PDA

View Full Version : Horatio just told Bonner that Malik might transfer... ??

fishwater99
05-25-2016, 02:14 PM
The return to college may not mean a second season at Mississippi State, though, for Newman. A source told the Clarion-Ledger, Newman could potentially seek to transfer. When asked about the possibility, Newman's father, Horatio Webster confirmed the shooting guard is still enrolled at Mississippi State.

"We've talked a couple people on staff. We have not spoken with Ben (Howland)," Webster told The Clarion-Ledger. "I mean we don't know if Ben's got the same vision that we have. We don't know if we have the same vision that Ben has. There's going to have to be some talking going on. Once we meet and talk, a decision will be made. But right now he's at Mississippi State."

This comes after he told 24/7 and Scout that he is coming back to MSU...

What is going on here?

War Machine Dawg
05-25-2016, 02:16 PM
What's going on here is Big Train and Malik apparently want it to be the Malik Show if he comes back. If that's what they want - hit the bricks. Only our alumni and legacies could **** this stuff up and ruin relationships so badly. Have some damn loyalty.

C222
05-25-2016, 02:19 PM
We should trade him to Kentucky for Marcus Lee.

starkvegasdawg
05-25-2016, 02:19 PM
I'm fast approaching the point I don't care if he comes back or not and starting to lean towards not. You would think the NBA combine would have checked that ego just a notch but evidently not.

MarketingBully
05-25-2016, 02:20 PM
What's going on here is Big Train and Malik apparently want it to be the Malik Show if he comes back. If that's what they want - hit the bricks. Only our alumni and legacies could **** this stuff up and ruin relationships so badly. Have some damn loyalty.

The dumbest thing is if he has a great year we win. Howland wants to A) Win and B) Get his players to the NBA. Those two things benefit players playing in his system.

lefty96
05-25-2016, 02:22 PM
Adios!

Taog Redloh
05-25-2016, 02:32 PM

I hate agreeing with you but I'm with you here. For us to be such a poor school, we have entirely too many egos within the 'family'. A sizable portion of our fanbase only cares about how they benefit, rather than how MSU benefits.

Until that changes, I doubt we ever reach our potential at anything, unless we get lucky. Is it that damned hard to see the bigger purpose?

Percho
05-25-2016, 02:35 PM
The return to college may not mean a second season at Mississippi State, though, for Newman. A source told the Clarion-Ledger, Newman could potentially seek to transfer. When asked about the possibility, Newman's father, Horatio Webster confirmed the shooting guard is still enrolled at Mississippi State.

"We've talked a couple people on staff. We have not spoken with Ben (Howland)," Webster told The Clarion-Ledger. "I mean we don't know if Ben's got the same vision that we have. We don't know if we have the same vision that Ben has. There's going to have to be some talking going on. Once we meet and talk, a decision will be made. But right now he's at Mississippi State."

What is going on here?

If I were the coach he would transfer.

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-25-2016, 02:37 PM
If I were the coach he would transfer.

May be his dad doing this. Maybe Howland still wants to look out for the kid?

JoseBrown
05-25-2016, 02:43 PM
And to think I blamed his lack of playing with much passion or aggression last year on injuries. Guess I got that wrong. Move along..

Irondawg
05-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Everybody step away from the ledge. They just spents weeks talking to scouts, GM's, etc. I'm sure they have a "we need you to show us ________" list.

If you had that it's pretty smart to talk with the coach and make sure you think you can be in position to do that. I get that it sounds a little selfish, but let's be honest, they aren't worried about MSU's record or success much next year unless Malik is a big part of it. Otherwise he now has two subpar years of film and a sub-par combine and nobody is ever gonig to pay attention to him.

That's where they are at. I doubt they would risk another year by transferring within D1. And the NBA probably doesn't weigh dominating at a lower level very heavily.

