PDA

View Full Version : Thin skinned Cronin says Malik won't be back at MSU.

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 01:18 PM
I can't stand the girl, but she is tight with Newman.

Thoughts?

ShotgunDawg
05-25-2016, 01:27 PM
1. I don't see where she was definitive like that. All I see is that it's being discussed.

2. I think everyone is in a state on confusion right now because no one expected this. I also think Newman's side is trying to gain some leverage by leaking this in order to get Howland to concede something or agree to something. My guess is that Newman doesn't want to transfer but scouts are telling him he must improve in an area or position that Howland isn't agreeing too

3. Lastly, it may be that the Newmans just need someone to blame so that Newman maintains status

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 01:29 PM
1. I don't see where she was definitive like that. All I see is that it's being discussed.

2. I think everyone is in a state on confusion right now because no one expected this. I also think Newman's side is trying to gain some leverage by leaking this in order to get Howland to concede something or agree to something. My guess is that Newman doesn't want to transfer but scouts are telling him he must improve in an area or position that Howland isn't agreeing too

She just said it on the radio. They asked her if, in her opinion, Malik would be at MSU this coming season, and she said No. 5 minutes ago on 105.9 fm

ShotgunDawg
05-25-2016, 01:30 PM
She just said it on the radio. They asked her if Malik would be at MSU this coming season, and she said No. 5 minutes ago on 105.9 fm
Gotcha. I didn't realize that.

MafiaDawg
05-25-2016, 01:30 PM
So his options are 1 MSU with proven coach 2. Jackson State or 3 sit out a year. Mmmmm? Tough call*

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-25-2016, 01:31 PM

Howland has to consider the existing players as well. I am sure some of them signed based on the sales pitch that Newman was a one and done...If it were me who signed based on that and the "one and done" came back, my feathers would be a little ruffled.

War Machine Dawg
05-25-2016, 01:32 PM
It would be the most MState thing ever. Our "for sure" 1-and-done legacy winds up not being that good then transferring after not getting drafted. So yeah...
http://31.media.tumblr.com/5090182f8b428e8023c917c583d661e1/tumblr_mnyhrjHMAh1s9362xo1_400.gif

starkvegasdawg
05-25-2016, 01:37 PM
To me, this is like the tsun NOA. Malik could end this now by releasing a statement saying he's coming back.

HancockCountyDog
05-25-2016, 01:37 PM
I can't stand the girl, but she is tight with Newman.

Thoughts?

Here is an unpopular opinion, I don't care. MSU basketball is back with or without him. If people think he is going to come back to MSU and not demand a ton of shots to make himself look better, y'all aren't paying attention. We have the potential to have a really young talented team led by Q. Im fine with avoiding the power struggle between a team player like Q and a player that is probably more focused on his own game.

I don't really blame Malik, if I had been told since I was 15 that I was going to be a one and done lottery pick, and now Im being told that Im most likely not going to be drafted and I had to go back to school, I would be focused on one thing and one thing only - making myself a first round pick. Putting up as many shots as it takes.

People are missing the fact that if he comes back and is just good - that his NBA chances are basically done. The NBA will just move on to the next crop of talented freshmen. Its not a coincidence that only 5 sophomores were drafted in the first round last year, none in the lottery, hell only 8 sophomores were drafted at all. There were 8 freshman drafted in the lottery last year alone.

Its a tough time for Malik and his Dad, I do feel for him because his decision to come to MSU really helped the public perception of MSU bball, but now its time to focus on getting back to playing meaningful games in February and March. Im not sure Malik's focus will be on making MSU better, his focus will be on making Malik better and Im concerned that those two things don't go hand in hand.

rant over

Reason2succeed
05-25-2016, 01:38 PM
I'm not trusting anything coming out of a former CL employee's mouth especially when Malik's dad has already put this to bed.

mparkerfd20
05-25-2016, 01:38 PM
I don't even care any more. We've had enough drama with our basketball team the last decade.

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 01:40 PM
Here is an unpopular opinion, I don't care. MSU basketball is back with or without him. If people think he is going to come back to MSU and not demand a ton of shots to make himself look better, y'all aren't paying attention. We have the potential to have a really young talented team led by Q. Im fine with avoiding the power struggle between a team player like Q and a player that is probably more focused on his own game.

I don't really blame Malik, if I had been told since I was 15 that I was going to be a one and done lottery pick, and now Im being told that Im most likely not going to be drafted and I had to go back to school, I would be focused on one thing and one thing only - making myself a first round pick. Putting up as many shots as it takes.

People are missing the fact that if he comes back and is just good - that his NBA chances are basically done. The NBA will just move on to the next crop of talented freshmen. Its not a coincidence that only 5 sophomores were drafted in the first round last year, none in the lottery, hell only 8 sophomores were drafted at all. There were 8 freshman drafted in the lottery last year alone.

Its a tough time for Malik and his Dad, I do feel for him because his decision to come to MSU really helped the public perception of MSU bball, but now its time to focus on getting back to playing meaningful games in February and March. Im not sure Malik's focus will be on making MSU better, his focus will be on making Malik better and Im concerned that those two things don't go hand in hand.

rant over

I agree

MarketingBully
05-25-2016, 01:41 PM
She just said it on the radio. They asked her if, in her opinion, Malik would be at MSU this coming season, and she said No. 5 minutes ago on 105.9 fm

She just stated on Twitter she didn't say that. What a stupid bitch.

TrapGame
05-25-2016, 01:44 PM
She just stated on Twitter she didn't say that. What a stupid bitch.

