PDA

View Full Version : The CL "Apologizes"

TXDawg
05-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Executive Editor, Sam R. Hall issued an apology (excuse) for the baseball headline:

*WE WILL NOT LINK TO THE CLARION LEDGER NO MATTER WHAT - Scoobadawg*

Since most of you won't click the link, here's the "apology" in full:

The headline in Sunday?s print edition about the Mississippi State baseball team winning the SEC was unfortunate. As executive editor, I take responsibility for it because we didn?t have checks in place to make sure something like that didn?t happen. Those checks are now in place.

With that said, let me explain how it came to be that the Bulldogs winning the SEC ran with a headline thanking the Ole Miss Rebels for helping them out.

The headline was written by someone at our design studio in Nashville, someone who does not know the intricacies of the rivalry between the two schools. The headline played off the fact that Texas A&M needed to lose for State to win the SEC crown outright. For the Aggies to lose, Ole Miss had to win. It left State fans cheering for arch-rival Ole Miss at the same time the Bulldogs were trying to seal the deal against Arkansas.

What was meant as a clever, tongue-in-cheek headline by a group of talented designers and finishers in Nashville nevertheless would not have been written by someone who understands such a heated rivalry. For all of the great work that comes from being able to use a talented team of designers who are not onsite, this is one of the pitfalls we have to be careful to manage better.

That?s not to say The Clarion-Ledger is without blame. We had only one person working the section last night, and this person was working on-deadline content. After having proofed the story and sent it through, the producer later saw the story had been marked ?finished? and ?typeset? ? our terms for headers being written (finished) and the story or page ready for press (typeset). In the rush of things, it slipped through without a local set of eyes on the finished page.

That won?t happen again. A copy of the newspaper?s front page is sent to several editors ? including myself ? each night. Rarely do we see things that need to be changed, but from time to time it happens. Now, the same thing will happen with the sports section front page. Sports editor Hugh Kellenberger and myself will get a copy of the sports front each night so we can see it. Hopefully something like this will not happen again.

While this was a mistake and one for which I express our sincerest apologies, I do want to address the idea that The Clarion-Ledger has some conspiracy against Mississippi State. Such an idea is ludicrous. Many Ole Miss fans reading this column are nodding in agreement because they are convinced The Clarion-Ledger has some conspiracy against the Rebels. This, too, is a ludicrous idea.

We have no conspiracy against either school. We want Mississippi State, Ole Miss and every college in the state to succeed. When our schools succeed, it is great for our state, great for our readers and even great for business. To want to harm any of them would be asinine.

Furthermore, I?m a Mississippian, first and foremost. While I am a lifelong State fan, I want every team to succeed because it thrusts the Magnolia State into the positive national spotlight. We can never have too much good publicity. And our newsroom is filled with fans of and graduates from Ole Miss, State, Southern, Alcorn State, Jackson State, Millsaps and just about every college or university in Mississippi. That said, we check our collegiate allegiances at the door. To do otherwise would be extremely unprofessional and lead to biased reporting.

Back to the main point of this column: Did we make a mistake with that headline? Certainly. It was neither inaccurate nor maliciously intended; however, it wasn?t something someone who understands our market would have ever written. For that, I apologize. We?ll work to prevent future mistakes like that from happening.

Contact Sam R. Hall at srhall@jackson.gannett.com or (601) 961-7163. Follow Sam on Twitter and Facebook.

What complete and total HORSESHIT!!

AlmostPositive
05-22-2016, 05:52 PM
Headlines are written in Nashville by "designers."

Got it.

Liverpooldawg
05-22-2016, 05:53 PM
Sure, I believe that. *****

mic
05-22-2016, 05:59 PM
Hahahahahaha.... Hey CL .. Go **** yourself...

TheRef
05-22-2016, 06:00 PM
Why weren't the checks already put into place when you outsource your headlines 330 miles away? Also, passing the buck much?

