PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Dawgs

MaroonFlounder
05-28-2016, 06:20 AM
We are not getting the 2-out, 2-strike hits we were once getting.

Mangum is starting to show some true freshman tendencies. Not sure if it's due to trying too hard on a big stage or what.

If Hudson or Sexton are both worn out, I am pissed about all the 100+ pitch games they both endured during the season.

I hope the Cohen meddling is not back. Maybe he was just trying to tinker to discover some other options for the big tournament.

Did the light truly come on for Houston...or was that just a terrible hitting Bama team?

I'm hoping Humphries will be our best weapon going forward, closing games out. Much more important than his bat.

Some guys are in a slump that we depended on...not a good sign going forward.

Errors in the field, if they continue...we will not even make it out of our own regional.

basedog
05-28-2016, 07:33 AM
I was disappointed in our showing in the tournament but I do think we will bounce back with better results in the Regional.

Many teams lay an egg in the Sec Tournament and play well in the next few weeks. I don't think our guys and coaches were to focused this week after winning the Sec, we fans as well as the team got caught up in the moment, after all 1989 was a long time ago.

SaintDawg
05-28-2016, 08:07 AM
1989 was a long time ago. As a side note, the '89 team didnt win its regional.

basedog
05-28-2016, 08:56 AM
May be the biggest disappointing team as for as talent to not make the CWS, if I recall we were ranked #1 and the Aggies were #2 and both lost in the regional. I remember watching NC beating us in the first game and thinking NO way we lose the second one. Just shows anything can happen in baseball as we were by far the most talented team in the country.

Brando
05-28-2016, 09:03 AM
We will be fine. We have the regular season title in hand and the tournament means nothing. We have a national seed locked up and are sitting right. We have a little under a wk to rest and get focused. Ask USCe all about the SEC tourney and see what they say. Ray Tanner has more National Championship rings than tourney wins.

Todd4State
05-28-2016, 09:28 AM
1989 was a long time ago. As a side note, the '89 team didnt win its regional.

We did make it to the last round of the regional that year though- which would approximately be the equivalent of a Super Regional today.

basedog
05-28-2016, 09:33 AM
We did make it to the last round of the regional that year though- which would approximately be the equivalent of a Super Regional today.

But is was very disappointing watching us lose two that day. I can remember everyone was saying there was NO way we could lose two in a row. We pitched well both games but NC pitched better and had timely hitting, neither team had many hits that day if I recall.

State82
05-28-2016, 09:40 AM
I like Collins' quote: "It was embarrassing. We've got a lot of work to do this week, and we all know that and we're going to get after it and have a different look."

That's the attitude.

confucius say
05-28-2016, 09:42 AM
We will go as far as bullpen takes us. That's the missing piece, bc it is hit or miss and not consistent.

djaymsu5
05-28-2016, 10:21 AM
I like Collins' quote: "It was embarrassing. We've got a lot of work to do this week, and we all know that and we're going to get after it and have a different look."

That's the attitude.

And Collins can start by blocking the damn ball up at 3rd. I saw one get by him to go in the outfield that Marrero threw down on which was dumb in itself cause the runner was barely off the bag. I saw the other get by him on JJ's triple and almost went into the dugout.

smootness
05-28-2016, 10:23 AM

That's the attitude.

You could argue this will actually be a good thing moving forward for the team.

Regardless, State fans are definitely overreacting to it. Yes, the whole year we were playing on borrowed time and were finally exposed in the last two**

cujo
05-28-2016, 10:54 AM
But is was very disappointing watching us lose two that day. I can remember everyone was saying there was NO way we could lose two in a row. We pitched well both games but NC pitched better and had timely hitting, neither team had many hits that day if I recall.

We were coming through the losers bracket and had to win two that day while NC only had to win one. We won the first game behind Bobby Reed. In the second game, we started a middle reliever who had been great for us all year in that role, ala Girodo in '13. But he had never started a game and Carolina got to him early and that did it because we were out of pitching.
The failure of that team to go to Omaha is my single biggest disappointment as a State fan. I really thought they were going to win the NC.

basedog
05-28-2016, 11:22 AM
Yep you are correct, I was there also and i was wrong but i still remember thinking after we won that first game we would win the second as well.

