PDA

View Full Version : Per sources Malik has asked to be released from his scholly...

RougeDawg
05-30-2016, 12:01 PM
What a joke. Couldn't cut the mustard and got shown up by another freshman. So what does he do? Take his ball and leave.

jumbo
05-30-2016, 12:02 PM
Way to have loyalty Horatio

AlmostPositive
05-30-2016, 12:03 PM
For all his talent, I wouldn't give a dime for his chances of sticking with a NBA team.

MarketingBully
05-30-2016, 12:05 PM
What sources?

msstate7
05-30-2016, 12:07 PM
Probably wants to be pg. If so, I'd rather go with peters and ready

MarketingBully
05-30-2016, 12:07 PM
Kansas doesn't want him. We won't release him to any SEC school. Where would he go? Three words here. Dumb as shit.

preachermatt83
05-30-2016, 12:09 PM
He demanded of Howland to play PG and Howland said hit the bricks.

fccee1
05-30-2016, 12:10 PM
He gone

Dawg61
05-30-2016, 12:10 PM
Taking his talents to the D-League

ShotgunDawg
05-30-2016, 12:11 PM
Peace out!

Thank for choosing MSU Malik, but it turned out to be a poor fit. I hope he figures it out.

No matter the talent, some players become a clog in a program & Malik would have been that for us. It stinks it didn't work out, but I think this is best for everyone

BankerDog
05-30-2016, 12:11 PM
Don't knock the kid, knock the father. It's the father making the demands and trying to get a payday off his son. Single handily making his son look bad.

Apoplectic
05-30-2016, 12:15 PM
Dude better get a degree. He won't make the pension cutoff.

Steakonastick
05-30-2016, 12:16 PM
Here's the story: they met with howland. Wanted to be promised he would be the pg. howland told them he would have an opportunity to win the position. But guys would play in their best spot to help the team win. Daddy did not like the answer so both sides decided to go different directions.

msstate7
05-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Here's the story: they met with howland. Wanted to be promised he would be the pg. howland told them he would have an opportunity to win the position. But guys would play in their best spot to help the team win. Daddy did not like the answer so both sides decided to go different directions.

Good. I feared we'd bring Malik back as a 1 and waste half a season of peters' development playing Malik. If Malik wasn't coming back as a 2, we're better off without him.

ShotgunDawg
05-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Horatio called it a "trust issue" Translated as: We didn't trust that Howland would play Malik at PG. Good riddance

Bullsy
05-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Malik's a great kid and would be an asset. He is a team first guy. Too bad his daddy isn't.

preachermatt83

This is exactly what I heard. Almost word for word.

msstate7
Horatio called it a "trust issue" Translated as: We didn't trust that Howland would play Malik at PG. Good riddance

They're about to learn no elite school will play Malik as a 1. If Malik wants to play the point, better steer clear of power 5 schools

Dawgface
05-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Agree. Good riddance.

DawgSaint
05-30-2016, 12:24 PM
You'll never convience me he is anywhere near ready for NBA. Hell, he wasn't ready for SEC! Further, he wasn't even the best player on our team!

smootness
05-30-2016, 12:25 PM
See ya.

WPDawg
05-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Chill out people. Kid needs to be where he wants to be. He needs to be where he feels comfortable to fill a need and he can continue to get better as a player to reach his goals. Good luck to him whether it is with us or not. Howland has put a lot of kids at the next level but he may not be the guy for Malik.

TopDog58
05-30-2016, 12:28 PM
You'll never convience me he is anywhere near ready for NBA. Hell, he wasn't ready for SEC! Further, he wasn't even the best player on our team!

B-b-b-b-b-b-but injuries!!! Wasn't that the party line on here and elsewhere ALL SEASON long whenever he was questioned regarding his subpar play and tendency to completely disappear?

Harrydawg
05-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Sorry, but bashing he and Horatio won't help.....get over it.

We are good

Maroonthirteen
05-30-2016, 12:38 PM
I appreciate Newman's time and contribution to State. But it is good to have a coach that puts MSU first. People might not like the decision but the team will respect Howland for it.

If someone wants to be "me" first and the team second, wku is a perfect decision.

Bucky Dog
05-30-2016, 12:39 PM
Yeah don't start talking bad about the guy. He's a good kid. He's not gone yet, but why in the world would Horation think transferring and sitting out a year would be his best option??!!!

Jsndawg
05-30-2016, 12:48 PM
I heard last week Jackson state

RougeDawg
05-30-2016, 12:49 PM
Chill out people. Kid needs to be where he wants to be. He needs to be where he feels comfortable to fill a need and he can continue to get better as a player to reach his goals. Good luck to him whether it is with us or not. Howland has put a lot of kids at the next level but he may not be the guy for Malik.

Somebody needs to pass along to pops.

NCDawg
05-30-2016, 12:50 PM
I appreciate Newman's time and contribution to State. But it is good to have a coach that puts MSU first. People might not like the decision but the team will respect Howland for it.

If someone wants to be "me" first and the team second, wku is a perfect decision.

Totally agree.

Wade Garrett
05-30-2016, 12:51 PM
Western Kentucky

the59dawg
05-30-2016, 12:51 PM
Sorry, but bashing he and Horatio won't help.....get over it.

