PDA

View Full Version : Baseball--what you will see

MsStateBaseball
08-21-2013, 08:44 AM
are the other schools on our schedule calling us defending national runner-up Mississippi State. At least we will be recognized for something from 2013. We need to take the next step though...

Political Hack
08-21-2013, 08:53 AM
there's only 1 next step to take. it makes my stomache hurt to think about being that close to natty.

smootness
08-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Don't mean to be overly nit-picky, but I doubt they use the word 'defending'. We won't be defending anything because we didn't win anything. But I do agree, you'll see, every time we're on tv, they will call us the national runner-up. Not bad.

TheRef
08-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Agreed, the fact that we will be nationally recognized (more so than before) will definitely put a bigger target on our back. Everyone will remember how good we were and won't take us lightly from now on. So we can't take any series off this season because we will get the best from every team.

HardyStreetAlumniClub
08-21-2013, 09:10 AM
We were good last year, but we simply got hot at the right time. The next step would be to consistently make it to Omaha. Baseball is to complex of a sport to believe that our talent will bring us to a national championship every year. Make it to Omaha and anything can happen.

Goat Holder
08-21-2013, 09:37 AM
It helps to remember the way UCLA manhandled us though. It's not like we choked it away. They were clearly the better team on those 2 days.

Goat Holder
08-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Eh, that doesn't really mean as much in baseball. It means alot more in football, where you have to be jacked up to play. Baseball isn't aggressive like that. But obviously you have to be mentally prepared to play.

TheRef
08-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Agreed. The park played perfectly into UCLA's hands. We did not adjust quick enough to the way that UCLA plays and how our bats couldn't, even though we tried, hit it hard enough to get it out. I personally hope that the NCAA changes the balls to MLB standards. That will help the ball carry a little bit more. According to stats discussed during the CWS, no collegiate player during the course of the game has hit the ball between the 375's at TD Ameritrade. That's a BIGGGGG gap where no HR's have been hit. Is this the lack of good hitting by the player? No. Did we benefit from this statistic? You bet your arse, just look at the OSU game (Round 1). The way the Park plays and how the balls travel makes it almost impossible for you as a hitter to punish a pitcher for a mistake.

Goat Holder
08-21-2013, 09:43 AM
I agree. I think we were Super Regional (Top 15-16) level talent last year, and overachieved. This season, I expect us to be Top 10 level. So in that regard, we have room to improve for sure. We aren't at Vandy, UNC and LSU level right now.

Goat Holder
08-21-2013, 09:45 AM
True. Indiana would have beaten us as well, they pumped some balls deep to the CF wall themselves. We deserved to be in Omaha, but I don't know that we deserved to go to the Ch'ip series.

But I disagree about how UCLA plays, we do that too. They just do it better, and our starting pitching didn't hold up.

TheRef
08-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Agreed. We do play a similar style of baseball. Small ball is something that we could rely on if needed. Our players, however, were definitely getting big eyes when they saw a ball up in the zone and in the "sweet spot". Wes and Hunter were crushing some balls to CF just to have them die about halfway there. Our starters were definitely showing fatigue symptoms, in my opinion. UCLA definitely outplayed us on almost every front. But UCLA fans were impressed, one was even quoted as saying something similar to "MSU will have the privilege of hoisting the trophy and calling themselves National Champions very soon if this keeps up."

camsu
08-21-2013, 10:27 AM
We will be known as CWS finalist which is great. As Left Fielder with the cows in 1970 it is great to see MSU Bball back. Short flt for me this coming year to run down to Tucson for the AZ weekend and will do that.

Watched Sonny Gray, Vandy pitcher throw another great game for the A's last night. Kid is going to be very good. Took a lead to the 8th and bullpen fell apart.

maroonmania
08-21-2013, 10:50 AM
We were good last year, but we simply got hot at the right time. The next step would be to consistently make it to Omaha. Baseball is to complex of a sport to believe that our talent will bring us to a national championship every year. Make it to Omaha and anything can happen.

Exactly, the NCAA run was nice, something that we will all remember for a long time, but to show we are back to prominence we need start at least competing for an SEC title (regular season). Now that is something we haven't done in a LONG, LONG time. Its really nice to peak at the right time but truly great teams play consistently good ball for the most of, if not all of the entire season.

Homedawg
08-21-2013, 11:06 AM
It helps to remember the way UCLA manhandled us though. It's not like we choked it away. They were clearly the better team on those 2 days.

I'll have to disagree on the part about them being clearly better for both days. Game 2, yes without a doubt. But game one it was just ucla's day. We punch out twice. They punch out 12 times. We make an error that costs us. They make an error that costs them nothing. They hit 2 balls hard for the entire game. They had 4 bloop hits or jam jobs that fell out of their 5 hits. While we didn't tear the cover off the ball we hit a way more balls hard. Several of those ended by good plays on their part, granted. With all that said, had it gone to game 3 we had KG left and not much more. Advantage would have been w them anyway.

Homedawg
08-21-2013, 11:07 AM
I agree. I think we were Super Regional (Top 15-16) level talent last year, and overachieved. This season, I expect us to be Top 10 level. So in that regard, we have room to improve for sure. We aren't at Vandy, UNC and LSU level right now.

I agree. I've said it before, we will put consistently better teams on TE field than the 13 club and might never make it that far again. Takes some breaks for sure

Saltydog
08-21-2013, 11:53 AM
didn't.......I swear, I hated see us playing those SOB's........

maroonmania
08-21-2013, 12:08 PM
I agree. I've said it before, we will put consistently better teams on TE field than the 13 club and might never make it that far again. Takes some breaks for sure

Well at least there is hope in baseball to be there often. I relish the fact that I got to see the 96 Final Four basketball run because I'm convinced I will never see something like that again in my lifetime in basketball.

Todd4State
08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
It also helps that Cohen is extremely motivated to win a NC at MSU. He ain't taking the foot off the pedal.