will be answering questions about this in the media for the next 3-4 years. It's on the radio here in Houston, and I'm sure everywhere else.

djaymsu5
06-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Who gives a shit what people think. The kid is going to play and he's going to be a beast. These other schools bashing us know good and well they would take him without a doubt regardless of his situation. This shit will blow over after he starts dominating offensive linemen in the SEC. I think the kid will turn out to be a great young man. Yes he messed up and I'm sure he will run his ass off this summer for it. He will be punished internally more than people think even though he will only miss one game. We need him. That fact that this happened before he got to our campus has to give us the benefit of the doubt

ElitedawgRecruiting
06-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Here's an idea. He is one of ours. And he made a mistake. Scott decided how to handle it. Those with the venom about it obviously aren't gonna change. So what. Here's another idea. Kiss our Maroon Asses

Commercecomet24
06-02-2016, 05:30 PM
This will be old news by tomorrow. In our society people are looking for the next scandal and there will be another one somewhere shortly. Just let it go.

djaymsu5
06-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Here's an idea. He is one of ours. And he made a mistake. Scott decided how to handle it. Those with the venom about it obviously aren't gonna change. So what. Here's another idea. Kiss our Maroon Asses

+1

BrunswickDawg
06-02-2016, 05:41 PM

X10000

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-02-2016, 05:43 PM
I wish someone would call these local MS shows or finebaum to discuss miles hartfield. We don't have much of a radio presence.

TrapGame
06-02-2016, 05:48 PM
Barrett Sallee: Absolutely despicable that Mississippi State would allow Jeffery Simmons to enroll http://ble.ac/25CGrSC

But refuses to say one bad thing about ole miss. Asshole.

smootness
06-02-2016, 05:57 PM
We're getting killed everywhere. Chuck Oliver here in Atlanta called Stricklin 'a shameful individual'.

I said at the time that I didn't like it but would be ok with any decision we made, from suspension to not allowing him to enroll. I stand by that and am ok with the punishment. If anything remotely like this happens again, though, he better be gone immediately.

RocketDawg
06-02-2016, 06:00 PM
I think it's the proper punishment. He will now know that the University is strict about what he did, but not so unsympathetic so as to ruin his future life. Hopefully he gets the message loud and clear and heeds it. If not, he should be gone. Strike two and you're out in this case. Strickland is right ... had we let him go, he'd be enrolled in another school and on the FB team by tomorrow.

I trust that the University would do the same if he was a 1-star athlete. And if he was just a regular student, I don't think there would be any question ... he'd be admitted (assuming he could qualify academically) and no big deal made of it. Had it happened after he'd enrolled, and when he was "of age", it would be a different matter. But there are lots ... probably hundreds, maybe thousands ... of law-breakers on our campus and other campuses for reasons of simple assault, drug use, and any number of other misdeeds.

RocketDawg
06-02-2016, 06:02 PM
This decision makes MSU look bad and weak on punishment. Dan will be answering questions about this in the media for the next 3-4 years. It's on the radio here in Houston, and I'm sure everywhere else.

Honestly, who cares what others think? It's easy to be so pious when you're not directly affected.

DownwardDawg
06-02-2016, 06:08 PM

Who?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-02-2016, 06:10 PM
Read on another site that fatburger already has a hot story out and even references the A Mullins arrest. Bonner is already tweeting that the punishment doesn't fit as well.

DownwardDawg
06-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Not real worried about it. They needed a new talking point and got it. So what, weather the storm because we knew it was going to come.

Oh yeah, not surprised. And I support this decision 100%. I just hoped we would have enrolled him and not said a word.

smootness
06-02-2016, 06:27 PM
The one thing that makes this case different than just about all others is that he technically wasn't a student or member of the football program yet when it took place. So comparing it to punishment in cases of a current student/player isn't necessarily all that relevant.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-02-2016, 06:38 PM

The same people bitching are the very ones if we had kicked him off the team would be blowing his Twitter up begging him to come....

War Machine Dawg
06-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Completely ridiculous. The whole thing is bullshit. Admit him in full and zero punishment. Issue a "no comment now, no comment ever" and move the hell on. And seriously, we couldn't wait one damn day to release this when the regional starts? Our media department is completely incompetent.

ShotgunDawg
06-02-2016, 06:58 PM
Footballscoop's Twitter timeline is pissed. Can't imagine why. Haven't seen Footballscoop question the team he cheers for's pay for play scandal at all.

