PDA

View Full Version : Journalistic integrity

PassInterference
05-28-2016, 12:11 AM
There's a rule about "sources". Reporters are given permission to report things said off the record so long as the source isn't revealed.

There is also an honor code that the things said are true.

Obviously, Ole Miss broke this code. Now I want to see somebody even this up by outing the source.

Come on, somebody, step up. It might be career suicide or maybe you'll be thanked for evening the score.

Reason2succeed
05-28-2016, 06:44 AM
The Clarion Ledger has proven that there is no such thing as journalistic integrity.

drunkernhelldawg
05-28-2016, 07:36 AM
There's a rule about "sources". Reporters are given permission to report things said off the record so long as the source isn't revealed.

There is also an honor code that the things said are true.

Obviously, Ole Miss broke this code. Now I want to see somebody even this up by outing the source.

Come on, somebody, step up. It might be career suicide or maybe you'll be thanked for evening the score.

That's the opposite of true. Reporters are obligated to use credible information and let the reader know where the information comes from. They can use anonymous information, but only in special circumstances. They must also explain this to the reader. If a source has been promised anonymity, a reporter can't later just break that promise. None of this applies on Twitter, which is one reason that it is no substitute for journalism.

Schultzy
05-28-2016, 08:09 AM
In 2013, the NCAA rearranged its violation structure on a four-tier system — from Level 1 through Level 4 — and placed increased responsibility on head coaches to ensure their programs toed the line of accountability. Of the 13 violations listed in the NCAA’s Notice of Allegations, nine took place under Freeze; worse yet, many of the violations are deemed of the Level 1 variety, per the NCAA. Those represent, in the NCAA’s terminology, a “severe breach of conduct,” with examples ranging from a “lack of institutional control” through a “head coach responsibility violation.”

USA TODAY
NCAA-Ole Miss: Complete allegations, response

Under the previous structure, NCAA penalties hinged on if a head coach was aware of the violations, or whether there was “a presumption of knowledge.” That is no longer the standard: The bylaw now “presumes responsibility,” meaning, essentially, that the head coach is considered guilty until proven innocent.

As such, the severity of the penalties may equal the crime — with the changes implemented in 2013 potentially placing Freeze in a position where he may face a suspension ranging from 10% of a season to an entire season, if not more, or a show-cause order."

USA Today's Paul Myerberg

Bully13
05-28-2016, 08:16 AM
How anybody regardless of what team you pull for can read that and not conclude Ole Miss is about to get 17'd extra hard is beyond me.

Dawgface
05-28-2016, 08:20 AM
I look forward to hearing what Finebaum has to say next week. A couple of weeks ago he said he believed Freeze and thought he spoke from the heart. Ha.

Coackjek
05-28-2016, 09:22 AM
I look forward to hearing what Finebaum has to say next week. A couple of weeks ago he said he believed Freeze and thought he spoke from the heart. Ha.

And I believe that he will roast them. He trusted and got burned for it. OM has lost all credibility after being caught in so many lies up to this point that it will take years to recover. Their journalism school will burn to the ground before it's over.

Dawgowar
05-28-2016, 09:30 AM
OM has lost all credibility after being caught in so many lies up to this point that it will take years to recover.

And this will hopefully prove to be the event that forces the state's media outlets to evaluate how they do business. The CL needs to fold.

Churchill
05-28-2016, 09:48 AM
for many years

msbulldog
05-28-2016, 10:14 AM

I was hoping for a response, from Finebaum Friday afternoon, but he must be on vacation. They aired 'best of' which I've heard before,turned off.

BulldogDX55
05-28-2016, 10:45 AM

Finebaum knew he was dirty, but it's part of his schtick to give them all the rope they need to hang themselves. His show is meant for all of the SEC to consume, so he plays nice with everyone. When things are proven, he gets to have righteous, wife of twenty years who just found out about a decade long affair levels of offense taken. It makes for great radio.

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-28-2016, 11:29 AM
Here's what Finebaum had to say on Friday.....

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15768246

Howboutdemdogs
05-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Bring on the marshmallows and hotdogs, the roast is about to happen.

RocketDawg
05-28-2016, 12:03 PM
Finebaum knew he was dirty, but it's part of his schtick to give them all the rope they need to hang themselves. His show is meant for all of the SEC to consume, so he plays nice with everyone. When things are proven, he gets to have righteous, wife of twenty years who just found out about a decade long affair levels of offense taken. It makes for great radio.

I think that's true. He's also "nicer" when the individual is actually there ... and it was a live interview with Freeze on the golf course according to what I've read (I didn't see it) so he would be nicer. Plus, Freeze is a HC in the SEC ... he will get respect from Finebaum. What Finebaum says when the person is not present may be something else entirely, especially after what was released yesterday.

drunkernhelldawg
05-28-2016, 12:42 PM
Here's what Finebaum had to say on Friday.....

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15768246

He hammered on 'em. Called out the lies. Talked about reputation and embarrassment for "this university".

Saltydog
05-28-2016, 01:31 PM
but he was adamant yesterday that every reporter that had a "source" on this initially should now "out that source" because of their "intentional" misinformation.

Goldendawg
05-28-2016, 03:29 PM
Well then Matt should be the first.

Reason2succeed
05-28-2016, 09:36 PM
Finebaum comes across as annoyed that Ole Miss got caught not that they are cheating. And I can't see how he could say that the damage done to "a top flight program" like OM won't be that much. He's still diminishing the impact. I guess he is sucking in all of the OM callers for Tuesday. All except for Archie in Ocean Springs.

smootness
05-28-2016, 10:05 PM
That's the opposite of true. Reporters are obligated to use credible information and let the reader know where the information comes from. They can use anonymous information, but only in special circumstances. They must also explain this to the reader. If a source has been promised anonymity, a reporter can't later just break that promise. None of this applies on Twitter, which is one reason that it is no substitute for journalism.

Obligated to whom?

Schultzy
05-28-2016, 10:48 PM
Obligated to whom?

To me.

smootness
05-28-2016, 11:02 PM
To me.

Then why would that not also apply to Twitter?

drunkernhelldawg
05-28-2016, 11:39 PM
Obligated to whom?

Virtually every paper, large and small, calls themselves abiding by this. Reporters get fired for violating it.

https://www.spj.org/pdf/spj-code-of-ethics.pdf