DogsofAnarchy
05-22-2016, 06:02 PM
What a load of shit !!! It's time all MSU fans see that rag for what it is, a tampon.

QUOTE=TXDawg;558641]Executive Editor, Sam R. Hall issued an apology (excuse) for the baseball headline:

Since most of you won't click the link, here's the "apology" in full:

The headline in Sunday?s print edition about the Mississippi State baseball team winning the SEC was unfortunate. As executive editor, I take responsibility for it because we didn?t have checks in place to make sure something like that didn?t happen. Those checks are now in place.

With that said, let me explain how it came to be that the Bulldogs winning the SEC ran with a headline thanking the Ole Miss Rebels for helping them out.

The headline was written by someone at our design studio in Nashville, someone who does not know the intricacies of the rivalry between the two schools. The headline played off the fact that Texas A&M needed to lose for State to win the SEC crown outright. For the Aggies to lose, Ole Miss had to win. It left State fans cheering for arch-rival Ole Miss at the same time the Bulldogs were trying to seal the deal against Arkansas.

What was meant as a clever, tongue-in-cheek headline by a group of talented designers and finishers in Nashville nevertheless would not have been written by someone who understands such a heated rivalry. For all of the great work that comes from being able to use a talented team of designers who are not onsite, this is one of the pitfalls we have to be careful to manage better.

That?s not to say The Clarion-Ledger is without blame. We had only one person working the section last night, and this person was working on-deadline content. After having proofed the story and sent it through, the producer later saw the story had been marked ?finished? and ?typeset? ? our terms for headers being written (finished) and the story or page ready for press (typeset). In the rush of things, it slipped through without a local set of eyes on the finished page.

That won?t happen again. A copy of the newspaper?s front page is sent to several editors ? including myself ? each night. Rarely do we see things that need to be changed, but from time to time it happens. Now, the same thing will happen with the sports section front page. Sports editor Hugh Kellenberger and myself will get a copy of the sports front each night so we can see it. Hopefully something like this will not happen again.

While this was a mistake and one for which I express our sincerest apologies, I do want to address the idea that The Clarion-Ledger has some conspiracy against Mississippi State. Such an idea is ludicrous. Many Ole Miss fans reading this column are nodding in agreement because they are convinced The Clarion-Ledger has some conspiracy against the Rebels. This, too, is a ludicrous idea.

We have no conspiracy against either school. We want Mississippi State, Ole Miss and every college in the state to succeed. When our schools succeed, it is great for our state, great for our readers and even great for business. To want to harm any of them would be asinine.

Furthermore, I?m a Mississippian, first and foremost. While I am a lifelong State fan, I want every team to succeed because it thrusts the Magnolia State into the positive national spotlight. We can never have too much good publicity. And our newsroom is filled with fans of and graduates from Ole Miss, State, Southern, Alcorn State, Jackson State, Millsaps and just about every college or university in Mississippi. That said, we check our collegiate allegiances at the door. To do otherwise would be extremely unprofessional and lead to biased reporting.

Back to the main point of this column: Did we make a mistake with that headline? Certainly. It was neither inaccurate nor maliciously intended; however, it wasn?t something someone who understands our market would have ever written. For that, I apologize. We?ll work to prevent future mistakes like that from happening.

Contact Sam R. Hall at srhall@jackson.gannett.com or (601) 961-7163. Follow Sam on Twitter and Facebook.

What complete and total HORSESHIT!![/QUOTE]

TXDawg
05-22-2016, 06:05 PM
Everyone knows that if the roles were reversed, there's NO WAY that same headline would've been used.

That's all you need to understand about their "apology".

DawgPoundtheRock
05-22-2016, 06:17 PM
What complete and utter BS.

AlmostPositive
05-22-2016, 06:21 PM
Has Huge Kill-a-Burger told us what he thinks Dak's prospects are in Dallas?

To think anyone could look back fondly on Rusty Hampton....

Apoplectic
05-22-2016, 06:22 PM
If you go to that level of detail to deflect then you're admitting the idiosycracies of the job are too difficult for the competence level of the staff.

