PDA

View Full Version : John Cohen

bobcat91
05-21-2016, 08:12 PM
Will be the SEC coach of the year and should be National Coach of the year. The MSU money folks need to bury the hatchet, move on from Ron Polk and give til it hurts to make the new stadium completely paid for when it opens. John is one of our, one of the best and will be here for a long, long time. Hail State.

Goldendawg
05-21-2016, 08:17 PM
And Ron Polk needs to bury his hatchet, forgive, and come home and take his rightful place in the MSU family.

Taog Redloh
05-21-2016, 08:20 PM
And Ron Polk needs to bury his hatchet, forgive, and come home and take his rightful place in the MSU family.
Ron Polk is like many of our fans....only worried about Ron Polk.

BeardoMSU
05-21-2016, 08:21 PM
Ron Polk is like many of our fans....only worried about Ron Polk.

Well said, and both sad and hilarious.

bobcat91
05-21-2016, 08:24 PM
That move is no longer in Rod's hands. When he went scorched earth against Byrne and has worked to sabotage John, it is no longer up to him. And that is sad on many levels.

AlmostPositive
05-21-2016, 08:26 PM
A call from Polk to congratulate Cohen would be the perfect ending to a storybook day.

Coach34
05-21-2016, 08:29 PM
Will be the SEC coach of the year and should be National Coach of the year. The MSU money folks need to bury the hatchet, move on from Ron Polk and give til it hurts to make the new stadium completely paid for when it opens. John is one of our, one of the best and will be here for a long, long time. Hail State.

If John would stop having losing seasons- he would help his cause. Dont act like they didnt have cause to question things. Its a great night and he responded like a Boss this year. He deserves the awards- but we just cant act like last year didnt happen

bobcat91
05-21-2016, 08:29 PM
It's not in him. His own hubris has destroyed him.

Goldendawg
05-21-2016, 08:31 PM
I agree, but I would rather use that wish on a SEC title in football soon. I still say you never rehire someone who already had a stadium named after him, a very big mistake.

Goldendawg
05-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Three outs to go!

engie
05-21-2016, 08:33 PM
Fahr coinz!!!

shoeless joe
05-21-2016, 08:35 PM
If John would stop having losing seasons- he would help his cause. Dont act like they didnt have cause to question things. Its a great night and he responded like a Boss this year. He deserves the awards- but we just cant act like last year didnt happen

National runner up and a few years later an SEC championship, hopefully followed by a deep run...Last year should be a non factor

engie
05-21-2016, 08:38 PM
C34 is a better game coach, so it will nevAr be a nonfactor

Coach34
05-21-2016, 08:40 PM
C34 is a better game coach, so it will nevAr be a nonfactor

true- but Cohen has recruited really well this year. He deserves alot of credit for that

Coach34
05-21-2016, 08:41 PM
National runner up and a few years later an SEC championship, hopefully followed by a deep run...Last year should be a non factor

wrong- every season counts

engie
05-21-2016, 08:42 PM
true- but Cohen has recruited really well this year. He deserves alot of credit for that

Glad you immortalized it into the annals of stupidity

Coach34
05-21-2016, 08:47 PM
Glad you immortalized it into the annals of stupidity

Enjoy 7 days off. When we were last in the SEC last year- your ass was nowhere to be found. Cohen gets credit for rebounding- but losing seasons at State in baseball arent allowed to happen. He responded this year and Bulldog nation is happy. Great night

MarketingBully
05-21-2016, 08:50 PM
I want to win with Cohen. He is from MSU and bleeds maroon and white. I didn't think he could get done what he just did but I will eat my crow wholeheartedly! He accomplished an overall SEC championship and a national seed. I'm convinced he is our guy!

turkish
05-21-2016, 08:51 PM
If anyone is still unsure whether Coach is more worried about MSU's success or looking "right," your answer is in this thread.

Cohen went all-in on building a team to win it all. He was nat'l runner-up. They changed the rules on him and he needed a one off year to get back on track. Ill 17n take it.