So what's best for everyone is that he comes back and plays very well. If I had to guess the NBA told him that he needs to show them he's more than a spot up shooter and he needs to show he can score off the dribble. Right now he's simply not very good at that. So I'm sure they want to make sure he'll have the ball in his hands more. But with no real offensive post presence like Ware was and without chicken going 1 on 3 a lot of possesions i think it's automatic that he gets more chances to do that in the confines of the regular offense.

He and Q could be a dynamic G/SF combo if they play it right.

mparkerfd20
05-25-2016, 02:46 PM
Damn, no one listens to me. Oh well.

drunkernhelldawg
05-25-2016, 02:51 PM
Who knows. Let it go where it goes. We've got bigger fish to fry.

BayouDawg
05-25-2016, 02:54 PM
If Malik is gonna look for someone to blame every time he faces adversity he's not gonna make it very far in life. Whether that's in the NBA or at work somewhere.

smootness
05-25-2016, 02:57 PM
Damn, no one listens to me. Oh well.

I have to apologize to you and admit I was wrong. I can't believe they are actually thinking this way, but they apparently are. My bad.

starkvegasdawg
05-25-2016, 02:58 PM
If Malik is gonna look for someone to blame every time he faces adversity he's not gonna make it very far in life. Whether that's in the NBA or at work somewhere.

Sadly, that appears to be the common reaction with a lot of our youth today. No personal accountability.

I_Spy
05-25-2016, 02:59 PM
I don't see why we need Malik to check his ego when our stance is he must be more aggressive on both sides of the ball.
I still believe he can sink 3's all day long

BayouDawg
05-25-2016, 03:03 PM
Sadly, that appears to be the common reaction with a lot of our youth today. No personal accountability.

Very true. I'm 25 and my generation has no idea what personal accountability means. but this whole Malik thing is getting old.

Percho
05-25-2016, 03:07 PM
Everybody step away from the ledge. They just spents weeks talking to scouts, GM's, etc. I'm sure they have a "we need you to show us ________" list.

If you had that it's pretty smart to talk with the coach and make sure you think you can be in position to do that. I get that it sounds a little selfish, but let's be honest, they aren't worried about MSU's record or success much next year unless Malik is a big part of it. Otherwise he now has two subpar years of film and a sub-par combine and nobody is ever gonig to pay attention to him.

That's where they are at. I doubt they would risk another year by transferring within D1. And the NBA probably doesn't weigh dominating at a lower level very heavily.

So what's best for everyone is that he comes back and plays very well. If I had to guess the NBA told him that he needs to show them he's more than a spot up shooter and he needs to show he can score off the dribble. Right now he's simply not very good at that. So I'm sure they want to make sure he'll have the ball in his hands more. But with no real offensive post presence like Ware was and without chicken going 1 on 3 a lot of possesions i think it's automatic that he gets more chances to do that in the confines of the regular offense.

He and Q could be a dynamic G/SF combo if they play it right.

I do not have a problem with your post. Howland, "Let's make a deal. Malik spends the next two years helping make Mississippi State somebody in basketball and I will do my best to make him to become what he wants to be in those two years."

Bully13
05-25-2016, 03:13 PM
I guess we need to throw in the fact he never signed a LOI, correct?

smootness
05-25-2016, 03:18 PM
I guess we need to throw in the fact he never signed a LOI, correct?

No, has no bearing on anything once you enroll in school.

Saltydog
05-25-2016, 03:19 PM
nt

confucius say
05-25-2016, 03:20 PM
I have a feeling this is much more big train and much less Malik. I've never heard Malik say anything untoward or out of the way. If anything, he tries to fit in too much

smootness
nt

Doesn't matter, he has to sit out no matter what if he transfers to a D1 school or just about any JUCO.

MSUDawg99
I'm fast approaching the point I don't care if he comes back or not and starting to lean towards not. You would think the NBA combine would have checked that ego just a notch but evidently not.