And per the twitters #firehugh #respect

Leroy Jenkins
05-22-2016, 06:23 PM
He says the headline was not "inaccurate", but it was. MSU won the SEC regardless of the aTm outcome. The bear win just means we didn't have to share it with the aggies. So yes, inaccurate.

I seen it dawg
05-22-2016, 06:38 PM
**** those guys

maroonmania
05-22-2016, 06:42 PM
Yea, any UNM fans that believe there is a conspiracy against the Rebels should have their head examined given the biggest story going on involving sports in MS today is the NCAA investigation into the Bears yet the CL refuses to report on it.

TrapGame
05-22-2016, 06:46 PM
A supposed "lifelong State fan" wouldn't let that happen. He's full of shit. And, while we are on topic, as a lifelong state fan why do you allow your newspaper to obviously prop up ole miss every chance they get. Furthermore, Mr. Lifelong State Fan where were you when ole miss was getting a rectal exam by the NCAA?

NYDawg
05-22-2016, 06:59 PM
With so many positive angles to work with (3 straight SEC series sweeps, perfect record in May, 9 of 10 SEC series wins, etc.), "Nashville" goes with the troll angle? Sorry, but that sounds a lot more like Hugh than some random, unnamed graphic designers who supposedly don't have any insight into the MSU/OM rivalry.

benbow
05-22-2016, 07:01 PM
Just a point of information -- editor Sam Hall is quite talents and he is indeed a good State fan. I agree the headline was horrendous. I am much more concerned about Hall's sports editor Kellenberger ignoring the "Ole Miss recruiting scandal". Hall needs to get some answers there.

War Machine Dawg
05-22-2016, 07:06 PM
With so many positive angles to work with (3 straight SEC series sweeps, perfect record in May, 9 of 10 SEC series wins, etc.), "Nashville" goes with the troll angle? Sorry, but that sounds a lot more like Hugh than some random, unnamed graphic designers who supposedly don't have any insight into the MSU/OM rivalry.

To be fair, newspapers really do have "headline people" who create the headlines. The writers only do articles. That's how it's been for decades. So I actually believe someone else came up with the headline. That said, I fully believe it was done on purpose. The headline didn't slip through the cracks. No one missed it. It's just plain bias from the CL. Nothing new or surprising about it. They're just trying to shift the blame since they're getting called out on it for a change.

Dawg496
05-22-2016, 07:06 PM
"Hopefully something like this will not happen again. :rolleyes:"

Boya
05-22-2016, 07:12 PM
How often do teams from MS win championships in a major SEC sport?

And we are to belive that nobody in Jackson reviewed the headline?

Whoops...

Leroy Jenkins
05-22-2016, 07:15 PM
Just a point of information -- editor Sam Hall is quite talents and he is indeed a good State fan. I agree the headline was horrendous. I am much more concerned about Hall's sports editor Kellenberger ignoring the "Ole Miss recruiting scandal". Hall needs to get some answers there.

Your first post is not quite talents.

AlmostPositive
05-22-2016, 07:21 PM
Your first post is not quite talents.

Mrs K-burger thinks Hugh is also quite talents.

Westdawg
05-22-2016, 07:36 PM
He says the headline was not "inaccurate", but it was. MSU won the SEC regardless of the aTm outcome. The bear win just means we didn't have to share it with the aggies. So yes, inaccurate.

I was wondering if anyone else caught that little quote. He basically just said that "well, IT'S TRUE". He covered his and his employer's hind ends, and then at then end of that drivel, says that it wasn't wrong.
I will GLADLY help in any way possible to force change. Count me in.

tireddawg
05-22-2016, 07:46 PM

Bullshit! And get the 17 out of here. He's a shithead like the rest of 'em.

tireddawg
05-22-2016, 07:50 PM
Someone I know resonded to Mr Hall

Mr. Hall,

The apology was horse crap and you know it. Explain why you guys have been getting scooped by the national media on the Mississippi cheating fiasco. I'll tell you why, because the majority of the media in the state of Mississippi is run by the Black Bears and they don't want negative stories written about their beloved university. Even if true.

