PDA

View Full Version : Malik coming back...

C222
05-24-2016, 10:25 PM
damn, we are going to be loaded.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-24-2016, 10:28 PM
So he's not staying in the draft or transferring?? Interesting I thought those were his only 2 options by listening to some.

smootness
05-24-2016, 10:29 PM
Coming back to college, but transferring, right?!**

Awesome news.

BeardoMSU
05-24-2016, 10:29 PM
So he's not staying in the draft or transferring?? Interesting I thought those were his only 2 options by listening to some.

Indeed. I imagine some of those retards will double down with their bullshit.

I'm glad Malik made the right choice, and I'm thrilled to have him back next year.

preachermatt83
05-24-2016, 10:30 PM

Boom!! Haha!!

smootness
05-24-2016, 10:31 PM
Oh snap, Goodman did say he may pursue other opportunities besides returning to State. Uh oh...

C222
05-24-2016, 10:31 PM
Coming back to college, but transferring, right?!**.

Awesome news.

Welll, per Jeff Goodman, he is "exploring other opportunities."

But he did retweet Courtney Cronin saying he's coming back to State so who the hell knows

smootness
05-24-2016, 10:32 PM
I love that Goodman specifically said Webster told ESPN he's withdrawing from the draft but only attributed the other news to a 'source'. Haha

smootness
05-24-2016, 10:33 PM
Now he specifically mentions transferring as an option. Well, I would have to eat some serious crow on that one.

That would be so dumb, though. Why on earth would they decide to do that?

Ifyouonlyknew
05-24-2016, 10:34 PM
Oh snap, Goodman did say he may pursue other opportunities besides returning to State. Uh oh...

I may have spoke too soon.

Irondawg
05-24-2016, 10:34 PM
He'd be an idiot to not at least listen to what some international teams may offer. If he can get in a good league with a good financial offer it's worth considering for him.

I don't think there is much chance he'd transfer to another NCAA team

preachermatt83
05-24-2016, 10:35 PM
He's not transferring.

C222
Now he specifically mentions transferring as an option. Well, I would have to eat some serious crow on that one.

That would be so dumb, though. Why on earth would they decide to do that?

Per Gary Parrish, he is hearing JUCO as a possibility. Weird.

BeardoMSU
Is Andy Kennedy making a final recruiting push?**

C222
05-24-2016, 10:36 PM
He's not transferring.

Shit, he's for sure transferring now.

smootness
05-24-2016, 10:36 PM
JUCO hahahaha man, they must want out bad.

C222
05-24-2016, 10:37 PM
Adam Zagoria per Horatio - "As far as I know, he's going back to MSU."

BeardoMSU

Matt is like "Mush" from the movie A Bronx Tale**

preachermatt83
Some of u guys believe everything out there. Just calm down and let it play out. He is not transferring.

preachermatt83
05-24-2016, 10:38 PM

Matt is like "Mush" from the movie A Bronx Tale**

Hhahahaha!!

PassInterference
05-24-2016, 10:39 PM
Bye Felisha.

Wasn't the best player on the team this year. Might be further down the list this year. Not sure he wants to be here?

Get out. This spells cancer.

Harrydawg
05-24-2016, 10:41 PM
Transferring to a big name program is very likely not an option.....think about it. He transfers and sits out only to test the NBA waters again next year. Not many teams around wanting to take that chance.

UM has been courting Malik all along......big time, they do this just to stick us - Kennedy has a relationship with Horatio.
But with all that said, I don't think they would go to UM.

smootness
Some of u guys believe everything out there. Just calm down and let it play out. He is not transferring.

I'm not freaking out. Honestly, I had already accepted him leaving anyway. And if he wants to transfer, that's fine, we'll have plenty of talent regardless.

I just don't understand it from his POV.

BeardoMSU
Bye Felisha.

Wasn't the best player on the team this year. Might be further down the list this year. Not sure he wants to be here?

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp349/enzymeF/Setup/GIFs/sigh.gif
Hold your water, baby cakes.

smootness
05-24-2016, 10:42 PM
Transferring to a big name program is very likely not an option.....think about it. He transfers and sits out only to test the NBA waters again next year. Not many teams around wanting to take that chance.

UM has been courting Malik all along......big time, they do this just to stick us - Kennedy has a relationship with Horatio.
But with all that said, I don't think they would go to UM.

That is definitely not happening. This honestly could just be a move to try to send a message to Howland that they want some things to change.

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-24-2016, 10:42 PM
Bye Felisha.