We are good

Agree, whatever is basis for decision, he gave us the best he had last yr. He was hurt for many games. You think anyone wants to be hurt where they can't play their best?

fader2103
05-30-2016, 12:55 PM
Bulldog recruiting on Twitter is bringing it on the subject. Sorry I can't copy or paste at the moment

Madisonmd
05-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Early school list, Kansas, NC State, and Fla St, with others to follow. Its all going to be good. This may be best for all parties. We don't need a kid on team "auditioning " for the NBA all year. We lose a "involved" guardian. Now, other kids can step up and develop. Wish him well! Don't really see NBA as final landing spot however.BTW, talking to another D1 HC recently, he says are really enamored with transfers these days mores than high profile HS kids. Less baggage, cars already paid for, and they have no other place to go and accept coaching better.

mparkerfd20
05-30-2016, 01:04 PM
Bye Horatio. For those of you who called me everything under the sun for saying I wish he'd just go... KMA!!!

MarketingBully
05-30-2016, 01:06 PM
Deleted but I still think it was just a dumb as heck decision.

GTHOM
05-30-2016, 01:13 PM
He isn't going to any top college because no one is going to play him at point guard. He is going to WKU to play for Stans because he is the only one that will play him at point guard. Do you honestly think Kansas, FSU, and NC State will play him there? Screw Malik and screw Horatio. There is no way a transfer is what's best for him. He ONLY had to spend one more year here and then he would have been on to the NBA but Horatio couldn't even do that. This kind of dumb decision makes Renardo Sidney look like a genius. And we got better effort and overall better stats from Sidney. Malik all time worst MSU Bulldog in history.

Slow down

DeputyDawg94
05-30-2016, 01:14 PM
I'm as disappointed that the hype didn't translate to production as anybody else, but him staying and not wanting to be here would be much worse than him leaving. Let him go and wish him well.

confucius say
05-30-2016, 01:17 PM

I feel like the kid wants to be in Starkville. The dad, not so much. Judging from comments of both

Bully13
05-30-2016, 01:17 PM
No need to trash Malik. Just be thankful we have a head coach who cares more about winning on the court which requires team unity than winning the feel good news spin. I appreciate Howland being honest with Malik and Horatio as well. This has more to do with us having a mature and competent head coach than losing Malik.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-30-2016, 01:18 PM
He isn't going to any top college because no one is going to play him at point guard. He is going to WKU to play for Stans because he is the only one that will play him at point guard. Do you honestly think Kansas, FSU, and NC State will play him there? Screw Malik and screw Horatio. There is no way a transfer is what's best for him. He ONLY had to spend one more year here and then he would have been on to the NBA but Horatio couldn't even do that. This kind of dumb decision makes Renardo Sidney look like a genius. And we got better effort and overall better stats from Sidney. Malik all time worst MSU Bulldog in history.

Go have a beer & chill out

War Machine Dawg
05-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Here's all I have to say to Malik & Big Train:
http://i.imgur.com/YQpBzdv.gif
http://i.imgur.com/dE14NDo.gif

JohnnyQuid
05-30-2016, 01:53 PM
completely over this drama fest - and I put all blame on horatio. hope the best for malik but he's got a ways to go from what I've seen

Prentis
05-30-2016, 02:39 PM
If he does transfer to a division-1 program he realizes he will have to sit out a year. That actually fits best for Malik, according to Webster.
"Sitting out a year is best for Malik because he knows he has to mature and get his body in better shape to play college basketball," said Webster. "While his offense is good, he knows he still needs to work on building his body up and improving his defense. He can work on those things while he sits out."

This dude dad is a genuis. Why not stay at state for 3 years under Howland?

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 02:52 PM
Defense is easy because it's about being aware or knowledge of the game, basketball comes with a manual, nothing is hidden. To be great at it you have to be quick and hustle, that is all. Know the pick is coming, it obvious the 'when' by the motion of ball handler and peripheral vision. Passing is vision, natural distribution is easy to learn. Open your eyes. Lanes in basketball, padding is textbook don't even need to be on a court. A natural shooter is a talent. We may get a PG we like but will he score 25. I truly believe if Malik was happy, he'd score 25 daily. I believe he was uncomfortable and looked sad at times more than arrogant.

I'm confused about this ordeal.

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 02:53 PM
The PG, nobody is great as a freshman. Rondo was good tho. Stockton great

msstate7
05-30-2016, 02:55 PM
Defense is easy because it's about being aware or knowledge of the game, basketball comes with a manual, nothing is hidden. To be great at it you have to be quick and hustle, that is all. Know the pick is coming, it obvious the 'when' by the motion of ball handler and peripheral vision. Passing is vision, natural distribution is easy to learn. Open your eyes. Lanes in basketball, padding is textbook don't even need to be on a court. A natural shooter is a talent. We may get a PG we like but will he score 25. I truly believe if Malik was happy, he'd score 25 daily. I believe he was uncomfortable and looked sad at times more than arrogant.

I'm confused about this ordeal.

I think the deal is Malik wants to be a 1. He isn't scoring 25 daily as a point. He could and should be a deadly 2 though.

MarketingBully
05-30-2016, 02:55 PM
If he does transfer to a division-1 program he realizes he will have to sit out a year. That actually fits best for Malik, according to Webster.
"Sitting out a year is best for Malik because he knows he has to mature and get his body in better shape to play college basketball," said Webster. "While his offense is good, he knows he still needs to work on building his body up and improving his defense. He can work on those things while he sits out."

This dude dad is a genuis. Why not stay at state for 3 years under Howland?

Horatio's quote just makes it even more extraordinarily stupid to transfer considering Coach Howland's strength is teaching defense.