LC Dawg
06-02-2016, 06:58 PM
We should break out the F*ck TSUN warm up jerseys tomorrow to divert attention from Simmons**

BrunswickDawg
06-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Four years from now (or maybe three), on NFL Draft night when ESPN is profiling how this kid overcame the death of his nephew and a horrible 25 seconds of poor decision to build himself to a 1st round pick through the support of his coaches - be sure Subtweet all these MFrs to remind them how quick to judge they were.

Mjoelner34
06-02-2016, 07:21 PM
How is it worse than this? http://thebiglead.com/2014/06/11/jalen-mills-of-lsu-punched-a-woman-in-the-mouth-knocking-her-out/ I don't think Mills missed a single practice much less a game. He was also enrolled at LSU and an active member of the football team when it happened not a high school guy that hadn't even graduated. By the way, this is the safety that Dak stiff-armed to the ground during his long TD run in Death Valley.

I was running errands after work today and was listening to F-bomb. I heard Rachel Baribeau just go off on the decision. Its funny. When I google her name along with Jalen Mills, I get no hits where she is discussing that matter and crucifying LSU.

I also heard the guy from Clarksdale at the end who has law enforcement experience and said that he is not a State fan nor a UNM fan. He stated that under Mississippi law it was charged exactly as it should have been and that under the law it doesn't matter that it was a male and female. As long as he didn't use a weapon and as long as her injuries weren't worse than they were, it is just a fight in the eyes of the law.

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Stricklin is getting a lot of credit for going out there and facing the music. He did not just hide behind a press release.

PMDawg
06-02-2016, 07:42 PM
If Baylor hadn't happened last week, no one would even care. This is unfortunately the first post Baylor item like this to come up, so everyone has to be outraged to make sure they are viewed in the right light. This is why J Mills, the UM ass raper, stringfellow, etc etc weren't viewed in the same light. It's just timing.

However, I agree 4-6 games would've been better.

Barrett Sallee can DIAF though.

Jsndawg
06-02-2016, 07:45 PM
We have the worst sports information in the country. JS has not even been to court yet so why release this information today?
We have allowed the media to change the narrative from TSUN getting hammered by the NCAA and a positive story of us hosting a regional tomorrow over to this negative story.
All we had to say was "we are waiting on the courts to decide what they are going to do before we make our final ruling"
WE CAN BE SOO STUPID!

Todd4State
06-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Stricklin is getting a lot of credit for going out there and facing the music. He did not just hide behind a press release.

I agree. I thought Scott handled it very well.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-02-2016, 08:00 PM
Umm he started school today. How can you say we're waiting until the court decides when he's already in class. May as well get it out of the way on his 1st day.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Umm he started school today. How can you say we're waiting until the court decides when he's already in class. May as well get it out of the way on his 1st day.

This^^^^. It had to be done and was handled as well as it could be handled. This will blow over in time provided he keeps his nose clean and I'm sure Dan has a zero tolerance policy in place for him. Dan has never shied away from booting somebody. Funny how our media "friends" aren't bringing up his track record for severe discipline compared to the cesspool up north

Ifyouonlyknew
It would've been bad timing to release it while our baseball team is hosting a regional. None of our fans will care this weekend because we're hosting & by Monday its a none story. Today was his 1st day of class. Release a statement it's done. "Mullen do you have a statement on Jeffery Simmons?" Refer to the statement we released next question.

smootness
You could also argue that it's good to get it out now because regional news will soon overtake it, and people will forget about it.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2016, 08:07 PM
You could also argue that it's good to get it out now because regional news will soon overtake it, and people will forget about it.

Good point.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2016, 08:10 PM
It would've been bad timing to release it while our baseball team is hosting a regional. None of our fans will care this weekend because we're hosting & by Monday its a none story. Today was his 1st day of class. Release a statement it's done. "Mullen do you have a statement on Jeffery Simmons?" Refer to the statement we released next question.

Yep! Folks are only interested in the next scandal. This will be gone by Monday. Over and done.

Tripp McNeely
06-02-2016, 08:18 PM
I expect this out of Sallee or one of the om reporters, but he usually tells the whole story, talks about the Stringfellow's, Jalen Mills' and Jonathan Taylor's of the world along with a story like this instead of pretending like we are alone with stories like this...no mention of what led up to what happened on tape...very shitty "journalism"!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153558482051867&id=219308111866

Liverpooldawg
06-02-2016, 08:18 PM
What are you gong to do right now? He enrolled so our hand was forced. Innocent till proven guilty remember. If the courts act, and they may, then we should and WILL adjust.

