PDA

View Full Version : Zac Houston starting game one

Todd4State
05-23-2016, 11:13 PM
Of the SEC Tournament officially.

War Machine Dawg
05-23-2016, 11:23 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/pWYReekqQW72U/giphy.gif
http://rs641.pbsrc.com/albums/uu136/DiLLiGaFLmFaO/McFassy%20GIFS/tumblr_lmtln6PNFq1qzeugr.gif~c200

AlmostPositive
05-23-2016, 11:29 PM
I'm okay with it. I think he can beat Bama or Kentucky, and if so, we're in good shape for a deep run.

dawgoneyall
05-23-2016, 11:51 PM
Of the SEC Tournament officially.

Cohen is playing to win the whole thing.

BeardoMSU
05-23-2016, 11:52 PM
http://rs641.pbsrc.com/albums/uu136/DiLLiGaFLmFaO/McFassy%20GIFS/tumblr_lmtln6PNFq1qzeugr.gif~c200

I lol'd, WMD. Well done.

I'll add, though...

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/blfi.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/8lsdUe2E7hTA4/giphy.gif
http://i.imgur.com/SMAG8ol.gif
https://d.gr-assets.com/hostedimages/1429195655ra/14546902.gif

That being said, I think he'll slay, or at least I hope....

Percho
05-24-2016, 12:04 AM

Don't Worry,
Be Happy!

Percho
05-24-2016, 12:05 AM
I lol'd, WMD. Well done.

I'll add, though...

I did also.

Todd4State
05-24-2016, 12:21 AM
I'm okay with it. I think he can beat Bama or Kentucky, and if so, we're in good shape for a deep run.

I feel the same way you do. The key is actually winning the first game of course. The other thing to consider is our second game is likely against LSU or Florida and that is who Hudson is going to face as opposed to Kentucky or Alabama- both teams who are struggling right now.

The other thing to consider is Hudson threw 120 pitches against Arkansas. Giving him an extra day is probably not a bad idea.

If it works Cohen is a genius and if it doesn't he'll get criticized for it.

cujo
05-24-2016, 04:47 AM
I feel the same way you do. The key is actually winning the first game of course. The other thing to consider is our second game is likely against LSU or Florida and that is who Hudson is going to face as opposed to Kentucky or Alabama- both teams who are struggling right now.

The other thing to consider is Hudson threw 120 pitches against Arkansas. Giving him an extra day is probably not a bad idea.

If it works Cohen is a genius and if it doesn't he'll get criticized for it.

We're a national seed.

shoeless joe
05-24-2016, 05:04 AM
We're a national seed.

Exactly. I don't care if we 2 'n Q to be honest. Much bigger fish to fry than the SEC tourney

GreenheadDawg
05-24-2016, 06:17 AM
I kinda like the decision. Here is his chance to prove something and if he sucks it's really no sweat off our back. We are a national seed regardless. I think #4

drunkernhelldawg
05-24-2016, 07:43 AM
He'll pitch a great game and win by two runs. I'll also predict zero infield errors. This team is Bulldog fun. I wouldn't mind winning the SEC Tourney. No game is more important than the next game.

Todd4State
05-24-2016, 07:57 AM
I kinda like the decision. Here is his chance to prove something and if he sucks it's really no sweat off our back. We are a national seed regardless. I think #4

True. Pilkington didn't pitch very well last time out. If Houston emerges it could be interesting.

Johnson85
05-24-2016, 08:57 AM
Exactly. I don't care if we 2 'n Q to be honest. Much bigger fish to fry than the SEC tourney

Bigger fish to fry, and I do like challenging him, as him having a good outing would give us two really good and two solid starting pitcher options going into the regionals, but I really would hate it if we don't get a start for each of our normal weekend starters. They're used to pitching every weekend, so don't want to see us get off that schedule.

Boodawg
05-24-2016, 09:03 AM
I lol'd, WMD. Well done.

I'll add, though...

Where does that second to last gif come from?

HoopsDawg
05-24-2016, 09:22 AM
I like it. Houston was my pick. The guy probably has the 2nd best stuff on the team behind Hudson. I have seen guys struggle over the course of the season put it together in the SECT and carry it over the rest of the postseason. Houston's only issue has been his command. Hopefully, he has been putting in some good bullpen work.

CadaverDawg
05-24-2016, 09:25 AM
I'm cool with it. I'd tell Houston, Breaux, Small, & Billingsley that this will be their game to win or lose on the mound. That we aren't using anyone else, so get it done.

BeardoMSU
05-24-2016, 09:31 AM
I'm cool with it. I'd tell Houston, Breaux, Small, & Billingsley that this will be their game to win or lose on the mound. That we aren't using anyone else, so get it done.

That could be an effective motivation strategy.

