PDA

View Full Version : Sticky: All Companies that Advertise with the Clarion Ledger go here

Political Hack
05-22-2016, 11:50 AM
And we no longer support those businesses. It's time to force a change.

Please post here a list of companies that have static ads with the CL. And for those of us who are serious about this, we will no longer support those businesses. It's time to quit bitching about it and do something about it. Our 3 million hits a month on this site should help raise awareness.

ILOATHEBears
05-22-2016, 12:06 PM

Please post here a list of companies that have static ads with the CL. And for those of us who are serious about this, we will no longer support those businesses. It's time to quit bitching about it and do something about it. Our 3 million hits a month on this site should help raise awareness.

What did they write about us today? I refuse to read the rag.

ScottH
05-22-2016, 12:08 PM
Online or print or both?

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-22-2016, 12:12 PM
I like this idea. I saw the light months ago and haven't missed the CL one damn bit.

Dallas_Dawg
05-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Cannon Motorz, City Grocery, and Square Books ***

smootness
05-22-2016, 12:38 PM
We're going to try to hurt companies because they buy ad space in a paper that wrote, "Mississippi State wins SEC with win, A&M loss"?

ShotgunDawg
05-22-2016, 12:41 PM
We're going to try to hurt companies because they buy ad space in a paper that wrote, "Mississippi State wins SEC with win, A&M loss"?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjD88TrUUAATlEi.jpg

Bully13
05-22-2016, 12:43 PM
Bulldogs SEC Champions would have been the right thing to do. Those pieces of shit would not have shared the headline with another team had it been the confeds

Saltydog
05-22-2016, 12:45 PM
however will be critics among us stating, "some of the companies that advertise with them are MSU folks, etc.".......

The other thing is, at least for the time being, there'll be a lot of hits to the JCL from people on this page looking to see who advertises with them. That's a necessary evil however.

confucius say
05-22-2016, 01:07 PM

Yea that's what I predicted the headline would be. Figures. I have not been on the anti cl rant like many in here, but I'm leaning that way now

Political Hack
05-22-2016, 01:10 PM

No. We're going to do this because they're financially supporting a paper that continues to spit in the face of Miss State and ignore damning news for Ole Miss.

That said, this isn't a debate. If you want to help, help. If you don't, don't.

Digital media isn't the same as print. Static ads are the target here. Digital media could be coming from group put chasing that just ends up on the CL. If it's a local company it's likely a direct purchase through CL however.

ScoobaDawg
05-22-2016, 01:15 PM

Is this the main story. Meaning this is C-1. Is there another story above the fold with a picture of the game?

ScoobaDawg
05-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Online or print or both?

Print only. Digital ads online are based on your browsing history a lot of time, in fact they use Taboola. I had to turn off my Ad Block to check.

Dawg61
05-22-2016, 01:33 PM

No we are forcing change. Long time coming now.

ScoobaDawg
05-22-2016, 01:34 PM
Simple fact. Guys.. don't buy the paper every day. HELL Don't buy it at all there are free copies all around places.
BUT For this to work someone has to copy down the advertisers in the print edition.
If you for some reason have a digital subscription you can view the digital edition.
If you are going to Boycott a business you need to make sure you mention why you won't do business with them anymore.
Hell show them a copy of this article... That says enough. THAT HEADLINE WAS WRITTEN BY AN EDITOR. More than likely hugh kellenberger

IMissJack
05-22-2016, 01:48 PM
What the CL needs is competition. I would love to see someone start a completely online "newspaper" to cover all of the State of MS, in a professional way. Paper newspapers are going out of business all over the country. You would think that with the number of MSU and USM fans in the state, it could be successful.

ScoobaDawg
05-22-2016, 02:02 PM
If someone makes a list. One of us will post a sticky thread but yall can discuss whatever about the companies and the CL in this thread.

parabrave
05-22-2016, 02:07 PM
What the CL needs is competition. I would love to see someone start a completely online "newspaper" to cover all of the State of MS, in a professional way. Paper newspapers are going out of business all over the country. You would think that with the number of MSU and USM fans in the state, it could be successful.

What? You mean something like AL.Com. which most people will tell you covers the Alabama schools pretty evenly.

Political Hack
05-22-2016, 02:36 PM
If someone makes a list. One of us will post a sticky thread but yall can discuss whatever about the companies and the CL in this thread.

It's worth buying a Sunday paper just to get a list. Today would be a great day to pull from.

