PDA

View Full Version : couple of thoughts on Malik that haven't been metnioned

Irondawg
05-31-2016, 08:11 AM
Here's what I don't exactly understand. The NBA tested him as a SG and that's where he played in the combine scrimmages. Who decided he should test with the SG - the NBA or Malik/Horatio?

I'm guessing it was the NBA so you have to ask the question - why did they choose that? I would have to think it's because he clearly never demonstrated PG skills to them at HS/AAU or college levels. if you watched the combine scrimmages he looked EXACTLY like he did at MSU. Hit a few shots but offer nothing else and basically stood on the wing on offense and did nothing on defense.

So the NBA sees this and Malik's teams has all these conversations with teams/scouts. Apparently the consensus was that not only does he need more seasoning but that they don't see a SG future and when he comes back the combine he needs to show he can play point.

Here's where it gets interesting to me. You would have thought the FIRST call after making the decision to go back to college would have been with Howland. That didn't happen for apparently days on either end which should tell you all about how BOTH sides felt. However MSU had the leverage b/c ideally Malik doesn't want to sit out a year.

So they finally meet with Howland make their demand. Remember Howland watched this guy EVERY DAY pre and post injury and apparently come to the conclusion he wasn't PG material. Howland in essence tells them if he's the best PG he'll play PG, otherwise he's not.

Now all your asking a 5-star prospect to do is beat out an inconsistent 5'8 senior and a true freshman. If you don't like your chances there what are the odds you're going to be handed the keys to another big program's offense. Nonetheless they didn't like the answer and agreed to part ways. I certainly get the feeling Howland wasn't begging them to stay.

I'll be interested to see where he lands and if he can improve enough to become a viable PG, but he has tons of work to ge there. Granted I never thought Steph Curry would be what he is so there are always surprises but he's got a rough road ahead.

Commercecomet24
05-31-2016, 08:20 AM
I bet he goes to a DII school where he can play immediately and where they will let him do whatever he wants and where he can dominate against mediocre talent. You made some great points. Unless he progresses he's a one trick pony, He's basically a shooter, who's ball handling is subpar, can't drive and finish and absolutely plays zero defense. He's got a lot of work to do.

Irondawg
05-31-2016, 10:28 AM
He may end up there but I bet he's going to shoot for perennial Top 10 programs first. I think they feel high level exposure will help.

MarketingBully
05-31-2016, 10:39 AM
I agree with your points above. He isn't a point guard. Heck, I could say with certainty that Q would be a 10x better point guard then Malik could and Q is an obvious SG at the next level. I think the bottom line is we are definitely better off not having him around. I am glad we decided to part ways with each other.

Commercecomet24
05-31-2016, 11:04 AM
He may end up there but I bet he's going to shoot for perennial Top 10 programs first. I think they feel high level exposure will help.

Oh I definitely agree with you on that. I think theyre gonna market him to every known basketball power out there, but I think theyre gonna find the pickings to be slim. I could be wrong but I don't see a Duke or a Kansas bringing him in to play the point, when apparently that's what his daddy wants him to play, and it's not a position he can handle.

Coach34
05-31-2016, 11:19 AM
He's going to probably end up at W Kentucky with Stands. Dook, Kentucky, Kansas are going to call Howland first thing to get the background- and they arent going to want any part of it. Plus there is tape on him from last season- and they will see he isnt a PG

Commercecomet24
05-31-2016, 11:21 AM
He's going to probably end up at W Kentucky with Stands. Dook, Kentucky, Kansas are going to call Howland first thing to get the background- and they arent going to want any part of it. Plus there is tape on him from last season- and they will see he isnt a PG

THIS^^^^^^^

Tbonewannabe
05-31-2016, 11:37 AM

Can he transfer and play immediately at W Kentucky? I just don't see him sitting out anywhere but a top 10 program. I am amazed that they are willing to transfer and delay the NBA an extra year. It sounds like Horatio is wanting to be like Tiger Woods and his daddy. I will be surprised if Horatio waits another year to cash in.

Commercecomet24
05-31-2016, 11:39 AM
Can he transfer and play immediately at W Kentucky? I just don't see him sitting out anywhere but a top 10 program. I am amazed that they are willing to transfer and delay the NBA an extra year. It sounds like Horatio is wanting to be like Tiger Woods and his daddy. I will be surprised if Horatio waits another year to cash in.