When he reached the New World, Cortes burned his ships; as a result, his men were well motivated.**

Tbonewannabe
05-24-2016, 09:33 AM
If Houston gets it done then we are setting up great for the tournament. LSU beats Tennessee with either their 1 or 2 because it is single elimination and they need to win. UF going against LSU so they will probably go their 1 against a team they just lost the series to. So that sets up Hudson vs either LSU's 3 or UF's 2. Win that game and it is Sexton vs a 3 or 4 from LSU or UF. Leaves Pilk and the pen for the championship. Win the whole thing and we may be the #1 overall seed.

CadaverDawg
05-24-2016, 09:37 AM
That could be an effective motivation strategy.

When he reached the New World, Cortes burned his ships; as a result, his men were well motivated.**

Haha +1

maroonmania
05-24-2016, 09:45 AM
Well, it was pretty much going to either be Houston or Cyr. Houston is the experienced guy over Cyr and will likely do well IF he can throw strikes. If he looks shaky though through the first couple of innings though I would bring in Cyr.

AlSwearengen
05-24-2016, 09:46 AM
It wouldn't bother me one bit if we won only one game in the SEC tournament and then take it to the house and rest. We won nine straight SEC games. It is asking a lot to go deep into the SEC tournament and I would be afraid that it would leave our gas tanks low going into the tournaments that really matter.

SaintDawg
05-24-2016, 09:55 AM
Going back and looking at prior seasons, it is fairly unusual for the SEC Regular Season Champs to win the SECT. Last time it happened was in '11. South Carolina.
I agree with many of y'all. It wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if we went out early in the tourney. We got bigger fish to fry

drunkernhelldawg
05-24-2016, 10:02 AM
It may be better for the NCAA's if we go out early, but I am concerned that losing two games takes our winning edge away. I'd rather go ahead and win the SECT. It'll be tough with Florida and LSU in the way, but the thing this team does is win. I don't see how they let up on that without sliding a little. 21-9. 40 win season, and counting.

maroonmania
05-24-2016, 10:04 AM
It wouldn't bother me one bit if we won only one game in the SEC tournament and then take it to the house and rest. We won nine straight SEC games. It is asking a lot to go deep into the SEC tournament and I would be afraid that it would leave our gas tanks low going into the tournaments that really matter.

To be honest, now that the national seed is wrapped up, I wouldn't mind making a fairly quit exit either. Yes, I would love to win the SEC tournament but the fact is, every game we play in the SEC tournament is another opportunity for one of our starters to get injured before the NCAA tournament starts.

CadaverDawg
05-24-2016, 10:12 AM
There are no guarantees beyond this tournament, and these guys came here to win Championships. You play this tourney to win it, period. If you tank on purpose and then get upset in Regional play...all you did was take away a chance at a big accomplishment for these guys for no reason. These are young guys...let them play to win everything. They will have a week off between each of the next steps...this isn't MLB and they are 18-22 year olds. I've never wrapped my head around purposefully losing or not playing to win. Post season tournaments & Regular season titles are why you play. These guys WANT to win every tournament, they're competitors! Come on, guys...are you really suggesting we purposefully tank the tournament that should be more competitive than Omaha? This is what these guys live for.

BrunswickDawg
05-24-2016, 10:43 AM
There are no guarantees beyond this tournament, and these guys came here to win Championships. You play this tourney to win it, period. If you tank on purpose and then get upset in Regional play...all you did was take away a chance at a big accomplishment for these guys for no reason. These are young guys...let them play to win everything. They will have a week off between each of the next steps...this isn't MLB and they are 18-22 year olds. I've never wrapped my head around purposefully losing or not playing to win. Post season tournaments & Regular season titles are why you play. These guys WANT to win every tournament, they're competitors! Come on, guys...are you really suggesting we purposefully tank the tournament that should be more competitive than Omaha? This is what these guys live for.
A lot of these kids have grown up in the travel ball world - so they are used to 3-4 days where they sometimes played multiple games per day. They can handle it.

CadaverDawg
05-24-2016, 10:47 AM
A lot of these kids have grown up in the travel ball world - so they are used to 3-4 days where they sometimes played multiple games per day. They can handle it.

I agree.

shoeless joe
05-24-2016, 10:52 AM

Has anyone said tank it?

maroonmania
05-24-2016, 11:08 AM

I don't want anyone to tank anything. Heck, I will be at the games. My only point was, due to risk of injury prior to the NCAA tournament, I will not be upset if we get put out of the SEC tourney before the weekend. Would love to win the whole thing but I won't be down about it if we don't. In prior years we had a lot to prove in the SEC tourney, this year, not so much.

BeardoMSU
05-24-2016, 11:11 AM
Has anyone said tank it?