We State folks are getting tired of the bias. And don't pretend it's not there. The proof is in the drivel being written by the Clarion Ledger and there's plenty of proof in black and white.

We hope that the apology was sincere, but you already know how we feel. There are plenty of State alumni that buy your paper, but after this headline, as you probably have already figured, there will be fewer.

Remember there's a lot of powerful State alumni in the state so you can only blame yourselves for the decline in sales.

Sincerely,
A Real Lifelong State Fan

Bucky Dog
05-22-2016, 07:54 PM
I think the apology is just an attempt to cover up laziness and incompetence. I too truly believe the headline was intentional and done in jest!! HK still is the final editor, as they admit and should realize that isn't appropriate and doesn't celebrate the accomplishment of our team as it should for the body of work. I still say if OM had won Thursday and lost the last two games, does the narrative stay the same??

EliteDawgEnforcer
05-22-2016, 07:55 PM

I just want everyone to know... He is a Dog.. and a good one at that... so give him some slack..

TUSK
05-22-2016, 07:57 PM
I dunno if the CL "has it in" for either MSU or OM....

But, I do know this - The Bham News, nor the Post Herald would ever, ever print the following regarding the Bammer/Aubie Rivalry:

?does not know the intricacies of the rivalry?
?[doesn?t] understand[s] such a heated rivalry?

MagicDawg
05-22-2016, 07:58 PM
My online response to the article - too long, yes, but I hated his "conspiracy" strawman and wanted to take it apart.

-------------------
This non-apology is about what I would expect given the circumstances. It sets up and shoots down a strawman, passes the blame, and avoids the real issue.

"Conspiracy" is a strong word and assuredly not the case. I don't think many State fans seriously believe the C-L staff is sitting in a back room plotting against State. The reality, though, is that it doesn't take a conspiracy for the paper to exhibit bias. Yes, it would be asinine to consciously and openly plot to undermine a large fan base. Nobody could keep that secret anyway. But it's a false dichotomy to dismiss the problem because it's not a "conspiracy."

The issue here is that it doesn't have to be a plot. It is the cumulative effect of small decisions, consistently made over a long time, that results in the bias in question. The same idea, frankly, applies to the left-leaning tilt of most U.S. newspapers and broadcast news outlets. The idea that it's a formal conspiracy is a rather exaggerated and outlandish claim, easily disputed and mocked, and therefore dismissed. But the real issue is that there are hundreds or thousands of reporters and editors and writers and producers and anchors and directors making innumerable personal decisions about which story to pursue, which angle to take, and which word, which phrase, or which tone to use, ultimately choosing that which puts their favored philosophy, candidate, or institution in the best possible light. And yes, death by a thousand cuts is a real thing that requires no mass conspiracy. All it takes is just a tiny deficit of integrity on any given article in a day, or a week, or a month, or a year.

In my interaction with Mr. Hall on Twitter I granted the possibility that the anti-MSU bias at the Clarion-Ledger was so embedded that decisions resulting in differences in how two schools are covered might be unconscious. But that doesn't mean the bias isn't real, only that the biased folks don't notice it. His response to me was simply to tell me that I'm only seeing what supports "my narrative." He closed that by saying, definitively, that "there is no bias" against either school. The obvious logical problem is this: how would a biased source know this in order to make such a definitive denial?

I contend that his claim that "there is no bias" is simply another narrative about which Hall, Kellenberger, and others will, as I was accused by Mr. Hall, only see what they believe supports it. The difference between their bias and mine is that they have a newspaper for theirs and operate under the pretense that they won't be biased.

It's not "my narrative" to notice that the Clarion-Ledger has been caught with its fly down. My own bias for narratives about zippers or buttons notwithstanding, all I can do is tell them its open. It's up to them to zip it.

