PDA

View Full Version : Cam Akers Top 10

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 12:48 PM
So Akers has Cal in his Top 10, but not us? (Ole Miss, Ohio State, Michigan, Cal, Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Florida State)

If we haven't just conceded him and told him that, that's pathetic. Kid could be a top player in the country, plays at an MSU stronghold, and we don't even finish ahead of Cal. Please tell me why I shouldn't shake my head at that as I pass by other worthless May recruiting news?

Mjoelner34
05-25-2016, 12:50 PM
Its because we want him to play offensive line. **

RadtechBulldog
05-25-2016, 12:50 PM
I figured we would at the very least be in the Top 10. Feel the same way about Cal. They seem to be recruiting Mississippi hard these days but no excuse

msstate7
05-25-2016, 12:54 PM
No worries, we're #11**

BeardoMSU
05-25-2016, 12:57 PM
No worries, we're #11**

Yep, and as long as he doesn't go to OM, State fans will be happy. That's our recruiting philosophy: just please don't choose Ole Miss.**

civildawg
05-25-2016, 12:58 PM
He must not be a player**

Ifyouonlyknew
05-25-2016, 12:58 PM
This isn't surprising. We didn't concede anything he just hasn't been interested in MSU at all in months. He's been all over the country visiting schools but couldn't drive an hour & a half to Starkville. He's an amazing player & we've stayed on him he just hasn't returned any interest. We'll stay on him til January but I'd be surprised if anything changed.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-25-2016, 12:59 PM
We haven't been in the game for Akers from the beginning, nothing has changed. I figured he may have put us in the Top 10 just because we were instate, but I'm not shocked. Sonny Dykes has put together a good staff out at Cal and Art Kaufam was at ole miss for two different stints. I would imagine most of these MS kids that have Cal in their favorites are doing it for the recruiting visit.

HailState2008
I figured we would at the very least be in the Top 10. Feel the same way about Cal. They seem to be recruiting Mississippi hard these days but no excuse

One of Cal's primary recruiter is from Mississippi, and I think the head coach (Sonny Dikes, I think) use to recruit Mississippi pretty hard when he was at La Tech.

HancockCountyDog
So Akers has Cal in his Top 10, but not us? (Ole Miss, Ohio State, Michigan, Cal, Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Florida State)

If we haven't just conceded him and told him that, that's pathetic. Kid could be a top player in the country, plays at an MSU stronghold, and we don't even finish ahead of Cal. Please tell me why I shouldn't shake my head at that as I pass by other worthless May recruiting news?

Because he was never coming here. He is going to go to a school that puts out RB's that have been drafted in the first or second round. I think its UGA, but LSU is pushing hard. We all know what happens if he goes to the bear$.

We will have a hard time competing with UGA, LSU and Bama for elite top RB's due to the draft history those schools have and will have (Fournette will be a top 5-10 pick next year). At the end of the day, we got Hill who is clearly the second best back in the state, and some think the best. There are things we can bitch about when it comes to our recruiting, the RB position is not one of them.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-25-2016, 01:02 PM
One of Cal's primary recruiter is from Mississippi, and I think the head coach (Sonny Dikes, I think) use to recruit Mississippi pretty hard when he was at La Tech.

Jacob Peeler their WR Coach is from Kosciusko.

LeakyD
05-25-2016, 01:06 PM
My hunch is there are incentives in place not to include MSU.

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 01:06 PM
We haven't been in the game for Akers from the beginning, nothing has changed. I figured he may have put us in the Top 10 just because we were instate, but I'm not shocked. Sonny Dykes has put together a good staff out at Cal and Art Kaufam was at ole miss for two different stints. I would imagine most of these MS kids that have Cal in their favorites are doing it for the recruiting visit.

Well our best recruiting guys on here were saying Cam to State a year ago...so I'm surprised that now we're going to "never was interested".....and my question still stands....Why the hell cant we get him interested? Our RB history compared to OM's? We must not be where I thought in terms of improved recruiting.

If you can't get a kid to even show interest when he's been a top prospect since his freshman season...no wonder we can't get an OL. That's pathetic that we can't get this guy interested with all of the things in our favor with him. (MSU stronghold, former teammate on MSU team, in the state, history of running backs, etc)

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 01:07 PM
Because he was never coming here. He is going to go to a school that puts out RB's that have been drafted in the first or second round. I think its UGA, but LSU is pushing hard. We all know what happens if he goes to the bear$.

We will have a hard time competing with UGA, LSU and Bama for elite top RB's due to the draft history those schools have and will have (Fournette will be a top 5-10 pick next year). At the end of the day, we got Hill who is clearly the second best back in the state, and some think the best. There are things we can bitch about when it comes to our recruiting, the RB position is not one of them.

