PDA

View Full Version : ANYONE wanna have a 'last year' is important discussion?

gravedigger
05-25-2016, 08:31 PM
Because Ive been around sports all my life. Played, coached, son of a coach, you name it.

Fact is, that there isn't one decent coach I've ever known that thinks its relevant. None, ever, nada.

So, for the folks that have heard you bitch and whine about the 'meddler' and the complete and utter dumbasses that said Cohen had to coach well to keep his job,

no mora excuses. get some understanding of the game of baseball, or just shut the 17 up.

STATEBALLIN
05-25-2016, 08:33 PM
Is this necessary?

JohnnyQuid
05-25-2016, 08:37 PM
let's enjoy this year - we've all said stuff outta frustration. we're all state fans and this is an awesome team .. past is the past lets enjoy the present. don't need one of these threads after big game!

DawgPoundtheRock
05-25-2016, 08:54 PM
No

missouridawg
05-25-2016, 09:05 PM
You're probably gonna get banned.... For being right.

Coach34
05-25-2016, 09:18 PM
You're probably gonna get banned.... For being right.

Whats he "right" about?

No Mora Excuses means "no excuses- get the job done"....John did that this year. He didnt make excuses and got the job done. Its a credit to him. Well done.

It still doesnt change the fact that we were ******* awful last year and finished last in the SEC. Cohen finished last in the SEC 3 times in 7 seasons. Thats pretty ****ing terrible when coaching at Miss State. Dudy Noble who coached from 1920-1943 is the last coach that had more than 3 losing seasons in his tenure. State has been good at baseball for 100 years

SEC Champs in 2016 doesnt erase shitty seasons. One could make the case we didnt win the SEC until we hired Wes Johnson.

Duckdog
05-25-2016, 09:18 PM
I'm drinking a shitload tonight too, grave

HSVDawg
05-25-2016, 09:23 PM
One could make the case we didnt win the SEC until we hired Wes Johnson.

You could also make the argument that we didn't win the SEC until we had 6 of the top 30 batting averages in the SEC over the course of the entire season. Wait, who's our hitting coach again?

Coach34
05-25-2016, 09:26 PM
You could also make the argument that we didn't win the SEC until we had 6 of the top 30 batting averages in the SEC over the course of the entire season. Wait, who's our hitting coach again?

The same guy that was the coach the 1st 7 seasons it didnt happen. Les Miles has a really good offense once every 8 years too

BeardoMSU
05-25-2016, 09:31 PM
No Mora Excuses means "no excuses- get the job done"....John did that this year.

Does that mean he also has to "get the job done" next year, or he's in trouble again?

confucius say
05-25-2016, 09:44 PM
The same guy that was the coach the 1st 7 seasons it didnt happen. Les Miles has a really good offense once every 8 years too

Offense wasn't our problem his first two years when we sucked. Pitching was garbage.

confucius say
05-25-2016, 09:48 PM
Whats he "right" about?

No Mora Excuses means "no excuses- get the job done"....John did that this year. He didnt make excuses and got the job done. Its a credit to him. Well done.

It still doesnt change the fact that we were ******* awful last year and finished last in the SEC. Cohen finished last in the SEC 3 times in 7 seasons. Thats pretty ****ing terrible when coaching at Miss State. Dudy Noble who coached from 1920-1943 is the last coach that had more than 3 losing seasons in his tenure. State has been good at baseball for 100 years

SEC Champs in 2016 doesnt erase shitty seasons. One could make the case we didnt win the SEC until we hired Wes Johnson.

Sigh. You keep holding 2009 and 2010 against him. No coach in America was winning with those rosters. Last year was fully on him, no doubt.
And you lose all credibility here bc you have told me repeatedly, as late as last week, that you wanted Cohen fired. That's insane. If you no longer want him fired, please correct me.

shoeless joe
05-25-2016, 09:54 PM
Does that mean he also has to "get the job done" next year, or he's in trouble again?

In 34's mind, yes.