ScoobaDawg
05-22-2016, 08:00 PM
This is crap or lazy journalism. Either way this isn't the first time it happened. Hugh apologized for a headline that happened a few months ago I read somewhere earlier.
This needs to be hammered home. that it's happened before and that shows an agenda. Hugh should be fired at least.

JohnnyQuid
05-22-2016, 08:03 PM
I just want everyone to know... He is a Dog.. and a good one at that... so give him some slack..

pretty damn hard being a new poster with a dissenting opinion around here lol

I can buy that sam hall is a state fan and pretty easily fully put this bullshit on killaburger

ScoobaDawg
05-22-2016, 08:04 PM
I dunno if the CL "has it in" for either MSU or OM....

But, I do know this - The Bham News, nor the Post Herald would ever, ever print the following regarding the Bammer/Aubie Rivalry:

?does not know the intricacies of the rivalry?
?[doesn?t] understand[s] such a heated rivalry?

As someone who has been inside the T News sports offices and seen the process of how stories are written and proofed by an editor and then a headline added.then a test print is done to check colors, spacing and make sure everything is alright. NO WAY a HEADLINE like "Auburn wins, hands Alabama SEC Championship" would ever happen. Someone would be fired for even suggesting it.

It's horseshit this happened. It's past time to demand a change.

tireddawg
05-22-2016, 08:05 PM

Well then he needs to do his job better. Right now he looks incompetent. Something needs to be done about HK. I believe he's gone rogue.

RocketDawg
05-22-2016, 08:08 PM
If the headline was created by someone who didn't understand the rivalry, why would they even make the joke? It would be meaningless to them. I suppose it could be a jab at the entire state of Mississippi, which seems to be a normal thing to do, but why joke about something that doesn't mean anything to the writer? Someone non-informed would never make such a joke.

I never read the CL when I was in Mississippi, and I don't read it now (it's not even available where I live in paper form). The only time I access it is to occasionally click a link that someone has posted that seems to be interesting.

TUSK
05-22-2016, 08:08 PM
As someone who has been inside the T News sports offices and seen the process of how stories are written and proofed by an editor and then a headline added.then a test print is done to check colors, spacing and make sure everything is alright. NO WAY a HEADLINE like "Auburn wins, hands Alabama SEC Championship" would ever happen. Someone would be fired for even suggesting it.

It's horseshit this happened. It's past time to demand a change.

That would be gettin' off light... they'd prolly have their window smashed with a brick, their face teabagged, and all the trees in the yard torched...

Now, that's a RIVALRY.*

Noxdog
05-22-2016, 08:12 PM
Well then he needs to do his job better. Right now he looks incompetent. Something needs to be done about HK. I believe he's gone rogue.

Not Sam H.

Dawgface
05-22-2016, 08:34 PM
I never saw the headline. I quit reading the CL over 20 years ago. Its an insignificant rag.

tireddawg
05-22-2016, 08:37 PM
Not Sam H.

Ok

tireddawg
05-22-2016, 08:38 PM
Sam Hall may be a dawg, but he sure is spinning it on Twitter like a black bear. I guess they've got to him.

MagicDawg
05-22-2016, 08:42 PM
Sam Hall may be a dawg, but he sure is spinning it on Twitter like a black bear. I guess they've got to him.

He has to work with them. He wants to be accepted by them. Who knows, maybe he married one. Whatever the case, from the outside it looks like he just wants to be invited to someone's Grove tent, State fan or not.

Leroy Jenkins
05-22-2016, 08:45 PM
That would be gettin' off light... they'd prolly have their window smashed with a brick, their face teabagged, and all the trees in the yard poisoned...

Now, that's a RIVALRY.*

FIFY

confucius say
05-22-2016, 08:47 PM
My online response to the article - too long, yes, but I hated his "conspiracy" strawman and wanted to take it apart.

-------------------
This non-apology is about what I would expect given the circumstances. It sets up and shoots down a strawman, passes the blame, and avoids the real issue.