RiverCityDawg
05-30-2016, 03:02 PM
Horatio's quote just makes it even more extraordinarily stupid to transfer considering Coach Howland's strength is teaching defense.

I think in that quote he's looking on the bright side. He doesn't want to come out and say they he wants him playing PG and Ben wouldn't guarantee that.

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 03:05 PM
Or it's just people in the same spots. So you master spots.

I want a team where a PG controls the floor and the posts control the paint. The end. Make it happen. Passes/are/spots/on/the/floor.

Don't overthink it

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 03:13 PM
im just saying if Malik scored high every game, he would be in the nba and nobody would be knocking him...but it was obvious he was 'uncomfortable' in some way...you could tell it on his face whether it was expectations or whatever.

What was our record? Why not have him play PG all last year ...I just don't understand it.

Goldendawg
05-30-2016, 03:13 PM
Good luck to Malik, but looks like he will be having his dad as an additional head coach wherever he goes.

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 03:24 PM
It's like boxing is about inches.... Not the power or even speed of a punch

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-30-2016, 03:30 PM
Kansas doesn't want him. We won't release him to any SEC school. Where would he go? Three words here. Dumb as shit.

Do we have a say since he never signed?

msstate7
05-30-2016, 03:30 PM
im just saying if Malik scored high every game, he would be in the nba and nobody would be knocking him...but it was obvious he was 'uncomfortable' in some way...you could tell it on his face whether it was expectations or whatever.

What was our record? Why not have him play PG all last year ...I just don't understand it.

We couldn't run an offensive set with him at the point. It was dribbling around the perimeter with someone jacking up a 3 before the shot clock run out. I don't wish Malik any ill will, but I'd be beyond shocked if he ever made the Nba as a point... Just can't handle the ball or create well enough with the ball in his hands

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-30-2016, 03:33 PM
I bet OM would

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 03:34 PM
Did we or did we not, only seem impressive if Malik had a good game...until the Vandy game and I love Q too.

I'm just sayin

RougeDawg
05-30-2016, 03:35 PM
Did we or did we not, only seem impressive if Malik had a good game...until the Vandy game and I love Q too.

I'm just sayin

Horatio, is that you? If so please find your damn marbles.

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 03:39 PM
I'm not saying he doesn't need practice...but I do believe he is a scorer who can learn to run an offense and he made good feeds to ware and others at times - he just needs ...to master spots. Offensively you have to own the spot and defensively but he's a freshman. I don't know how much practice he even got.

I seen it dawg
05-30-2016, 03:39 PM
Horatio you are a ****ing idiot. You are ruining your kids basketball career. It doesn't matter where he is he won't succeed bc you are trying to be the showman. Sit down shut the **** up and just let your kid get coached. By anybody at any school. ****ing toolbag.

msstate7
05-30-2016, 03:42 PM

I'm just sayin

We played our best the last 6 regular season games... Beat vandy, bama, South Carolina, and auburn with close loss to aTm and om. During that stretch, Malik scored 35 points (5.8 ppg). During same stretch, Q scored 91 (15.2 ppg)

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 03:43 PM
Ok person, whomever you are, ms state PG's lately penetrate to the rim to get stuffed it's a continuing trend unfortunate. They don't pass the ball out like a good PG does, didn't start with Malik.

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 03:44 PM
Guess what person, all 5 state players run to the rim when anybody penetrates instead of bu God try to get open.

Bothrops
05-30-2016, 03:45 PM
I wish him all the luck. Newman is a good kid, this is just an unfortunate situation.

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 03:45 PM
10 people in the pAint - no offense for state. Gee

Don't explain to me basketball person.

msstate7
05-30-2016, 03:53 PM
Ok person, whomever you are, ms state PG's lately penetrate to the rim to get stuffed it's a continuing trend unfortunate. They don't pass the ball out like a good PG does, didn't start with Malik.

Ready avg'd 4.5 assists per game (6th in sec)

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 03:58 PM
Were those teams playing their best. Tell me about vandy

MarketingBully
05-30-2016, 03:59 PM
This Q&A says it all.' Glad he is gone...

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2016/05/30/q-newmans-father-explains-why-malik-left-msu/85165842/

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 04:00 PM
If you want argue streaks and hot hands.

msstate7
05-30-2016, 04:04 PM
Were those teams playing their best. Tell me about vandy

Ok, you win... Malik should've been our point even if he was terrible at it last year. We shouldn't have done what we did (playing ready) even if it was what made us the better team.

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 04:08 PM
I'm just saying end of year, I was praying Obasahan would have some kind of a game.

Nothing against Ready.. But to say we are better off without Malik, who is a Mississippi kid ...is dumb in my opinion.

msstate7
05-30-2016, 04:12 PM
I'm just saying end of year, I was praying Obasahan would have some kind of a game.

Nothing against Ready.. But to say we are better off without Malik, who is a Mississippi kid ...is dumb in my opinion.

If Malik were back as a 2, there's no question we'd be a better team. Letting Malik try to play a position that it doesn't appear he has the skills for is another story. Again, I'll take ready and peters right now over Malik as a point. As a 2, I would absolutely love to have Malik. Malik wants to be a 1 though, so good luck to him.

