PDA

View Full Version : SEC Champs thoughts

Todd4State
05-22-2016, 12:36 AM
What a regular season! This team is special and they aren't done yet. We had to have some help from some others but usually I have found that as long as you win the rest tends to take care of itself. Ironic that we had to count on Ole Miss to win on the last day but it was all fun in the end. Despite last year, Cohen's track record speaks for itself and this is the type of season I envisioned when I championed for him to be hired and also why I have been pretty steadfast in supporting him.

Also congrats to the players who have worked so hard and decided that last year was unacceptable and did something about it. Wear your rings proudly and I am proud of all of them for being Bulldogs! But we're not done eating yet.

Dakota has been phenomenal the past two weeks. He gets my vote for the Ferris narrowly over Mangum. Sexton was almost as good and would be an ace on a lot of teams. That is a big thing we didn't really have last year. Between Hudson and Sexton we won 16 of our 21 SEC games. Pilkington has been very good but I think the moment may have been a little big for him tonight. He is going to learn from this going forward. Humphreys was outstanding Friday and then Rigby did a great job settling things down after Pilkington left. I think Daniel Brown got caught up in the moment some too because he was off but then Blake Smith did a great job of putting out a late rally and then finishing off the win.

Kruger was a huge addition to our team and his hitting approach is among the best on our team. It seems like every time he is up he gets a hit.

Nate Lowe has been another huge addition for us. Him heating up has given our offense a huge boost. Gavin has really come on for us both at the plate and in the field. He finds ways to get on base and as I suspected he is now up around .300.

Holland to his credit is playing much better and I thought this weekend was the best be has played all year other than maybe the Florida series. Gridley was hitting doubles every time he came up to the plate on Friday it seemed like. He is just so solid defensively. Great to hear that Hunter Stovall is practicing and looking better even though we didn't see him play.

Jake Mangum is just a badass ballplayer. Who saw him hitting over .400 in the preseason? Then he is making Sportscenter with his circus catches at two different outfield positions. Just a special player. Robson is looking better and better. He is pressuring teams again with his speed and is bunting for hits again. He is the best hunter in Canada and the SEC. Humphreys can apparently bunt well too. He hit the ball that the centerfielder dropped which blew the game open for us. Rooker has had a solid season for us and had some great at bats today which led to some rallies.

So, we are the best in the SEC for 2016!

But now we have the SEC Tournament and the good news for us is we have a National Seed locked up. So, basically we can use the tournament to try to refine ourselves and get better. We can win the SEC Tournament but the key is to avoid the loser's bracket. Getting the bye is helpful as well. We are going to try to win the SEC Tournament even though we don't have a lot at stake right now.

The interesting thing about the SEC Tournament is it simulates Omaha but it's more taxing on your staff because it is more condensed than Omaha. The other difference is you have the single elimination round which was added when the SEC expanded which was a necessity to avoid the "if you didn't make the SEC Tournament why should you make the NCAA Tournament?" argument.

Hudson and Sexton give us as good a chance to stay in the winner's bracket as anyone. Pilkington will hopefully step it up. And then we can Johnny Wholestaff the championship game.

Great night to be a Bulldog and let's enjoy this until Weds!

Hail State and we don't have no Mora excuses anymore! Cause we're the Champions of the best collegiate baseball league in America!

TaleofTwoDogs
05-22-2016, 01:17 AM
Hey Todd, do you have the starting line up by position for the last game last year compared to today's game? Just curious.

Thanks.

ScoobaDawg
05-22-2016, 02:08 AM
Hey Todd, do you have the starting line up by position for the last game last year compared to today's game? Just curious.

Thanks.

Mississippi State at Tennessee
May 16, 2015 (http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/16800/stats/bb/2015/ms0516.pdf?&&&SPSID=90857&SPID=10993&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=16800)

Jake Vickerson rf
Matthew Britton 3b
Luke Reynolds dh
Wes Rea 1b
Jacob Robson cf
John Holland 2b
Cody Brown lf
Seth Heck ss
Ryan Gridley ss
Cody Walker c
Michael Smith pr
Gavin Collins c
Austin Sexton p
Zac Houston p
Ross Mitchell p
Trevor Fitts p

basedog
05-22-2016, 07:05 AM
The "IT" is chemistry! A must for winning championships.

msbulldog
05-22-2016, 07:09 AM
Good read as usual. HAIL STATE!

maroonmania
05-22-2016, 01:14 PM
Good read. Only thing about staying out of the loser's bracket in Hoover is that you are going to see our 4th starter on Wednesday (Cyr? Houston?) and so we really have no clue how they will perform. We could easily be in the loser's bracket before Hudson, Sexton or Pilk are ready to pitch.

Commercecomet24
05-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Excellent analysis again, Todd! I fully believe that 2013 and this year is gonna be closer to the norm for Cohen than the aberration of last year. He's proved he can win at high level and I see it only continuing. We got us a winner on our hands. Hes cocky and he believes his way is the only way! And that's one of the trademarks of all elite coaches!

#HailState

Todd4State
05-22-2016, 01:41 PM
Excellent analysis again, Todd! I fully believe that 2013 and this year is gonna be closer to the norm for Cohen than the aberration of last year. He's proved he can win at high level and I see it only continuing. We got us a winner on our hands. Hes cocky and he believes his way is the only way! And that's one of the trademarks of all elite coaches!

#HailState

Thank you again and based on how Cohen has done over the course of his career plus five out of the last six seasons we can probably assume last year was an aberration.

The ironic thing to me is the one thing Cohen stood pat with last year is likely what cost us last year- and that was our pitching staff.

Todd4State
05-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Good read. Only thing about staying out of the loser's bracket in Hoover is that you are going to see our 4th starter on Wednesday (Cyr? Houston?) and so we really have no clue how they will perform. We could easily be in the loser's bracket before Hudson, Sexton or Pilk are ready to pitch.

We could. If we get in the loser's bracket we probably won't win the Tournament.

TaleofTwoDogs
05-22-2016, 02:11 PM
Thanks Scooba.