PDA

View Full Version : Parrish Alford: NCAA update expected this week

DancingRabbit
05-23-2016, 01:08 PM
Bjork hits the nail on the head - no one outside the revival tent is going to believe their spiel.

We knew this was coming, and we have prepared an unbelievable response

NCAA update expected this week

Parrish Alford - Posted on May 23, 2016

OXFORD ? The NCAA investigation into Ole Miss football is expected to take another turn this week.

At some point soon, the school will officially respond to the notice of allegations it received from the NCAA in late January.

That response would have come earlier this spring, but on April 22 Ole Miss athletics director Ross Bjork announced that the deadline had been extended by 30 days. A third party, not the school, requested and received the extension, Bjork said.

The Associated Press reported in January that nine of 13 violations deal with the current coaching staff.

Bjork said in a statement in late January that ?most? of the allegations are based upon facts that had been disclosed previously in self-reports and reinstatement requests surrounding last fall?s suspension of offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil.

It?s not clear how ? if at all ? Tunsil?s comments the night of the NFL draft that he accepted money from Ole Miss coaches play into this investigation.

Once the school presents its response to the NCAA, that response will be made public, Bjork said.

?We knew this was coming, and we have prepared an unbelievable response that you will soon read and see for yourself,? Bjork told the crowd at the Rebel Road Trip stop in Tupelo in April. ?We are amazingly confident in the integrity of how and why we do things. We will tell our side of the story. We really can?t wait to tell our side of the story.?

ShotgunDawg
05-23-2016, 01:13 PM
I wonder if their "unbelievable response" has anything to do with the truth?

Sounds like they are going to makes an excuse for every single thing that has happened & claim it was a mistake. We'll see then if the NCAA agrees with that & if they initiate another NOA

saltydawg77
05-23-2016, 01:17 PM
well then I'm all ears! I'm sure I speak for all of us here at Elitedawgs when I say that! so I'm assuming a cat has his tongue! lol

ShotgunDawg
05-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Rosebowl said today that he doesn't care what Ole Miss has to say & is just interested in the allegations

jumbo
05-23-2016, 01:18 PM
Kind of strange that they have already responded to the NCAA, but are waiting to publicly release the response. Whatever we get is going to be heavily doctored I'm sure.

smootness
05-23-2016, 01:21 PM
'An unbelievable response' is a really strange way of wording that. Why would a response to allegations of wrongdoing ever be 'unbelievable'?

lefty96
05-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Man, he is certainly willing to stick his neck out on this. With that hyperbole, someone is bound to end up looking like a complete fool.

jumbo
05-23-2016, 01:23 PM
'An unbelievable response' is a really strange way of wording that. Why would a response to allegations of wrongdoing ever be 'unbelievable'?

ask OJ

BossDawg
05-23-2016, 01:25 PM

It certainly is. Also, why do they have to wait to tell their side? Why can't they just tell it? They are acting really strange. Really strange. Speaking only for myself though (no sources, just my feelings), I think they're gonna end up skating on the whole deal. That or end up with minor penalties. If that's the case, I just hope we up our recruiting game significantly.

ShotgunDawg
05-23-2016, 01:26 PM

Agree. It's like they drafted the response & started hand slapping while saying, "We got the NCAA now. This will show them."

Really odd to brag about something like that.

ShotgunDawg
05-23-2016, 01:27 PM
It certainly is. Also, why do they have to wait to tell their side? Why can't they just tell it? They are acting really strange. Really strange. Speaking only for myself though (no sources, just my feelings), I think they're gonna end up skating on the whole deal. That or end up with minor penalties. If that's the case, I just hope we up our recruiting game significantly.

Well... if the above happens, then the NCAA would have made it known that cheating is legal. Therefore, there would be no reason for our recruiting to now improve

Bubb Rubb
05-23-2016, 01:27 PM

You haven't been paying attention. The signs are everywhere.

spiral
05-23-2016, 01:29 PM
"We really can't wait to tell our side of the story."