All the tweet said was that a source said he may consider it.

Belegal
05-24-2016, 10:43 PM
I hope he's been going to class and still eligible! Otherwise why consider Jr. College?

smootness
05-24-2016, 10:44 PM
Talk about the most Mississippi State thing ever, though haha. This would be up there.

We get an elite player in-state who is a legacy...then our program becomes a dumpster fire...then we hire an elite coach who pulls him in...only for him to disappoint as a freshman and talk of leaving...then he pulls his name out of the draft to come back...only to transfer.

You would have to laugh at that.

smootness
05-24-2016, 10:45 PM
I hope he's been going to class and still eligible! Otherwise why consider Jr. College?

Doesn't want to sit out a year.

MarketingBully
05-24-2016, 10:45 PM
That is definitely not happening. This honestly could just be a move to try to send a message to Howland that they want some things to change.

That's what I was thinking all along. Webster said he was going back to State. I don't really understand the thought process of transferring if your goal is the NBA especially if you want a quick track to the NBA. Would be the dumbest idiotic move any player at State ever did IMO.

Irondawg
05-24-2016, 10:46 PM
i know Horatio mentioned something about not liking how Howland used him but I watched his Combine games and he looked exactly the same as he did at MSU. Virtually zero difference so not sure it's just a Howland thing. Guess we'll sit back and see how this plays out.

smootness
05-24-2016, 10:48 PM
They also could be attempting to shape the narrative for NBA teams also...well, my stock fell but it wasn't my fault, and I'll show you I'm not happy about it.

Who knows. Hopefully he comes back.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-24-2016, 10:48 PM
I expect him to be playing for MSU next year.

BayouDawg
05-24-2016, 10:53 PM
i know Horatio mentioned something about not liking how Howland used him but I watched his Combine games and he looked exactly the same as he did at MSU. Virtually zero difference so not sure it's just a Howland thing. Guess we'll sit back and see how this plays out.

Malik is gonna have to be a point guard at the NBA level. Right now he has a spot up 2 guard skill set but he will not be able play the 2 in the NBA at 6'2/6'3. Most 2 guards in the NBA are more like 6'6. That being said I don't know if he can play the point. He doesn't have great quickness and he has average handling. hopefully he improves and makes me look like an idiot though

MarketingBully
05-24-2016, 10:55 PM
Jeff Goodman does this shit for click bait. Adam Zagoria is a better source and got it from the horse's mouth. Malik probably having some fun. Direct quote from Adam's article.

"Malik Newman is withdrawing from the NBA Draft and plans to return to Mississippi State for his sophomore season, his father told SNY.tv Tuesday night.

"Yeah, he's going back to school," Horatio Webster said by phone. "He's going to pull his name out [Wednesday]. As far I know he's going back to Mississippi State. He still has a scholarshp at Mississippi State. I hope they didn't give it away."

preachermatt83
05-24-2016, 10:55 PM

Yup

preachermatt83
05-24-2016, 10:56 PM
Jeff Goodman does this shit for click bait. Adam Zagoria is a better source and got it from the horse's mouth. Malik probably having some fun. Direct quote from Adam's article.

"Malik Newman is withdrawing from the NBA Draft and plans to return to Mississippi State for his sophomore season, his father told SNY.tv Tuesday night.

"Yeah, he's going back to school," Horatio Webster said by phone. "He's going to pull his name out [Wednesday]. As far I know he's going back to Mississippi State. He still has a scholarshp at Mississippi State. I hope they didn't give it away."

+1

Todd4State
05-24-2016, 10:59 PM
If he does indeed come back I hope he works his tail off and takes over at point guard. I believe MSU is going to play a few games overseas this summer so that would be the perfect time to develop that part of his game.

Irondawg
05-24-2016, 11:00 PM
Malik is gonna have to be a point guard at the NBA level. Right now he has a spot up 2 guard skill set but he will not be able play the 2 in the NBA at 6'2/6'3. Most 2 guards in the NBA are more like 6'6. That being said I don't know if he can play the point. He doesn't have great quickness and he has average handling. hopefully he improves and makes me look like an idiot though

At the combine they worked him and listed him at shooting guard. I think that officially puts the PG issue to rest unless teams told him that's where they want to see him play. If so time to start doing serious work on the handle and passing.

Corn Bread
05-24-2016, 11:03 PM

He should return. Injuries aside Malik is a stud player. Holland has the pedigree to help Malik make the next step. Along with much added talent around him, this could be fun to watch.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-24-2016, 11:03 PM
If he does indeed come back I hope he works his tail off and takes over at point guard. I believe MSU is going to play a few games overseas this summer so that would be the perfect time to develop that part of his game.

