PDA

View Full Version : Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds.

AlmostPositive
06-01-2016, 10:37 PM
There's a famous old book about, among other things, people getting crazy enough to spend $20000 on one tulip bulb.

Apparently everybody went shithouse-rat insane all together and wildly distorted values for a decade.

The book is over 250 years old but they need to add a chapter about the psychopathology in Oxford now.

Help me with this... is what we're seeing just a matter of human nature, just normal people being reluctant to believe the worst about their beloved alma mater?

Or are we verging on something darker and more like Jonestown in '78?

Maybe the joke's on me, and they're just pretending to be barking lunatics to get us to stare at them.

Right now Freeze is more Swaggart than Jim Jones, but this defies comprehension:

Ninety-five percent of that fan base seems to believe that:

-The NCAA camped out in Oxford for forty months
- Found nine metric tons of violations
- Got lied to and stonewalled

..and this will end up with Ole Miss getting a sticker for exemplary cooperation and losing a long snapper and a backup punter for two years.

Okay.. enough... I have become unmoored by this.

tireddawg
06-02-2016, 09:27 AM
I guess we'll find out, if they ingest poison..**

AlmostPositive
06-02-2016, 09:43 AM
I guess we'll find out, if they ingest poison..**

Younger folks may not be aware that Jonestown was the source of "drinking the Kool-Aid." It was actually Flavor Aid, with a Valium, chloral hydrate, and cyanide booster.

Just to clarify, I think the Rebel Nation issue is mass delusion, not group suicide. I should probably just stay away from Twitter and Nafoom.

TrapGame
06-02-2016, 09:48 AM
The most bat shit crazy thing I've read about this whole sideshow was on SDS a couple of weeks ago when a delusional bear was swearing he knew for a fact that this was a sting operation between the NCAA and om to catch other SEC teams cheating. I kid you not.

AlmostPositive
06-02-2016, 10:01 AM
The most bat shit crazy thing I've read about this whole sideshow was on SDS a couple of weeks ago when a delusional bear was swearing he knew for a fact that this was a sting operation between the NCAA and om to catch other SEC teams cheating. I kid you not.

You know, if were just a few outliers (out-liars?) like that, I would chuckle but it wouldn't perplex me. What I am seeing is the great majority of presumably sane and cognitively sound individuals acting like Germans electing Hitler and going along for the ride.

From almost any angle you look at it, it is obvious that Freeze is a snake oil salesman.

It is just as obvious that most Ole Miss fans have the polar opposite view. I wish there were a betting market on the severity of the sanctions... we could make a fortune.