PDA

View Full Version : Chris Stratton

MsStateBaseball
08-20-2013, 12:26 PM
If you saw my Red Sox's demolish my other favorite team the Giants last night, then you heard them talking about San Fransico's aging pitching staff. Seems they will get rid of a couple which of course is good news for Stratton. I think he will be in SF by August of 2014. A big clue to that would be the upcoming Arizona Fall League. This goes for Renfroe too. Usually if you are playing in AFL, then that is a good sign of your progression.

msstate7
08-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Big Chris Stratton fan, but isn't he somewhat a disappointment? Gausman has been up and down for the orioles. Wood is pitching very well for the braves. Stratton is in A ball

smootness
08-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Big Chris Stratton fan, but isn't he somewhat a disappointment? Gausman has been up and down for the orioles. Wood is pitching very well for the braves. Stratton is in A ball

He can in no way be considered a disappointment at this point. He's 22 in A, so he isn't yet 'old' for his level even still. And while he hasn't dominated like Wood did right out of the gate (which wasn't expected), his numbers are ok.

This year, he has a FIP of 2.89 with a K rate of 8.78 and a BB rate of 3.08. Those are pretty good numbers, and he's doing it while his BABIP against is .331, which is high and should come down. The Giants could have at least promoted him to AA already, but they seem to be allowing him to take his time.

Like I said, Wood dominated, yes...but that was unexpected. Gausman hasn't been all that good, the Orioles have just aggressively promoted him for whatever reason. Barely pitched at all at A ball, was ok at the beginning of the year in AA, then was not great in AAA and has been terrible in MLB. Why they promoted him so aggressively, I have no idea, but the Giants could have done a similar thing with Stratton, and he'd probably be having similar success at the MLB level.

HereComesTheSpiral
08-20-2013, 02:14 PM

He basically lost last year because he took a piss rocket to the face.