PDA

View Full Version : CBS sports

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-01-2016, 10:43 AM
just came out with an article about Simmons. Putting us in the spotlight. Thoughts?

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/life-after-baylor-mississippi-state-tennessee-have-tough-decisions-to-make

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-01-2016, 10:51 AM
I think we're being highlighted because Simmons' deal was on tape, but to lump us in with Tenn who has EIGHT Title IX lawsuits is bullshit. Tenn is getting all the benefit of the doubt with players that were already on campus and we're being blasted for one that wasn't even enrolled in the university.

"Don McPherson, a College Football Hall of Fame quarterback at Syracuse, has prominently spoken out for three decades about sexual and domestic violence. He has warned coaches for several years that they are becoming more accountable over who they bring to campus because of Title IX requirements related to investigating sexual violence and harassment.
"Here's what you do [with Simmons]: Would admissions admit that student? And the answer is no, so why should athletics?" McPherson said. "As soon as athletics has an admissions policy that is so deviant from the general campus, you have problems.""

Colleges and universities don't accept students who have misdemeanors on their records?

Bama_Dawg
06-01-2016, 10:52 AM
Good article and they author asks some very thought provoking questions. We have to do the right thing in this situation. I don't know what the right thing is, but we need all of the facts (geez, I'm sounding like Bucky).

maroonmania
06-01-2016, 10:54 AM
I think we're being highlighted because Simmons' deal was on tape, but to lump us in with Tenn who has EIGHT Title IX lawsuits is bullshit. Tenn is getting all the benefit of the doubt with players that were already on campus and we're being blasted for one that wasn't even enrolled in the university.

"Don McPherson, a College Football Hall of Fame quarterback at Syracuse, has prominently spoken out for three decades about sexual and domestic violence. He has warned coaches for several years that they are becoming more accountable over who they bring to campus because of Title IX requirements related to investigating sexual violence and harassment.
"Here's what you do [with Simmons]: Would admissions admit that student? And the answer is no, so why should athletics?" McPherson said. "As soon as athletics has an admissions policy that is so deviant from the general campus, you have problems.""

Colleges and universities don't accept students who have misdemeanors on their records?

I would absolutely believe our admissions would admit Simmons regardless of football. Right now all he would have is a misdemeanor on his record for what happened. Is a college going to deny someone admission over a misdemeanor?

DancingRabbit
06-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Someone needs to explain the Simmons altercation to the author. He's equating it to sexual assault and domestic violence. Simmons was defending his sister in a brawl and took it too far.

RC3
06-01-2016, 10:59 AM
I doubt he even has a misdemeanor. Wasn't he 17 at the time of offense? Would put the matter in youth court, thus no criminal record.

fishwater99
06-01-2016, 11:01 AM
I would absolutely believe our admissions would admit Simmons regardless of football. Right now all he would have is a misdemeanor on his record for what happened. Is a college going to deny someone admission over a misdemeanor?

I agree. This is crazy...

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-01-2016, 11:01 AM

Exactly, sounds like more of an opinion or a wish than fact. Obviously he has an agenda and I appreciate some of his work, but that is bullshit.

ElitedawgRecruiting
06-01-2016, 11:03 AM
It's an 18 year old kid that has never been in any trouble. Sounds like McPherson still salty over losing to MSU back when

Maroons
06-01-2016, 11:31 AM
Bruce Feldman can't get enough of tweeting "that he beat a woman." More proof that he's an OM mouthpiece.

Reason2succeed
06-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Simmons isn't a transfer. He is a high school kid who is about about to be placed in collegiate system for the first time. As the author noted we kicked Justin Cox off the team immediately. Simmons may respond well to the discipline at State. If not he will be gone.