He doesn't want Cohen to be the coach at state. For whatever reason he has a problem with someone that coach's and approaches baseball the way it was meant to be done. Despite his curious calls at times, Cohen is the epitome of a "baseball guy". And I'm damn glad he ours.

Tbonewannabe
05-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Offense wasn't our problem his first two years when we sucked. Pitching was garbage.

Comparing garbage to those pitching staffs is an insult to garbage. Cohen had to finish a SEC game with the right fielder who hadn't pitched in 4 years. That is how bad that staff was.

Tbonewannabe
05-25-2016, 09:58 PM
Cohen at times tries to do too much but it is more from wanting to win so bad. Last year was a perfect storm of shit with our team. Key injuries combined with a team completely built to take advantage of the dead ball.

gravedigger
05-25-2016, 10:00 PM
Whats he "right" about?

No excuses meant there werent any to make. He built a team able to get to the championship series and the game changed and he has damn near done it again.

We were f ing aweful last year because we sold out to be good enough to make the finals 2 years ago. Man, you need to drop the message board "i want it all and i want it yesterday" mentality when it comes to sport. No sport works that way except for basketball sometimes.

Btw wes johnson dunked a perfect allyoop. When our new stadium is built, he'll have his challenge. Balls will jump out.

And you are damned right success in 2016 erases previous seasons. They dont exist but for people to justify extinct positions. Libe there if you will.

There is an enourmous group that lives in 1959-1963 too for one reason.

Its convenient.

Commercecomet24
05-25-2016, 10:00 PM
Cohen ain't going anywhere and he's gonna win a ton of games here before its all said and done! Glad he's ours!

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 10:05 PM
Hahaha

I love my MSU brothers.

War Machine Dawg
05-25-2016, 10:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/cP64a0C.gif
http://i.imgur.com/E2j56iD.gif

Coach34
05-25-2016, 10:14 PM

not at all. His job wont be at risk again until he has another losing record

BeardoMSU
05-25-2016, 10:14 PM
I'm so glad Cohen skirted by this year and saved his job. Damn! If only he hadn't ****ed up those early season games....Just imagine, if he gets us back to Omaha, maybe they'll extend his contract a year. But that may be a bad thing, since that'll be one more year of bunting and potential conference championships**

cheewgumm
05-25-2016, 10:16 PM
Why is this even an argument?

We were bad last year, we're good this year.

Is that ok to say?

Coach34
05-25-2016, 10:20 PM
No excuses meant there werent any to make. He built a team able to get to the championship series and the game changed and he has damn near done it again.

We were f ing aweful last year because we sold out to be good enough to make the finals 2 years ago. Man, you need to drop the message board "i want it all and i want it yesterday" mentality when it comes to sport. No sport works that way except for basketball sometimes.

Btw wes johnson dunked a perfect allyoop. When our new stadium is built, he'll have his challenge. Balls will jump out.

And you are damned right success in 2016 erases previous seasons. They dont exist but for people to justify extinct positions. Libe there if you will.

There is an enourmous group that lives in 1959-1963 too for one reason.

Its convenient.

Larry- you are a good dude and I enjoy talking to you in person. Dont call me out on the board again on bullshit.

Cohen answered the bell like a Boss and deserves the accolades. It doesnt erase 3 losing seasons in 7 years at Miss State. He saved his job- of which my opinion on it had zero to do with. State people expect a top half program- as long as he stays there for the most part he is golden. He finished LAST in the SEC last year and well deserved the criticism he got- just like he deserves the accolades he is getting now.

Let's get to Omaha

Coach34
05-25-2016, 10:21 PM

Is that ok to say?

exactly Dan-o....not sure why its a big deal

Commercecomet24
05-25-2016, 10:22 PM

Is that ok to say?

