PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever explained why the tournament bracket is so messed up?

starkvegasdawg
05-25-2016, 01:01 PM
I don't understand why they have teams flopping sides of the bracket depending on whether they win or lose and then go back to single elimination at the semifinal level. Why don't they have it set up where the first 4 teams get a bye and the other 8 teams play an opening round single elimination game as they do now. That leaves you with 8 teams going into double elimination the second day. Then just play it out with two 4 team brackets with double elimination until you get to the championship and have it single elimination. If that ends up being too many games then have the brackets all single elimination until the championship game and have it best 2 out of 3. That second option would have the champion playing a maximum of 6 games in the tournament. That's compared to a maximum of 5 a team could play if they made it to the championship game and had to play the first day. I just don't like a team that hasn't lost a game being eliminated with one loss in the semifinals when another team could win it with one loss just because they lost in an earlier round.

ETA: Looks like my first scenario would still only be a max of 6 games.

Brando
05-25-2016, 01:18 PM
I was thinking the same thing. It is crazy. I thought we got the winner of LSU and FL if we won. Hell we play Vandy if we win. I was all confused!

mparkerfd20
05-25-2016, 01:23 PM
Where are you getting we'd play Vandy from? We are game 7. Vandy plays winner of Game 6 which is SC and UM. If we win we play winner of Game 8 which is FL and LSU. Lose and we play loser of FL and LSU.

drunkernhelldawg
05-25-2016, 01:49 PM
After today, it switches to winners brackets and losers brackets. Makes sense to me.

Brando
05-25-2016, 04:09 PM
Where are you getting we'd play Vandy from? We are game 7. Vandy plays winner of Game 6 which is SC and UM. If we win we play winner of Game 8 which is FL and LSU. Lose and we play loser of FL and LSU.

My bad, I looked one spot to high. Your right. I just dont understand why they put all the loosers together and all winners together instead of keeping the brackets seprate.

confucius say
05-25-2016, 04:16 PM
The bracket use to flip on Friday. Not sure if it still does.