PDA

View Full Version : While we're complaining... SECN Softball coverage

AlmostPositive
05-22-2016, 06:42 PM
I got up and clicked over to the SECN channel this morning at 8:15 hoping to see some in-depth coverage of the most dramatic day in SEC baseball this year.

What I got was a rundown of what seemed to be several dozen (several hundred?) softball games.

Then more softball and later, more softball. I gave up and DVR'd it and then sifted through later.

Seriously, are there 500 people in all the southern states who care about these games in any way, other than softball players and their families?

ESPN has pretty clearly Title IX'd their spring coverage...I guess we will be made to care.

JohnnyQuid
05-22-2016, 06:48 PM
felt like even during the season was as much or more softball televised. can't watch that shit even if it's our girls.

drunkernhelldawg
05-22-2016, 06:48 PM
A lot of people care about those games. But I do agree about the SEC network. What a disappointment, especially yesterday. Today, instead of being able to catch a replay of our game yesterday, which they didn't show as scheduled, it's all spring football and SEC Stories. Big waste of mental energy looking forward to the SEC Disanetwork.

BrunswickDawg
05-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Couple it with DirecTv apparently only cares about the Alternate channel during football season and failed to turn o the game when it was on. Fail all around.

gravedigger
05-22-2016, 06:59 PM
I got up and clicked over to the SECN channel this morning at 8:15 hoping to see some in-depth coverage of the most dramatic day in SEC baseball this year.

What I got was a rundown of what seemed to be several dozen (several hundred?) softball games.

Then more softball and later, more softball. I gave up and DVR'd it and then sifted through later.

Seriously, are there 500 people in all the southern states who care about these games in any way, other than softball players and their families?

ESPN has pretty clearly Title IX'd their spring coverage...I guess we will be made to care.

Im not mad about it. Sure, i wanted to see our highlights, but softball and womens basketball are great spectator sports.

They do need better coverage. They seem to be getting it this year.

I can tell you one other thing: womens basketball at msu has made me a fan for the rest of my life. Ill be a season ticket holder from now on.

War Machine Dawg
05-22-2016, 07:02 PM
It's ESPN. They're pushing the leftist social engineering agenda worse than even some of the "real" news outlets. Teaming up with them was smart financial business, but you have to deal with all the garbage that comes with them. That means watching 1,374,925 games of softball, softball taking up half or more of SEC Now, spring football replays instead of baseball, celebrations of mentally ill transgender athletes, etc. Do what I did: Stop watching anything on any ESPN affiliated network that isn't a live game or a replay of a game you might want to catch. We're in a golden age of TV programming, so there are plenty of other options.

AlmostPositive
05-22-2016, 07:07 PM
"Social engineering" is exactly the term that cm to mind...it is much more that than journalism.

I'm not interested in demeaning the sport... it's simply a matter of ESPN tailoring coverage to further their agenda rather than viewer interest. If there were a viable competitor, they would not choose that path.

JohnnyQuid
05-22-2016, 07:11 PM
Couple it with DirecTv apparently only cares about the Alternate channel during football season and failed to turn o the game when it was on. Fail all around.

direct TV alternate channel hasn't been right ever that I know of when we've been on there. had a buddy stay on the phone half hour with one of their ppl and they couldn't do shit about it.

could be worse I guess, I have cableone and they don't even have the alternate channel

maroonmania
05-22-2016, 07:30 PM
"Social engineering" is exactly the term that cm to mind...it is much more that than journalism.

I'm not interested in demeaning the sport... it's simply a matter of ESPN tailoring coverage to further their agenda rather than viewer interest. If there were a viable competitor, they would not choose that path.

Yes it is definitely pushing an agenda to subsidize women's sports but this time of year the network can do pretty much what they want because, outside of a few select schools, college baseball doesn't get a lot of viewership either. I would certainly think significantly more than women's softball but not enough to really matter. That's why you see the SECN replaying and replaying spring football games. College football gets the eyeballs seemingly whether its in season or not.

RocketDawg
05-22-2016, 07:38 PM

I'm pretty sure our game last night wasn't on an Alternate channel. It wasn't on Dish, and all the Alternates had was a still image saying "check back later" (presumably from the SEC Network) and some background music. I don't think it was the fault of Dish or DirecTV ... it just wasn't on except for streaming on SECN+.

War Machine Dawg
05-22-2016, 07:41 PM
I'm pretty sure our game last night wasn't on an Alternate channel. It wasn't on Dish, and all the Alternates had was a still image saying "check back later" (presumably from the SEC Network) and some background music. I don't think it was the fault of Dish or DirecTV ... it just wasn't on except for streaming on SECN+.

Incorrect. SEC Network had a crawler running just prior to our game that it would be on the Alternate until UM-aTm concluded. DirecT and Dish are just too lazy to push the damn buttons when it isn't football season.

ScoobaDawg
05-22-2016, 07:43 PM

Wrong. It was on Uverse 1608. it wasn't listed as such but it was playing. as soon as I saw the UM game was still on I start recording that channel and got some of the game (I forget to change the "untitled" selection to more than the alloted time (1 hour)

BrunswickDawg
05-22-2016, 07:45 PM
Incorrect. SEC Network had a crawler running just prior to our game that it would be on the Alternate until UM-aTm concluded. DirecT and Dish are just too lazy to push the damn buttons when it isn't football season.
Stricklin even tweeted about DTV failing to do this multiple times throughout the season.

smootness
05-22-2016, 08:21 PM
This was always likely to happen when they gave us the SECN. You'll get additional coverage of baseball and basketball, but you'll also get a lot of random coverage of sports you don't care about.

But it's still better than not having the SECN.