He's just not a PG. He's a 2 & he just needs to work on being the best scorer he can be.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
05-24-2016, 11:05 PM
Only thing that worries me is Bonner claiming a source saying its a real possibility & his source would have to be Courtney Cronin. Only thing out of Malik is him retweeting her, but it only said he was returning to college.

C222
05-24-2016, 11:06 PM
Only thing that worries me is Bonner claiming a source saying its a real possibility & his source would have to be Courtney Cronin. Only thing out of Malik is him retweeting her, but it only said he was returning to college.

His source is definitely Cronin.

HoopsDawg
05-24-2016, 11:07 PM

Hopefully Howland is on it. We do need to get the ball in Malik's hands more often. Play he and Q together in the backcourt.

MarketingBully
05-24-2016, 11:11 PM
This shit had more to do with the bad attitude of the seniors we had not getting him the ball as well. He should understand all those guys are gone and it will be his and Q's team. He needs to quit this transfer rumor shit and work on making this his team when our new guys come in. This team has a great chance to be very good. It will definitely be one of the most talented teams we have ever had.

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2016, 11:11 PM
I think everyone just needs to let this play out & support Malik no matter what decision he makes.

Keep in mind that this is a kid that expected to be in the NBA this year & has probably thought extremely little about what he would do if he returned to college for his sophomore year. Now that that's a reality, he needs to figure out the best way to proceed.

Just let it play out, &, no matter what happens, Malik should be celebrated as a bulldog.

Corn Bread
05-24-2016, 11:14 PM
I agree totally. But he must be released first or am I wrong? This ain't a set back for him it is a re-set.

BayouDawg
05-24-2016, 11:15 PM
He's just not a PG. He's a 2 & he just needs to work on being the best scorer he can be.

Do you think he can make it in the NBA at the 2? I know Monte Ellis plays the 2 at 6'3 but he's really quick so teams can't just run him off the 3 point line for fear of the dribble drive. Malik is a great spot up shooter but at 6'3ish he's gonna have get better at driving to keep defenders honest.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-24-2016, 11:18 PM
Do you think he can make it in the NBA at the 2? I know Monte Ellis plays the 2 at 6'3 but he's really quick so teams can't just run him off the 3 point line for fear of the dribble drive. Malik is a great spot up shooter but at 6'3ish he's gonna have get better at driving to keep defenders honest.

If he expands his scoring repertoire sure. CJ McCollum, Dion Waiters, Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo all his size & 2 guards. It's not his size it's his game that's holding him back. If he proves he can be an efficient & more well rounded scorer he's fine.

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2016, 11:20 PM
Gene Swindoll ‏@GeneSwindoll 3m3 minutes ago
Per Horatio Webster who just talked to me, "Malik is withdrawing his name from the draft tomorrow and is coming back to Mississippi State."

MarketingBully
05-24-2016, 11:22 PM
I really hate Jeff Goodman. He is the one really stirring the pot on the transfer rumor. Then he doubled down and said he would be shocked if Newman came back to State.

MarketingBully
05-24-2016, 11:24 PM
This has to be Courtney Cronin who is fanning these flames and telling peeps that Malik will transfer. This will die down and he will return to State. I think this is just Malik screwing with her.

BayouDawg
05-24-2016, 11:25 PM
If he expands his scoring repertoire sure. CJ McCollum, Dion Waiters, Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo all his size & 2 guards. It's not his size it's his game that's holding him back. If he proves he can be an efficient & more well rounded scorer he's fine.

I think he can be a great 2 guard for us. He's just got to get stronger to be able to finish at the rim and stay healthy

JohnnyQuid
05-24-2016, 11:31 PM
I really hate Jeff Goodman. He is the one really stirring the pot on the transfer rumor. Then he doubled down and said he would be shocked if Newman came back to State.

the biggest problem with social media driven reporting. click bait and shock value headlines. really doubt Jeff Goodman knows shit going on at state other than 3rd hand info he gets then manipulates to what draws the most intrigue

Todd4State
05-24-2016, 11:32 PM
This has to be Courtney Cronin who is fanning these flames and telling peeps that Malik will transfer. This will die down and he will return to State. I think this is just Malik screwing with her.

Why would she do that? And if she is, why doesn't she or the Clarion-Ledger report it?

MarketingBully
05-24-2016, 11:38 PM
Why would she do that? And if she is, why doesn't she or the Clarion-Ledger report it?

