PDA

View Full Version : For the baseball experts.

Percho
05-25-2016, 03:48 PM
Let's say you are facing a pitcher who throws 93-96. Where do you stand in the batters box?

Which is more important the amount of time of where the pitch might be in the elevation of the strike zone?

Why not get in the front of the box because of elevation of the fast ball and which would help to take away the corners plus help with the elevation of the off speed pitch?

Would the time gained in the back of the box outweigh those other factors?

confucius say
05-25-2016, 04:14 PM
What's the count? Does he have off speed stuff or just a power slider to compliment the fastball? All things equal, towards the back. Spread out, hands in slot and get on top of plate in my two strike approach or with runner on third and less than two outs

Brando
05-25-2016, 04:18 PM
What's the count? Does he have off speed stuff or just a power slider to compliment the fastball? All things equal, towards the back. Spread out, hands in slot and get on top of plate in my two strike approach or with runner on third and less than two outs

All of this is a great answer, but at the end of it all it comes down to where the hitter feels comfortable standing. Whether it actually helps or not, it all depends on if the hitter feels comfortable doing it.

BB30
05-25-2016, 04:21 PM
I think for the most part it really depends on where the hitter is comfortable. Through all of my playing, although I was a pitcher, our hitters were always coached on getting comfortable. The only adjustment our coaches would make would be on a guy without a good FB to get on the plate and take away the corner because he generally couldn't beat you in with the FB. A lot of coaches have different philosophies, but I would say most of the time unless there are two strikes just get where you are comfortable.

Right on BRANDO, was typing when you posted.

confucius say
05-25-2016, 04:24 PM
All of this is a great answer, but at the end of it all it comes down to where the hitter feels comfortable standing. Whether it actually helps or not, it all depends on if the hitter feels comfortable doing it.

I agree with that too. Everybody is different.

Really Clark?
05-25-2016, 04:43 PM
I agree on the comfort level as well. But the best in the world, who see that speed daily, stand back in the box. Now some may be up more than others but nobody who is looking to drive that pitch, or I can't think of anyone off hand who does it consistently, is standing what would be considered in the front of the box with your back leg even with the plate. If anything you see more guys cheat back even further during a game once the lines have been erased. Maybe a speedy slapper like Dee Gordon or Ichiro at times will hit with the plate in the middle of his stance.