Uh... The only reason there is a wait is because you are choosing not to tell the "story" yet. There is no entity with the ability to stop you from already telling anything you wanted to tell.

I also like that these are quotes from a Rebel Road Trip speech. No potential for sugar coating in that atmosphere.

DawgPoundLazer
05-23-2016, 01:35 PM
They really seem to be hanging their hat on the "Exemplary Cooperation" status they supposedly got granted. When it's all said and done, they are probably going to wish they fought this much harder than they did. Of course, it may be that the evidence is so damning that they didn't have a choice but to cooperate.

Dawgtini
05-23-2016, 01:37 PM
I agree. You would think during all this time that they would have worked on crafting a believable response.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-23-2016, 01:53 PM
"Unbelievable" meaning that no rational person could actually believe this response. Non-believable would have been the better choice of words here, Ross.

PassInterference
05-23-2016, 01:56 PM
I had to find that article myself. I couldn't believe that last paragraph wasn't a joke. It isn't.

http://djournal.com/sports/ncaa-update-expected-week/

smootness
05-23-2016, 01:59 PM

If they skate, the NCAA is openly admitting they are completely toothless, and it will be a completely free game on the recruiting trail.

JoseBrown
05-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Just heard Kellenburger say he's asked Bjork multiple times when they will release the response, and said Bjork keeps telling him they are excited to tell their story. Then he went on to something about he has a recording device on the end of his phone Bjork could tell his story anytime to. He also said the release will be this week too.

Dawgowar
05-23-2016, 02:09 PM
What they say as being their response vs what they actually send the NCAA will be two different messages. Lots of "Here is how we handled this" BS. Long march guys. Long march.

Really Clark?
05-23-2016, 02:11 PM
ULL got 11 scholarship reductions, etc. for 1 violation that was a Level 1 mitigated because the NCAA praised their cooperation in that investigation. Which started at UNM. And centers just on the academic fraud. ONE Level 1 mitigated violation and that's what ULL received as part of their penalties. If you have multiple Level 1 infractions it's is already at a higher penalty structure than mitigated. No matter how well you cooperate, multiple Level 1's by the school or program makes it aggravated. Period. Their penalty base starts higher than what ULL received.

TrapGame
05-23-2016, 02:15 PM
If they skate, the NCAA is openly admitting they are completely toothless, and it will be a completely free game on the recruiting trail.

If it happens say hello to the Hugh Freeze era of college football recruiting:

http://k30.kn3.net/34223E465.gif

Coach34
05-23-2016, 02:17 PM
Man, he is certainly willing to stick his neck out on this. With that hyperbole, someone is bound to end up looking like a complete fool.

How so?

An "unbelievable response" can basically describe any response they give. And just because they respond- doesn't mean the NCAA will accept it

lefty96
05-23-2016, 02:20 PM
How so?

An "unbelievable response" can basically describe any response they give. And just because they respond- doesn't mean the NCAA will accept it

Well, to me that statement has a lot of swagger to it. If in AD and I have an investigation on going and add the tunsil crap, I think I play it a bit cooler. You shoot your mouth off then get hammered, I think that costs you your current job as well as future jobs.

Boodawg
05-23-2016, 02:26 PM
Just remember all those statements by their AD was from back in April. They have said nothing since, so the narrative could possibly have changed. If he spoke again now, he may not have the same swagger. Who knows.

Coach34
05-23-2016, 02:39 PM
They aren't getting hammered in this 1st NOA. It's gonna be around 20
schollys I'm guessing

Coach34
05-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Just remember all those statements by their AD was from back in April. They have said nothing since, so the narrative could possibly have changed. If he spoke again now, he may not have the same swagger. Who knows.

this- they haven't said shit since Draft Night

Dawgowar
05-23-2016, 02:48 PM
Oh, and nice set-up with announcing their " fabuloooous" response. Control he messaging and announce your lie ahead of time lol

RIdog
05-23-2016, 02:50 PM
schollys I'm guessing

And you don't consider 20 schollys hammered ? Sounds somewhat crippling to me ?

