PDA

View Full Version : UGA

BB30
05-21-2016, 11:40 AM
Is there a program in the sec that has done less with more than UGA. I just don't understand how they aren't better in baseball. They have had some success in football obviously, but I still fee like they should be better. But there are absolutely no excuses for them to not be atop the sec in baseball year in and year out. The Atlanta area alone should produce enough talent to be one of the top 3-4 programs every season. Anyone have any idea as to why they are so inconsistent. I know they have had some success but not near what they should be. Hat should be one of the easiest jobs in college baseball.

messageboardsuperhero
05-21-2016, 11:43 AM
It's all about finding the right guy to get things going. LSU was not LSU until Bertman came along. When UGA finds a good coach, they will be elite.

smootness
05-21-2016, 11:51 AM
Is there a program in the sec that has done less with more than UGA. I just don't understand how they aren't better in baseball. They have had some success in football obviously, but I still fee like they should be better. But there are absolutely no excuses for them to not be atop the sec in baseball year in and year out. The Atlanta area alone should produce enough talent to be one of the top 3-4 programs every season. Anyone have any idea as to why they are so inconsistent. I know they have had some success but not near what they should be. Hat should be one of the easiest jobs in college baseball.

Everyone says this, but it's just not the case. It's not some sleeping giant. Everyone scouts metro Atlanta heavily, and none of their fans care about baseball. They're never going to start getting all the top GA kids to go there.

An elite coach can win there, but an elite coach can win anywhere. It's no better a program than a place like Tennessee or Auburn.

BrunswickDawg
05-21-2016, 12:20 PM
Everyone says this, but it's just not the case. It's not some sleeping giant. Everyone scouts metro Atlanta heavily, and none of their fans care about baseball. They're never going to start getting all the top GA kids to go there.

An elite coach can win there, but an elite coach can win anywhere. It's no better a program than a place like Tennessee or Auburn.
Another factor is the number of strong collegiate programs in GA. UGA, GT, Georgia Southern, Mercer, Kennesaw in D1 have all had successes over the years. Hell, GSU has been to the CWS more than Ole Miss over the past 40 years. At lower levels - D2,D3, NAIA - Kennesaw (was dominant before moving up) Georgia College, Georgia Perimeter, and Shorter have all had success and in some cases multiple Nattys. It thins the pool of talented depth tremendously.

They also don't care.

smootness
05-21-2016, 12:22 PM
Mississippi State is a great program because the fans care deeply. UGA will never be a great program because their fans don't care at all. Simple as that.

Thompson92
05-21-2016, 12:31 PM
I'm at the game right now. Very different from Dudy Noble, for sure. The UT fans seem to be making more noise than the UGA fans. They have a nice stadium, but it's small and only about half full.

Coach34
05-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Me, ISeenIt, and Mic were talking about that. The fact that Lowe is not batting 3-hole for them tells you a lot. They hemorrhage talent to other programs

smootness
05-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Me, ISeenIt, and Mic were talking about that. The fact that Lowe is not batting 3-hole for them tells you a lot. They hemorrhage talent to other programs

It tells you he'd rather be at State. Because we're a good baseball program and they are not.

In-state kids in GA are not tied to the state the way those in many other states tend to be, and this is even more the case in baseball. It's not that UGA is losing talent they should be getting. It's that they're not able to attract the talent there.

Coach34
05-21-2016, 12:56 PM
It tells you he'd rather be at State. Because we're a good baseball program and they are not.

In-state kids in GA are not tied to the state the way those in many other states tend to be, and this is even more the case in baseball. It's not that UGA is losing talent they should be getting. It's that they're not able to attract the talent there.

Lowe didn't start at State out of HS though. Georgia missed on him right out of the gate

parabrave
05-21-2016, 01:02 PM
Another factor is the number of strong collegiate programs in GA. UGA, GT, Georgia Southern, Mercer, Kennesaw in D1 have all had successes over the years. Hell, GSU has been to the CWS more than Ole Miss over the past 40 years. At lower levels - D2,D3, NAIA - Kennesaw (was dominant before moving up) Georgia College, Georgia Perimeter, and Shorter have all had success and in some cases multiple Nattys. It thins the pool of talented depth tremendously.

They also don't care.

Don't forget that Clemson has a bigger baseball presence up the I85 corridor.

Bothrops
05-21-2016, 02:00 PM
There's a lot of city kids at UGA from upper middle class families. They never attended college baseball games growing up, therefore they have no interest.

smootness
05-21-2016, 03:40 PM
Lowe didn't start at State out of HS though. Georgia missed on him right out of the gate

Eh, it's kind of hard to say that. He went to Mercer, so by that definition everybody missed on him. But he also barely played his freshman year at Mercer and then had a great year in JUCO. But I don't know if that's an indictment on UGA or their coaching staff.