CadaverDawg
05-22-2016, 02:42 PM

Hell yes, you know I'm in. I've been trying to get people's attention about this shit and start some action for months. This is the way to force change. Thanks, Hack

Bully13
05-22-2016, 02:50 PM
Is this the main story. Meaning this is C-1. Is there another story above the fold with a picture of the game?

If someone could answer that question it would be great. Any other details on other headlines?

Dawg496
05-22-2016, 02:59 PM
Why didn't they thank one of the other teams that gave A&M one of their other 9 SEC losses? They are equally to thank. Actually any SEC team that beat another SEC team is to thank since we had to have the best record in the league to win.

**** the C-L.

shannondawg
05-22-2016, 03:04 PM
There was a post on Facebook that had a twitter from Kellenberger apologizing for that headline, saying they were looking into how that happened. They were calling for a boycott of the CL and in the post they put the photo of Kellenberger's tweet.

That don't make it right tho. I've been thru with them for sometime now.

CadaverDawg
05-22-2016, 03:14 PM
If someone could answer that question it would be great. Any other details on other headlines?

It was the main headline on the Sports page. That was it. Is that what y'all are asking?

starkvegasdawg
05-22-2016, 03:16 PM
There was a post on Facebook that had a twitter from Kellenberger apologizing for that headline, saying they were looking into how that happened. They were calling for a boycott of the CL and in the post they put the photo of Kellenberger's tweet.

That don't make it right tho. I've been thru with them for sometime now.

They were looking into how it happened? They KNOW how it happened. This investigation will be about as exhaustive as the one that looked into the football team at that play.

DogsofAnarchy
05-22-2016, 03:25 PM
I agree 100% Hack. It's long overdue. It has taken me and several other Bulldogs over 20 years to make the blind and naive dogs realize that the CL has held us back. Coach JWS knew it and most of us have too since the mid 80's.

QUOTE=Political Hack;558510]And we no longer support those businesses. It's time to force a change.

Please post here a list of companies that have static ads with the CL. And for those of us who are serious about this, we will no longer support those businesses. It's time to quit bitching about it and do something about it. Our 3 million hits a month on this site should help raise awareness.[/QUOTE]

Bucky Dog
05-22-2016, 03:39 PM
I asked this in another thread. What would the conversation had been if OM had one the first game on Thursday and lost the last two and we still swept??

BulldogBear
05-22-2016, 03:49 PM
So sick of this crap. Won't report on the huge news going on with Ole Miss investigation and then we win the dadgum SEC and they practically act like Ole Miss won it or let us win it at the very least. We beat them 3 out of 4 but they still report like Ole Miss is the Big Noise in baseball this season. Screw Ole Miss and their Toilet Paper roll of a newspaper.

Bucky Dog
05-22-2016, 03:58 PM
Here is a quick list of the larger ads today and ones I've seen consistently. There are many other smaller ads as well. I was surprised not to see Miskelly in the paper today.

St. Dominic Hospital
Shoe Station
MS Iron Works
Hobby Lobby
Cannon Motors
Capitol City Motors
Swain Automotive
Pearl River Resort
The Back Store
Green Oak Nursery
The Clarion Ledger itself with self promotion
There were also local realtors and some other that sponsored the MS Prep Awards section so we will let them slide for now.

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Here is what I think needs to happen if y'all want the result you're seeking.

Boycotting the newspaper and not spending 50 cents or looking at their online site is not going to put the C-L out of business. That is not where they make their money. They make their money by selling advertising to businesses. If the businesses stop buying ads, that is what is going to impact their pocketbook.

And instead of just boycotting the businesses, I think the first step would be to put together a plan to notify the businesses why we are upset and ask them to consider pulling their advertising from the C-L. I don't think threatening them right off the bat is a good idea or will get the result you want. This is where the fan sites of MSU come into play. If you're serious about carrying this through, it is going to take the cooperation of all MSU fansites working in unison to pull this off. I don't think you can get the results you are wanting by just saying on EliteDawgs to stop buying from the businesses that buy ads in the C-L. First off, I don't have a C-L in front of me and don't intend on having one, so I don't know who has ads in the paper today. And if you list them here today, by Tuesday I won't remember a 1/3 of them. This is going to take some doing if you really, really want to impact the C-L. It is going to take some work on a few people's parts to make it happen.

I think the first step needs to just be informing the businesses of what you are doing, why you are doing it, and asking them to comply to your request, which will be to pull their advertising from the C-L. And I think this first step should be in the form of a letter to the business itself.