"Conspiracy" is a strong word and assuredly not the case. I don't think many State fans seriously believe the C-L staff is sitting in a back room plotting against State. The reality, though, is that it doesn't take a conspiracy for the paper to exhibit bias. Yes, it would be asinine to consciously and openly plot to undermine a large fan base. Nobody could keep that secret anyway. But it's a false dichotomy to dismiss the problem because it's not a "conspiracy."

The issue here is that it doesn't have to be a plot. It is the cumulative effect of small decisions, consistently made over a long time, that results in the bias in question. The same idea, frankly, applies to the left-leaning tilt of most U.S. newspapers and broadcast news outlets. The idea that it's a formal conspiracy is a rather exaggerated and outlandish claim, easily disputed and mocked, and therefore dismissed. But the real issue is that there are hundreds or thousands of reporters and editors and writers and producers and anchors and directors making innumerable personal decisions about which story to pursue, which angle to take, and which word, which phrase, or which tone to use, ultimately choosing that which puts their favored philosophy, candidate, or institution in the best possible light. And yes, death by a thousand cuts is a real thing that requires no mass conspiracy. All it takes is just a tiny deficit of integrity on any given article in a day, or a week, or a month, or a year.

In my interaction with Mr. Hall on Twitter I granted the possibility that the anti-MSU bias at the Clarion-Ledger was so embedded that decisions resulting in differences in how two schools are covered might be unconscious. But that doesn't mean the bias isn't real, only that the biased folks don't notice it. His response to me was simply to tell me that I'm only seeing what supports "my narrative." He closed that by saying, definitively, that "there is no bias" against either school. The obvious logical problem is this: how would a biased source know this in order to make such a definitive denial?

I contend that his claim that "there is no bias" is simply another narrative about which Hall, Kellenberger, and others will, as I was accused by Mr. Hall, only see what they believe supports it. The difference between their bias and mine is that they have a newspaper for theirs and operate under the pretense that they won't be biased.

It's not "my narrative" to notice that the Clarion-Ledger has been caught with its fly down. My own bias for narratives about zippers or buttons notwithstanding, all I can do is tell them its open. It's up to them to zip it.

Spot on. Well articulated.

smootness
05-22-2016, 08:47 PM
You guys care WAY too much about that paper.

smootness
05-22-2016, 08:51 PM
"Conspiracy" is a strong word and assuredly not the case. I don't think many State fans seriously believe the C-L staff is sitting in a back room plotting against State.

I think you're wrong.

jbjones
05-22-2016, 08:53 PM
He has to work with them. He wants to be accepted by them. Who knows, maybe he married one. Whatever the case, from the outside it looks like he just wants to be invited to someone's Grove tent, State fan or not.

Maybe...I read through a lot of twitter stuff from him. I'm kind of confused. From what I understand, the CL is a subsidiary of some larger company. So, they're corporate-owned. That would explain the "Nashville generated headline". Please ignore if this idea has been posted before; I've been offline all weekend.

If so, there's even more of a reason to run them out of the state. Get a LOCAL business with LOCAL MISSISSIPPIANS running the business and maybe this shit won't happen any more.
Again...I could be totally off, This is what I'm thinking after a slew of reading (and it was a lot of reading all of the traffic! Well done Dawgs!).

MagicDawg
05-22-2016, 08:59 PM
I think you're wrong.

Frankly, I was trying to be generous on a smaller point for the sake of the overall argument I was making.

Point taken, though.

confucius say
05-22-2016, 09:00 PM
Sam:
1. If there is not a conscious, or subconscious, effort to prop up Mississippi over miss state, then you have the worst staff in journalism.

2. You acknowledged the "narrative" that there is bias. You obviously have heard the complaints and feel it has become a big enough issue to merit that drivel.