I think of it like this... Gavin Collins saying he will come back, but only if he can play SS. Well Collins isn't a SS, so I'd rather lose him than hurt our team playing him at ss

BankerDog
05-30-2016, 04:14 PM
I_Spy,

Your points are valid. But, explain to me why Malik Newman didn't already have court awareness? With all the basketball he has played up until last year, he should've already had it; Q did. I sat and saw Newman drive numerous times where he did one of two things: kick it out or not finish at the rim. He could not knock down wide open outside shots nor play defense well enough in the SEC to be a starter. We played our best when Newman came off the bench.

Another thing I want to point out is the fact that Newman has been seen numerous times throughout games talking to his dad and doing what dad says. That should've ended a long time ago and it will not be allowed in the NBA. I wish Malik the best of luck.

Horatio, if you are reading, please stop trying to live your life through your son. If you can honestly sit here and believe whole heartedly that your son can be a NBA PG right now and matchup against a CP3, Damian Lillard, Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry, Kyrie Iriving, Kyle Lowrey Ricky Rubio, Rondo, etc you are wrong. All of these guys are great ball handlers, have great court awareness, can shoot, and are great defenders. Your son is a 2 Guard(Shooting Guard) and should focus on being able to create his own shot without the ball in his hand, like an Iman Shumpert. That's his best bet to have a long stable career in basketball.

Again, thank you guys for putting on the Maroon and White.

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 04:16 PM
And truly MS STate is the most under the rim stuffed, blocked guards I have ever seen in my life. Why is that?

Because nobody makes the right cuts and nobody finds the open man or sets up to be open. So guards repeatedly stuffed and u can't fault Malik for offensive woes.

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Or this is why Fred became an enigma ...they don't ever run an offense.

I can't blame Howland or Malik, Q or anybody.

All I can say is watch uconn and old school Tennessee, Notre Dame women because they've come farther it seems.

RougeDawg
05-30-2016, 04:30 PM
And truly MS STate is the most under the rim stuffed, blocked guards I have ever seen in my life. Why is that?

Because nobody makes the right cuts and nobody finds the open man or sets up to be open. So guards repeatedly stuffed and u can't fault Malik for offensive woes.

No, we point out that he wasn't good enough to start on a losing SEC team. That's all you need to know. Any human who saw NBA after last season needs a head exam.the only person who believes NBA after 2015/6 was the head case ruining the career. Maybe We will read about Malik lighting it up in Barcelona one day, but that's about it. The hype has ruined both of their heads.

smootness
05-30-2016, 04:53 PM
Or this is why Fred became an enigma ...they don't ever run an offense.

I can't blame Howland or Malik, Q or anybody.

All I can say is watch uconn and old school Tennessee, Notre Dame women because they've come farther it seems.

I do blame Malik here. He obviously wants to play PG because that's his best pro position if he's going to make it at that level. That part is fine. But Howland apparently isn't (and it wouldn't make sense if he did) saying he won't play PG, just that he hasn't earned it. So Malik has to be our best option at PG in order for him to play it. If he can't meat that standard, then he's never going to make it as a PG in the NBA.

There's no real benefit for him to transfer.

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 04:57 PM
Agreed you gotta earn it.

Magic was a great point guard.

But Malik doesn't deserve not has he earned all the negative talk. Or it's his fault etc etc. I think he is a great player who had a down year.

smootness
05-30-2016, 05:08 PM

But Malik doesn't deserve not has he earned all the negative talk. Or it's his fault etc etc. I think he is a great player who had a down year.

He was an extremely hyped player who came to State, disappointed, and then left because he wasn't promised the PG spot. It's pretty understood that fans will talk negatively about him.

smootness
05-30-2016, 05:12 PM
This Q&A says it all.' Glad he is gone...

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2016/05/30/q-newmans-father-explains-why-malik-left-msu/85165842/

Man, Webster is trying really hard to make sure State fans still think of him positively. And he's failing.

For the record, this is exactly why I was hoping Howland would build his teams here like he did at Pitt, with less-heralded prospects who are just tough. I think this recruiting class strikes a good balance.

Not sure I want us going after many of the elite, one-and-done type prospects, though, honestly.

msstate7
05-30-2016, 05:14 PM
Man, Webster is trying really hard to make sure State fans still think of him positively. And he's failing.
What I don't get is why Malik isn't answering these questions.

smootness
05-30-2016, 05:15 PM
What I don't get is why Malik isn't answering these questions.

I don't really mind his dad doing the media stuff, if Malik's ok with it. He's always taken that role, and it may make it easier on Malik.

notsofarawaydawg
05-30-2016, 05:15 PM
Good riddance of a bad parent who is trying to control a division I program.

Quaoarsking
05-30-2016, 05:17 PM
Sleeper pick for Malik's destination: Southeast Missouri State

ShotgunDawg
05-30-2016, 05:17 PM

Can you begin putting all your thoughts into one post?

Extremely difficult to keep up with what your saying

msstate7
05-30-2016, 05:19 PM
I don't really mind his dad doing the media stuff, if Malik's ok with it. He's always taken that role, and it may make it easier on Malik.

So his dad is his media spokesman and coaches Malik during games from the stands... I think his dad needs to stop speaking on behalf of Malik and let go. Maybe the best thing that could happen to Malik is to transfer to Washington or somewhere far away from his dad

msstate7
05-30-2016, 05:20 PM
Sleeper pick for Malik's destination: Southeast Missouri State

Ray would let Malik play pg or even center if he came.

Dawg61
05-30-2016, 05:21 PM
Howland isn't dumb. He knows MN won't be our best PG next year. He sees that Webster is a problem too. I do wish we would of put more of an urgency to sign a grad transfer though but it won't take Ben long to fill any open spots.