Jsndawg
06-02-2016, 08:22 PM
Yes he started school but you don't have to announce a decision on his eligibility with the football team yet

Jsndawg
06-02-2016, 08:23 PM
Heck get it out during regional news!!!
Tsun was NATIONAL headlines until now

Reason2succeed
06-02-2016, 08:24 PM
Yes he started school but you don't have to announce a decision on his eligibility with the football team yet

You probably had to because he is under an athletic scholarship so there would be no hiding that. I felt like we said too much personally.

AlmostPositive
06-02-2016, 08:25 PM
In related news, the Nashville Ledger would like for you to forget that OM hired a HEAD COACH with a permanent Retraining Order against him for domestic abuse

DancingRabbit
06-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Well, this year Bill Martin was actually named one of the top 11 SID's in the country by the Football Writers Association of America. Stricklin was named the AD of the year by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics.

I'm sure Keenum and our legal team were involved in how we would handle this. In today's environment it was sure to blow up in the media, and we chose to face it head on.

RocketDawg
06-02-2016, 08:31 PM
We have the worst sports information in the country. JS has not even been to court yet so why release this information today?
We have allowed the media to change the narrative from TSUN getting hammered by the NCAA and a positive story of us hosting a regional tomorrow over to this negative story.
All we had to say was "we are waiting on the courts to decide what they are going to do before we make our final ruling"
WE CAN BE SOO STUPID!

Not sure it's a negative story. It pales in comparison to what some of our sister schools have done.

dnadawg
06-02-2016, 08:38 PM
From what all the experts with a keyboard today have said, I reached the conclusion that Chad Kelly shoud have been suspended at least one game last year. His incident happened prior to his enrollment. His punishment by the courts should have no bearing on what the school decides to do. At least that is what the point seems to be. Our past track record of suspending players to our own detrement does not matter either.....i.e. Justin Cox.
Also notice that some people do not understand the difference between domestic violence & simple assault.

Oh and checking freshmen prostates is OK too! Hartsfield may pursue a future as a proctologist.

Story on Chad Kelly

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/sec/article29719291.html

MrKotter
06-02-2016, 08:39 PM
He DVRs the kardashians. What do you expect from someone who is into that stuff?

RocketDawg
06-02-2016, 08:41 PM
If Baylor hadn't happened last week, no one would even care. This is unfortunately the first post Baylor item like this to come up, so everyone has to be outraged to make sure they are viewed in the right light. This is why J Mills, the UM ass raper, stringfellow, etc etc weren't viewed in the same light. It's just timing.

However, I agree 4-6 games would've been better.

Barrett Sallee can DIAF though.

The Simmons situation is nowhere near the goings on at Baylor. If Simmons had raped a woman, I'd agree that he shouldn't be be in school. Rape is a felony, at one time punishable by death as I recall. Simple assault is a misdemeanor.

rbdog82
06-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Very impressed how Stricklin handled a situation no one wants to be in. He did his homework, got the facts, made a decision that included punishment he and Keenum agreed was warranted, and then voluntarily got in front of the media to tell the story. He didn't run and hide or try and spin something through various media outlets. Safe to say at this point that only lemmings would believe anything Freez or Bjork say at this point. Fortunately, we don't have that problem.

dnadawg
06-02-2016, 10:25 PM
He just dealt with it & moved on.

chef dixon
06-02-2016, 11:04 PM
Who cares? Every team in the country would be doing something similar and their fans hoping it as well.

Difference is, this won't get us on probation and will be gone by next week.

dawgs
06-02-2016, 11:35 PM
Very impressed how Stricklin handled a situation no one wants to be in. He did his homework, got the facts, made a decision that included punishment he and Keenum agreed was warranted, and then voluntarily got in front of the media to tell the story. He didn't run and hide or try and spin something through various media outlets. Safe to say at this point that only lemmings would believe anything Freez or Bjork say at this point. Fortunately, we don't have that problem.

people comparing this to baylor also forget that baylor swept stuff under the rug, intimidated and even retaliated against women who reported the crimes. and this was done from the coaching staff all the way up to the university president, and extended outside the university into the local police. we have not tried to hide anything. maybe you disagree with the final decision, but there was definitely nothing like baylor imo.

that said, i am of the opinion that a season suspension/forced redshirt season along with counseling and whatever other guidelines mullen set for him to remain on the team was appropriate. and honestly what i was expecting really.

Bucky Dog
06-02-2016, 11:58 PM
What are you gong to do right now? He enrolled so our hand was forced. Innocent till proven guilty remember. If the courts act, and they may, then we should and WILL adjust.