3. This is not an isolated incident. Your sports editor and Mississippi beat writer agreed to sit down with bjork in February for an "exclusive" (your word) and were told, admittedly, that their questions would not be answered. Rather, he had some points he wanted to get out and you idiots allowed that to happen by printing it. That is laughable and embarrassing. You were his mouthpiece. Any self respecting journalist who gets an "exclusive" with someone under that kind of heat would stop the interview and walk out if they were told their questions would not be answered.

4. Rosebowl is on record as saying he sat down with your staff and gave you names and dates well before January and was told "we are too busy to pursue this." If that's true, heads should roll.

Irondawg
05-22-2016, 09:03 PM
Here's the deal though. That headline probably cost them a fair amount of money. We haven't won it since 89. It's a big deal. That's a memorabilia paper and they probably sold a lot less newspapers because of the headline. Not sure how many people are framing that one and hanging it up.

spiral
05-22-2016, 09:04 PM
Ok. Just to recap the "apology":
Blah. Blah. Blah.
We are not to blame. An SEC championship with arguably the greatest depth of top ranked teams only allows us to use off site help in Nashville who does not understand what it takes to win in baseball or that Ole Miss and MSU are rivals.

Furthermore, we don?t proof Sunday edition headlines. They are just too small for us to notice and no one reads them anyway.

?sorry?

tireddawg
05-22-2016, 09:05 PM
Sam Hall is full of shit. Period

Leroy Jenkins
05-22-2016, 09:07 PM
So the defense is "we are not biased, we are incompetent"?

gtowndawg
05-22-2016, 09:33 PM
So the defense is "we are not biased, we are incompetent"?

They can play this one off an incompentence, but turning a blind eye to the Ole Miss investigation is blantely obvious to me all the way up here in Memphis. It's a bush league paper with a bush league sports editor. Thst why I won't click their links, read their articles or follow any of them on social media. End of story.

Pinto
05-22-2016, 09:51 PM
Will the CL print a retraction tomorrow? I doubt it but if they are serious, they should do a full page apology/congratulations to the baseball team. A blurb will not cut it.

Todd4State
05-22-2016, 10:14 PM
Will the CL print a retraction tomorrow? I doubt it but if they are serious, they should do a full page apology/congratulations to the baseball team. A blurb will not cut it.

I agree and I hate to say this about anyone but Kellenberger should be fired over this.

If I was Scott I would strip their access until an apology is issued and Kellenberger is fired.

Goldendawg
05-22-2016, 10:19 PM
What is also so bad about this is that so many members of Elitedawgs predicted that a headline like this would happen in our thread the night before! That itself shows that we have seen and read their bias time after time. I will never buy their paper again. The only time I read is when they give you 10 free articles to try to get you to pay for on-line access. I will never do that.

defiantdog
05-22-2016, 11:08 PM
The Furlough Ledger is a complete joke. The editors involved should be fired for incompetency. No way should they have let this headline through if they were looking for an OBJECTIVE story. They wonder why they can't keep employees. ****in idiots.

Jack Lambert
05-22-2016, 11:29 PM
Pretty much everything that needed to be said in this thread has so all I want to add is my own personal "**** YOU CLARION LEDGER". I know you out there and your writers are reading this.

ScoobaDawg
05-22-2016, 11:30 PM
Here's the deal though. That headline probably cost them a fair amount of money. We haven't won it since 89. It's a big deal. That's a memorabilia paper and they probably sold a lot less newspapers because of the headline. Not sure how many people are framing that one and hanging it up.

Meanwhile MSU has a FREE poster for MSU fans to save and print out...

I just saw the SEE CHAMPIONS2B and had to laugh as it's an obvious swipe at the clarion ledger by putting it at a play on a newspaper when It's just Bob's blog article.

http://www.hailstate.com/fls/16800/pdf/bb/bb_2016secchamps_poster.pdf

PassInterference
05-23-2016, 12:42 AM
At the end it says "See CHAMPIONS 2B". Like its a newspaper page.

