PDA

View Full Version : When you hire the best pitching coach in America

ShotgunDawg
05-25-2016, 07:59 PM
Your staff gets better as the year progresses.

Great job Coach J and great job by Cohen listening and hiring the right guy.

I seen it dawg
05-25-2016, 08:19 PM
What Houston did tonite was all Wes Johnson. That is how you take a project and make results out of it. Outstanding work he did to get Houston to be able to do what he did tonite. Kid took what Johnson gave him and obviously worked. Beautiful to see for a pitching guy like myself.

bobcat91
05-25-2016, 08:25 PM
If he can do this in the regional we are very dangerous.

Coach34
05-25-2016, 08:29 PM
Wes is fixing the head cases Butch never could

Houston is starting to put things together finally. His breaking ball still has a long way to go- but he is doing more of the little things better.

JohnnyQuid
05-25-2016, 08:31 PM
I liked butch ok but I couldn't be happier with him leaving and the guy who took his place. butch got a little caught up in every thing having to be down in the zone - and to me that led to alot of walks and passed balls/wild pitches. think I heard wes say he just let's guys pitch to their strengths - I like it.

Offshore Dawg
05-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Can you imagine how next years staff will pitch after Wes has a full year to work with them.

Duckdog
05-25-2016, 09:16 PM
I just hope we can keep him around. Time to pay up boys

confucius say
05-25-2016, 09:50 PM
Wes is fixing the head cases Butch never could

Houston is starting to put things together finally. His breaking ball still has a long way to go- but he is doing more of the little things better.

Agree. And Houston made himself some money tonight.

Eta: I also found it funny that with all the talk of Houston being a head case, he is a psychology major. Ha

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-25-2016, 09:53 PM

If there is a sport that we should never lose a coach in due to money, it's baseball.

War Machine Dawg
05-25-2016, 10:04 PM
If there is a sport that we should never lose a coach in due to money, it's baseball.

No kidding. Cohen ain't going anywhere. And if he did, it damn sure wouldn't be because of money. Isn't he the highest paid coach in the nation right now? Seems like I saw someone here saying that.

preachermatt83
05-25-2016, 10:16 PM
What Houston did tonite was all Wes Johnson. That is how you take a project and make results out of it. Outstanding work he did to get Houston to be able to do what he did tonite. Kid took what Johnson gave him and obviously worked. Beautiful to see for a pitching guy like myself.

^^^This!

preachermatt83
05-25-2016, 10:17 PM
No kidding. Cohen ain't going anywhere. And if he did, it damn sure wouldn't be because of money. Isn't he the highest paid coach in the nation right now? Seems like I saw someone here saying that.

Think Duckdog was talking about paying Wes.

Dawg61
05-25-2016, 10:28 PM
Think we're talking about Johnson getting paid here

Coach34
05-25-2016, 10:33 PM
Eta: I also found it funny that with all the talk of Houston being a head case, he is a psychology major. Ha

As someone that has procreated with 2 psychology majors- they are the biggest headcases out there.

TaleofTwoDogs
05-25-2016, 10:39 PM

Not sure, but I think Mainieri is the top paid baseball coach with Cohen a close second.

BayouDawg
05-25-2016, 10:41 PM

As of 2013 he was the second highest paid in the SEC behind manurey. I have no idea what his salary is now.

BeardoMSU
05-25-2016, 10:42 PM
As someone that has procreated with 2 psychology majors- they are the biggest headcases out there.

Aren't all women headcases, though, lol?

smootness
05-25-2016, 10:43 PM
Your staff gets better as the year progresses.

Great job Coach J and great job by Cohen listening and hiring the right guy.

Listening to whom?

And as for the rest of the thread, 'head case' is what people use when they know a guy is struggling but really have no way to explain why.

Homedawg
05-25-2016, 10:49 PM

Not knocking Johnson, I think he's fine. We will see on recruiting trail. But it funny how you people just throw butch under the bus, it's not like he wasn't successful. Hell it took a season for Houston to have a great start under johnson. But lots of you turn this into like a recruit we didn't get. Because we didn't get him, we didn't want him or he sucks. Fact is, we wouldn't be where we are without butch. That's a fact.

BayouDawg
05-25-2016, 10:55 PM
Not knocking Johnson, I think he's fine. We will see on recruiting trail. But it funny how you people just throw butch under the bus, it's not like he wasn't successful. Hell it took a season for Houston to have a great start under johnson. But lots of you turn this into like a recruit we didn't get. Because we didn't get him, we didn't want him or he sucks. Fact is, we wouldn't be where we are without butch. That's a fact.

I liked Butch. He was great at developing a bull pen. My one real complaint about Butch was that we never seemed to have more than one good starter. I think 2012 was the only year we had 2 good starters with Stratton and Graveman. Butch did a great job with the pen though. We nearly won the natty in '13 with one true starter because our bullpen was ridiculous.

Duckdog
05-25-2016, 10:57 PM
Think Duckdog was talking about paying Wes.