She is and they are. Look at her Twitter feed. She is the source that Bonner is listening to. I actually believe Swindoll in this case who talked with Horatio and he said he will be back at State. Whatever is happening will get fixed and Howland will get Malik back at State I have no doubts about it.

Bully13

we need the enforcer on Goodman. NOW....

JohnnyQuid

she's working for some paper out west now isn't she? don't think really concerns her at this point maybe other than she had a good rapport with newman from the docu stuff.

MarketingBully
05-24-2016, 11:39 PM

It's obvious why they are doing this but I think it will blow up in their faces when he doesn't transfer. They are wanting clicks. It's click bait.

MedDawg
05-24-2016, 11:44 PM

Commercecomet24
05-25-2016, 12:03 AM

That's what I thought as well by reading what all the "insiders" were saying on here.

JohnnyQuid
05-25-2016, 12:11 AM
just a passing thought but this era really is the misinformation age - guys just throwing shit out on various platforms with no verification just hoping to be the first one to break a big story. it's not just in sports it's all over - ****ing hate it

Commercecomet24
05-25-2016, 12:13 AM
just a passing thought but this era really is the misinformation age - guys just throwing shit out on various platforms with no verification just hoping to be the first one to break a big story. it's not just in sports it's all over - ****ing hate it

Amen! I'm with you on that!

Reason2succeed
05-25-2016, 12:17 AM
Ben Howland is a great recruiter. Sometimes you have to re-recruit guys who are already on your team. I trust that he's been around enough guys with NBA to do that.

MarketingBully
05-25-2016, 12:26 AM
Now usually I am at least okay with Bonner's reporting but this paragraph bothers the shit out of me:

"Newman never found a rhythm in his first season under Howland. He endured a number of injuries and played out of position most of the season. The 6-foot-3 guard was supposed to guide MSU at point guard. Instead, he often played shooting guard or small forward."

When the heck did we have him at small forward? Last I checked we tried like heck to put him at the PG position but he was more natural at the SG with IJ Ready and Q at the SF. I don't think we ever played him at the SF position. We played him either at the PG or SG role but he was so hampered by injuries that he wasn't able to really grasp the PG position as well as we would have liked. Does Bonner even understand basketball?

JohnnyQuid
05-25-2016, 12:48 AM
Now usually I am at least okay with Bonner's reporting but this paragraph bothers the shit out of me:

"Newman never found a rhythm in his first season under Howland. He endured a number of injuries and played out of position most of the season. The 6-foot-3 guard was supposed to guide MSU at point guard. Instead, he often played shooting guard or small forward."

When the heck did we have him at small forward? Last I checked we tried like heck to put him at the PG position but he was more natural at the SG with IJ Ready and Q at the SF. I don't think we ever played him at the SF position. We played him either at the PG or SG role but he was so hampered by injuries that he wasn't able to really grasp the PG position as well as we would have liked. Does Bonner even understand basketball?

He's been defended since Sunday by most of the state media guys but ive never loved bonner - he does ok but never do you see such scathing hot takes from the rebel beat guys. just is what it is. he basically gave a few facts mixed in with his or someone's opinion about where/how we played newman.

just don't read anything pushed out by the CL or their writers and can ignore it easily

RougeDawg
05-25-2016, 01:07 AM
This shit had more to do with the bad attitude of the seniors we had not getting him the ball as well. He should understand all those guys are gone and it will be his and Q's team. He needs to quit this transfer rumor shit and work on making this his team when our new guys come in. This team has a great chance to be very good. It will definitely be one of the most talented teams we have ever had.

^^^^^^This guy is on to something here. Maybe Horatio should take note. Nice post that most have overlooked.

RougeDawg
05-25-2016, 01:10 AM

Cronin is anti MSU all the way. She's slobbed all over the bearsharts for a couole years now and had consistently attempted to paint us in a bad light. Screw her. She's been proven moronic time and time again.

mic
05-25-2016, 06:30 AM
**** Bonner and Cronin...

Jarius
05-25-2016, 07:29 AM
Transferring would be completely idiotic. Sounds like that is what is likely to happen at this point from the confidence of the media, but I just don't understand the thinking behind it. He is going to have the opportunity here to play with a top 5 recruiting class plus himself and Q. That would be as good a situation as he is going to be in anywhere. If he leaves he will have to sit out and won't be at a school with any more talent than we have and won't be getting coaching from anyone better than he has right now.

msstate7
05-25-2016, 07:31 AM
Johnhevesymade, what you hearing?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-25-2016, 08:07 AM

Howland is going to earn his money on this one...what's more important, keeping Malik and his dad happy with what they think they need or what's best for the MSU program?

shannondawg
05-25-2016, 08:14 AM
Howland is going to earn his money on this one...what's more important, keeping Malik and his dad happy with what they think they need or what's best for the MSU program?