BulldogBacker
05-23-2016, 02:58 AM
Please note, that practically the precise language used by the Clarion-Ledger was PREDICTED by State fans on this and other sports message board forums. They knew our SEC Conference Championship would be minimized by Sam Hall's people, especially Kellenberger, who has been died red and blue all his life. We have been getting the shaft from the Clarion-Ledger so long, we know when it is coming!

AROB44
05-23-2016, 05:42 AM
If Sam Hall really is a State fan, he is a pretty miserable example of one.

I seen it dawg
05-23-2016, 05:55 AM
**** that guy

lastmajordog
05-23-2016, 07:07 AM
Sam Hall is a good, very likable man, worked with him for a short time. He indeed is a State fan, his reply is up for debate and may have been pressured to do so by upper management....I don't know. I've destroyed some of his liberal ideas in discussions before but he IS intelligent and a really good guy, I will vouch for that. It is HILLARiOUS that ED had an entire thread PREDICTING what would happen a day before. AS I've said, if this is from UNM journalist influence .....the UNM Journalism school needs to be shut down and MSU start a REAL journalism school.

lastmajordog
05-23-2016, 07:11 AM
Sam:
1. If there is not a conscious, or subconscious, effort to prop up Mississippi over miss state, then you have the worst staff in journalism.

2. You acknowledged the "narrative" that there is bias. You obviously have heard the complaints and feel it has become a big enough issue to merit that drivel.

3. This is not an isolated incident. Your sports editor and Mississippi beat writer agreed to sit down with bjork in February for an "exclusive" (your word) and were told, admittedly, that their questions would not be answered. Rather, he had some points he wanted to get out and you idiots allowed that to happen by printing it. That is laughable and embarrassing. You were his mouthpiece. Any self respecting journalist who gets an "exclusive" with someone under that kind of heat would stop the interview and walk out if they were told their questions would not be answered.

4. Rosebowl is on record as saying he sat down with your staff and gave you names and dates well before January and was told "we are too busy to pursue this." If that's true, heads should roll.

Excellent post.....

Bamboo
05-23-2016, 07:42 AM
Sam Hall is a good, very likable man, worked with him for a short time. He indeed is a State fan, his reply is up for debate and may have been pressured to do so by upper management....I don't know. I've destroyed some of his liberal ideas in discussions before but he IS intelligent and a really good guy, I will vouch for that. It is HILLARiOUS that ED had an entire thread PREDICTING what would happen a day before. AS I've said, if this is from UNM journalist influence .....the UNM Journalism school needs to be shut down and MSU start a REAL journalism school.

I believe he really is that lazy and incompetent. He probably knows his time is short at that paper and really isn't giving a shit anymore.
But, I would not hire a guy with character traits like Sam's.

redstickdawg
05-23-2016, 07:55 AM
What if anything is in the Clarion Rebel this morning about this issue? I don't click on their crap unless I have to.

Dawgology
05-23-2016, 08:10 AM
What if anything is in the Clarion Rebel this morning about this issue? I don't click on their crap unless I have to.

I'm sure that he will be fired for the headline and Kellenburger (a TRUE rebel) will be made head editor....

TrapGame
05-23-2016, 08:56 AM
Sam:

BRAVO!!!

http://rs1096.pbsrc.com/albums/g322/Sugarsandrainbows/GIFs/bravo.gif~c200

fishwater99
05-23-2016, 09:17 AM

Sam went to Millsaps... Howdo you know he is a State fan?

Reason2succeed
05-23-2016, 09:17 AM
Somebody email David Brandt and ESPN. This type of BS is an important sports story. When the newspaper for a rivalry state like Mississippi to make repeated "mistakes" in covering the two SEC teams, heads should roll.

I agree with everything Confuscious Says said.

Along with OM's cheating scandal this could open up an entire can of worms for the sports corruption that OM has had on their side for years.

Political Hack
05-23-2016, 01:04 PM
While the apology is a good start, they don't get a mulligan on ignoring the NCAA's 3 year investigation of Ole Miss.