PDA

View Full Version : 2016 baseball draft

wayneland5025
05-23-2016, 05:30 AM
Not to throw cold water on our fantastic season, but we are playing a lot of juniors. I just wondered how many of them are likely to go in the major league draft? I sure hope that we can keep a few of them. Also, do we have a good recruiting class coming in for 2017? Thanks for your thoughts.

ScoobaDawg
05-23-2016, 09:29 AM
This has been talked about over and over... Yes we are losing a good bit but shouldn't expect a huge step back to last years level or anything. But 2018 should be another peak for us.

MetEdDawg
05-23-2016, 09:45 AM
This has been talked about over and over... Yes we are losing a good bit but shouldn't expect a huge step back to last years level or anything. But 2018 should be another peak for us.

Next year has the potential to still be very solid, but it's going to depend heavily on two things: who steps up to fill pitching spots and what juniors come back. Robson, Collins, Hump, Sexton, Hudson, Cody and Daniel Brown, Tatum, Kruger, Lowe, Houston, and Blake Smith are the contributing juniors this year. How many come back? If we can keep Robson, Kruger, one of either Collins or Hump, Daniel Brown, and Lowe, I will be very happy and that team should be able to compete.

Hudson obviously won't be back, but who else is a draft casualty? That's a big key to next year because we still have a lot of young pieces. Good young pitching, Mangum, Rooker, Gordon, Marrero, few others that have potential like Stovall and Alexander. Keep a couple of those junior bats and we will be tough again next year.

Taog Redloh
05-23-2016, 10:11 AM
Next year has the potential to still be very solid, but it's going to depend heavily on two things: who steps up to fill pitching spots and what juniors come back. Robson, Collins, Hump, Sexton, Hudson, Cody and Daniel Brown, Tatum, Kruger, Lowe, Houston, and Blake Smith are the contributing juniors this year. How many come back? If we can keep Robson, Kruger, one of either Collins or Hump, Daniel Brown, and Lowe, I will be very happy and that team should be able to compete.

Hudson obviously won't be back, but who else is a draft casualty? That's a big key to next year because we still have a lot of young pieces. Good young pitching, Mangum, Rooker, Gordon, Marrero, few others that have potential like Stovall and Alexander. Keep a couple of those junior bats and we will be tough again next year.

Robson is gone. D. Brown is gone. Collins and Humphreys are gone. Rooker will probably be back because he's got leverage. He and Kruger are both big into academics too. Hudson and Sexton are obvious. Houston is probably gone too, since he throws so hard, which is why it sucks that we aren't getting much out of him right now. In actuality, his success out of the pen will determine how far we go in the postseason IMO. We are missing one more good reliever.

Best I can tell is prep yourself for this. But even still, we'll be very good next year. The young guys have serious talent and will be contributing as sophomores.

I seen it dawg
05-23-2016, 01:03 PM
We will know at the deadline.

smootness
05-23-2016, 01:19 PM
I'm hesitant to say we'll be very good. We certainly could be good, but we'll take a pretty clear step back. Pilkington will likely be the only guy with any experience in the rotation at all, so while we will have talent there, it's possible that our pitching struggles, at least for a little while.

And losing that much of our lineup will sting quite a bit. IF Rooker comes back, then we'll have Mangum, Rooker, Marrero, Stovall, Alexander, Cody Brown, Cole Gordon, and any other freshmen or sophomores that can step up. That's not the makings of a strong lineup.

What we need is for some of the sophomore pitchers to go somewhere this summer and take big steps forward and for at least 2 of the Rooker/Kruger/Lowe group to return. I don't see that happening. I think next year will be a year where we start off slow, progress as the year goes on, and hope for 14 or so conference wins.

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-23-2016, 01:45 PM
I would be kind of surprised if Kruger gets drafted. I hope Houston comes back and tries to raise his draft status as a weekend starter.

smootness
05-23-2016, 02:01 PM
I would be kind of surprised if Kruger gets drafted. I hope Houston comes back and tries to raise his draft status as a weekend starter.

He OPS'd over 1.000 in the SEC and can possibly play catcher. He's absolutely getting drafted.

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-23-2016, 02:06 PM
I'm banking that next years team follows a pretty close script to what LSU did this year. A lot of talented newcomers who just needed playing time to jell into a good team. LSU started off slow and has progressed into a team who could make a deep run in the tourney. They lost 2 of 3 against Bama in their first series. Then lost 2 of 3 against A&M and even lost 1 to Auburn the series after that. I am glad that we caught them when we did. They finished 8-1 their last 9 SEC games, including the 2 of 3 that you saw against Florida.