No, but some are arguing to go into it without the intention of winning it, and you just can't do that from a competitive stand point. You want our guys mentally sharp and firing on all cylinders wanting to win every game they play. Without that mentality, it'd be easy to get complacent, and that's NOT an attitude you want to have in the post-season. Period.

klong-dog
05-24-2016, 11:14 AM
I was more in hoping for Cyr. Mainly because of strikes being thrown. Hoover is of course a big park and we just need someone that can throw it over the plate. Houston can lose it and lose it in a hurry. Hopefully we can get some early runs and not have to put much pressure on him, for when he does start to struggle. I'd love to see him give us 5 or 6 solid innings. Anything more is gravy.

CadaverDawg
05-24-2016, 11:25 AM
No, but some are arguing to go into it without the intention of winning it, and you just can't do that from a competitive stand point. You want our guys mentally sharp and firing on all cylinders wanting to win every game they play. Without that mentality, it'd be easy to get complacent, and that's NOT an attitude you want to have in the post-season. Period.

This^

msstate7
05-24-2016, 11:28 AM
I wanna get deep enough to get pilk a start. I don't want his next start to be to win regional or avoid elimination after his shaky last start

Mjoelner34
05-24-2016, 11:32 AM

I think that may be me out in centerfield when the homeplate ump totally screws up a call.

BeardoMSU
05-24-2016, 11:47 AM

I actually don't know. I know it's Dennis Hopper - I just assumed that's always how he looked, lol.

I just searched for "17 you gifs", and it was one of the pictures that really resonated with me.**

Tbonewannabe
05-24-2016, 11:51 AM
I was more in hoping for Cyr. Mainly because of strikes being thrown. Hoover is of course a big park and we just need someone that can throw it over the plate. Houston can lose it and lose it in a hurry. Hopefully we can get some early runs and not have to put much pressure on him, for when he does start to struggle. I'd love to see him give us 5 or 6 solid innings. Anything more is gravy.

That is the biggest difference now from the beginning of the year. Wes understands his pitching staff a lot better. Houston can go from being dominant to not hitting the strike zone in 1 batter. Wes now knows this so he has a quicker hook than someone that will work out of it. I hope Houston gives us some good innings and really turns it up now. He is probably getting drafted high enough to not come back so hopefully he has some good games.

Tbonewannabe
05-24-2016, 11:54 AM

This group of guys are just different than last year. I think they are just so competitive it wouldn't matter if they were playing an exhibition game, they would want to kick ass. Last year it seemed like Cody Brown was the definition of going all out but this year the whole team has that kind of attitude. Wes has brought that kind of attitude to the pitching staff and I love it.

War Machine Dawg
05-24-2016, 12:02 PM
To be fair, I'm actually ok with starting Houston. He makes me nervous, but he does better with a clean inning than he does coming out of the pen with runners on. So starting the game probably works in the favor of a headcase like that. Wouldn't surprise me if he went out and dominated for 7 innings. Also wouldn't surprise me if we're down 5-0 in the first before we can get another reliever into the game. I know if it were me, I'd have Breaux/Cyr/Billingsley/James/etc. warm up pre-game just in case Houston starts walking guys and getting shelled early. Nothing worse than starting a guy who's been unreliable and not having anyone ready to go early if he implodes.

Commercecomet24
05-24-2016, 12:35 PM

Yep. It's a different world in baseball now. I've coached travel ball the last 15 years and the more these kids play the better they play. I watched my kids win a World Series by winning 5 games on a Sunday in July in Baton Rouge. They're used to it. They'll be fine.

Boodawg
05-24-2016, 12:52 PM
I actually don't know. I know it's Dennis Hopper - I just assumed that's always how he looked, lol.

I just searched for "17 you gifs", and it was one of the pictures that really resonated with me.**

Whatever it's from it's hilarious and crazy looking.

BrunswickDawg
05-24-2016, 01:09 PM
Yep. It's a different world in baseball now. I've coached travel ball the last 15 years and the more these kids play the better they play. I watched my kids win a World Series by winning 5 games on a Sunday in July in Baton Rouge. They're used to it. They'll be fine.

Yeah - gone are the days when the All-Star team for your park had to make sure they were loaded with pitchers to try to survive a a tough Pony League regional. We used to play in a lot of 15-14 championship games when everyone was tanked from playing 6 games in 2 days. Those games were fun as hell though.

SaintDawg
05-24-2016, 01:35 PM

I agree 100%. These kids are full of piss and vinegar and feel 10 feet tall and bulletproof. They'd play these games with their hair on fire. No one is suggesting that they'd intentionally tank a game. Just some of us fans are commenting saying that if we don't win the tourney that it's not the end of the world and to then concentrate on the NCAA tourney and Omaha.