PDA

View Full Version : Mental mistakes

starkvegasdawg
05-27-2016, 07:04 AM
I just went back and looked and we have committed the second most errors in the tournament of the teams still in the tournament. And that is slightly misleading because LSU has committed the most but played an extra game. Here is how it breaks down:

LSU - 6 (3 games)
MSU - 5
A&M - 4
UF - 4
TSUN - 3 (3 games)
Vandy - 0

Not sure how many unearned runs those have led to, but we have got to do a better job taking care of the baseball if we expect to have a long postseason run. Every team we face from here on out is a good/elite team. We can't be giving them extra outs to play with.

CadaverDawg
05-27-2016, 07:29 AM
I agree. It seems like every single time we lose, it's a game where we commit errors that lead directly to runs, and walk people that lead directly to runs. We're going to be playing in big parks the rest of the way (Hoover, Dudy Noble, TD Ameritrade), so we need to not fear the "mistake pitch" quite as much, throw strikes and play great D if we want to make a run.

And whoever is positioning our infield, needs to stop over thinking. Tell Gridley and Stovall to back up so they can get to more balls, and quit shading them so far to one side or the other. Far too many seeing eye singles that we're creating due to stupid infield positioning.

mparkerfd20
05-27-2016, 08:42 AM
I agree. It seems like every single time we lose, it's a game where we commit errors that lead directly to runs, and walk people that lead directly to runs. We're going to be playing in big parks the rest of the way (Hoover, Dudy Noble, TD Ameritrade), so we need to not fear the "mistake pitch" quite as much, throw strikes and play great D if we want to make a run.

And whoever is positioning our infield, needs to stop over thinking. Tell Gridley and Stovall to back up so they can get to more balls, and quit shading them so far to one side or the other. Far too many seeing eye singles that we're creating due to stupid infield positioning.

As to your last paragraph that won't ever happen. It's part of Cohening.

the59dawg
05-27-2016, 08:53 AM
Heck where is SC? They had 5 errors in the OM game. And we had two errors that were not counted last nite; one at second (thru his legs) and one by Hudson he could not pick up. All 6 LSU runs were unearned. So we should have 6 or 7 errors for 2 games played. Pitiful.

starkvegasdawg
05-27-2016, 09:04 AM
Heck where is SC? They had 5 errors in the OM game. And we had two errors that were not counted last nite; one at second (thru his legs) and one by Hudson he could not pick up. All 6 LSU runs were unearned. So we should have 6 or 7 errors for 2 games played. Pitiful.

I didn't include SC as they have already been eliminated from the tournament. And one other correction. Vandy has made two errors. I missed the two they had in the TSUN game.

But you are right in the plays that were not called errors that easily could have been. We appear to not be a very good fielding team. That's why I can't get optimistic about a long post season run. I think we are a very good team but I am not convinced on us being an elite team. We have the talent to go to Omaha and maybe win the whole thing, but we have got to cut down the fielding errors. When we give truly elite teams 4 and 5 outs an inning they will make you pay and they also have the pitching to keep you from overcoming those mistakes with the bat.

shoeless joe
05-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Get em outta the way now. It was definitely some mental hiccups and poor execution that hurt us last nite. Those things are going to happen, I'm glad they're happening in a tourney that is meaningless versus the one that matters starting next week. I was afraid we were going to go into the regional on a long winning streak which I felt would spell disaster. Mistakes now means an opportunity to come back down to earth and get things cleaned up.