PDA

View Full Version : The regionals were based on the RPI evidently

dawgoneyall
05-29-2016, 10:01 PM
yet we are predicted to have a national seed with an RPI of 11. Obviously, we should have a national because no one, no one has better wins than MSU. No one. Having said that is the formula for the RPI maybe a little/lot screwed up.

Something needs to be reassessed. We won the regular season championship in the best conference in the nation and have an RPI of 11. Something is not right with the formula.

Say y'all.....

Taog Redloh
05-29-2016, 10:20 PM
The formula is what it is, bro. There is no secret as to what it will spit out.

The only question is how much weight it should have in the eyes of the committee.

Todd4State
05-29-2016, 10:25 PM
RPI matters. No one has ever said it didn't. That said, it doesn't matter when it's week one of the SEC season and people are freaking out about our RPI being in the 50's. People like me and engie (RIP) said our RPI would be fine if we won- and that is exactly what has happened barring something unforeseen tomorrow.

Heck, I remember we had someone, I can't remember who, worrying about RPI when we were 13th- until I pointed out that wasn't a bad RPI at all.

So, the issue isn't that some of us think that RPI isn't important- it's just that it's not worth worrying about until about week five of the SEC season. It's just something else for MSU fans to worry over. And it doesn't help that Ole Miss had a higher RPI because until we played them head to head on the field that was Ole Miss fans measuring stick to tell us that they were better than us. Which is something that they are all familiar with since a flawed formula is apparently the only way that they can win a football National Championship since cheating hasn't worked too well for them.

Our biggest problem this year was we happened to play too many PAC 12 teams- but there is no way of knowing that the entire West Coast would tank like it did this year. Oregon isn't going to the postseason and they were 9th or 10th in the country when we played them- and they actually still ended up being one of the better teams out West. We have gotten burned time and time again by playing teams out west- and I think the solution is to play only one PAC 12 team and then play an ACC team. We don't even have to play Miami or Florida State. Even someone like Boston College would have ended up helping us more than playing USC or UCLA from a RPI standpoint.

I also think we need to try to get Tulane, New Orleans, and Louisiana Tech on the schedule. Drop EKU, Troy, and ULM. Shoot- if we had played a tournament in New Orleans with Tulane, ULL, and UNO it would have been better than the one in Los Angeles from a RPI standpoint. The three Louisiana teams I mentioned are all up and coming teams and you could argue that Tulane and La Tech have already arrived. And it's very possible to get UNO and Tulane to play us in Biloxi and probably La Tech as well.

chef dixon
05-29-2016, 11:01 PM
We won 9 series in the SEC. That is why we will be a national seed.

dawgoneyall
05-29-2016, 11:07 PM
RPI matters. No one has ever said it didn't. That said, it doesn't matter when it's week one of the SEC season and people are freaking out about our RPI being in the 50's. People like me and engie (RIP) said our RPI would be fine if we won- and that is exactly what has happened barring something unforeseen tomorrow.

Heck, I remember we had someone, I can't remember who, worrying about RPI when we were 13th- until I pointed out that wasn't a bad RPI at all.

So, the issue isn't that some of us think that RPI isn't important- it's just that it's not worth worrying about until about week five of the SEC season. It's just something else for MSU fans to worry over. And it doesn't help that Ole Miss had a higher RPI because until we played them head to head on the field that was Ole Miss fans measuring stick to tell us that they were better than us. Which is something that they are all familiar with since a flawed formula is apparently the only way that they can win a football National Championship since cheating hasn't worked too well for them.

Our biggest problem this year was we happened to play too many PAC 12 teams- but there is no way of knowing that the entire West Coast would tank like it did this year. Oregon isn't going to the postseason and they were 9th or 10th in the country when we played them- and they actually still ended up being one of the better teams out West. We have gotten burned time and time again by playing teams out west- and I think the solution is to play only one PAC 12 team and then play an ACC team. We don't even have to play Miami or Florida State. Even someone like Boston College would have ended up helping us more than playing USC or UCLA from a RPI standpoint.

I also think we need to try to get Tulane, New Orleans, and Louisiana Tech on the schedule. Drop EKU, Troy, and ULM. Shoot- if we had played a tournament in New Orleans with Tulane, ULL, and UNO it would have been better than the one in Los Angeles from a RPI standpoint. The three Louisiana teams I mentioned are all up and coming teams and you could argue that Tulane and La Tech have already arrived. And it's very possible to get UNO and Tulane to play us in Biloxi and probably La Tech as well.

I know all that but should the RPI be reformulated. Something is wrong with the formula (in my opinion).

Todd4State
05-29-2016, 11:59 PM
I know all that but should the RPI be reformulated. Something is wrong with the formula (in my opinion).

I wonder what would happen if they added more weight to conference RPI? That way someone like us wouldn't be penalized for playing a PAC 12 in a down year and it would make it less likely that someone like Ole Miss could game the RPI system by playing the "right" mid majors?