If we have a year next year like LSU had this year, I will be very satisfied.

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-23-2016, 02:15 PM
He OPS'd over 1.000 in the SEC and can possibly play catcher. He's absolutely getting drafted.

I think he's going to be a guy without a position. Unless an MLB team thinks he can hit well enough to play somewhere else.

smootness
05-23-2016, 02:19 PM
I'm banking that next years team follows a pretty close script to what LSU did this year. A lot of talented newcomers who just needed playing time to jell into a good team. LSU started off slow and has progressed into a team who could make a deep run in the tourney. They lost 2 of 3 against Bama in their first series. Then lost 2 of 3 against A&M and even lost 1 to Auburn the series after that. I am glad that we caught them when we did. They finished 8-1 their last 9 SEC games, including the 2 of 3 that you saw against Florida.

If we have a year next year like LSU had this year, I will be very satisfied.

Yes, I will be plenty satisfied with a top-10 ranking, 19 conference wins, a regional host and possible national seed...

smootness
05-23-2016, 02:20 PM
I think he's going to be a guy without a position. Unless an MLB team thinks he can hit well enough to play somewhere else.

My point is that a team will draft him based on his offensive game even if they're not sure what position he plays. He played catcher some in the SEC, and that is enough to take a chance on him. He won't go rounds 1-2 or anything like that, but he's definitely getting drafted.

Heck, I would love for the Braves to take him at some point on the off chance he can stick at C.

msstate7
05-23-2016, 03:26 PM
My point is that a team will draft him based on his offensive game even if they're not sure what position he plays. He played catcher some in the SEC, and that is enough to take a chance on him. He won't go rounds 1-2 or anything like that, but he's definitely getting drafted.

Heck, I would love for the Braves to take him at some point on the off chance he can stick at C.

God knows we (braves) need a catcher

dawgs
05-23-2016, 04:16 PM
It'd definitely be nice to get 2-3 good years out of more players before they are gone. Hudson followed a similar career path as Stratton. Renfroe was another one. Seems like we have less guys that come in and are studs immediately than some other elite programs. Maybe mangum is a sign that that's changing. I just get nervous thinking about needing to potentially replace so many guys next year with young talent and wonder if that young talent will need a year or 2 to figure it out, which could lead to a lull closer to last season than a lull to 35-20 and a non-national seed regional host.

Taog Redloh
05-23-2016, 04:37 PM
I'm hesitant to say we'll be very good. We certainly could be good, but we'll take a pretty clear step back. Pilkington will likely be the only guy with any experience in the rotation at all, so while we will have talent there, it's possible that our pitching struggles, at least for a little while.

And losing that much of our lineup will sting quite a bit. IF Rooker comes back, then we'll have Mangum, Rooker, Marrero, Stovall, Alexander, Cody Brown, Cole Gordon, and any other freshmen or sophomores that can step up. That's not the makings of a strong lineup.

What we need is for some of the sophomore pitchers to go somewhere this summer and take big steps forward and for at least 2 of the Rooker/Kruger/Lowe group to return. I don't see that happening. I think next year will be a year where we start off slow, progress as the year goes on, and hope for 14 or so conference wins.

Sorry, I should back up. By very good, I mean a high 2 seed or host. Top 5 national seed and SEC Champs? No, probably not. But a 2012 type season.

On the lineup, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think you will find out that Marrero and Stovall will be hell in the lineup. I think Alexander will hit above .250 which is fine seeing the defense he'll give us. Mangum is Mangum, Gridley is Gridley (I do think he hits for a higher average) and Gordon I believe will come alive. And yeah, if we lose all 4 of Humphreys, Collins, Kruger and Rooker - yeah that will suck but at the same time we damn well better have a national championship if we have 4 pitchers and 6 positional players (including Lowe - I expect him to leave) drafted high enough to sign.

BB30
05-23-2016, 04:48 PM
We will lose some guys to the draft for sure. But, there were very few on here at the beginning of this season that thought we would be as good as we have been. Also, there are a ton of high ceiling young arms on the roster. Small has friday night stuff, Pilkington is throwing the ball well. If some of the younger arms step up I think we will definitely be competitive. Last year was an outlier in my opinion and we should stay competitive for the foreseeable future.

Brando
05-23-2016, 05:01 PM
I like how Ben McDonald put it the other night during a broadcast. I think it was the LSU game. He said that a kid should never leave college after his JR year unless he is looking at a TON of money to sign. He said there is too much you will learn in college that you wont learn playing rookie ball. He thinks alot of players leave after their JR yr and regret it badly.