Wow! Does she not realize those shows are recorded?

lefty96
05-25-2016, 01:45 PM
I agree

x2

fishwater99
05-25-2016, 01:49 PM
Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 5h5 hours ago
Whole lot of misinformed, salty, cranky people and in the good 'ol Magnolia State this morning. Never change, y'all.

She is an idiot...

RBritt
05-25-2016, 01:49 PM
Special in tomorrow's CL, Mike Boner bones Cronin, in the new episode of Who's boning Cronin. Also great article on how ole miss helped Zach Houston beat Alabama.

MarketingBully
05-25-2016, 01:50 PM
It is leverage and they are using people like Cronin and Goodman to push their agenda. What Newman and Webster don't understand is that Howland wants to win and wants to put players in the league. When Newman succeeds, we all succeed. Why not learn from a coach who has gotten 20+ players in the NBA including Westbrook who last I looked is one of the most visible super stars playing today? I thin what ends up happening is they will talk and Newman will stay on the team. Shit, if it weren't for social media, we probably don't even hear about this and would be none the wiser while Newman had a great sophomore season on his way to the NBA.

Liverpooldawg
05-25-2016, 01:51 PM
I said this in the other thread: if he wants to come back and work and be a part of Howland's program then I'm all for it. He could be a big part of things. By doing that he would help himself as well. If he wants to come back and it be all him and he is going to cause trouble then no thanks. A poster who usually has good info says that if he does come back you can count on him being a team player and he won't be a problem. If that's the case then Welcome Back!

Coach34
05-25-2016, 02:00 PM
Howland is making some demands that have to be followed or Malik can move it on down the line. Sounds like maybe he didn't agree to those demands

notsofarawaydawg
05-25-2016, 02:01 PM
TSUN media doing their best to stir up trouble for their rival school.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-25-2016, 02:03 PM
I said this in the other thread: if he wants to come back and work and be a part of Howland's program then I'm all for it. He could be a big part of things. By doing that he would help himself as well. If he wants to come back and it be all him and he is going to cause trouble then no thanks. A poster who usually has good info says that if he does come back you can count on him being a team player and he won't be a problem. If that's the case then Welcome Back!

Yes this is Horatio not Malik. I understand his position as a dad & wanting the best for his son but this isn't a good look for him. I'm sure they will sit down & talk to Howland & things will get resolved but he's not going to intimidate or force Howland's hand. Malik needs MSU & Howland more than MSU & Howland needs Malik right now. Step back & put your son's career in the hands of the guy who has 20 NBA players.

fishwater99
05-25-2016, 02:04 PM
Howland is making some demands that have to be followed or Malik can move it on down the line. Sounds like maybe he didn't agree to those demands

I think Malik wants to be our PG and Howland is not going to make that promise..

BankerDog
05-25-2016, 02:05 PM
This isn't that big of news to anyone inside the program. I heard this rumor back right around the time he declared. Some buddies of mine have a grandfather who is very "in" with the basketball program and they had told me the transfer rumor. I didn't believe it at the time but I certainly believe it's coming from their camp.

To add to that, there were problems with Newman not listening to coaches during games and going with what his dad said to do. Several times you can see Horatio and Malik talk throughout the games. That doesn't need to happen, this is college basketball not high school. There was a poster last night claiming the seniors were jealous, and that was certainly the case earlier in the season but not in the later part of the year.

If Newman does decide to come back, I hope he sticks to trying to be a 2 guard. He does not play good defense, doesn't have very good handles, and his feel for the game just is not where it should be for a top pick. I also cringe at the thought of him taking minutes away from a guy like Eli Wright who I think was really really good upside and is very underrated in this class. Either way, we will have talent and if they take to coaching and gel together; we'll be very tough to beat.

Dawgology
05-25-2016, 02:07 PM
This is what Malik's dad had to say about it as of 10 am this morning:

There have been rumors that Malik might transfer from Mississippi State. But as far as you are concerned if he decided to take his name out of the draft then he was returning to Mississippi State. Am I correct in saying that?
"That is correct. He has a scholarship with Mississippi State. It is understood that if he didn't go through the NBA Draft then he is back in Bulldog Country. I haven't talked to another school and I haven't set up a visit with another school. I don't know where he could go unless you have a place for him (laugh)."

This is from a free article posted on genespage this morning.

TUSK
05-25-2016, 02:11 PM
Special in tomorrow's CL, Mike Boner bones Cronin, in the new episode of Who's boning Cronin. Also great article on how ole miss helped Zach Houston beat Alabama.

I thought this was funny.... I would have truncated the "g" in "boning", however....

MarketingBully
05-25-2016, 02:12 PM

I wouldn't imagine everything playing out in the press like it is would make Howland happy at all. I hope it all works out and Newman stays. If he does transfer, that would be the dumbest most idiotic move any player at state has made in my lifetime. And he will end up being my most hated player ever. At least when Hood left, you had the choice between Coach K and Rick Ray (no brainer). Coach Howland has coached 20+ pros. You can't get better teaching then that.

mic
05-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Again **** Cronin and Bonner ....

smootness
05-25-2016, 03:07 PM

This is exactly what he should do. Let him know his plans for Newman if he comes back and what Newman needs to do...if they don't like that, see ya.

basedog
05-25-2016, 03:24 PM
Meddling isn't Coaching, it's parents and agents. Kids today are soft and ego's are off the chart. Kids today think about "I" not "We" when playing team sports.

Glad I don't Coach anymore!