PDA

View Full Version : DeRunnya Wilson Fires Agent & Will Play in CFL

ShotgunDawg
06-01-2016, 12:23 PM
Just listening to the Boneyard.

Wilson will play in the CFL & try to get his degree from MSU.

This potentially concludes one of the worst, mis-informed decisions I've seen from a JR at MSU. Hopefully, our coaching staff can use this as an example to get through to the next batch of JRs that think they are ready for the NFL & hopefully college football will institute a system that allows players like DeRunnya to return for their SR year.

Corn Bread
06-01-2016, 12:37 PM
I would like to think the coaching staff did put up a good argument. Wilson wanted nothing of it.

thf24
06-01-2016, 12:38 PM
I think he's got less of a chance in the CFL than the NFL. Fewer landing spots, and unless I'm mistaken that league mostly runs offense that favor speedster/yards after catch guys.

He was definitely being given bad advice, but the bigger problem was negligently poor preparation when it should have been obvious that he had some question marks to erase.

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-01-2016, 12:38 PM
I definitely remember reading something where Mullen insinuated that he had told Wilson to stay.

I really feel bad about this. I hope things work out for him. I worry that Newman is making a similar mistake.

SaintDawg
06-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Hurts my feelings to hear about this. Had he stayed for his Senior year he could've been a star. Good Luck, Bear!

Mjoelner34
06-01-2016, 12:49 PM
I definitely remember reading something where Mullen insinuated that he had told Wilson to stay.

I really feel bad about this. I hope things work out for him. I worry that Newman is making a similar mistake.

I didn't see anything specifically with Bear but I remember when Fletcher Cox left early Mullen said that if they graded out as a 1st round pick, he would tell them that he would drive them to the airport. If they projected later, especially 3rd round or later, he would try to convince them to stay another year.

BeardoMSU
06-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Dang Bear....

This should serve as a classic case study of what not to do for future JR's thinking about jumping to the NFL. Such a damn shame.

Bothrops
06-01-2016, 12:50 PM
He would have had a huge year. He's a big big piece missing from the offense now.

DancingRabbit
06-01-2016, 12:53 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/133814/de%E2%80%99runnya-wilson

Mississippi State HC Dan Mullen is "re-recruiting" junior RB De'Runnya Wilson in an attempt to convince him not to enter the 2016 NFL Draft, per TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.
This might be an uphill climb for Mullen. In late November, draft analyst Pauline reported that Wilson was telling people he planned on entering the 2016 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-5, 225-pound Kelvin Benjamin clone's coming off his best college season to date, having caught 54 passes for 809 yards and nine touchdowns. The numbers aren't spectacular, but he could carve out a role as a possession receiver if things break right for him. Assuming Mullen's re-recruitment effort doesn't pan out.

Homedawg
06-01-2016, 01:01 PM
yeah, agents fault he runs a 4.9. Uh-huh

Dawg61
06-01-2016, 01:12 PM
This is the same guy that just walked into the basketball lockerroom in January and suited up after not having talked to Rick Ray since August. Looks like he's finally getting a taste of that humble pie.

JoseBrown
06-01-2016, 01:48 PM
"Fires agent"- probably best decision he's made to date. Guess the Saints cut him? Or did he ever make it there?

CrookedLetta
06-01-2016, 01:50 PM
^ I remember that. Very strange.

PassInterference
06-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Wilson is not alone. A large percentage of juniors that entered the draft didn't get drafted. Something like 40%. Don't remember the exact number.

The NCAA should change the rules to allow undrafted players back. The rule is like getting booted from an academic scholarship because you took a job interview.

thf24
06-01-2016, 02:08 PM

Did we ever find out if his "agent" was a legitimate professional sports representative, or the classic grade school buddy who convinced him they were going to make it big together? I have no information on the topic, but the way it unfolded suggests the latter. I don't see a legit sports agent allowing him to be so unprepared when said person would have known how much work he needed to do to get drafted.

The NCAA should change the rules to allow undrafted players back. The rule is like getting booted from an academic scholarship because you took a job interview.

I don't think that's an option, because then you'd have every junior in the NCAA declaring for the draft and causing chaos as far as rosters and scholarships are concerned.

maroonmania
06-01-2016, 02:14 PM

I'm serious when I ask this. Did SOMEBODY not time his 40 PRIOR to him declaring for the draft and TELL him how that slow of a forty time for a WR would be viewed by NFL scouts and GMs???

Jarius
06-01-2016, 02:20 PM
This is no one's fault but Wilson's. I feel confident that our coaching staff was very upfront about what he needed to do and he ignored them. I hope he becomes a productive member of society. Sad situation.