I really wish Lowe, Robson, and Collins would come back. Even Hump for that matter. If they would come back, we would be a very very dangerous team next yr.

smootness
05-23-2016, 05:40 PM
I really wish Lowe, Robson, and Collins would come back. Even Hump for that matter. If they would come back, we would be a very very dangerous team next yr.

Ha yeah, we would be insane. But I disagree with him. You don't see a lot of guys who end up as impact major league players that stayed through their senior year in college. I think it could help Lowe for sure, and probably Collins and Humphreys, but they can also develop in the minors.

smootness
05-23-2016, 05:42 PM
Sorry, I should back up. By very good, I mean a high 2 seed or host. Top 5 national seed and SEC Champs? No, probably not. But a 2012 type season.

On the lineup, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think you will find out that Marrero and Stovall will be hell in the lineup. I think Alexander will hit above .250 which is fine seeing the defense he'll give us. Mangum is Mangum, Gridley is Gridley (I do think he hits for a higher average) and Gordon I believe will come alive. And yeah, if we lose all 4 of Humphreys, Collins, Kruger and Rooker - yeah that will suck but at the same time we damn well better have a national championship if we have 4 pitchers and 6 positional players (including Lowe - I expect him to leave) drafted high enough to sign.

I would love to be wrong, but 4 of the guys you mentioned OPS'd under .700 this year, and another hardly played. Just saying that we'll have to have a lot of unproven or inexperienced guys step up.

Taog Redloh
05-23-2016, 05:55 PM
I like how Ben McDonald put it the other night during a broadcast. I think it was the LSU game. He said that a kid should never leave college after his JR year unless he is looking at a TON of money to sign. He said there is too much you will learn in college that you wont learn playing rookie ball. He thinks alot of players leave after their JR yr and regret it badly.

Yeah Ben McDonald is wrong. Great announcer and great baseball mind, but without that demand like football or baseball has, you have to take the money when you get the leverage. I also would argue that by your junior year, I think you've lived the college experience and matured about as much as you need to. Time to play pro ball (if you're good enough).

MarketingBully
05-23-2016, 06:42 PM
Ha yeah, we would be insane. But I disagree with him. You don't see a lot of guys who end up as impact major league players that stayed through their senior year in college. I think it could help Lowe for sure, and probably Collins and Humphreys, but they can also develop in the minors.

Uh, Mason Katz stayed for his senior season. Melton is a senior with a ton of MLB potential as well.

MarketingBully
05-23-2016, 06:44 PM
I think it really depends on how far we go this post season. I really think this group wants to win a national championship. If we don't do that, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of those guys come back short of Hudson and a couple others.

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-23-2016, 07:34 PM
The way the legend of Mangum is going it would not surprise me if he convinced a couple of guys to stay.

smootness
05-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Uh, Mason Katz stayed for his senior season. Melton is a senior with a ton of MLB potential as well.

So...which part of my statement does that prove wrong?

I said you don't see a lot of guys who end up as impact major league players. So I didn't say there were none, neither of those guys is in the majors, and one is not even playing pro ball.

Katz put up a .719 OPS as a 24-year-old in A+ last year.

Melton is a college senior 1B who OPS'd lower than a lot of our lineup, with more than a 2/1 K/BB ratio. We'll see where he's drafted.

smootness
05-23-2016, 10:21 PM
These guys will likely not stick around just to try to accomplish more at the college level. I won't say it can't happen with 1 or 2, but this is their career and a serious financial decision. I don't that will have all that much weight with most.

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-23-2016, 11:13 PM
I was just joking but a fringe prospect like Lowe or Kruger sticking around could make a big difference.

BB30
05-24-2016, 08:37 AM

Also, to parlay on this, most college jrs generally if they are drafted early enough where they still have leverage to leave they probably are not going to rookie ball. Probably a short season A ball team or even a full season A. By the following year which would be their senior yr they are in spring camp trying to make a AA roster. Now that is obviously not everyone but the majority of college jrs drafted high enough to get paid are not going to rookie ball. In my opinion, it is about the kid's situation because once your out of the top 8-10 rounds your probably not seeing an amount of money that is worth not going ahead and graduating and getting picked up the following year(even though most kids get the rest of school paid for in contract). It is just better in my opinion if you are a Jr and not projected to go top 10 maybe top 15 rds and really top 4-6 to come back. An 8th round pick is usually slotted around the 150-170K range if you have leverage. That may seem like a decent chunk of change but when your getting paid 1100 a month, and out of that some clubs take a housing stipend so you could be looking at 800$ a month that 150 can go quick if your not smart.