No Mora excuses, indeed.

Coach34
05-21-2016, 08:53 PM
If anyone is still unsure whether Coach is more worried about MSU's success or looking "right," your answer is in this thread.

I dont understand this post- I spent 5 years defending Cohen against the Polk supporters. So please clarify what you mean, We had a losing season last year and were literally one of the SEC's worst teams. ******* awful. Please clarify

I didnt say Cohen would fail this year- I said there were no excuses left for not getting it done

turkish
05-21-2016, 08:57 PM
We just won the SEC for the first time in 27 years and you still are saying "BUT LAST YEAR we sucked..." What is unclear about that?

Wait a week, dude.

JohnnyQuid
05-21-2016, 09:02 PM

I didn't enjoy last season at all - was miserable. I just felt like it was really early to talk about firing a guy. John cohen wants to win at mississippi state more than anyone and we'd be hard pressed to find a better man for the job.

I'm sure there were drunken moments that I said dumb shit about him last year out of frustration. either way I'm glad he turned things around, I know every bulldog is.

Coach34
We just won the SEC for the first time in 27 years and you still are saying "BUT LAST YEAR we sucked..."

Let me guess. Still not clear?

Tonight is awesome. Last year still happened. Worst to 1st. Great story. You not clear?

shoeless joe
I'll take an abberation of a season once in a while if championships also come along...some folks apparently prefer 16-14 SEC records with maybe a host or a super.

Kinda funny that it one sport mediocrity and consistency isn't good enough...but in another sport it's "where the program should be". Never knew we were a basketball school.

Dawg61
05-21-2016, 09:04 PM
Hi I just wanted to post in the thread Engie got banned in. Lol

turkish
05-21-2016, 09:07 PM
Tonight is awesome. Last year still happened.
Listen. You are RIGHT. But, the fact that you're still exaggerating that TONIGHT on an MSU board proves my point about your priorities.

#nomoraexcuses

Mutt the Hoople
05-21-2016, 09:08 PM

That little troll acted like a spoiled baby. MSU baseball was good before him, it's great now, and it'll be great in the future. I wish we'd tear his name off our stadium.

ILOATHEBears
05-21-2016, 09:10 PM

Class act move by Cohen during the post game interview he acknowledged Polk and his legacy. Hopefully this season can heal some deep wounds

Dolphus Raymond
05-21-2016, 09:11 PM
Get the new stadium built ASAP and move on.

redstickdawg
05-21-2016, 09:13 PM
Class act move by Cohen during the post game interview he acknowledged Polk and his legacy. Hopefully this season can heal some deep wounds

I saw that as a call for Polk to bury the hatchet , the ball is in his court. Cohen congratulated Polk when he really didn't have to even mention him. Obviously John has forgiven, now it is time for Polk to do the same.

smootness
05-21-2016, 09:14 PM
I saw that as a call for Polk to bury the hatchet , the ball is in his court. Cohen congratulated Polk when he really didn't have to even mention him. Obviously John has forgiven, now it is time for Polk to do the same.

The thing is, there's nothing for Polk to even forgive. He started all of it.

bobcat91
05-21-2016, 09:17 PM
This is a great night for MSU, MSU baseball and this team that worked it's ass off and won a title. This thread is about now and our future, not our past. Those who need to get on the bandwagon, there is room. Time foe everyone who wears maroon and white to come together, quit pointing fingers and start making this a yearly event. The money folks who have sat on their ass, it's time. Either you are a Dawg or not. If not get the hell out. You have no more excuses

redstickdawg
05-21-2016, 09:18 PM

I totally agree, should have written forget and not forgive. That is the real deal, he needs to realize that MSU Baseball is more than Polk, even though he is a big part of our history. I don't know that he is a capable of this but I would love to see it.