Dawg61
05-30-2016, 05:23 PM
Ray would let Malik play pg or even center if he came.

Idk if Malik is good enough to crack that starting 5. They had a freshman at the end of the bench turn pro this spring. They deep over there!!

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 05:23 PM
And OM is 7 win team with folk ... So...the point is what?

Are they good or are they no good?

Back to hugh is new just been at OM forever
Or they were just freshman

6 may be average, so 3 for 7 is like 9 over 3 maybe

shannondawg
05-30-2016, 05:29 PM
He needs to go where they will change their style of play to fit him. Thats gonna severely limit his choices.

RocketDawg
05-30-2016, 05:29 PM
Malik's a great kid and would be an asset. He is a team first guy. Too bad his daddy isn't.

Lots of kids have been ruined by over-zealous parents, not only in sports but academically too. And even in life. It's not good to live out your own fantasies through your children. Malik may be fine under the new arrangement, but he might not too.

Presumably he'll have to sit out a year if he goes to another college team. Or perhaps he'll just go some pro route.

RocketDawg
05-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Can you begin putting all your thoughts into one post?

Extremely difficult to keep up with what your saying

That's for sure. Just trying to raise the post count I suppose, but honestly it's hard to tell what he's saying anyway. Almost in code.

JohnnyQuid
05-30-2016, 05:47 PM
you know my first reaction was annoyance and anger - but horatio isn't blasting howland or state just said it was a bad fit - seems to me if they want him at point no questions asked then yea it's a bad fit. you would think that would have been discussed during the recruiting process tho. and for selfish reasons I wish malik would stay. if they truly feel this is the best move for his future then I hope it works out.

I don't think we'll be better or worse because of this. malik had moments but he didn't show he could dominate on a collegiate level so I have a hard time thinking he would anywhere else or at the pro level.

eta: if it's true that howland took a stand against a demand then I'm happy. you can't let players or their parents dictate how you run a program.

maroonmania
05-30-2016, 05:49 PM

Well I do, this is Malik's career, not Horatio's. Its fine for HW to give his advice to his son but the decision should be made by Malik and the explanation given by Malik. This has all the earmarks of a pageant Mom living vicariously through her child. And Horatio can talk all about what Howland did or did not do with Malik, the fact is that if Malik had the skill set to be in the NBA it would have been observed at the combine and MN would be in line to be drafted next month. But you know what, he's not. The fact that Malik didn't turn any heads this past month is squarely on Malik, not Ben Howland. Malik's best role in college is at the 2 guard because his best asset is his perimeter shooting, not running an offense. Yes, his best shot at an NBA career is at PG but Malik has a LOT of work to do to ever play that position with the skill needed for the NBA. If Malik was even CLOSE to being a true point guard right now I don't believe Howland would have had any issue promising Newman he would be at the 1. The fact is, how are you going to promise any player they can start at a position when they are likely going to be the 3rd best option on the team at that position next year. To be honest, I've never seen Malik look like a player ready for the NBA at any position when playing against high level competition (HS all-star games or college). It is a shame though because Malik could have certainly been our starting 2 next year if he was truly interested in what is best for MSU basketball, and could have been a darn good one at that with a year of experience under his belt. Obvious right now its all about him though so yes, he and Horatio should go do whatever it is they want to do.

chef dixon
05-30-2016, 06:01 PM
And OM is 7 win team with folk ... So...the point is what?

Are they good or are they no good?

Back to hugh is new just been at OM forever
Or they were just freshman

6 may be average, so 3 for 7 is like 9 over 3 maybe

I don't understand half of what you've typed until this post, where I don't understand any of it

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 07:29 PM
I'm not good at one post.

Boxing is about inches, refers to how important spacing is in basketball. Ten people headed for paint during penetration - not good. Focus on spacing.

Offensive plays - pattern plays, based on running patterns if they are inconsistent what's it mean ..? The enigma of Fred is they didn't run an offense. Pattern to get comfortable etc

Malik is not the problem.

RiverCityDawg
05-30-2016, 07:32 PM
I'm not good at one post.

Boxing is about inches, refers to how important spacing is in basketball. Ten people headed for paint during penetration - not good. Focus on spacing.

Offensive plays - pattern plays, based on running patterns if they are inconsistent what's it mean ..? The enigma of Fred is they didn't run an offense. Pattern to get comfortable etc

Malik is not the problem.

Go home, you're drunk.

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 07:39 PM
Spacing, team overall quickness ...the problem
It looks freshman to be quite honest. No offense.

Mccowan on our women's team ...a lil spacing, a lil quickness gained, what do you think her numbers will be? Anybody guess....

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 07:40 PM
Or state has looked freshman for years not because of the players...the concepts

RocketDawg
05-30-2016, 07:52 PM
Newman not being with us could be good in the long run. To me, it had all the markings of a previous 5-star who wanted to run the team, and in that case pretty much did and managed to get the coach fired. This time, Howland has stood up to the (veiled) demands and showed who is running the team. I'd like to see Malik remain with us, but not at the expense of the team.

JohnnyQuid
05-30-2016, 07:56 PM
Newman not being with us could be good in the long run. To me, it had all the markings of a previous 5-star who wanted to run the team, and in that case pretty much did and managed to get the coach fired. This time, Howland has stood up to the (veiled) demands and showed who is running the team. I'd like to see Malik remain with us, but not at the expense of the team.