That's another reason I think he goes D2. I can't see them wanting to wait 2 years to try the NBA again. He goes D2, has great stats against inferior competition and then tells the NBA he's ready(which he wont be).

MaroonFlounder
05-31-2016, 11:42 AM
ole piss fans say we (MSU) will be investigated in basketball based on Malik's tweets. I don't know how likely that is. They are looking for any avenue which causes us to be investigated next. Take cover. They are pissed.

MarketingBully
05-31-2016, 12:01 PM
ole piss fans say we (MSU) will be investigated in basketball based on Malik's tweets. I don't know how likely that is. They are looking for any avenue which causes us to be investigated next. Take cover. They are pissed.

This is laughable and reaching. Gonna love the next five years or so in basketball. Stans owned their ass and Howland is going to be our next coach to own their ass.

Harrydawg
05-31-2016, 12:14 PM
So when Malik winds up in Oxford, what they gonna say then

"Beautiful campus and where he wanted to go the whole time". Guys, not many D1 programs
are interested mainly due to the fact that Malik will have to sit out and he will give the NBA a look one year
from now. He may transfer, sit out if required and never play a game!

How many blue blood programs gonna do that?......none. UM would for obvious reasons

drunkernhelldawg
05-31-2016, 12:18 PM
Y'all ought to check out Horatio's q and a in a central Mississippi rag's website. Sounds like he just doesn't want to play without the ball. Not sure if he just has to be the big dog or if he really can lead a talented team. I suspect the former at this point, but I figure he's got some ability to learn. Likely he'll end up on a team with all other players average. If he's in a weak enough conference, he might lead them to the dance. Not sure but at this point he seems to value pt over winning. Kudos to Howland for keeping control of his team though it's painful to lose a talent like Newman.

maroonmania
05-31-2016, 12:27 PM

Would make sense, if there was anything Stans' program was known for it was internal drama.

Saltydog
05-31-2016, 12:31 PM
defender this program has had since Sidney.............

drunkernhelldawg
05-31-2016, 12:33 PM
Would make sense, if there was anything Stans' program was known for it was internal drama.

Stans is also known for building strong teams. Obviously, Horatio and Malik like Stans. The question is whether Stans will be able to give him the point. A year off makes it more likely that both will be ready when the time comes.

basedog
05-31-2016, 12:43 PM

I betting VCash this want happen. It sounds good on paper but I'm thinking Stans doesn't need another head case with Horatio leading the way. Stans doesn't want a reject from Msu.

I understand the logic 34, and I thought about this, but after further thinking and reading Horatio's interview, it's all about them not the team. Stans made one critical mistake with a head case can't see him making another. Malik isn't as good as advertised, good player not great!

MarketingBully
05-31-2016, 12:47 PM

"Beautiful campus and where he wanted to go the whole time". Guys, not many D1 programs
are interested mainly due to the fact that Malik will have to sit out and he will give the NBA a look one year

How many blue blood programs gonna do that?......none. UM would for obvious reasons

No way he goes to Oxford. I could see him sitting out somewhere and still testing the NBA waters next year without playing a game. Could he do that? If he could, I'm sure he would bolt.

Percho
05-31-2016, 01:32 PM
Stans is also known for building strong teams. Obviously, Horatio and Malik like Stans. The question is whether Stans will be able to give him the point. A year off makes it more likely that both will be ready when the time comes.

I thought all the guards at WK were kicked out of school.

Harrydawg
05-31-2016, 01:36 PM
Where are those guys that said Malik would never transfer? You guys need to know the difference between facts and emotion.

Don't think for a second that UM is not an option for Malik

Ifyouonlyknew
05-31-2016, 01:39 PM
Where are those guys that said Malik would never transfer? You guys need to know the difference between facts and emotion.

That all depends on who's he released to. I wouldn't release him to any school in the SEC or on our non conference schedule for 2017-18. That's a pretty standard release.

Commercecomet24
05-31-2016, 01:47 PM

WE will not release him to anyone in the SEC, that you can count on!

MarketingBully
05-31-2016, 01:51 PM

Him going to UM is not fact. I haven't heard anyone mention Ole Miss at all. Names I've heard mentioned are NC State, WKU, and Kansas. That's it. Just gloat that you got him transferring right. Don't reach on him landing at Ole Miss. Quit while you're ahead.

I seen it dawg
05-31-2016, 01:55 PM
Who cares