JohnnyQuid
05-21-2016, 09:18 PM

I feel like this has been the university's attitude the entire time. never heard cohen talk bad about Polk or anyone involved with msu for that matter. he's just stubborn and refuses to be involved from all I can tell

JohnnyQuid
05-21-2016, 09:20 PM
I totally agree, should have written forget and not forgive. That is the real deal, he needs to realize that MSU Baseball is more than Polk, even though he is a big part of our history. I don't know that he is a capable of this but I would love to see it.

He WAS msu baseball to me for a large part of my life - between him and pat mc. now I sorta don't care, no time for grown ass man drama queen.

Bully13
05-21-2016, 09:22 PM
A call from Polk to congratulate Cohen would be the perfect ending to a storybook day.

Unfortunately, Polk has a few female dna chromosomes. Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn. We will see no apology from Polk because he lacks male intestinal fortitude. It's time we admit his actions tell the story. It is what it is. I'd much prefer it not to be that way but it is.

GTHOM
05-21-2016, 09:23 PM

Come on man not tonight

Coach34
05-21-2016, 09:24 PM
This is a great night for MSU, MSU baseball and this team that worked it's ass off and won a title. This thread is about now and our future, not our past. Those who need to get on the bandwagon, there is room. Time foe everyone who wears maroon and white to come together, quit pointing fingers and start making this a yearly event. The money folks who have sat on their ass, it's time. Either you are a Dawg or not. If not get the hell out. You have no more excuses

I totally agree with this. Cohen answered the bell in a big way. Build the damn stadium

turkish
05-21-2016, 09:28 PM
Well said. No excuses -- that is clear.

gravedigger
05-21-2016, 09:33 PM
wrong- every season counts

Last year counts last year.

Turfdawg67
05-21-2016, 09:34 PM
Listen. You are RIGHT. But, the fact that you're still exaggerating that TONIGHT on an MSU board proves my point about your priorities.

#nomoraexcuses

Coach can complain all he wants. Cohen's teams, aside from getting hot at the end a couple years ago, have done less with more. We were a "middle of the SEC" team until this year. Great year, maybe he's turned the tide and this will be the start of a great run for MSU baseball! Hail State!

Coach34
05-21-2016, 09:35 PM
Last year counts last year.

yep- Cohen answered the bell in a big way. SEC Champs. Nobody is disputing this.

turkish
05-21-2016, 09:37 PM
nm

shoeless joe
05-21-2016, 09:42 PM
Coach can complain all he wants. Cohen's teams, aside from getting hot at the end a couple years ago, have done less with more. We were a "middle of the SEC" team until this year. Great year, maybe he's turned the tide and this will be the start of a great run for MSU baseball! Hail State!

Cohens teams at state historically play their best ball late in the year. Improvement throughout the season is a sign of good coaching.

Bully13
05-21-2016, 09:44 PM

The most full of shit posts on multiple fronts

Bucky Dog
05-21-2016, 09:47 PM
So, Coach, are you going to openly admit you were wrong about Cohen and this team, and wrong about Reid hitting .270?

smootness
05-21-2016, 09:48 PM

Huh?

Bully13
05-21-2016, 09:50 PM
See my previous post

smootness
05-21-2016, 09:52 PM
I'm still not sure what you're getting at. My posts are FOS?

turkish
05-21-2016, 09:54 PM
Here's one still finding excuses. Smdh

Coach34
05-21-2016, 09:54 PM
So, Coach, are you going to openly admit you were wrong about Cohen and this team, and wrong about Reid hitting .270?

How was I wrong I wrong about this team? No Mora Excuses means win- no excuses

I did underestimate Hump's season. He crushed LHP's at a .500 rate.

Percho
05-21-2016, 09:55 PM
Tonight is awesome. Last year still happened. Worst to 1st. Great story. You not clear?

Where would we all be without, "forgiveness"?

I think I will just forgive and forget last year.

Percho
05-21-2016, 09:58 PM
How was I wrong I wrong about this team? No Mora Excuses means win- no excuses

I did underestimate Hump's season. He crushed LHP's at a .500 rate.

If you were Jake M would you hit from the left side all the time?