Reason2succeed
06-01-2016, 02:31 PM
Wilson is not alone. A large percentage of juniors that entered the draft didn't get drafted. Something like 40%. Don't remember the exact number.

No no no! The NFL and NCAA can't go out of their way to help or protect the student athlete.***

It's really simple. Make the same rule that Malik Newman used applicable for football. I'm not sure how it's not already in place. I think the difference is the NFL hasn't bothered to do a Jr evaluation. They would probably have to push college signing day back to March or April and do the JR camp in February so that schools know how many scholarships they have to fill and offer. It would also help if they had an early signing period coming out of high school as well. Kids fall through the cracks there too.

Commercecomet24
06-01-2016, 02:37 PM
I think we all knew when he ran the 4.9 the NFL was gone. Heck there's linemen in the NFL that run that. Just a poor,poor decision.

DanDority
06-01-2016, 03:21 PM

Can he fire himself and or hire a new personal trainer! The blame falls on HIM no one else is to blame.

maroonmania
06-01-2016, 04:00 PM
I think we all knew when he ran the 4.9 the NFL was gone. Heck there's linemen in the NFL that run that. Just a poor,poor decision.

True, but I would think every player would know his 40 time to within +/- .03 seconds. Shouldn't have taken Bear going through the combine to find out his speed was a major issue in getting drafted.

MSUDawg99
06-01-2016, 04:28 PM
I would like to think the coaching staff did put up a good argument. Wilson wanted nothing of it.

THIS ^^^^^

Spiderman
06-01-2016, 04:57 PM
Just listening to the Boneyard.

Wilson will play in the CFL & try to get his degree from MSU.

This potentially concludes one of the worst, mis-informed decisions I've seen from a JR at MSU. Hopefully, our coaching staff can use this as an example to get through to the next batch of JRs that think they are ready for the NFL & hopefully college football will institute a system that allows players like DeRunnya to return for their SR year.

Poor Wilson. I hate it. But even my ass could have told him it wasn't time. He could have been all SEC this year.

He is now the Rufus French of State.

RougeDawg
06-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Hurts everyone involved. Hurts his future and our 2016 offense. I don't keep up with other rosters but he has to be in the top 10 returning WR's in the SEC, career wise. He didn't even start making a name for himself until late 2014 season, and guys with his lack of speed need as much proving time in the best conference to show they can play and produce vs the best defenses in the nation. A high skill player doesn't have to prove himself over time to draw the eye of scouts. A Bear type guy needs consistent, above average, production to maximize their NFL chances. He must've had the same agent that Softie canned before draft night.

BiscuitEater
06-01-2016, 05:31 PM

Bear's time is the same now as it was last year and will be next year. BUT, said agent needs to be fired IF he ADVISED him to leave early.

Commercecomet24
06-01-2016, 06:09 PM
True, but I would think every player would know his 40 time to within +/- .03 seconds. Shouldn't have taken Bear going through the combine to find out his speed was a major issue in getting drafted.

Agree, that's why I think it was an extremely poor decision.

Reason2succeed
06-01-2016, 06:40 PM
Bear wasn't fast enough to make the NFL this year and wouldn't be next year. His decision was most likely predicated on the the fact that he has mouths to feed. Staying in college another year doesn't help that unless you want us operating like UNM. Good luck to him.

MafiaDawg
06-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Except a free college degree would certainly help better himself and his family. What are the chances he pays his own way and finishes?

BankerDog
06-01-2016, 07:07 PM
It's amazing how some of you cheer for a guy so hard, then completely turn on him. Did he make a bad decision? Yes he did, he had the wrong people in his ear. But he also has two or three kids to provide for, which he thought could because of family telling me he could make it. Yes, he acknowledges his mistake and is going to finish school to get his degree to provide for those children; much like Anthony Dixon coming back to finish his degree this semester.

De'Runnya is a good guy and one of the most well spoken guys on that team. He loves this university just as much as some of you and to sit here and criticize one of our own is completely classless. Yet sometimes we wonder why some of our former players don't help us down the road...

ShotgunDawg
06-01-2016, 08:20 PM
It's amazing how some of you cheer for a guy so hard, then completely turn on him. Did he make a bad decision? Yes he did, he had the wrong people in his ear. But he also has two or three kids to provide for, which he thought could because of family telling me he could make it. Yes, he acknowledges his mistake and is going to finish school to get his degree to provide for those children; much like Anthony Dixon coming back to finish his degree this semester.

De'Runnya is a good guy and one of the most well spoken guys on that team. He loves this university just as much as some of you and to sit here and criticize one of our own is completely classless. Yet sometimes we wonder why some of our former players don't help us down the road...

Such a stupid post.

Just because we criticize a decision that was clearly poor doesn't mean we are bashing DeRunnya.
DeRunnya will always be an accepted bulldog and part of the family, but that doesn't mean a quality, thought out decision was made here.

