PDA

View Full Version : ESPN...

SaintDawg
05-25-2016, 12:05 PM
Is as incompetent as the CL. Why is women's softball taking precedence over men's college baseball? Why am I having to dig for information regarding college baseball but women's softball has the leading headlines? I hate to sound like a chauvinist but c'mon... I understand that they are in the midst of their tourney, but hell...:mad:

ScoobaDawg
05-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Honestly you just answered your question. Softball is in playoffs. Baseball is in conference tournaments.
What game are you looking for info on? SEC games are where they are supposed to be.. on the sec network. Any other tournament. well thats on the conference and their television deal.
And I have to laugh at anyone complaining they have to "dig for info" but can post on ED instead.. d1baseball.com, twitter, google....

Bully13
05-25-2016, 12:16 PM
Political correctness. Espn is a very left winged organization.

Leroy Jenkins
05-25-2016, 12:24 PM
Same question every year... because it's playoff time for softball.

Or...its because DISNEY owns ESPN and Disney hates 'murica.*

SaintDawg
05-25-2016, 12:25 PM
Honestly you just answered your question. Softball is in playoffs. Baseball is in conference tournaments.
What game are you looking for info on? SEC games are where they are supposed to be.. on the sec network. Any other tournament. well thats on the conference and their television deal.
And I have to laugh at anyone complaining they have to "dig for info" but can post on ED instead.. d1baseball.com, twitter, google....

I guess I'm just an asshole then. Thanks ScoobaDawg!

BeardoMSU
05-25-2016, 12:29 PM

Right?! How dare ESPN promote an activity that takes women out of the kitchen...**

Johnson85
05-25-2016, 12:40 PM
Right?! How dare ESPN promote an activity that takes women out of the kitchen...**

I would be interested in seeing how ratings for women's college sports do. ESPN started pushing coverage for women's sports long before it was justified by ratings because of the potential for it to pay off by creating more women fans, thereby greatly increasing their potential market (and in the event men started watching, it would provide a huge source of relatively cheap live programming).

I've never seen whether it's paid off or not.

Really Clark?
05-25-2016, 12:45 PM
I would be interested in seeing how ratings for women's college sports do. ESPN started pushing coverage for women's sports long before it was justified by ratings because of the potential for it to pay off by creating more women fans, thereby greatly increasing their potential market (and in the event men started watching, it would provide a huge source of relatively cheap live programming).

I've never seen whether it's paid off or not.

The women's softball championship dominated the men's last year.

http://www.flosoftball.com/article/33495-wcws-dominates-baseball-world-series-ratings

MedDawg
05-25-2016, 03:25 PM

DanDority
05-25-2016, 03:59 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bully13 again.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
05-25-2016, 04:11 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BeardoMSU again.

Really Clark?
05-25-2016, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't have predicted that but then I saw it was Michigan vs Florida in softball and Vanderbilt vs Virginia in baseball. Two much larger states and schools in softball. Probably twice the population and more than twice the enrollment.

I wonder what the viewer numbers for previous CWS are. Bet they were higher than 2015.

Edit- Vandy-UVA was a repeat championship of 2014? No wonder. There were twice as many viewers watching the 2014 CWS finals as 2015. Many more watched the 2014 CWS finals than watched the 2015 softball finals.

I think the women also went up against the opening of the Stanley Cup. Also, 2014 was the biggest viewership for CWS since 2009. The third game for Vandy-VA had 2,388,000 viewers. The third game for the WCWS had 2,273,000 viewers last year and is second all time to the 2007 Tenn-Arizonia game. I think with the increases the WCWS have shown every year, with the right teams, they might beat the CWS again this year. But the right combination of teams do have make it.

Goldendawg
05-25-2016, 04:16 PM
I have a daughter and a son, but without Title IX, many women's sports would die if they had to be funded on attendance or viewers. Of course, many men's sports would also die without $ made by football, basketball, and sometimes baseball at the college level.

Really Clark?
05-25-2016, 04:21 PM
I have a daughter and a son, but without Title IX, many women's sports would die if they had to be funded on attendance or viewers. Of course, many men's sports would also die without $ made by football, basketball, and sometimes baseball at the college level.

And there are more and more universities losing money on men's basketball and football every year.

Goldendawg
05-25-2016, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I watched a few minutes of Auburn's women's horseback riding team on the SEC network the other day. Said they won the National Championship, who knew?

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Everybody knows Auburn Equine is a powerhouse

Turfdawg67
05-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Unfortunately it's always been that way. Not a lot of sports outlets give a hoot about college baseball. That sucks when you are a "baseball" school. When you download apps from ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS, etc... they ask you to pick your favorite sports and teams and never has college baseball been a choice! Really sucks!

SaintDawg
05-25-2016, 04:49 PM
Unfortunately it's always been that way. Not a lot of sports outlets give a hoot about college baseball. That sucks when you are a "baseball" school. When you download apps from ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS, etc... they ask you to pick your favorite sports and teams and never has college baseball been a choice! Really sucks!

I think this is more of my gripe than anything else. I don't have a thing against female sports, I just wish college baseball got the attention that it deserves. It always seems that Womens This-or-That, or NCAA Lacrosse, or NCAA Hockey, or whatever gets a better shake than college baseball.

Goldendawg
05-25-2016, 04:53 PM
Title IX, man, if we still kept them "barefoot and pregnant", they wouldn't have time for all these odd sports and the equal TV it demands! I know, I know, not PC.

Johnson85
05-25-2016, 05:01 PM

It's really kind of ridiculous the money that gets plowed into sports that don't make money. Pretty much every sport but football and men's basketball should be run like club teams are, and football should be run like a club team at probably almost every school outside of the power five conferences.

Goldendawg
05-25-2016, 05:17 PM
My understanding is with Title IX, you must fund as many sports scholarships for girls as with guys in today's PC world, no matter if anyone cares to pay to see it or not.

shoeless joe
05-25-2016, 09:51 PM

ESPN most definitely has a left winged PC agenda that they push constantly.

That said, I don't think them showing college softball regionals is a reflection of that. Honoring the Jenner individual and sticking a woman in a baseball commentator booth are.

RIdog
05-25-2016, 09:56 PM

Ah , for the good ol' days __ barefoot and pregnant . :)

MSUDawg13
05-25-2016, 10:34 PM
The women's softball championship dominated the men's last year.

http://www.flosoftball.com/article/33495-wcws-dominates-baseball-world-series-ratings

That's completely uncalled for, Burgundy. You know those rating systems are flawed. They don't take in account houses that have, uh, more than two television sets and other - other things of that nature.

BeardoMSU
05-25-2016, 10:37 PM
That's completely uncalled for, Burgundy. You know those rating systems are flawed. They don't take in account houses that have, uh, more than two television sets and other - other things of that nature.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Vince-Vaughn-Hates-You-With-a-Passion-As-An-Anchorman-In-The-Legend-Of-Ron-Burgundy.gif

Bothrops
05-25-2016, 11:04 PM
ESPN wishes college baseball would go away forever.

sleepy dawg
05-25-2016, 11:58 PM
I don't buy any of this. College baseball is the 3rd highest revenue producing sport in college athletics. There is a market there... a big market. College baseball gets the shaft in coverage and scholarships. There is no good reason for it. More people want to see college baseball than women's softball, and women's basketball. ESPN shows both of those sports more, playoffs or not.

It_Could_Happen
05-26-2016, 12:06 AM

Bingo Bango, that's why FS1 is climbing in the ratings. They are willing to get Travis, Bayless, cowherd, and Whitlock and letting them say what they want and people like it. Meanwhile ESPN has Kara Lawson breaking down the NBA playoffs..