Naw that makes too much sense***

Coach34
05-25-2016, 10:23 PM
I'm so glad Cohen skirted by this year and saved his job. Damn! If only he hadn't ****ed up those early season games....Just imagine, if he gets us back to Omaha, maybe they'll extend his contract a year. But that may be a bad thing, since that'll be one more year of bunting and potential conference championships**

Hey dickhead- Mullen went 9-4 and didnt get his contract extended. Mayyyyyybeeeeee you want ease up on the smartass bullshit

preachermatt83
05-25-2016, 10:32 PM
If you idiots think that Cohen would have kept his job had we had missed the tourney this yr then u don't know squat.

shoeless joe
05-25-2016, 10:35 PM
exactly Dan-o....not sure why its a big deal

Stating that is just stating facts.

Stating that the only reason we are a good team is because of the new pitching coach is stupid and is an attempt to downplay cohen's coaching ability. Of course Wes is a huge reason for our success but no more than cohen's coaching ability. Also, comparing cohen's coaching skill on offense to that Of miles on offense again is stupid.

Your opinion is your opinion and that is fine, but your opinion on Cohen as a coach is wrong. Not sure why you feel that way or who told you to feel that way.

shoeless joe
05-25-2016, 10:37 PM
If you idiots think that Cohen would have kept his job had we had missed the tourney this yr then u don't know squat.

I know folks would have been chomping at the bit to get him outta here and then go ask Polk who we should hire. The issue is that some folks really thought we would have another bad year...and we're hoping for it. Most baseball people actually understood where we were and where we were headed.

BeardoMSU
05-25-2016, 10:39 PM
I know folks would have been chomping at the bit to get him outta here and then go ask Polk who we should hire. The issue is that some folks really thought we would have another bad year...and we're hoping for it. Most baseball people actually understood where we were and where we were headed.

^^This.

HSVDawg
05-25-2016, 10:42 PM

First off, we had damn good offense in 2009, 2010, and 2013 as well so its not a once every 8 years thing. But anyway, that wasn't even the point. You said that you could make an argument that we didn't win the SEC until we hired Wes Johnson. That's a ridiculous argument given that the only year he's been here we had 6 of the league's top 30 hitters and one of the top run scoring offenses in the SEC. No way you can say that the pitching coach is the catalyst when we make that big of a leap offensively. Now I like what I've seen out of Wes and he's definitely improved our staff (and made better in game decisions) as the season has gone along. But this is a .500 team at best in conference play with this year's pitching staff and last year's offensive output. That isn't even remotely debateable.

Coach34
05-25-2016, 10:45 PM
Stating that is just stating facts.

Stating that the only reason we are a good team is because of the new pitching coach is stupid and is an attempt to downplay cohen's coaching ability. Of course Wes is a huge reason for our success but no more than cohen's coaching ability. Also, comparing cohen's coaching skill on offense to that Of miles on offense again is stupid.

Your opinion is your opinion and that is fine, but your opinion on Cohen as a coach is wrong. Not sure why you feel that way or who told you to feel that way.

Apprently you are new to MB's...After years of being told that the only reason Richard Williams had success was because of Stands- its fun to poke fans that the only reason Cohen is having success is because of Butch and Mini-Me. State fans with their reasoning and all....

Cohen is no genius and he does overcoach. He absolutely makes some good calls as well. He recruits well as we have seen this year. Wes has done a great job with this staff and is a definite upgrade over Butch.

Bottom line- Cohen's job was on the line this season. Thats a fact. He answered the bell like a Boss. I'm ecstatic about this season. No Mora Excuses- and he didnt make none. Let's get to Omaha

Coach34
05-25-2016, 10:52 PM
First off, we had damn good offense in 2009, 2010, and 2013 as well so its not a once every 8 years thing. But anyway, that wasn't even the point.

2013 our CWS year- we were 73rd in the Country in Scoring but 15th in the Country in ERA. Pitching got us to the Finals...we didnt score shit vs UCLA with the title on the line

Intramural All-American
05-25-2016, 10:54 PM
Hey dickhead- Mullen went 9-4 and didnt get his contract extended. Mayyyyyybeeeeee you want ease up on the smartass bullshit

You're the douchebag that brought up Cohen's season last year, minutes after we won the SEC overall title this year. Bitter much? You still are a fool who wants him fired. Or else you have to admit you were wrong. Can't have it both ways. You're the one who is bringing up the BS. When people call out your agenda-laden schtick, you do nothing but attack back. You're like a wounded animal. You know you are weak, so you try to attack.