The letter can include a picture of the headline, along with a note saying the MSU fanbase is upset with the way the state's largest newspaper reports on its sports teams and the bias that we believe to exist between schools in the state. It can go on to list the businesses that had an advertisement in today's paper, including the name of the business that is receiving the letter. It can say a campaign has begun and that we ask that businesses not buy advertising in the future. You can also say that the paper will be monitored going forward and a deadline has been established for them to pull their ads from the C-L. The businesses that continue to buy ads after this date will be included in a list forwarded to the major online fan sites of MSU fans for them to boycott these businesses that continue to advertise and support the C-L. If you want, you can tell them the number of hits these fan sites generate on a monthly basis and give them an idea of how many people will be seeing the list of businesses.

If they continue to buy advertising, you could even send them a second letter informing them that they have been included on the list that will be included on all of the MSU fansites going forward.

Like I said, if you really want to make an impact on a business such as the C-L, you have to hit them where it will make a financial difference to them. They could care less about all the tweets they are getting today and the like. Matter of fact they look at it as a good thing, no pun intended. It just justifies how many people are seeing today's article.

If you're serious, it is going to take some doing to make an impact on them.

AlmostPositive
05-22-2016, 05:21 PM
I think a boycott action would have a reasonable chance of convincing the CL that Hugh "More-Chins-Than-a-Chinese-PhoneBook" K-burger is more trouble than he's worth.

In any case, the issue is far beyond a dubious headline... journalistic favoritism is worse than no news coverage at all.

Bully13
05-22-2016, 05:29 PM
It was the main headline on the Sports page. That was it. Is that what y'all are asking?

Yes. Thank you

Behrdawg
05-22-2016, 05:34 PM
I quit reading the Clarion Ledger. I prefer to get my news from a more reliable source, so I read "the onion".

MagicDawg
05-22-2016, 05:36 PM
Tweeted to HK:
This morning's absurd headline -- arguably "true," but crafted to emphasize one single element of a story they want to tell and to mention a group they want to include in someone else's hard-earned spotlight -- epitomizes the overt and longstanding pro-Ole Miss, anti-Mississippi State bias at the Clarion-Ledger. It also explains their selective attention to investigative reporting on other issues.
This incident illustrates again how some writers and editors can and will slant stories on any topic for their own purposes. Notably, since State would have been SEC Champions even if the Rebels had lost, sharing the title with Texas A&M, the headline was arguably more false than true.
The sorriest thing about this is the editor?s apparent belief that his apology will be taken any more seriously than his deteriorating newspaper.
https://t.co/HCD95yVbzl

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjGDHJuWEAAEyY3.jpg

BeastMan
05-22-2016, 05:40 PM
Let me voice an opinion in this thread: Boycotting businesses over sports is stupid as hell. You want to make your voice made to the CL don't subscribe, buy a single, or click an articke. Contact Sam Hall or Hugh Kellenberger. Attacking businesses who advertise with the paper is ridiculous. Y'all realize there are small business owners, some are Bulldog supporters I'm sure, who don't give one single shit about sports? Step back for a second. Boycotting businesses over sports is psycho shit the Spirit does. Leave that shit to the spirit and Chuck. I don't care if my response is the extreme minority. I don't care if I'm the only one. Putting people's livelihood on this page to be screwed with is ridiculous.

whosyourdawgy
05-22-2016, 05:43 PM
What needs to happen is for every Bulldog to unfollow Hugh, Bonner, and whoever else that we follow from the Clarion Ledger on Twitter and whatever we do, DO NOT CLICK on their stories. It's gonna suck for Bonner but if nobody reads their stories on us online and gives them clicks, that's the only way to get a point across. That or Scott Stricklin deny their asses media credentials to sporting events. MSU doesn't have to have the Clarion Ledger but the Clarion Ledger needs MSU. My take.

AlmostPositive
05-22-2016, 05:51 PM
The Clarion Ledger slants its straight news coverage. Why would they draw the line at sports?

There is a larger principle at stake here... the CL will do the right thing if they are forced to, not otherwise.

(By the way, the bias was far worse back in the olden days....)

War Machine Dawg
05-22-2016, 05:51 PM
What needs to happen is for every Bulldog to unfollow Hugh, Bonner, and whoever else that we follow from the Clarion Ledger on Twitter and whatever we do, DO NOT CLICK on their stories. It's gonna suck for Bonner but if nobody reads their stories on us online and gives them clicks, that's the only way to get a point across. That or Scott Stricklin deny their asses media credentials to sporting events. MSU doesn't have to have the Clarion Ledger but the Clarion Ledger needs MSU. My take.

I've beens asking for this for years. Revoke the CL's media credentials and access to our program. That sends the message loud and clear. Unfortunately, Grasshopper doesn't have the balls to do it.