His dad is the ego prob, not Malik

Ifyouonlyknew
05-25-2016, 03:33 PM
I have a feeling this is much more big train and much less Malik. I've never heard Malik say anything untoward or out of the way. If anything, he tries to fit in too much

Correct

Ifyouonlyknew
05-25-2016, 03:34 PM

Winner

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-25-2016, 03:36 PM

And you have to hate it for the kid.. always seems like the kids that have a parental as "visible" as Haratio always seem to have drama surrounding recruiting or something with playing time, style, etc...

Goldendawg
05-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Heck, I was the 6th man on my high school team my Senior year and scored 15, 14, and 9 points on 50% shooting three games in a row when a starter was sick. My late Dad and I always knew I was better than the coach knew. The starter got well, I went back to the bench and quit at Christmas. Sounds like Horatio is a "stage mom". Don't forget Malik has heard one and done since what, junior high. This has got to be tough for him. I know he was hurt, but an improved skill sets for SEC ball need to come b4 NBA. Maybe dad should be his coach, although it never worked for me.

tireddawg
05-25-2016, 03:53 PM
I have to apologize to you and admit I was wrong. I can't believe they are actually thinking this way, but they apparently are. My bad.

I really don't have a problem with Horatio thinking this way. I do have a problem with him telling everyone that'll listen & condradicting himself.

I want Malik to come back. I think his skill set could help us tremendously. I've gone on record as saying the injuries he had last year were hard to play through & overcome. I believe a fully committed & healthy Malik would shine, & possibly right into the 1st Rnd.

Even after this, if anyone says they don't want him back, you're either crazy or not being honest with yourself. Malik didn't say that himself.

I seen it dawg
05-25-2016, 04:02 PM
Hey horatio zip it up and let your boy play for a great coach. Jesus there are some idiots on this earth.

No BS Dawg
05-25-2016, 04:04 PM
For me, it all comes down to whether or not a player wants to be here regardless of who they are or how highly regarded they are. If he wants to be a Bulldog, my arms are open and will gladly take him back. If he doesn't want to be a Bulldog, good riddance and good luck.

Commercecomet24
05-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Sounds like Horatio doing a little sword rattling. Posturing and I hope he doesn't screw it up for Malik. Not really cool leaking all this to the media before talking to Howland

BayouDawg
05-25-2016, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE=tireddawg;560154]I really don't have a problem with Horatio thinking this way. I do have a problem with him telling everyone that'll listen & condradicting himself.

Yea I agree Horatio has a right to his opinion, but he needs to handle it like a grown man by talking to Ben Howland face to face. Spewing garbage to the media is just making him and our program look bad. He can have any opinion he wants to have about Howland but he needs to handle it like an adult in house.

fccee1
05-25-2016, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=tireddawg;560154]I really don't have a problem with Horatio thinking this way. I do have a problem with him telling everyone that'll listen & condradicting himself.

Yea I agree Horatio has a right to his opinion, but he needs to handle it like a grown man by talking to Ben Howland face to face. Spewing garbage to the media is just making him and our program look bad. He can have any opinion he wants to have about Howland but he needs to handle it like an adult in house.

NT

MadDawg
05-25-2016, 04:24 PM
Matt Wyatt (aka 'closet rebel' on this board) just tweeted that WKU might be a landing spot for Malik if he does transfer.

Homedawg
05-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Doesn't matter, he has to sit out no matter what if he transfers to a D1 school or just about any JUCO.

He doesn't have to sit to go to a juco.

fishwater99
05-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Matt Wyatt (aka 'closet rebel' on this board) just tweeted that WKU might be a landing spot for Malik if he does transfer.

Wow !!!

Goldendawg
05-25-2016, 04:34 PM
Isn't that where Stansbury is? Talk about irony.

BayouDawg
05-25-2016, 04:34 PM
that'd be a great decision** since dingleberry has put so many guards in the NBA compared to Howland

Johnson85
05-25-2016, 04:36 PM
I really don't have a problem with Horatio thinking this way. I do have a problem with him telling everyone that'll listen & condradicting himself.