I seen it dawg
05-28-2016, 12:16 PM
And Collins can start by blocking the damn ball up at 3rd. I saw one get by him to go in the outfield that Marrero threw down on which was dumb in itself cause the runner was barely off the bag. I saw the other get by him on JJ's triple and almost went into the dugout.

The throw by marrero was into the damn runner who was diving back into the bag. We never should have been trying to pick that guy anyway. Go somewhere else with that one.

Coach34
05-28-2016, 12:20 PM
We should be ready to go Friday. We are reasonably healthy and have no excuses- and we wont make any either. Our 2 frontline SP's show up and we'll be fine. We get in the bullpen early- we got problems

the59dawg
05-28-2016, 12:25 PM
The throw by marrero was into the damn runner who was diving back into the bag. We never should have been trying to pick that guy anyway. Go somewhere else with that one.

Just like all those fakes back to second that Hudson was doing in game 2, even when the bases were loaded. What the heck was all that far. He should have been focused on the batter.

Commercecomet24
05-28-2016, 12:53 PM
We were coming through the losers bracket and had to win two that day while NC only had to win one. We won the first game behind Bobby Reed. In the second game, we started a middle reliever who had been great for us all year in that role, ala Girodo in '13. But he had never started a game and Carolina got to him early and that did it because we were out of pitching.
The failure of that team to go to Omaha is my single biggest disappointment as a State fan. I really thought they were going to win the NC.

You are correct! I was there as well. Bobby Reed pitched a gem to get us to the final and Pete Young, our closer started the final. He pitched well for a couple innings but that's all he had. I had made plans to go to Omaha before the regional and was sorely disappointed! That one hurt!

Commercecomet24
05-28-2016, 12:55 PM

Exactly! With 2 outs you don't make that throw. That was just a stupid mistake.

nsvltndog
05-28-2016, 01:00 PM

I have to agree with the 1989 team being my biggest disappointment, at least as far as baseball goes. Not beating Syracuse to get to play UK for the National Championship in the Final 4 in 1996 would be my basketball moment, and in football it would be a tie between failing to beat the Black Bears either of the last 2 years with trips to the BCS playoffs and Sugar Bowl on the line.

Back to the task at hand, I was a freshman in 1989 and man was that a fantastic way to become a Bulldogs baseball fan - especially coming off a 1-10 football season. We were #1 almost all year long and finished 54-14. That was the era of a 48 team playoff and only 8 teams hosting. I think I liked that 6 team regional format better than what we have today. UNC beat us 2-1 in the 3rd game and that was the killer. We had to beat Indiana State in the losers bracket while UNC rested and then had to come back and beat UNC twice. We dominated the 1st game of the DH, but I remember talking to some of the old diehards in the LFL during game 1 who were extremely nervous that UNC had their ace waiting for us that night and we were essentially out of pitching. The mood at Dudy Noble was that we were going to come out that night and punch our ticket to Omaha, but the diehards that knew their baseball ended up being right. We lost 7-1 and it was over pretty early b/c their pitcher was dominant.

I truly think the 1989 team from top to bottom may have been better than the 1985 team. It was a far better team than the one that made it to the College World Series finals a few years ago. We didn't have as many future major leaguers as the 85 team, but man was that an awesome team. I watched some of the CWS that year and it really hurt b/c I didn't see a single team playing that looked as strong as MSU.

maroonmania
05-28-2016, 01:53 PM

Exactly, our true freshman have made some very true freshman mistakes lately. That Marrero throw to third was a throw that should never have been made. The Mangum attempt to stretch his single to a double down 4 runs was just a dumbass play (and that's being nice). It was just a bad last 2 games in the SEC tourney all the way around, not much other way to spin it. Main thing I'm concerned about is we scored 8 runs in 3 games in Hoover and never had an inning we scored more than 2 runs. We've got to get the offense rolling again if we want to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. With the new baseball, you can't expect to hold really good teams to 2 or 3 runs every time out.