Coach34
05-21-2016, 10:02 PM

Good question. He sees the ball well from the left side. But hard to say until he gets another year under his belt. But he is nowhere near the hitter from the Right he is from the Left

smootness
05-21-2016, 10:13 PM

Assuming he's been hitting lefties as a RH batter since he was a child, then it's probably not going to work out better to try to him them from the left side. In some ways, it would be like trying to hit a baseball for the first time. I would imagine he would be completely uncomfortable.

DogsofAnarchy
05-21-2016, 10:18 PM

I was one of the people that said this was a crucial year for Cohen. He has performed extraordinarily. He has earned all of our support and from now on he has my support.

MarketingBully
05-21-2016, 10:23 PM
I want to win with Cohen. He is from MSU and bleeds maroon and white. I didn't think he could get done what he just did but I will eat my crow wholeheartedly! He accomplished an overall SEC championship and a national seed. I'm convinced he is our guy!

He has my full support now as well. Now let's build the new Dudy Noble!

sandwolf
05-21-2016, 10:33 PM
......aside from getting hot at the end a couple years ago......

Anyone that describes the 2013 season like this is either an idiot or has an agenda. We may have been playing our best baseball at the end of the year, but we were a damn good team all year and had an impressive enough regular season to host a regional.......we didn't just 'get hot at the end.'

JohnnyQuid
05-21-2016, 10:40 PM
Anyone that describes the 2013 season like this is either an idiot or has an agenda. We may have been playing our best baseball at the end of the year, but we were a damn good team all year and had an impressive enough regular season to host a regional.......we didn't just 'get hot at the end.'

that team evolved through out the year - product of good coaching and good talent on the field I'd say.

I feel like this team dwarfs that one in terms of talent especially with the bat. and two sec starters who give u 7-8 innings regularly is a luxury we didn't have on that team for sure

smootness
05-21-2016, 10:41 PM

Also, you can't toss aside the postseason accomplishments as 'getting hot at the end'. We were legitimately one of the best teams in the country by the end of the year and won a bunch of games against really good teams.

Bully13
05-21-2016, 10:49 PM
I'm still not sure what you're getting at. My posts are FOS?

Anyone saying Polk doesn't owe us an apology cares more about him than our program. I don't believe you don't get what I'm getting at.

JohnnyQuid
05-21-2016, 10:50 PM
Also, you can't toss aside the postseason accomplishments as 'getting hot at the end'. We were legitimately one of the best teams in the country by the end of the year and won a bunch of games against really good teams.

Virginia oregon state and Indiana were legit with future pros - damn good ones at that - on their teams and we handled them. no getting around that

JohnnyQuid
05-21-2016, 10:53 PM
Anyone saying Polk doesn't owe us an apology cares more about him than our program. I don't believe you don't get what I'm getting at.

don't even care bout an apology at this point - think we're past that. he's part of our baseball culture if he could get over himself it'd be cool to have him around the program some and acting like he gives a shit

I seen it dawg
05-21-2016, 11:01 PM

Wish this could be rammed up a lot of asses. Very perfectly put.

Bully13
05-21-2016, 11:03 PM
don't even care bout an apology at this point - think we're past that. he's part of our baseball culture if he could get over himself it'd be cool to have him around the program some and acting like he gives a shit

I could give 2 17's about an apology either from him either now. Unless he wants to rejoin our family that is. If he wants to rejoin the family. He needs to manup. If not, 17 him and take his name off the stadium.

JohnnyQuid
05-21-2016, 11:04 PM
I could give 2 17's about an apology either from him either now. Unless he wants to rejoin our family that is. If he wants to rejoin the family. He needs to manup. If not, 17 him and take his name off the stadium.

I'm with ya there

BeardoMSU
05-21-2016, 11:21 PM
Just out of curiosity: what are the types of things one can say that would warrant a ban from the site? And, Is this based on something other than momentary pissing contests, bitterness, ego, etc.? Lastly, unless in extreme situations, trolls, OM fans, etc., does that type of censorship/control benefit this community? I ask because I care, and worry...