Coach34
05-25-2016, 10:56 PM
2012:

We were 239th in the NCAA in Scoring- and 2nd in the Country in ERA. Remind me again who the hitting coach is people????

Intramural All-American
05-25-2016, 10:58 PM
2012:

We were 239th in the NCAA in Scoring- and 2nd in the Country in ERA. Remind me again who the hitting coach is people????

Still going back in the past to make your point when the present is punching you in the face. You're such a tool.. geez.

Coach34
05-25-2016, 11:00 PM
2014:

We were 154th in scoring and 33rd in the Country in ERA- do I really need to keep going at this point????

Coach34
05-25-2016, 11:00 PM
Still going back in the past to make your point when the present is punching you in the face. You're such a tool.. geez.

I'm sorry the facts hurt your feelings sweetie. Life is not based on 1 season

HSVDawg
05-25-2016, 11:01 PM
2013 our CWS year- we were 73rd in the Country in Scoring but 15th in the Country in ERA. Pitching got us to the Finals...we didnt score shit vs UCLA with the title on the line

73rd out of 300 teams is still in the top 25% of offenses nationally. That's a good offfense. Nobody disputes that pitching got us to the finals that year, but clutch hitting was a big part also.

Coach34
05-25-2016, 11:13 PM
2015:

157 in scoring
152 in ERA

Lots of valid questions about our offense over the years- when the pitching let us down finally? Losing season. This shit aint hard to see

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 11:16 PM
https://i2.wp.com/gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Are-You-Not-Entertained-Gladiator.gif

BeardoMSU
05-25-2016, 11:18 PM
https://i2.wp.com/gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Are-You-Not-Entertained-Gladiator.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/AxVvjH0ncwhefNgG6Q/giphy.gif****

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 11:24 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/AxVvjH0ncwhefNgG6Q/giphy.gif****

http://media3.giphy.com/media/FX3OLJAUhOZNK/giphy.gif

BulldogBear
05-26-2016, 12:18 AM
After midnight, this thread still going...Gorammit, let's just win the whole shiny thing and argue all the way to goram football season. Hail State!

BeardoMSU
05-26-2016, 12:22 AM
http://media3.giphy.com/media/FX3OLJAUhOZNK/giphy.gif

Live to see another day, I guess....

Liverpooldawg
05-26-2016, 08:44 AM
Apprently you are new to MB's...After years of being told that the only reason Richard Williams had success was because of Stands- its fun to poke fans that the only reason Cohen is having success is because of Butch and Mini-Me. State fans with their reasoning and all....

Cohen is no genius and he does overcoach. He absolutely makes some good calls as well. He recruits well as we have seen this year. Wes has done a great job with this staff and is a definite upgrade over Butch.

Bottom line- Cohen's job was on the line this season. Thats a fact. He answered the bell like a Boss. I'm ecstatic about this season. No Mora Excuses- and he didnt make none. Let's get to Omaha

I'm not a baseball guy so I really don't have a dog in this hunt but Cohen has won everywhere he has been. What he did at Kentucky was amazing. He has also taken us farther than we have ever been. MSU people act like we are some sort of perpetual top national power in baseball. We aren't and never have been. We have phenomenal fan support but we have been a perpetual decent team that makes a good run in the postseason every now and then. We also flop every now and then. There are signs that may be about to change.

Coach, you at least had a decent argument on Stans even if I disagreed with you for the most part. This time I'd give it a rest if I were you. Just some friendly advice that I'm sure you will ignore. I probably would too if the roles were reversed. It would help if the other side would give it a rest too. That's all I'll ever say about this stuff. I'm just going to enjoy the ride. It's funny how much I enjoy these rides in baseball when they happen. I guess it's because I don't live and breathe it like I do football and basketball.