I agree. you can't let a player or parent dictate things. we have a ton of talent coming in - best of luck to malik but I'm glad howland stood his ground and I trust his judgement

I_Spy
05-30-2016, 08:24 PM
Ball movement is always off time or a second late or early which also messes up spacing and rhythm ..

Basically they don't run an offense

Look at uconn vs ms state women - uconn passes happen on time, right space, fluid motion just like the mechanics of a shot
Smooth etc

Dawg61
05-30-2016, 09:25 PM
Ball movement is always off time or a second late or early which also messes up spacing and rhythm ..

Look at uconn vs ms state women - uconn passes happen on time, right space, fluid motion just like the mechanics of a shot
Smooth etc

Someone put this drunk horse out of its misery

MarketingBully
05-31-2016, 12:14 AM
Horatio you are a ****ing idiot. You are ruining your kids basketball career. It doesn't matter where he is he won't succeed bc you are trying to be the showman. Sit down shut the **** up and just let your kid get coached. By anybody at any school. ****ing toolbag.

Couldn't of said it better myself. Great post I Seen It.

MarketingBully
05-31-2016, 12:15 AM

Smooth etc

This is complete bullshit.

JohnnyQuid
05-31-2016, 12:50 AM
Defense is easy because it's about being aware or knowledge of the game, basketball comes with a manual, nothing is hidden.

I'm not sure I agree with this. defense can't be played well by someone with lesser talent - but it requires maximum effort. guys coming out of HS usually struggle at this because they've cruised through HS and beaten everyone on sheer ability or size.

defense is easy** sounds fair enough when you say it but ima have to disagree. on any good team we've had a couple guys that might not light up a stat sheet but did all the little things - defense and rebounding. hell weatherspoon got a shit ton of rebounds last year for a guard - it's all about drive and want to

I_Spy
05-31-2016, 01:42 AM
Defense is easy as in knowledge, effort being hard to do, for some.

Kobe Bryant understands spacing (creating space by yourself or off moves)
Uconn best example of offensive play calling spacing + timing

Look forward to tomorrow

I_Spy
05-31-2016, 02:12 AM
My case is that effort would be 'not' the problem. I wasn't born bodily athletically gifted - speed etc
In basketball tho one on one championship anywhere my high school, ja, delta state... However I couldn't play with 4 other people to save my life. Nobody would tell me anything...but defensively I blocked shots, took charges etc ...
Could barely catch a ball because I was a one on one extraordinaire. Nobody helped me try to get better at that.
So I quit by high school and I'm much older, now I understand. Not a know it all, just been there, done that

I_Spy
05-31-2016, 02:23 AM
I didn't quit because I didn't want to continue the effort but I wasn't getting anywhere. Defensive with a team but won all one on one competitions be it posts or guards.
focused on another sport

KentuckyDawg13
05-31-2016, 08:15 AM
Malik not staying and trying to earn the PG position says a lot about his personality. He has been blessed with skills that most would sell their soul for, yet he wants to morph into another position. Fine, just do it. Seems with a program that totally embraced him, treated him like a rock star, and was a legacy...he could have thrived at MSU. This was almost a passive-aggressive move since he wasn't good enough for the NBA, "I will take my ball and go home."

With that said, I cannot fully bash the kid like some here. I too transferred during my freshman year, from USM to MSU. I got some flak for it, but it was my decision and turned out to be one of the best decisions I made.

MSU basketball will be fine, as Howland has been preparing for his departure this whole time albeit the NBA. We have two strong PG's this coming season and are loaded with the rest of the elite talent coming including many SG's that would directly compete with Malik. It would have been awesome to have Malik, but the challenge of him breaking into the starting PG was too much for him to endure. How he thinks he can make the NBA as a PG yet not break into the starting role at MSU really stresses the decision.

Good luck Malik, wherever you go.

MSU Basketball is back.

Political Hack
05-31-2016, 09:17 AM
Wish Malik the best.

maroonmania
05-31-2016, 09:54 AM
I didn't quit because I didn't want to continue the effort but I wasn't getting anywhere. Defensive with a team but won all one on one competitions be it posts or guards.
focused on another sport

You can post 1000 difficult to comprehend posts in this thread and it still will not make Malik a good college PG. And THAT is the issue. Howland is not going to promise Malik the starting PG spot (which he would have had to do for Newman to stay) when his current strengths as a player in college do not lend themselves to being a PG. IF Malik improved in certain areas I'm sure Howland would play him there but that is what is meant by he would have to EARN the job. Right now Malik is a scorer primarily as a perimeter jump shooter, he is not a distributer.

Pollodawg
05-31-2016, 09:56 AM
I'll say it: We're sorry, Courtney.

MarketingBully
05-31-2016, 09:56 AM
If you read about Josh Selby, it pretty much mirrors Malik Newman. High recruit that was drafted late second round that was a SG trying to be PG. NBA scouts even compare them both together. It's amazing to me that Kansas would even want to recruit this kid given their history with Selby. Good luck to Newman but I don't think he is going to increase his stock anymore. Whether he went in this year's draft or the 2018 draft, he is still a second round pick.

fishwater99
05-31-2016, 09:57 AM
You can post 1000 difficult to comprehend posts in this thread and it still will not make Malik a good college PG. And THAT is the issue. Howland is not going to promise Malik the starting PG spot (which he would have had to do for Newman to stay) when his current strengths as a player in college do not lend themselves to being a PG. IF Malik improved in certain areas I'm sure Howland would play him there but that is what is meant by he would have to EARN the job. Right now Malik is a scorer primarily as a perimeter jump shooter, he is not a distributer.