Apoplectic
05-22-2016, 06:31 PM
Let me voice an opinion in this thread: Boycotting businesses over sports is stupid as hell. You want to make your voice made to the CL don't subscribe, buy a single, or click an articke. Contact Sam Hall or Hugh Kellenberger. Attacking businesses who advertise with the paper is ridiculous. Y'all realize there are small business owners, some are Bulldog supporters I'm sure, who don't give one single shit about sports? Step back for a second. Boycotting businesses over sports is psycho shit the Spirit does. Leave that shit to the spirit and Chuck. I don't care if my response is the extreme minority. I don't care if I'm the only one. Putting people's livelihood on this page to be screwed with is ridiculous.

Disagree - if there are MSU fans supporting this rag then they should know.

Taog Redloh
05-22-2016, 06:35 PM

Yep....this^^^

The Clarion Ledger is the only media we really have in MS, thus this is why no one will boycott. You are going to have to nut up, make a sacrifice, ie going without media for a while, and then force another entity to come in and compete with them. You'll need a statewide entity to do it, too. AL.com was a good example.

Un-follow their beat writers and don't read their paper. Follow the other local news sources if you need Jackson news, like WLBT or whatever. You can find plenty of MSU coverage from our own people.

drunkernhelldawg
05-22-2016, 06:42 PM
Yep....this^^^

The Clarion Ledger is the only media we really have in MS, thus this is why no one will boycott. You are going to have to nut up, make a sacrifice, ie going without media for a while, and then force another entity to come in and compete with them. You'll need a statewide entity to do it, too. AL.com was a good example.

Un-follow their beat writers and don't read their paper. Follow the other local news sources if you need Jackson news, like WLBT or whatever. You can find plenty of MSU coverage from our own people.

Well said. it's unfortunate that we don't have a livelier, more competitive media, but that is the situation we're in.

Dawg496
05-22-2016, 07:10 PM
The Clan-Ledger can die even more quickly as far as I'm concerned.

AlmostPositive
05-22-2016, 07:11 PM
Looking forward to buying the last issue ...

War Machine Dawg
05-22-2016, 07:16 PM
Allow me to add: Everyone tweet, email or call Scott Stricklin and ask him when he is going to revoke the CL's media credentials. It's time to play hardball with them and prove who really needs who. Once they lose their access for a while, they'll either come crawling back and play nice or they'll stick to their guns and die faster. Either way, State wins. But it starts with us taking the initiative to put pressure on Stricklin to get their media credentials revoked.

redstickdawg
05-22-2016, 07:51 PM
Allow me to add: Everyone tweet, email or call Scott Stricklin and ask him when he is going to revoke the CL's media credentials. It's time to play hardball with them and prove who really needs who. Once they lose their access for a while, they'll either come crawling back and play nice or they'll stick to their guns and die faster. Either way, State wins. But it starts with us taking the initiative to put pressure on Stricklin to get their media credentials revoked.

It is hard to argue that if they are left covering the regional and possible super regional from the stands would send a much needed message. Hit the where it hurts, Stricklin and Keenum need to let them know ASAP, that this is ridiculous.

What will be the headline tomorrow when TSUN releases a propaganda piece about the NOA? "Bulldogs dreams are dashed as TSUN proves allegations wrong"?

drunkernhelldawg
05-22-2016, 08:26 PM

I'd say there's zero chance of Strickland doing this although he may win some concessions from them. How much of this outcry is the headline and how much of it is frustration over coverage of the NCAA investigation of Ole Miss? Wondering because the headline didn't bother much since a lot of our own focus was on the Aggies dropping a game to open the door for our Outright Championship.

War Machine Dawg
05-22-2016, 08:36 PM
I'd say there's zero chance of Strickland doing this although he may win some concessions from them. How much of this outcry is the headline and how much of it is frustration over coverage of the NCAA investigation of Ole Miss? Wondering because the headline didn't bother much since a lot of our own focus was on the Aggies dropping a game to open the door for our Outright Championship.

It has zero to do with this headline or the UM investigation. It's cumulative. The CL has been this way as long as I can remember and I'm in my mid-30s. It's just that for myself and many others, this is the final straw. We win the first outright SEC Championship in nearly 30 years and have our headline hijacked by the Bears. Enough is enough. It's time to play hardball and push back. Either the CL starts treating us with respect or they die faster than they already are. It's just that simple for me.

And allow me to add: We should start lobbying Dr. Keenum as well. If Scott doesn't have the balls to make it happen, then we go over his head. If he has the backing of Dr. Keenum, maybe he'll be more willing to take the hit.