Yep, Cohen isn't going anywhere. We need to pony up for Wes to stay

Dallas_Dawg
05-25-2016, 10:57 PM
I

I was getting ready to say something very similar.
I guess that they have to find out scientifically why they are so crazy

Homedawg
05-25-2016, 11:01 PM
I liked Butch. He was great at developing a bull pen. My one real complaint about Butch was that we never seemed to have more than one good starter. I think 2012 was the only year we had 2 good starters with Stratton and Graveman. Butch did a great job with the pen though. We nearly won the natty in '13 with one true starter because our bullpen was ridiculous.

Hard to argue w that. But if he were here now, he would have 2 good starters. Johnson didn't make these guys who they are by himself.

BayouDawg
05-25-2016, 11:05 PM
Hard to argue w that. But if he were here now, he would have 2 good starters. Johnson didn't make these guys who they are by himself.
I agree. I always thought Butch was a good coach and recruiter. I thing Wes will do a great job here too

confucius say
05-25-2016, 11:36 PM

Oh I agree. And I've been one, maybe the first one, to say he was a head case. I was just pointing out the irony.

Coach34
05-25-2016, 11:40 PM

But considering their performance until Opening Day this year- you cant say they would have been this good under Butch. Maybeeeee, but no guarantees

ShotgunDawg
05-26-2016, 12:07 AM
But considering their performance until Opening Day this year- you cant say they would have been this good under Butch. Maybeeeee, but no guarantees

This

I give Butch all the credit in the world for getting talented guys on campus, but the truth is that Wes has taken them to another level in both health and performance. Combine that with him developing Hump as a closer and Pilkington as a 3rd starter, and it's very clear he's done a knock out job.

BulldogBear
05-26-2016, 12:30 AM
As of 2013 he was the second highest paid in the SEC behind manurey. I have no idea what his salary is now.

Bravo! If I knew how to GiF I'd do one of him during a game with us bounding out of the dugout like a Tigger and jumping up and down by the Umpire like a toddler having a tantrum.

BayouDawg
05-26-2016, 12:40 AM
Bravo! If I knew how to GiF I'd do one of him during a game with us bounding out of the dugout like a Tigger and jumping up and down by the Umpire like a toddler having a tantrum.

Lol I was waiting to see if anyone would get that. He's literally the worst kind of human being

I seen it dawg
05-26-2016, 05:45 AM
Sorry but Wes > Butch. Butch is a great guy, helluva coach, I worked camps with him when he was a high school assistant. For my money I take Wes.

mparkerfd20
05-26-2016, 07:48 AM
If he wants, Wes Johnson will be a HC somewhere soon. Enjoy him while we have him. I will be happy to have him 2-3 more years.

Dawgbite
05-26-2016, 07:53 AM
Aren't all women headcases, though, lol?

He never mentioned a woman. It's a brave new world out there. *****

Sorry Coach, I couldn't resist.

Bodawg
05-26-2016, 10:37 AM
Sorry but Wes > Butch. Butch is a great guy, helluva coach, I worked camps with him when he was a high school assistant. For my money I take Wes.

^^This^^. Look what Wes did at Dallas Baptist. Constantly put pitchers into MLB from a tiny Baptist college. I read where he has been working with Houston on some of his mechanics and wanted to get him into a game. Looks like it worked pretty good.

KB21
05-26-2016, 11:00 AM
The biggest difference between Butch and Wes is in their approach with power pitchers. Both are great pitching coaches. You'd have a hard time finding anyone else that is as good as either of them. Butch tried to get his power guys to take a little off their throws to improve their command while Wes wants them to use that power fastball to blow folks out of the batter's box.

TimberBeast
05-26-2016, 11:26 AM

Yep, I've known a few and they were all not right in the head. Sociology majors are right behind them.

DancingRabbit
05-26-2016, 11:35 AM

It never gets old
http://i.giphy.com/OjMUUjo0aHakU.gif

BulldogBear
05-26-2016, 12:42 PM
It never gets old
http://i.giphy.com/OjMUUjo0aHakU.gif

Like a goblin doing a jig!!!

AusTexDawg
05-26-2016, 12:55 PM
Like a goblin doing a jig!!!

The gif is great, but your caption is phenomenal.

BB30
05-26-2016, 03:06 PM
Pitchers are fickle by nature ha this is coming from a pitcher. I think both coaches generally have done a great job. I prefer Wes's approach of saying hey you have a mid 90's FB live with it. I don't care if you throw 95 or 85 everything works off your FB. Our pitchers, while having a scouting report are still pitching off of their strengths instead of trying to pitch to a hitters weakness. This instills confidence in guys. Some guys never have problems filling up the zone and some do. I think for those guys that have great stuff but struggle to fill the zone up it helps if you have a coach that says hey go blow the ball by them, don't worry about picking corners throwing first pitch BBs just because the kid can't hit a BB. If you can't throw it for a strike it does you no good. I also like how this year we are not wasting many 0-2 pitches. We are coming right after guys. That was preached to us in minor league ball and you don't see it coached all that often. I have been very impressed with what Wes has done. Naturally some of these kids have developed with the extra work load and reps but he has definitely been a huge help with some.