THIS !!!

dawgpound
05-31-2016, 10:06 AM
good riddance to him and his father!

Ifyouonlyknew
05-31-2016, 10:18 AM
If you read about Josh Selby, it pretty much mirrors Malik Newman. High recruit that was drafted late second round that was a SG trying to be PG. NBA scouts even compare them both together. It's amazing to me that Kansas would even want to recruit this kid given their history with Selby. Good luck to Newman but I don't think he is going to increase his stock anymore. Whether he went in this year's draft or the 2018 draft, he is still a second round pick.

Biggest difference is Selby was considered a head case & lazy. That hasn't been Malik up to this point in his career. Their games aren't really similar either. Selby was extremely athletic but not a good shooter while Malik is a good shooter with average athleticism. Not directed at you but comparing the 2 is kind of lazy IMO.

MarketingBully
05-31-2016, 10:24 AM
Biggest difference is Selby was considered a head case & lazy. That hasn't been Malik up to this point in his career. Their games aren't really similar either. Selby was extremely athletic but not a good shooter while Malik is a good shooter with average athleticism. Not directed at you but comparing the 2 is kind of lazy IMO.

Still will be the same result. Scouts are comparing the two and people like Gary Parrish as well. I think they know a little bit more then most. He is an undersized two guard that will not make it in the NBA as a point guard. This still leads to a second round pick and odds are good more then likely an over seas career. Sometimes players reach their full potential in high school and are over hyped by the recruiting services. You guys really should listen to the OOB podcast with Gary Parrish. That about sums everything up.

MarketingBully
05-31-2016, 10:29 AM
I'll also add Selby might have been labeled a head case but Newman has something worse an overbearing dad who tries to overrule the coaching Malik receives from the coaches and tries to dictate everything he does. That to me is worse then a so called lazy/head case.

BayouDawg
05-31-2016, 10:37 AM
It never really looked like Malik wanted to be here. His mind was always in the NBA. All I'll say is that if Malik is gonna look for someone to blame every time he faces adversity he's not gonna make it very far in this life. I wish him the best, but I can't say I'm truly heart broken to see the back of him. I'd rather him leave than stay here and not be fully invested.

maroonmania
05-31-2016, 11:50 AM
I'll also add Selby might have been labeled a head case but Newman has something worse an overbearing dad who tries to overrule the coaching Malik receives from the coaches and tries to dictate everything he does. That to me is worse then a so called lazy/head case.

You are correct. Most coaches would just as soon deal with a player that is a head case as to deal with a player who has a meddling parent who contradicts you as a coach. Either one is a bad situation.

maroonmania
05-31-2016, 11:51 AM
It never really looked like Malik wanted to be here. His mind was always in the NBA. All I'll say is that if Malik is gonna look for someone to blame every time he faces adversity he's not gonna make it very far in this life. I wish him the best, but I can't say I'm truly heart broken to see the back of him. I'd rather him leave than stay here and not be fully invested.

For Horatio and Malik it obviously is ALL about the NBA. If not, Malik would be back as our starting 2 guard.

MarketingBully
06-01-2016, 02:04 PM
Early school list, Kansas, NC State, and Fla St, with others to follow. Its all going to be good. This may be best for all parties. We don't need a kid on team "auditioning " for the NBA all year. We lose a "involved" guardian. Now, other kids can step up and develop. Wish him well! Don't really see NBA as final landing spot however.BTW, talking to another D1 HC recently, he says are really enamored with transfers these days mores than high profile HS kids. Less baggage, cars already paid for, and they have no other place to go and accept coaching better.

You do realize that you have been "rumoring" the very definition of tampering which not only can make Malik ineligible st the schools listed above but can get these coaches suspended. I am sure if we wanted to we could get a lot of these schools in trouble but I doubt we do. The list of schools should have happened a couple of days after the official release happened. I wish we would teach these guys a lesson as I know Horatio has been calling a lot of these schools before they even decided to officially transfer. This hasn't been above board.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-01-2016, 02:10 PM
You do realize that you have been "rumoring" the very definition of tampering which not only can make Malik ineligible st the schools listed above but can get these coaches suspended. I am sure if we wanted to we could get a lot of these schools in trouble but I doubt we do. The list of schools should have happened a couple of days after the official release happened. I wish we would teach these guys a lesson as I know Horatio has been calling a lot of these schools before they even decided to officially transfer. This hasn't been above board.

Why would we want to teach them a lesson? We're not upset about him transferring we agreed with it. Also it's pretty easy to get around the tampering rule just call the kids HS coach. That's fine & dandy once word gets out he's looking to transfer.

MarketingBully
06-01-2016, 02:14 PM
Why would we want to teach them a lesson? We're not upset about him transferring we agreed with it. Also it's pretty easy to get around the tampering rule just call the kids HS coach. That's fine & dandy once word gets out he's looking to transfer.

This guy has been talking about him tansferring since April and even mentioned Kansas heavily. Guess where his first place to visit is? You guessed it Kansas. I think all in all it's a good move for both parties but to say this process has been above board is bullshit.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-01-2016, 02:51 PM
This guy has been talking about him tansferring since April and even mentioned Kansas heavily. Guess where his first place to visit is? You guessed it Kansas. I think all in all it's a good move for both parties but to say this process has been above board is bullshit.