Fair enough, that's just not the consensus from a year ago.

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 01:07 PM

This would not surprise me

SDDawg
05-25-2016, 01:10 PM
This would not surprise me

Probably true but who cares?! He's not going to Ole Miss to play for SonOfNutt and to miss bowl games. I think he'll be at OSU.

HSVDawg
05-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Him and Kylin were never going to end up at the same school. This isn't news. Akers will likely end up at OM but could go out of state if LSU or one of the other SEC schools shows interest. I think he has already burned the bridge with Bama.

ShotgunDawg
05-25-2016, 01:13 PM

This is absolutely what's going on.

I would add though that instead of complaining, we should probably be asking if MSU has any chance of ever building an SEC contender when we aren't in play for 5 star recruits from our own state?

Ifyouonlyknew
05-25-2016, 01:14 PM
Well our best recruiting guys on here were saying Cam to State a year ago...so I'm surprised that now we're going to "never was interested".....and my question still stands....Why the hell cant we get him interested? Our RB history compared to OM's? We must not be where I thought in terms of improved recruiting.

If you can't get a kid to even show interest when he's been a top prospect since his freshman season...no wonder we can't get an OL. That's pathetic that we can't get this guy interested with all of the things in our favor with him. (MSU stronghold, former teammate on MSU team, in the state, history of running backs, etc)

I've said for the longest Cam & Kylin wouldn't be going to the same school.

ShotgunDawg
05-25-2016, 01:15 PM

This is full of stupid. Great players make great draft picks, schools don't make great draft picks.

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 01:16 PM
Him and Kylin were never going to end up at the same school. This isn't news. Akers will likely end up at OM but could go out of state if LSU or one of the other SEC schools shows interest. I think he has already burned the bridge with Bama.

They are all "showing interest", kid might be the best RB in the country. If he goes to Ole Miss, the NCAA failed, and we might as well push all $ to baseball and basketball, bc cheating at all costs will be the new accepted rule

Coach34
05-25-2016, 01:16 PM
He doesn't want to have to compete with Hill

Ifyouonlyknew
05-25-2016, 01:20 PM
Personally I think he ends up OOS. LSU, UGA, or Ohio St being the darkhorse.

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 01:22 PM

If so, im fine with him not coming.

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 01:22 PM
Personally I think he ends up OOS. LSU, UGA, or Ohio St being the darkhorse.

I'm pulling for Urban

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-25-2016, 01:23 PM

I'm sorry bud, but they may have had bad info. I can't answer those questions, but I can tell you that no matter of all the things we think we have in our favor with him, it doesn't matter with him. We don't have that 'it' factor that he wants to play for. Some of the laziness and "staleness" of the offensive staff doesn't help things.

HancockCountyDog
05-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Fair enough, that's just not the consensus from a year ago.

A few months ago, people were trying to say the 2017 was more talented than the 2016. People say a lot of things that have no basis in fact.

The 2016 in state class is something we may not see again for a decade. This year's class is genuinely a down class. Now someone may step up in the summer and surprise, but our class will live and die with how we do out of state. Thankfully I think T-Buck and Sirmon will really help us there.

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the responses...I'm not calling anybody out or anything, I was just sincerely wondering how we can fall out of a top 10 for a guy like this. It makes me question things.

I hate recruiting more every day

MafiaDawg
05-25-2016, 01:36 PM
I think the decision has already been made and the rest from here on out will be semantics and for show.

defiantdog
05-25-2016, 02:13 PM
Bingo! He dropped Bama because he wants to be the premier back in the class.

BankerDog
05-25-2016, 02:22 PM

I don't ever recall seeing that said. The guy just simply doesn't want to be here. He was never coming here. Even the Clinton guys on the team (Ced Jiles, Grant Harris) have said "He just doesn't wanna go here." Akers is a lot like Knott. He will go out of state. Either UGA, LSU, or Tennessee.

BankerDog
05-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Also, it's very likely that we'll end up with most of the top 10 in state outside of Charles and Akers; which Charles is far from a done deal. Our out of state recruiting has really picked up as well; hopefully Keldrick Calper, Brad Stewart, and Cardavien Scuggs could all commit here during the summer.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-25-2016, 02:29 PM
Personally I hate that we don't have a shot with him, but I'm glad we're not being fed a bunch of shit and dragging this out for a hat fake.

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 02:46 PM
Personally I hate that we don't have a shot with him, but I'm glad we're not being fed a bunch of shit and dragging this out for a hat fake.