Bubb Rubb
05-21-2016, 11:27 PM

Yeah, and so has every year before that. I don't see the point in even bringing it up. In recent history, Cohen has taken us to a national runner up and SEC champions. Last year was a step back, but we look silly even talking about that right now. Why can't we enjoy being SEC champions and eliminate the whole "but last year..." part of it. Every team takes a step back from time to time.

JohnnyQuid
05-21-2016, 11:30 PM
Just out of curiosity: what are the types of things one can say that would warrant a ban from the site? And, Is this based on something other than momentary pissing contests, bitterness, ego, etc.? Lastly, unless in extreme situations, trolls, OM fans, etc., does that type of censorship/control benefit this community? I ask because I care, and worry...

I think 24 hr ones are good for guys who had a few too many and talk out of their ass. I don't like bans otherwise even the ppl who annoy the **** out of me make this place what it is.

extreme trolling or I guess if you can't disagree without insulting on a regular basis would be some exceptions- we're all bulldogs here even when u agree on nothing else there's always that.

sandwolf
05-21-2016, 11:37 PM

In this case, it was 100% a pissing contest between two huge egos......coach just happened to be the one that wound up looking like a ****ing moron this time, and since engie was content to rub it in, he got banned. And no, it isn't good for the board.

Todd4State
05-21-2016, 11:46 PM
Ok here is my two cents. If Dan took us to the NC game and then two years later went 5-7 would some of our big boosters put him on the hot seat? My guess is probably not.

Look last year sucked but the Arkansas team we just got done sweeping was in Omaha not long ago.

Even Butch commented on this a week ago with his "it's like they forgot what we did the four other years" quote. That is a problem and quite frankly I don't think it reflects very well on our fans.

I thought that going to the finals in Omaha would bury the hatchet but I guess not. But like Bobcat said- it's past time to move on and time to give Cohen our all out support. These past six years have been our best since the 90's even with the losing season.

JohnnyQuid
05-21-2016, 11:52 PM
college baseball is hell of alot more competitive now as well. we just won a conference that has 7 teams in the top 10 or some shit - ur gonna have some down years. even the bad teams in our conference would be middle of the pack or better in most other save the ACC. Cohen did some shit - hes good for a while. doesn't mean we can't cuss him and criticize him along the way ha. honestly can't think of a coach I'd rather have than him tho

DancingRabbit
05-22-2016, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by smootness

I think you misunderstood what smootness was saying. His opinion and yours are on the same side.

msbulldog
05-22-2016, 07:44 AM
Ok here is my two cents. If Dan took us to the NC game and then two years later went 5-7 would some of our big boosters put him on the hot seat? My guess is probably not.

Look last year sucked but the Arkansas team we just got done sweeping was in Omaha not long ago.

Even Butch commented on this a week ago with his "it's like they forgot what we did the four other years" quote. That is a problem and quite frankly I don't think it reflects very well on our fans.

I thought that going to the finals in Omaha would bury the hatchet but I guess not. But like Bobcat said- it's past time to move on and time to give Cohen our all out support. These past six years have been our best since the 90's even with the losing season.

Agree!

DancingRabbit
05-22-2016, 07:47 AM

Yeah, Arkansas went to Omaha last year. This year, not so much.

basedog
05-22-2016, 08:00 AM
As for as regular seasons go, this year is the best ever imo. I've seen some incredible teams since 1970, but the this year has been one of the best and fun to watch.

Having so many Sec teams in the top ten makes this special with us winning the regular season championship. Competition now days is much tougher than the past years.

Not sure in my lifetime of coaches (baseball) at Msu has a coach done a better job than John Cohen for this year.

Maroonthirteen
05-22-2016, 08:08 AM
I feel like this has been the university's attitude the entire time. never heard cohen talk bad about Polk or anyone involved with msu for that matter. he's just stubborn and refuses to be involved from all I can tell

That's all the university can do. Take the high road. So should the fans. Just acknowledge the foundation Polk built (John did) and leave the door open for him. Fans just need to enjoy the legacy John is building.