Dawgowar
05-23-2016, 02:51 PM
schollys I'm guessing

20 over 3 or 4 may not be the hammer but it is a signing class worth of talent.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-23-2016, 02:54 PM
If I had to guess, Bjork's response will go something like this:

"“We are aware of the allegation related to Jake Morton, and he denies any wrong doing. Jake came to us highly recommended, Ken McDonald and I both did our homework during the interview process, and Jake passed our background checks before we hired him. These allegations occurred while Jake was a member of the University of Miami basketball coaching staff. We will cooperate completely and accordingly with the NCAA and the University of Miami during their investigations.

"Per protocol, the NCAA contacted the President’s office regarding their investigation of the University of Miami and their desire to speak with Jake Morton, who was a member of the Miami basketball staff during the timeframe of the alleged allegations. Jake will cooperate fully.”"

http://www.wkusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081911aaa.html

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-23-2016, 02:57 PM
Also, I didn't realize Bjork was at "The U" as an associate AD from 2003-2005. This was around the time Frank Haith was the basketball coach and got hit with sanctions after he left.

"Bjork was the Associate Athletic Director at Miami from 2003-2005 and was involved with the hiring process of Haith. Through his relationship with Haith, Bjork met Morton when WKU played Florida International in football in Miami last October.

"We went over to Miami and took a tour of their facilities and took some donors over there," Bjork said. "Frank showed us around and Jake was there.

"When we hired him, we did our background checks. When a name gets brought to me by one of our coaches, I do my background checks along with (Head Coach) Ken (McDonald) doing his background checks. We talked to the right people."

Bjork said among that list of people were NCAA officials, members of Miami's compliance department and former Miami Athletic Director Kirby Hocutt.

Bjork said WKU eventually hired Morton because he was the "total package."

"One, you're getting a guy coming from an ACC program, so he's seen play at the highest standpoint," Bjork said. "Great reputation, from a recruiting perspective. Those are the reasons you hire somebody — what's their experience, what's their connections, from a recruiting standpoint? What's their knowledge of the game? How do they fit?

"You check the box on all those things with Jake. He fit the need and fit the criteria."

The NCAA said it had been investigating the Miami situation five months before the Yahoo! report was published. Even so, Bjork said WKU had no inkling that these potential violations were surfacing when they hired Morton.

So, naturally, Bjork said he was "surprised" and "shocked" when he first heard about the allegations.

"With my relationship at Miami and me working there, the individual, Nevin Shapiro, was always a football booster. He was never even around basketball," Bjork said. "So I was shocked that there was a basketball connection to this guy and surprised these allegations came forward, because I know Frank Haith and Jake.

"But now, all we can do is cooperate and see how the process unfolds.""

http://wkuherald.com/sports/article_6ae8f9f0-d0e6-11e0-8edc-001a4bcf6878.html

ShotgunDawg
05-23-2016, 03:10 PM
schollys I'm guessing

How long after this response do you think it will take for a new NOA to be announced?

Indndawg
05-23-2016, 03:34 PM
Sounds like the ringmaster at a circus. Everything these clown say is fake.

Coach34
05-23-2016, 04:01 PM
How long after this response do you think it will take for a new NOA to be announced?

with the pace the NCAA works- could be 2 years

maroonmania
05-23-2016, 04:11 PM
Just heard Kellenburger say he's asked Bjork multiple times when they will release the response, and said Bjork keeps telling him they are excited to tell their story as long as its not under oath. Then he went on to something about he has a recording device on the end of his phone Bjork could tell his story anytime to. He also said the release will be this week too.

Fixed.

MedDawg
05-23-2016, 04:13 PM

DancingRabbit
05-23-2016, 05:04 PM
Sure, it was just bullshit spiel for the bear faithful to gobble up, but it looks so idiotic in print.

"we have prepared an unbelievable response" (Uh Ross, shouldn't you prepare a response the NCAA might actually believe?)

"We are amazingly confident" (Yes, most observers are amazed that you would be confident at this point)

I know it's certainly not a sure thing and maybe it's a long shot, but I would love to see both Bjork and Freeze runoft.