TUSK
05-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Dan, Ben & John could end this tomorrow...

smootness
05-22-2016, 08:49 PM

Thank you. This is what I was getting at.

Let me add - who gives a crap what the paper writes? So they mentioned Ole Miss in connection with our SEC title...does that take away from our title? Nope. We won it, and they didn't. Let it go.

State82
05-22-2016, 08:57 PM

Preakness was at very top of the page

ILOATHEBears
05-22-2016, 09:32 PM
Preakness was at very top of the page

Yeah that makes sense. Top story about a horse race cause Mississippi is full of billionaire horse racing enthusiast. While 16 sec baseball titles have been won in this state 11 of 16 by MSU. Just shows how out of touch this paper is with the people of the state. Just some quick research shows 61% of our 20k+ students a year are from MS while NMU only has 44% in state enrollment of their 22k. So in a year MSU has 12,000 home grown students compared to 9,000 at NMU yet the paper is catered to bow ties and boat shoe douche bags. Know your customer clarion liar.

AlmostPositive
05-22-2016, 09:51 PM
Clarion Liar
Crayon Illegible
Carrion Lesion

...whatever you call it, I look forward to buying the last issue.

Pinto
05-22-2016, 10:09 PM
State could do without the CL. We have Bob Carskadon(sp?) and he writes much better articles. Plus other media outlets would pick up. Let the CL whine and complain, it will only look bad with the current situation.

Reason2succeed
05-22-2016, 10:26 PM
I agree with sending letters to businesses and MSU administration. Along with that should be a petition campaign. By collecting a ton of signatures we can show the buying power that MSU fans have. Also, don't just stop at MSU fans. There are ton of people including USM, SWAC fans, and others who will probably sign on to getting a more balanced and professional newspaper.

Political Hack
05-22-2016, 10:40 PM
Here is what I think needs to happen if y'all want the result you're seeking.

Boycotting the newspaper and not spending 50 cents or looking at their online site is not going to put the C-L out of business. That is not where they make their money. They make their money by selling advertising to businesses. If the businesses stop buying ads, that is what is going to impact their pocketbook.

And instead of just boycotting the businesses, I think the first step would be to put together a plan to notify the businesses why we are upset and ask them to consider pulling their advertising from the C-L. I don't think threatening them right off the bat is a good idea or will get the result you want. This is where the fan sites of MSU come into play. If you're serious about carrying this through, it is going to take the cooperation of all MSU fansites working in unison to pull this off. I don't think you can get the results you are wanting by just saying on EliteDawgs to stop buying from the businesses that buy ads in the C-L. First off, I don't have a C-L in front of me and don't intend on having one, so I don't know who has ads in the paper today. And if you list them here today, by Tuesday I won't remember a 1/3 of them. This is going to take some doing if you really, really want to impact the C-L. It is going to take some work on a few people's parts to make it happen.

I think the first step needs to just be informing the businesses of what you are doing, why you are doing it, and asking them to comply to your request, which will be to pull their advertising from the C-L. And I think this first step should be in the form of a letter to the business itself.

The letter can include a picture of the headline, along with a note saying the MSU fanbase is upset with the way the state's largest newspaper reports on its sports teams and the bias that we believe to exist between schools in the state. It can go on to list the businesses that had an advertisement in today's paper, including the name of the business that is receiving the letter. It can say a campaign has begun and that we ask that businesses not buy advertising in the future. You can also say that the paper will be monitored going forward and a deadline has been established for them to pull their ads from the C-L. The businesses that continue to buy ads after this date will be included in a list forwarded to the major online fan sites of MSU fans for them to boycott these businesses that continue to advertise and support the C-L. If you want, you can tell them the number of hits these fan sites generate on a monthly basis and give them an idea of how many people will be seeing the list of businesses.

If they continue to buy advertising, you could even send them a second letter informing them that they have been included on the list that will be included on all of the MSU fansites going forward.

Like I said, if you really want to make an impact on a business such as the C-L, you have to hit them where it will make a financial difference to them. They could care less about all the tweets they are getting today and the like. Matter of fact they look at it as a good thing, no pun intended. It just justifies how many people are seeing today's article.

If you're serious, it is going to take some doing to make an impact on them.

You're right. The businesses should be contacted and asked if they're willing to pull out. They also need to have a good explanation as to why. "A bad headline" isn't enough, but their continued mistreatment of the Mississippi State fanbase, including the lengths it will go to to protect Ole Miss, needs to be laid out. We're working on that too.

MSUDawg99
06-14-2016, 01:55 PM
Online or print or both?

I would think both