Agreed

CadaverDawg
05-25-2016, 02:47 PM
I don't ever recall seeing that said. The guy just simply doesn't want to be here. He was never coming here. Even the Clinton guys on the team (Ced Jiles, Grant Harris) have said "He just doesn't wanna go here." Akers is a lot like Knott. He will go out of state. Either UGA, LSU, or Tennessee.

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?32632-Kylin-Hill&highlight=Akers

Dental Dawg
05-25-2016, 02:47 PM
I have heard the fix was in for months and he was just about to announce his commitment to Ole Miss before all this NCAA crap. As far as the Hat Fake, you better believe there will be a MSU hat. They want to get under our skin even if he has no interest in us.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-25-2016, 02:55 PM
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?32632-Kylin-Hill&highlight=Akers

Good to see my opinion from now to then hasn't changed too much

smootness
05-25-2016, 03:05 PM
I'll take Hill and be more than happy.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-25-2016, 03:24 PM
I have heard the fix was in for months and he was just about to announce his commitment to Ole Miss before all this NCAA crap. As far as the Hat Fake, you better believe there will be a MSU hat. They want to get under our skin even if he has no interest in us.

If we're not in his top 10 and there is a hat on the table, why would any let it get under their skin? There is a 99.9% chance that he will choose someone other than us. Everyone might as well get over it and move on. What gets under my skin is that we continue to lose the top level in-state prospects to OOS schools. There for a couple of years it seemed like we had a little better hold on things, but it's fallen off as of late.

1bigdawg
05-25-2016, 03:27 PM
I would add though that instead of complaining, we should probably be asking if MSU has any chance of ever building an SEC contender when we aren't in play for 5 star recruits from our own state?

This. It is not just about Akers either. We lost a top OL from the triangle who had State roots. Heck, Johnny used to work for the athletic department.

I know we have gotten a couple, but considering we get no out of state 5 star guys we have to do much better in state.

1bigdawg
05-25-2016, 03:29 PM
This is full of stupid. Great players make great draft picks, schools don't make great draft picks.

Correct. Fournette could have gone to Co-Lin three years and be drafted in the 1st round.

Covercorner2
05-25-2016, 03:30 PM
If we're not in his top 10 and there is a hat on the table, why would any let it get under their skin? There is a 99.9% chance that he will choose someone other than us. Everyone might as well get over it and move on. What gets under my skin is that we continue to lose the top level in-state prospects to OOS schools. There for a couple of years it seemed like we had a little better hold on things, but it's fallen off as of late.

Bama hasn't always been this good....

Prior to last year (when 2 kids went to Bama), since 2011 there has only been ONE 247 composite top 5 player in MS go out of state- Devin Voorhies to LSU. And, he was ranked 5th and far from an elite player.....

BossDawg
05-25-2016, 03:48 PM

IF Akers is getting incentives to keep MSU off his list, then that shit needs to be stopped ASAP. I'm not sure how we'd even find out, but it's certainly something we should get to the bottom of. Just the thought that could be happening infuriates me. We either need to fight fire with fire (give recruits incentives to keep UM off their list) or find out what we can find out and let the NCAA handle it.

As low and pathetic as UM's minions are, I can absolutely see them spending their money on such shenanigans because they can't win any other way. They can barely "win" as it is.

Goldendawg
05-25-2016, 03:59 PM
Guys with all the issues with our OL, and the showing on the ground with a featured 160 back last year, some backs might read or notice. A better OL might help with some future backs. Don't get me wrong, I hope the guys we have in house step up in 2016 and years to come, but these positions go hand in hand.

Turfdawg67
05-25-2016, 05:24 PM
Maybe it's like an AJ thing (allegedly)... threw a number out there and we passed on the bidding war.

Goldendawg
05-25-2016, 05:28 PM
Well, if so, doesn't help to report shakedowns to the SEC or NCAA. Look at the Scam Newton case and how that turned out for us.

RichardHarrow
05-25-2016, 09:01 PM
I want him simply because I'm from Clinton. I want to continue that pipeline to state. It doesn't have to be an either or situation with he and Kylin. They could both come and be a wicked one too punch. Will it happen? Unlikely, but fingers crossed. We'll be fine without, but he'd be icing on the cake no doubt

JohnnyQuid
05-25-2016, 09:12 PM
I hate recruiting more every day

social media has made recruiting unbearable - grown men reduced to croot tweeting to show love and keep it 100! can't think of anything worse than trying to keep up with footbal recruiting in this era if you don't have legit inside sources.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-26-2016, 08:14 AM
Bama hasn't always been this good....