This is what I thin will happen. If he is found guilty then we adjust ro 3-6 game suspension. I will say that I know a few people from the area and said this is not what Jeff is about. Good kid and will be a great teammate. My belief is he will take his punishment, stay out of trouble and become a first round pick by his junior year.

PMDawg
06-03-2016, 08:09 AM
The Simmons situation is nowhere near the goings on at Baylor. If Simmons had raped a woman, I'd agree that he shouldn't be be in school. Rape is a felony, at one time punishable by death as I recall. Simple assault is a misdemeanor.

Yeah, way to miss the entire point. Nowhere did I even hint that they were similar or in the same universe.

fishwater99
06-03-2016, 09:08 AM
WE CAN BE SOO STUPID!

Just say he is enrolled and suspended indefinitely, amount of time to be determined later.

Johnson85
06-03-2016, 09:30 AM

I'm not sure we had to address it at all. I think how we're handling it is fine, but I would have preferred to just no comment it away. Something along the lines of we usually don't involve ourselves with misdemeanors committed by students before they are enrolled, but that because Simmons is an athlete, we have looked into it, including discussions with leaders in teh community that know Simmons, and we are handling it internally.

But again, it really doesn't matter. State fans are freaking out about this because they have no perspective, and UM fans are trying to focus on it because we're their rival and they'd also love to divert their attention from their own issues, but UM's recruit digitally raped younger players and then stuck his finger in their mouth and nobody even is aware of it other than UM and MSU fans (and presumably the guys raped). That couldn't stay in the news cycle and you think a fight where nobody was injured is going to? It will have more staying power because of the video, but for better or for worse, this is a non-issue in the sports world. It' will have it's 15 minutes of attention and then will be over with provided he stays out of trouble.

Also, I'm a little sick of the virtue signalling among our own fans going on about how his punishment is too light. Congratulations, you get to air your opinion and pat yourself on the back without having to have anything beyond superficial knowledge of the situation and without having to bear any responsibility for the decision. You can sleep well now knowing you're clearly a good person.**

HancockCountyDog
06-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Two things I'll never understand about this whole deal.

Why release it on a Thursday while our AD is in Destin around nothing but reporters who want to make a name for themselves.

Also, who put that he was trying to break up a fight? With the video that looks so stupid.

Im not saying anything else about this, he is a dawg, he would be admitted at any other SEC school, all of this is just posturing by every school that Simmons is going to wreck in the fall.

dawgs
06-03-2016, 11:59 AM
Also, who put that he was trying to break up a fight? With the video that looks so stupid.

the full video shows the woman fighting his sister or cousin. He probably should have just drug her away or wrapped his arms around her to keep her from doing anything else instead of hitting her, but there was a fight between the 2 women before he stepped in. Still a very poor decision, but I think that fact played a huge role in him getting a relatively light suspension. The facts seem to point to this being a 1 time thing, not an offense that's more likely to be repeated, like Greg hardy smacking his gf around because she was talking to nelly or ray rice knocking his fianc? out in an elevator.

That said, as I stated above, I think he should have been forced to take a redshirt season along with the be counseling and other guidelines.

tcdog70
06-03-2016, 12:06 PM
What Simmons did was wrong, he should have separated the women who were fighting. Marcus Spears on Finebaum says he understands living in that environment but shocked that he only received a one game suspension. We all know that most schools in the nation would have taken him. Where is the outcry from the media over transfers from one college to another when the player has been kicked out of another college or already has a criminal record?

was Marcus Spears shocked when the Honey Badger's bad actions were constantly overlooked at Corndog U. please Marcus save you indignation for your University.

Johnson85
06-03-2016, 12:41 PM
Two things I'll never understand about this whole deal.

Why release it on a Thursday while our AD is in Destin around nothing but reporters who want to make a name for themselves.

Im not saying anything else about this, he is a dawg, he would be admitted at any other SEC school, all of this is just posturing by every school that Simmons is going to wreck in the fall and posturing by our own fans that want to pat themselves on the back for an empty gesture.

FTFY

Jack Lambert
06-03-2016, 12:55 PM
He DVRs the kardashians. What do you expect from someone who is into that stuff?

He's just preparing for his next misson.

TUSK
06-03-2016, 05:03 PM
I'm mostly upset that Simmons showed such poor/lack of discipline...

Article 28, Jeffrey.... c'mon, mane.

http://www.brocode.com/code/article-28