ShotgunDawg
06-01-2016, 08:21 PM
Bear wasn't fast enough to make the NFL this year and wouldn't be next year. His decision was most likely predicated on the the fact that he has mouths to feed. Staying in college another year doesn't help that unless you want us operating like UNM. Good luck to him.

DeRunnya would probably be insulted by this post. He's not from Somalia bro. Staying one more year would've absolutely been in his best interest.

Dawg61
06-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Bear knew his 40 time he just didn't give a shit. That's how cocky he was. He can only blame himself. He let his ego cloud his judgement. Tough lesson to learn during the most important decision of his life. That sucks.

Homedawg
06-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Bear's time is the same now as it was last year and will be next year. BUT, said agent needs to be fired IF he ADVISED him to leave early.

Correct on the 40 time. But his agent didn't run it and if he listens to an agent to make an informed decision, well....don't blame the agent. It's like a golfer being pissed about the caddie on club decision. Ultimately, you have the power. Not him!!

DanDority
06-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Correct on the 40 time. But his agent didn't run it and if he listens to an agent to make an informed decision, well....don't blame the agent. It's like a golfer being pissed about the caddie on club decision. Ultimately, you have the power. Not him!!
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Homedawg again.

thf24
06-02-2016, 09:15 AM
He wouldn't have been any faster next year, but he could absolutely have improved his 40 time. Watching him run at the combine, it's clear he had little to no instruction and training on proper form and technique, which is just as important to a good 40 time as raw speed. That's mostly why I think the 40 is a dumb measuring stick; you can drop so much time by using track technique that isn't used in or applicable to football. But that's what it is, and he clearly didn't put in the work to shave the tenths off his time that would have meant being drafted.

PassInterference
06-02-2016, 09:15 AM

This.

He knew what his 40 time was. And if it didn't he should have before making a life-changing decision.

He also should have known that putting up DE numbers in the 40 wouldn't get him an NFL WR job. And if he didn't he should have before making a life-changing decision.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2016, 09:25 AM
He wouldn't have been any faster next year, but he could absolutely have improved his 40 time. Watching him run at the combine, it's clear he had little to no instruction and training on proper form and technique, which is just as important to a good 40 time as raw speed. That's mostly why I think the 40 is a dumb measuring stick; you can drop so much time by using track technique that isn't used in or applicable to football. But that's what it is, and he clearly didn't put in the work to shave the tenths off his time that would have meant being drafted.

THIS^^^People are acting like you can't improve a 40 time. That's absolutely not true. You work with a speed coach and improve technique and form and you can shave .2 or more off your time. Watch Jake Mangum run out of the box, its obvious he has worked with a speed coach. Like you said it was obvious Bear didn't put much time in working on running the 40. I hope it all works out well for him.

PassInterference
06-02-2016, 09:33 AM
THIS^^^People are acting like you can't improve a 40 time. That's absolutely not true. You work with a speed coach and improve technique and form and you can shave .2 or more off your time. Watch Jake Mangum run out of the box, its obvious he has worked with a speed coach. Like you said it was obvious Bear didn't put much time in working on running the 40. I hope it all works out well for him.

I knew something was different about Mangum. When he runs to 1st, his head is perfectly still. He is all motor. Its like he has eliminated all of the movements that don't propel him forward.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2016, 09:39 AM
I knew something was different about Mangum. When he runs to 1st, his head is perfectly still. He is all motor. Its like he has eliminated all of the movements that don't propel him forward.

I noticed it early on in watching Jake run, once he's made contact it's like he's exploding out of the blocks at a track meet, head forward, arms in, no wasted motion, everything going forward. My wife commented on it saying he didn't run like any other baseball players she had ever seen. He's definitely worked with a speed coach and it's worked because that cat gets out of the box quick and down the line in a hurry. Love watching him run out of the box.

Johnson85
06-02-2016, 09:47 AM

Staying in college another year absolutely would have helped that. Not only could he have gotten his degree, but another year in the spotlight at state would have helped him with connections in whatever career he pursues after football. Being an ex-SEC athlete opens a lot of doors with well connected alumni. He's still going to get the benefit of that, but another year would have still helped.

That said, I can completely understand his decision. Prior to the draft, I didn't think him coming back to play for a brand new quarterback with a still very questionable Oline was going to help him improve his draft stock next year. And I honestly thought his size would make up enough for his speed enough that somebody would pick him up and use him as a possession receiver. Hope it works out for him.

Tbonewannabe
06-02-2016, 10:06 AM
I hope he gets his degree and gets on with a CFL team. You can make a good living playing in the CFL and hopefully get another shot at the NFL. Hopefully this leads him in a good direction in life.