PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Shrimp

fccee1
05-27-2016, 08:36 AM
What am I doing wrong? Mine either are mushy or won't peel.

the59dawg
05-27-2016, 08:43 AM
Cool 'em off before trying to peel. Dunk 'em in ice water for a while, then peel + they won't be mushy. I guess you could be cooking them too long to account for mushy.

Duckdawg
05-27-2016, 08:47 AM
What am I doing wrong? Mine either are mushy or won't peel.

If they're mushy, they're probably undercooked I think. As far as the hard to peel part, I've had that happen from time to time, I started throwing a stick of butter in with them and haven't had that problem recently. It seems to me that shrimp cook different, peel different, etc depending on what time of year it is and where they're caught.

BrunswickDawg
05-27-2016, 02:18 PM
Soak soak soak. Used to have the same problem until I shifted from boiling to soaking. I'll get the pot to a boil, cook potatoes/onions/corn/sausage etc. After you dump the shrimp in, turn the heat off and let it soak for 10-15 minutes or so. Shrimp stays firm, soaks up the seasoning, and the shells slide right off.

fccee1
05-27-2016, 04:06 PM
Thanks guys

SpeckleDawg
05-27-2016, 06:31 PM
2 things: Fresh shrimp and frozen bottles. Shrimp that has been frozen is more likely to be tough to peel. What I like to do is boil the shrimp for a very short time (<1 min) then drop in frozen water bottles (or jugs if doing a big boil). This won't water down your spice like loose ice will. It also cools the water quickly and allows you to soak and not over cook. I boil shrimp at least once a week during the season and never have mushy or tough to peel. Good luck.

patdyeisstilldrunk
06-06-2016, 04:21 PM
You cooking dem shrimps too long, you!

Johnson85
06-06-2016, 05:08 PM
You cooking dem shrimps too long, you!

This for the mushiness. For the not peeling, I've had that issue randomly and not known what causes it. It's not just being frozen, as I've had frozen shrimp that is easy to peel. I assumed maybe it was the different types of shrimp (in Mississippi, you can get either brown, white, or pink) but I really have no clue. Don't boil it often enough to figure it out.

SaintDawg
06-08-2016, 04:12 PM
I use meat tenderizer. Use it with crawfish, too. Shells slide right off.