PDA

View Full Version : You play to win ...

preachermatt83
05-24-2016, 01:10 PM
A competitor goes balls to the wall every play of every game. I cannot believe the number of people that are seemingly hoping we go 2 and out in the tourney. Forget rest. Go all out. Win the whole freaking thing!

Percho
05-24-2016, 01:10 PM
I agree.

Taog Redloh
05-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Who is saying this? Name them specifically, so we can ridicule them mercilessly for the puss balls that they are.

AlmostPositive
05-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Other than being more strategic with pitchers and pitching count, I'm sure most would agree with you.

Reason2succeed
05-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Anyone who is saying that is either a troll or is suffering from "afraid to win" syndrome. We want the regular season and the tourney championship before heading to Omaha if we can.

Taog Redloh
05-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Anyone who is saying that is either a troll or is suffering from "afraid to win" syndrome. We want the regular season and the tourney championship before heading to Omaha if we can.

I still think it's funny that folks really believe we got 'worn out' in 2012 (a week later). It couldn't possibly be that we ran up on a senior-laden team that could rake in a bomb happy ballpark.

starkvegasdawg
05-24-2016, 01:35 PM
I want us to win the whole thing, but it won't break my heard if we don't so long as we lost due to the bigger picture in mind. Sort of like MLB teams do once they have clinched the division. You let the bench guys get more work. If a starter has been fighting a nagging injury you get him some rest. You don't over extend your pitchers. The SECT is for nothing more than bragging rights. We've already locked up a national seed so we're playing at home until we're eliminated or go to Omaha. While I want to win it I don't want to try and win it at the expense of jeopardizing the big prize.

SaintDawg
05-24-2016, 01:37 PM
I want us to win the whole thing, but it won't break my heard if we don't so long as we lost due to the bigger picture in mind. Sort of like MLB teams do once they have clinched the division. You let the bench guys get more work. If a starter has been fighting a nagging injury you get him some rest. You don't over extend your pitchers. The SECT is for nothing more than bragging rights. We've already locked up a national seed so we're playing at home until we're eliminated or go to Omaha. While I want to win it I don't want to try and win it at the expense of jeopardizing the big prize.

This^^^

Taog Redloh
05-24-2016, 01:45 PM

Your starters also need practice in a tournament atmosphere. I agree with you about injuries, but that should go without saying anyway - an injured player hurts the overall team. And no, I don't think you play your bench warmers. And better yet, whoever wins the SECT will be the #1 or #2 overall seed (if it's us, Florida, aTm or SC).

smootness
05-24-2016, 01:50 PM
Your starters also need practice in a tournament atmosphere. I agree with you about injuries, but that should go without saying anyway - an injured player hurts the overall team. And no, I don't think you play your bench warmers. And better yet, whoever wins the SECT will be the #1 or #2 overall seed (if it's us, Florida, aTm or SC).

There is no way South Carolina will get the #1 or #2 overall seed, and there may not be a chance for us. Conference tournaments don't really change seeding much; the only thing they really change is who gets the automatic bids and in rare cases, an at-large bid.

That said, I don't think anyone hopes we go 2 and out, just that if we do, it's not a big deal. I think most want us to play games as normal and try to win without over-exerting our pitchers.

starkvegasdawg
05-24-2016, 01:51 PM
I'm mainly referring to the injuries you would play through if they were a regular season game. I agree the pitchers need work, but I don't think Cohen needs to ride one 8 innings if he starts showing fatigue after 5. And don't blame the bench the whole game, but work them in some. They need experience in a tournament atmosphere too. You don't want someone that hasn't seen the field in 6 weeks to all of a sudden get the call in the bottom of the 8th of game three of a super.

drunkernhelldawg
05-24-2016, 02:07 PM
I will be upset if we go 2 and out. I'd be afraid of that getting into our heads. Truth is, it'd be a great accomplishment to win the SECT in the deep field we have. It also reinforces our Regular Season Championship. I guess I'm in the minority that likes the conference tournaments. I guess it's my love of a lot of intense competition. We've had some great moments at conference tournaments over the years.

preachermatt83
05-24-2016, 02:08 PM
I will be upset if we go 2 and out. I'd be afraid of that getting into our heads. Truth is, it'd be a great accomplishment to win the SECT in the deep field we have. It also reinforces our Regular Season Championship. I guess I'm in the minority that likes the conference tournaments. I guess it's my love of a lot of intense competition. We've had some great moments at conference tournaments over the years.

Amen!

smootness
05-24-2016, 02:12 PM

Hasn't hurt teams in the past, and winning it hasn't helped us the last couple times.

You could just as easily argue that winning it will cause us to get complacent and get a big head, or that losing it will light a fire under us to prove it was an aberration.

I like conference tournaments and would love for us to win. I'll certainly be rooting for us to win it, but I don't really care that much if we don't.

Taog Redloh
05-24-2016, 02:15 PM
There is no way South Carolina will get the #1 or #2 overall seed, and there may not be a chance for us. Conference tournaments don't really change seeding much; the only thing they really change is who gets the automatic bids and in rare cases, an at-large bid.