He's definitely not doing anybody any favors, but I can give a pass to a parent who lets emotions get the better of them. He's essentially acting as his son's business manager and there is a reason you have professionals who are a little less emotionally tied up perform those duties (or at least you would if it weren't for the NCAA). That said, he's not going around and burning the place down around him; while not ideal, this is a very manageable situation and nothing that should do long term damage to anybody's relationship, provided people get more clear headed with time.

I want Malik to come back. I think his skill set could help us tremendously. I've gone on record as saying the injuries he had last year were hard to play through & overcome. I believe a fully committed & healthy Malik would shine, & possibly right into the 1st Rnd.

Even after this, if anyone says they don't want him back, you're either crazy or not being honest with yourself. Malik didn't say that himself. Not being honest with himself or a borderline idiot. Even if Malik himself were saying this, I'd still want him back, provided he got over his disappointment and let Howland know he was committed.

BeardoMSU
05-25-2016, 04:36 PM
that'd be a great decision** since dingleberry has put so many guards in the NBA compared to Howland

Well, he does have a track record of letting his "scoring guard" just go out there and wing it (e.g., Gary, Jamont, Dee).

BayouDawg
05-25-2016, 04:45 PM
Well, he does have a track record of letting his "scoring guard" just go out there and wing it (e.g., Gary, Jamont, Dee).

Yep. If that's the route he wants to take then I would advise him to work on his Italian

BeardoMSU
05-25-2016, 04:47 PM
Yep. If that's the route he wants to take then I would advise him to work on his Italian

Jamont had himself a nice career in Russia after his stint in Italy, so it may be easier if he just hired a multi-lingual interpreter full time.

BayouDawg
05-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Jamont had himself a nice career in Russia after his stint in Italy, so it may be easier if he just hired a multi-lingual interpreter full time.

Lol. The Israel league is decent and he wouldn't have to learn a second language

Bodaski
05-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Sounds like it is time for this marriage to file for divorce. It's obvious their concern is getting their way. They can like the Lone Ranger and HI Ho silver as far as I'm concerned. Screw that crap. You do that, then you lose the respect of every player on the team. We should be the one and done and tell them to look for another option.

farmdawg1
05-25-2016, 05:05 PM
He has a zero % chance of playing PG in the NBA and unless he drastically improves his game in several areas he won't play SG in the league either. Great talent but he has a long way to go to be NBA ready...totally different game.

mparkerfd20
05-25-2016, 05:13 PM
Horatio needs to stop trying to live through his kid and let the boy play! I'm not on board with the Big Train.

dawgoneyall
05-25-2016, 05:19 PM

I thnk everyone would be better off if he does leave.

Apoplectic
05-25-2016, 05:23 PM

What is going on here?

Horatio - Rick is not at MSU any longer. Take ur 6th man and transfer his ass out. This is a team sport.

Commercecomet24
05-25-2016, 05:38 PM
I really want him to come back but as a team player. I'm betting Howland can replace his 11 points a game if he decides not to return. I hate the me,me players although I'm sure it's more Daddy than Malik

fccee1
05-25-2016, 08:06 PM
He will be a problem if he comes back

I seen it dawg
05-25-2016, 08:22 PM
If it's gonna be this shit for one more day then get the **** out. You're in or you're ****ing out.

Commercecomet24
05-25-2016, 08:25 PM
If it's gonna be this shit for one more day then get the **** out. You're in or you're ****ing out.

100% agree!

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-25-2016, 08:27 PM
I hope Howland talks some sense into them because I think the alternatives will hurt him in the long run. Hate to see players make poor decisions like De'runnya.

HoopsDawg
05-25-2016, 08:28 PM

Exactly. Trust Howland. Play for the team. And everything else will take care of itself.

Earl Woods knew he had to step away from Tiger. All Dad's of successful kids understand this concept. Big Train, it's time to be a dad and a fan. Let someone else develop him from here on out.

Commercecomet24
05-25-2016, 08:28 PM
Yeah I hope daddy doesn't screw it up for him. He just needs to let Malik decide and get the freak out the way!