PDA

View Full Version : sweep the leg

PassInterference
08-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Dolphins rooke WR DeAndre Hopkins had his knee blown out after catching a pass over the middle and getting hit be a defender who clearly went low on him in an effort not to hit him high.

This is the new reality for CFB and the NFL. A lot of knees are gonna go this year. But at least they won't have concussions. I think the players would vote to keep their knees.

BulldogDX55
08-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Dolphins rooke WR DeAndre Hopkins had his knee blown out after catching a pass over the middle and getting hit be a defender who clearly went low on him in an effort not to hit him high.

This is the new reality for CFB and the NFL. A lot of knees are gonna go this year. But at least they won't have concussions. I think the players would vote to keep their knees.

Soon, the NFL will take a page out of the MLB playbook and institute the Strikezone Rule: You may only hit the ball carrier above the knees and below the neck.

Covercorner2
08-19-2013, 06:35 PM
DeAndre Hopkins plays for the Texans. Dustin Keller, a TE who is not a rookie and plays for the Dolphins, blew his knee out, however.

Sandman14
08-19-2013, 06:41 PM
such a load of garbage. these rule changes are awful, and they are 100% motivated by the NFL's intent to limit its exposure in the concussion suit that is underway.

"we let concussed players reenter games for 20 years with knowledge of it....so now we are gonna make stupid rules after the fact to show we have done something about it..."

I'd rather have my knees and be able to provide for my family...rub some dirt on the concussion. heck, if you are getting paid they way they are getting paid, you have to know there is a reason you are getting the big bucks. most players would assume the risk of post concussion syndrome. they just need to get the info out and then have players formally assume the risk by contract. and also start cracking down on how players are handled once they get a concussion. making rules about running backs not being able to brace for contact when they are staring at the defender about to hit them is asinine.

War Machine Dawg
08-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Prophetic. This was just being discussed on MNF Countdown. Pretty much everyone said the same thing: Hit me high, not in my legs. I'd rather have my legs over a concussion. But you're right, this is going to get worse before it gets better.

msstate7
08-19-2013, 07:24 PM
such a load of garbage. these rule changes are awful, and they are 100% motivated by the NFL's intent to limit its exposure in the concussion suit that is underway.

"we let concussed players reenter games for 20 years with knowledge of it....so now we are gonna make stupid rules after the fact to show we have done something about it..."

I'd rather have my knees and be able to provide for my family...rub some dirt on the concussion. heck, if you are getting paid they way they are getting paid, you have to know there is a reason you are getting the big bucks. most players would assume the risk of post concussion syndrome. they just need to get the info out and then have players formally assume the risk by contract. and also start cracking down on how players are handled once they get a concussion. making rules about running backs not being able to brace for contact when they are staring at the defender about to hit them is asinine.

Enter the lawsuits against the Nfl for encouraging defenders to hit knees. The best sport in American history is on the way down...

DanDority
08-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Enter the lawsuits against the Nfl for encouraging defenders to hit knees. The best sport in American history is on the way down...

I totally agree! It is so big that this is the way it will be brought down, by the Got Damn Lawyers!

WeWonItAll(Most)
08-19-2013, 08:19 PM

You would think it would be that simple wouldn't you? I've never understood why it hasn't been that way, any other job that has a risk of injury to it the employee assumes the risk. So why do ex-NFL players get to sue over it?

msstate7
08-19-2013, 08:23 PM
You would think it would be that simple wouldn't you? I've never understood why it hasn't been that way, any other job that has a risk of injury to it the employee assumes the risk. So why do ex-NFL players get to sue over it?
Does the nfl make new players sign an agreement to not sue?

Farmdawg
08-19-2013, 08:49 PM

Not necessrily true....I work with injured workers from wal mart clerks to dock and steel workers every day that sue the pants off their employers for no reason at all.....not saying its right, but it happens all the time.

Farmdawg
08-19-2013, 08:57 PM
The problem with all this is that if the players would just tackle and hit the way they are supposed to (how every pee wee player learns) by keeping their head up, lead with their shoulder and actually WRAP UP on players instead of trying to knock the ever loving shit out of everybody the game would be safer and still very entertaining. Every defensive player wants to make a highlight reel or top 10 on espn instead of just making a tackle and you end up with poor form and lots of injuries.

Op4isabitch
08-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Exactly, rugby players don't wear helmets. They wrap up instead of trying to make the huge hits, they do have issues with concussions but not to the extent we see in the NFL or CFL, considering they don't wear helmets that's pretty remarkable.

msstate7
08-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Exactly, rugby players don't wear helmets. They wrap up instead of trying to make the huge hits, they do have issues with concussions but not to the extent we see in the NFL or CFL, considering they don't wear helmets that's pretty remarkable.

Nothing against rugby, but the speed and size of nfl players isn't comparable to rugby players IMO

Op4isabitch
08-19-2013, 09:54 PM
In my opinion that argument is oversold, pro rugby players are plenty big, plenty fast and they don't wear helmets. There are tons of 200lb+ rugby players tackling other 200lb+ rugby players. My point is that head high tackles have been illegal in Rugby for several decades but they wrap up,either around the legs or body when they tackle and aren't just going for the high light reel hits.

rdnkkicker
08-20-2013, 06:16 AM
There is no way the speed and size gap is big enough to outweigh the advantages of the protective gear NFL players wear.

HereComesTheSpiral
08-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Didn't james Harrison say this would happen when all of the fines were being handed out for hitting high.

msstate7
08-20-2013, 07:30 AM
How long before its pretty much flag football? 15 to 20 years?

msstate7
08-20-2013, 07:34 AM
The problem with all this is that if the players would just tackle and hit the way they are supposed to (how every pee wee player learns) by keeping their head up, lead with their shoulder and actually WRAP UP on players instead of trying to knock the ever loving shit out of everybody the game would be safer and still very entertaining. Every defensive player wants to make a highlight reel or top 10 on espn instead of just making a tackle and you end up with poor form and lots of injuries.

Part of playing defense is making wr's weary of catching balls in the middle of the field. If you just form tackle receivers, you'll be form tackling them all the way to the endzone IMO

reddog
08-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Not necessrily true....I work with injured workers from wal mart clerks to dock and steel workers every day that sue the pants off their employers for no reason at all.....not saying its right, but it happens all the time.

not exactly true workers comp protects the employer from being sued but the injured employee can fie a claim against their insurance provider

Political Hack
08-20-2013, 10:20 AM
pretty soon it'll be an 11 on 11 Madden tournament. Either that or some gladiator crap with everyone rolling around in hamster balls.

Farmdawg
08-20-2013, 11:29 AM
not exactly true workers comp protects the employer from being sued but the injured employee can fie a claim against their insurance provider

Maybe so....they may sue them both. Regardless of who is being sued, they are not usually taking personal responsibility for the injury and dealing with it. It's typically somebody else's fault they got hurt.

hacker
08-20-2013, 11:42 AM
The rugby comparison is legit. If these guys didn't have helmets and pads they wouldn't be bashing their skulls into each other on purpose. It gives them a sense of security.

Farmdawg
08-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Part of playing defense is making wr's weary of catching balls in the middle of the field. If you just form tackle receivers, you'll be form tackling them all the way to the endzone IMO

That is part if the problem from the beginning...players are being taught as early as JV to knock the hell out each other and are not being taught the basics in coverage techniques or tackling form....

I've seen some pretty dang punishing form tackles that most receivers would shy away from.