Again nobody said everything was above board but nobody seems to be upset but you. The coaches aren't, the team isn't, even most fans are good with the outcome. I just don't see what the anger is for.

msstate7
06-01-2016, 02:58 PM
If he goes to Kansas, I bet self ends up "trying" him at pg before Malik ends up as a 2. I think Malik will end up being good as a 2 too

MarketingBully
06-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Again nobody said everything was above board but nobody seems to be upset but you. The coaches aren't, the team isn't, even most fans are good with the outcome. I just don't see what the anger is for.

My big thing is Newman is blaming everything on Howland on why he struggled and the perception nationally is that he is right and Newman will thrive somewhere else. This will also be used against us in recruiting. The truth is that Newman is a crappy point guard that couldn't beat out IJ Ready at the point and right now is an average college player at best. Someone will lie to him and say they will play him at point guard when they eventually will put him at the SG because that is what he is. Howland is a great coach who has gotten great guards to the NBA. How was he supposed to know Newman would suck so much at the PG? I agree we are better off without Newman but I don't like the perception this created with the national media.

MarketingBully
06-01-2016, 03:29 PM
If he goes to Kansas, I bet self ends up "trying" him at pg before Malik ends up as a 2. I think Malik will end up being good as a 2 too

We did the same thing. We tried him at point guard. He couldn't run a fairly simple offense. He would have done well as a SG with Q and Ready at the 2. He would have done enough and had been a possible first round pick and been in the 2017 NBA draft. Still say the transfer will ultimately be the wrong thing to do. He won't improve much to get to the lottery but could be a late first round early second round selection. But he could have done that here. Hence this was just a dumb move all the way around.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-01-2016, 03:37 PM
My big thing is Newman is blaming everything on Howland on why he struggled and the perception nationally is that he is right and Newman will thrive somewhere else. This will also be used against us in recruiting. The truth is that Newman is a crappy point guard that couldn't beat out IJ Ready at the point and right now is an average college player at best. Someone will lie to him and say they will play him at point guard when they eventually will put him at the SG because that is what he is. Howland is a great coach who has gotten great guards to the NBA. How was he supposed to know Newman would suck so much at the PG? I agree we are better off without Newman but I don't like the perception this created with the national media.

+1 great points...

maroonmania
06-01-2016, 03:45 PM

So my question is was it Ben Howland's fault that Malik didn't show enough at the NBA combine to warrant being drafted? Malik was free there to show the NBA scouts whatever he wanted to at whatever position he wanted to but couldn't garner much interest.

MarketingBully
06-01-2016, 03:59 PM
So my question is was it Ben Howland's fault that Malik didn't show enough at the NBA combine to warrant being drafted? Malik was free there to show the NBA scouts whatever he wanted to at whatever position he wanted to but couldn't garner much interest.

No it wasn't but it will be used against him and is being used against him now with media pundits stating that top 10 players shouldn't go to Mississippi State. Heck, pundits are even using how we played last year against him saying that Howland has a slow methodical style even though we averaged 75 points last year. And we had shitty players last year but don't tell them. It's all just a bunch of bullshit. Only way to prove them wrong is to have a wide open style with the players we have this year. Even though for the most part we were wide open last year as well. Who knows?

Ifyouonlyknew
06-01-2016, 04:00 PM

Maybe I've missed it but I haven't seen a lot of national media bashing Howland or bad mouthing Howland for Malik not being a 1 & done. 1 kid who didn't progress like we expected <<< 20+ NBA players. I don't think this little hiccup will hurt our recruiting at all. Our top target for 2017 just has to look down the hall in his own home to see how good Howland is at developing talent. We are & will be fine. Good luck to Malik & Go Dawgs!!!

MarketingBully
06-01-2016, 04:06 PM
Maybe I've missed it but I haven't seen a lot of national media bashing Howland or bad mouthing Howland for Malik not being a 1 & done. 1 kid who didn't progress like we expected <<< 20+ NBA players. I don't think this little hiccup will hurt our recruiting at all. Our top target for 2017 just has to look down the hall in his own home to see how good Howland is at developing talent. We are & will be fine. Good luck to Malik & Go Dawgs!!!

Take a look at Twitter and podcasts. Ya know, people who are not located in the south. Sure, Gary Parrish and those guys aren't saying it because Gary likes respects and knows Coach Howland. But other bloggers are taking shots at our program.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-01-2016, 04:13 PM
Take a look at Twitter and podcasts. Ya know, people who are not located in the south. Sure, Gary Parrish and those guys aren't saying it because Gary likes respects and knows Coach Howland. But other bloggers are taking shots at our program.

It's not a big deal.

mic
06-01-2016, 04:35 PM

At least it's about not getting a kid to the pros as a frosh .. And not about players fighting in the Stands...

BayouDawg
06-01-2016, 04:43 PM
At least it's about not getting a kid to the pros as a frosh .. And not about players fighting in the Stands...

Ah good ol stands. Or dingleberry as he is known around my condo

MarketingBully
06-01-2016, 07:46 PM
The funny thing through all of this is when we run a wide open style with the athletes we have brought in (which we will) Horatio and Newman will look like idiots. It was very weak the Q&A that Horatio gave the Clarion Ledger and it will catch up with them in the end. Malik has a heck of a lot of growing up to do in order to do anything at the college level. If he was our best option at PG, he would still be here. Fact is he is not so he's gone. Why didn't they just say they didn't want to be here. I would have accepted that better then Howland's style of play excuse. It's a bullshit excuse. There I have said all I have to say on the subject. I'm done. Bye Malik so long!