+1

RiverCityDawg
05-25-2016, 08:15 AM

All of those guys are taller and thicker than Malik. Heck, Waiters is 220lbs. Most of those guys are also more explosive leapers than Malik. Monta is the best argument size-wise but like the Bayou said, his quickness and ability to finish around the rim allows him to do it. I agree his game/ability is holding him back at this point, but his size is absolutely an issue. If he was 6-5 210 (like Mayo) but had the same game, he would be drafted this year.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-25-2016, 08:18 AM
All of those guys are taller and thicker than Malik. Heck, Waiters is 220lbs. Most of those guys are also more explosive leapers than Malik. Monta is the best argument size-wise but like the Bayou said, his quickness and ability to finish around the rim allows him to do it. I agree his game/ability is holding him back at this point, but his size is absolutely an issue. If he was 6-5 210 (like Mayo) but had the same game, he would be drafted this year.

All those guys based off their combine heights are within a 1/2 to 3/4 inch of Malik in height. Now they do have a few LBS on him but CJ McCollum is pretty much the exact same size height, weight, & wingspan. That's who his game should be patterned after. He's not blazing fast or crazy athletic but he's a very crafty & effective scorer.

fishwater99
05-25-2016, 09:00 AM

I totally agree. He doesn't have the ball handling and passing skills to be a PG in the NBA. He also needs to work in his defense.
Saying all of that, I am glad he is coming back to State !!!

Ifyouonlyknew
05-25-2016, 09:08 AM
I totally agree. He doesn't have the ball handling and passing skills to be a PG in the NBA. He also needs to work in his defense.
Saying all of that, I am glad he is coming back to State !!!

I agree. For all his injuries, question marks, & inconsistent play he still was a double figure scorer. He gets healthy, work on finishing better around the rim, & he's a 15-17ppg guy. A team with this many new faces could definitely use that type of scorer.

fishwater99
05-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Cronin is anti MSU all the way. She's slobbed all over the bearsharts for a couole years now and had consistently attempted to paint us in a bad light. Screw her. She's been proven moronic time and time again.

This... She never writes anything that shows us any love...

BiscuitEater
05-25-2016, 09:13 AM
Per [/I]Gary Parrish, he is hearing JUCO as a possibility. Weird.

WRONG. Apparently Parrish is ignorant of the JC rules. JUCO is NOT an option 'if' he wants to play basketball next year. Neither is transferring to a Div 1 team 'if' he wants to play next year. ONLY option is to transfer to a Div II team.

JUCO rules do NOT allow players to 'declare' and come back OR enroll in JC 'and play basketball.' Period.

Liverpooldawg
05-25-2016, 10:10 AM
If he wants to come back to MSU and work and be a part of the program then great, we could sure use him. If he wants to come back and whine and complain about PT and how he is used then we are better off without him.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-25-2016, 10:18 AM
If he wants to come back to MSU and work and be a part of the program then great, we could sure use him. If he wants to come back and whine and complain about PT and how he is used then we are better off without him.

Malik has gotten a bad rap because he's never done any of those things. Now Horatio can be outspoken sometimes but Malik hasn't been a bad teammate or hard to coach at all.

Liverpooldawg
05-25-2016, 10:21 AM
Malik has gotten a bad rap because he's never done any of those things. Now Horatio can be outspoken sometimes but Malik hasn't been a bad teammate or hard to coach at all.

In that case then Welcome Back!

drunkernhelldawg
05-25-2016, 10:49 AM
WRONG. Apparently Parrish is ignorant of the JC rules. JUCO is NOT an option 'if' he wants to play basketball next year. Neither is transferring to a Div 1 team 'if' he wants to play next year. ONLY option is to transfer to a Div II team.

JUCO rules do NOT allow players to 'declare' and come back OR enroll in JC 'and play basketball.' Period.

That worries me because Div 2 is where he can get 38 minutes every game. Gold to us is a great team performance, but gold to young athletes is never having to stop playing.

MarketingBully
05-25-2016, 10:54 AM
Goodman the idiot already walking back his initial assessment:

"Malik Newman camp is split on him transferring or remaining at Mississippi State, sources told ESPN."