That said, I don't think anyone hopes we go 2 and out, just that if we do, it's not a big deal. I think most want us to play games as normal and try to win without over-exerting our pitchers.

Oh Good Lord, so us, Florida or Texas A&M. Point is, there is seeding to play for. How are you going to distinguish between the 3 of us? Hoover is how.

We should not be overextending our pitchers anyway. Even in Omaha.

JETDAWG
05-24-2016, 02:24 PM
It would be nice to head into a regional on a winning note, 2 and a Q would mean our boys are playing at a level they are not used to (losing)
"I guess there's only one thing left to do win the whole frickin thing" -Jake Taylor Major League

smootness
05-24-2016, 02:25 PM
Oh Good Lord, so us, Florida or Texas A&M. Point is, there is seeding to play for. How are you going to distinguish between the 3 of us? Hoover is how.

We should not be overextending our pitchers anyway. Even in Omaha.

People who are paid to cover this stuff have said that conference tournaments have little bearing on seeding. Like I said, we have very little chance of being the #1 overall seed. Both BA and D1Baseball have us at #5 right now.

Results in the SECT just won't affect much of anything about the NCAAT. There's a chance LSU could ensure they get a national seed, or that SC could go 0-2 and miss out, but outside of that, not much will change.

drunkernhelldawg
05-24-2016, 02:32 PM
People who are paid to cover this stuff have said that conference tournaments have little bearing on seeding. Like I said, we have very little chance of being the #1 overall seed. Both BA and D1Baseball have us at #5 right now.

Results in the SECT just won't affect much of anything about the NCAAT. There's a chance LSU could ensure they get a national seed, or that SC could go 0-2 and miss out, but outside of that, not much will change.

Why wouldn't we get to at least 3 by winning? But you're right that it usually doesn't impact the national tourney's although we did win the SECT in hoops before our Final Four run.

smootness
05-24-2016, 02:38 PM
Why wouldn't we get to at least 3 by winning? But you're right that it usually doesn't impact the national tourney's although we did win the SECT in hoops before our Final Four run.

I don't know. I guess anything is possible, but I just don't think it would affect much. I wouldn't think one week would be enough to dramatically change what had happened the entire season leading up to it, regardless of what you call those games.

preachermatt83
05-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Seeding will def be affected some. If we go 2 and out 5 is the highest we will be. If we win the SEC tourney u can bet we will be the 3. Possibly the 2. There is no way the season sec champs and tourney champs would have any other sec team ahead of them.

Taog Redloh
05-24-2016, 04:27 PM

I'll just agree to disagree with you AND Kendall Rogers. By the way, their latest projections are a joke. A northern team WILL get a host, and FAU is perfectly capable of hosting a regional. Why would they give that to Arizona State? I also imagine a Pac-12 school will host outright though.

They have also been crowing that the SECT is in fact moving to Memphis. Watch how that shakes out.

You are a decent poster, when did you start listening to these dipshit journalists?

smootness
05-24-2016, 04:35 PM
I'll just agree to disagree with you AND Kendall Rogers. By the way, their latest projections are a joke. A northern team WILL get a host, and FAU is perfectly capable of hosting a regional. Why would they give that to Arizona State? I also imagine a Pac-12 school will host outright though.

They have also been crowing that the SECT is in fact moving to Memphis. Watch how that shakes out.

You are a decent poster, when did you start listening to these dipshit journalists?

FAU did not put in a bid to host. Perhaps they know more than you sometimes?

Taog Redloh
05-24-2016, 04:53 PM
FAU did not put in a bid to host. Perhaps they know more than you sometimes?

From 5 days ago: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/fl-fau-baseball-0520-20150519-story.html

Doesn't sound like a team uninterested in hosting a regional.

Can you produce evidence that they did not put in a bid to host a regional? And even if so, how can they decide?

smootness
05-24-2016, 04:56 PM
From 5 days ago: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/fl-fau-baseball-0520-20150519-story.html

Doesn't sound like a team uninterested in hosting a regional.

Can you produce evidence that they did not put in a bid to host a regional? And even if so, how can they decide?

It's in just about every article out there. Here's the first one I could find, but it's not where I initially read it:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2016/05/tulanes_hosting_ability_could.html

Every projection has them as a 1 seed but not hosting for a reason.

Taog Redloh
05-24-2016, 05:51 PM
It's in just about every article out there. Here's the first one I could find, but it's not where I initially read it:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2016/05/tulanes_hosting_ability_could.html

Every projection has them as a 1 seed but not hosting for a reason.

Oh well, you're right. 80% of my post was accurate. You're good at nit-picking, first South Carolina and then FAU. By all means let's forget the rest of the post.

smootness
05-24-2016, 06:22 PM
Oh well, you're right. 80% of my post was accurate. You're good at nit-picking, first South Carolina and then FAU. By all means let's forget the rest of the post.

You called their projections a 'joke' and called them 'dipshit journalists' and found it ridiculous that they didn't have FAU hosting. I'm nit-picking by explaining why they did that?

I'm saying that it might not be a bad idea to listen to what they're saying, and you're telling me I'm crazy for doing so. That seems like a pretty important point in that discussion.

Perhaps any projections you make will be an even bigger joke if you didn't even know why FAU couldn't host?