Polk is old. Life is to short for petty bs.

basedog
05-22-2016, 08:20 AM
Long before Ron Polk there was a great Coach and gentleman named Paul Gregory, to me he built the foundation, Polk built the house on the foundation.

Paul Gregory was well respected. fact is there was a crazy Ncaa rule that probably cost us a chance at a National title way back in the early 70's. We had several players rules ineligible and didn't get to play in the regional. We were loaded with pitching, defense and hitting.

Left field Lounge and lights were added. He and D'armi had a patent on a batting cage, he was way ahead of his time at a late age. Wore a tie and coat while teaching, great man he was!

AROB44
05-22-2016, 09:00 AM
That little troll acted like a spoiled baby. MSU baseball was good before him, it's great now, and it'll be great in the future. I wish we'd tear his name off our stadium.

One of the few times I agree 100% with "The Mutt".

Bully13
05-22-2016, 11:01 AM
I think you misunderstood what smootness was saying. His opinion and yours are on the same side.

I do see that. "He started it " was misread by me. My bad smoot.

DanDority
05-22-2016, 11:40 AM
South Carolina Won back to back titles, was in the title game for a third one and missed out on the tourney last season and finished one place behind us this season.

BeardoMSU
05-22-2016, 11:41 AM
South Carolina Won back to back titles, was in the title game for a third one and missed out on the tourney last season and finished one place behind us this season.

But do they bunt?**

tcdog70
05-22-2016, 12:04 PM
As for as regular seasons go, this year is the best ever imo. I've seen some incredible teams since 1970, but the this year has been one of the best and fun to watch.

Having so many Sec teams in the top ten makes this special with us winning the regular season championship. Competition now days is much tougher than the past years.

Not sure in my lifetime of coaches (baseball) at Msu has a coach done a better job than John Cohen for this year.

I agree, nice post. My first team to get behind was,the one with Jocko Potts, Bobby Croswell, with Hall and Jones pitching. They also were pretty aesome

Coach34
05-22-2016, 12:07 PM

but they didnt have a losing season or miss the SEC Tourney

DanDority
05-22-2016, 12:12 PM
but they didnt have a losing season or miss the SEC Tourney
They did miss the NCAA tournament

mic
05-22-2016, 02:07 PM

And over half the USCe fan base wants to fire Holbrook gone .. Which to me is absurd ..
Like CJC or don't like him you can't have a 6 SEC win seasons and not be on the hot seat the next season.. Esp is year 7 or 8... There should never be a " rebuilding year " like that...

He deserves all the praise he has gotten and will get this year... But we should not be battling and trying to just reach the .500 mark in sec play... Going forward.

maroonmania
05-22-2016, 04:00 PM
you can't have a 6 SEC win seasons and not be on the hot seat the next season..

Well he had an 8 win SEC season last year, not 6.

JohnnyQuid
05-22-2016, 04:25 PM
And over half the USCe fan base wants to fire Holbrook gone .. Which to me is absurd ..
Like CJC or don't like him you can't have a 6 SEC win seasons and not be on the hot seat the next season.. Esp is year 7 or 8... There should never be a " rebuilding year " like that...

He deserves all the praise he has gotten and will get this year... But we should not be battling and trying to just reach the .500 mark in sec play... Going forward.

I agree the seat gets hot after a season like that but it was an anomaly. nothing went our way last year and honestly I think alot of the meddling was cohen trying to do anything to win. any talk of his job being in jeopardy after last year is lunacy - and i attribute most of it to frustration.

CWS championship series and an overall sec title. and this year's not over. think cohen is good for a bit. and . 500 years in sec play are gonna happen I just hope people don't freak out the next time we have a down year and have knee jerk fire people reactions.

mic
05-22-2016, 06:01 PM
Well he had an 8 win SEC season last year, not 6.

6-8-10 doesn't make a ****... Can't happen this long into his tenure...