Prior to last year (when 2 kids went to Bama), since 2011 there has only been ONE 247 composite top 5 player in MS go out of state- Devin Voorhies to LSU. And, he was ranked 5th and far from an elite player.....

Uh Voorhies was a composite 4 star on 247: http://247sports.com/Player/Devin-Voorhies-20485

Since 2011, there have been FIVE composite 5 stars from Mississippi and you're correct that they stayed in state....but how many 4 stars or 3 stars that went on to play and make an impact at OOS schools? While some of the kids like Voorhies don't work out at LSU, he could have provided depth for us.

There were 3 that Bama took last year...Knott, Davis, and Lashley

17thebears
05-26-2016, 09:09 AM

Yeah, same thing that happens if he goes to OSU, Bama, Michigan, Tennessee, UGA, Auburn, LSU, Florida State, or.... MSU.

HancockCountyDog
05-26-2016, 09:11 AM
Yeah, same thing that happens if he goes to OSU, Bama, Michigan, Tennessee, UGA, Auburn, LSU, Florida State, or.... MSU.

Click an ad

Covercorner2
05-26-2016, 09:41 AM
Uh Voorhies was a composite 4 star on 247: http://247sports.com/Player/Devin-Voorhies-20485

Since 2011, there have been FIVE composite 5 stars from Mississippi and you're correct that they stayed in state....but how many 4 stars or 3 stars that went on to play and make an impact at OOS schools? While some of the kids like Voorhies don't work out at LSU, he could have provided depth for us.

There were 3 that Bama took last year...Knott, Davis, and Lashley

You misread my post. I said top 5 players in MS, not 5 stars. Lashley was not a top 5 player in MS.

HancockCountyDog
05-26-2016, 09:47 AM
You misread my post. I said top 5 players in MS, not 5 stars. Lashley was not a top 5 player in MS.

He had top 5 potential. Just not immediate impact.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-26-2016, 10:02 AM

You are correct on that....I guess I'll have to remember that Lashley wasn't a top 5 ranked player in the state when he helps bama beat us in the future.

NCDawg
05-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Guys with all the issues with our OL, and the showing on the ground with a featured 160 back last year, some backs might read or notice. A better OL might help with some future backs. Don't get me wrong, I hope the guys we have in house step up in 2016 and years to come, but these positions go hand in hand.

I agree. It's tough to run when there's no hole and you hit a stone wall. I remember Josh Robinson trying to run against the Ole Miss defense a couple of years ago. He had no chance.

Jarius
05-26-2016, 01:35 PM
If he doesn't want to compete with another tailback he's got the wrong teams in his top 10

BankerDog
05-26-2016, 01:57 PM
You are correct on that....I guess I'll have to remember that Lashley wasn't a top 5 ranked player in the state when he helps bama beat us in the future.

I'll call it right now and I'll eat crow if I have to. But explain to me why a guy who was said to be an NFL LT, didn't even play LT for his high school? He played RT. Also Lashley's footwork during MS/AL All-Star week wasn't exactly 4* worthy. Lashley will get lost in the shuffle at Bama, just like Knott and Davis. Same thing happened with Facine, Rod Woodson, and every other MS guy that has gone to Bama the last few years with the exception of Steen and Justin Woodall. Situation is the same for LSU with Devin Voorhies and will be for Charles.

Now am I mad we lost out on Knott, Lashley, Davis, Charles, and Womack? Yes they would've provided a starter or two in the future. But to hype these kids like this so early is dumb and then when they don't live up to expectations we down them. Just dumb.

CadaverDawg
05-26-2016, 02:17 PM

Click an ad, Colonel John

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-26-2016, 02:37 PM
I'll call it right now and I'll eat crow if I have to. But explain to me why a guy who was said to be an NFL LT, didn't even play LT for his high school? He played RT. Also Lashley's footwork during MS/AL All-Star week wasn't exactly 4* worthy. Lashley will get lost in the shuffle at Bama, just like Knott and Davis. Same thing happened with Facine, Rod Woodson, and every other MS guy that has gone to Bama the last few years with the exception of Steen and Justin Woodall. Situation is the same for LSU with Devin Voorhies and will be for Charles.

Now am I mad we lost out on Knott, Lashley, Davis, Charles, and Womack? Yes they would've provided a starter or two in the future. But to hype these kids like this so early is dumb and then when they don't live up to expectations we down them. Just dumb.

Don't disagree there, but welcome to recruiting.....we aren't in a position to lose possible contributors from Mississippi unless we start being able to pull in decent talent from out of state. There aren't many battles outside of Mississippi that we win against the bama's, uga's, lsu's of the SEC world.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-26-2016, 02:38 PM

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1928158/banned-permabanned-o.gif