PDA

View Full Version : Saahdiq Charles - Deciding next week

Big4Dawg
05-20-2016, 09:29 AM
OL from Jackson w/ an offer from LSU.

http://247sports.com/Player/Saahdiq-Charles-83840

Anyone have any clue where he is leaning? Kylin Hill tweeted we would be getting good news next week but he might not know anything.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-20-2016, 09:47 AM
It's a LSU/MSU battle. Both sides feel confident. I expect him to choose MSU.

msstate7
05-20-2016, 09:49 AM
It's a LSU/MSU battle. Both sides feel confident. I expect him to choose MSU.

That would be huge.

Any timeline on Avery and gay?

Ifyouonlyknew
05-20-2016, 09:57 AM
That would be huge.

Any timeline on Avery and gay?

Willie will be this summer sometime. CJ hasn't given a timeframe.

Coach34
05-20-2016, 10:09 AM
This guy actually has some stars. You go Hev

msstate7
05-20-2016, 10:14 AM
Tis guy actually has some stars. You go Hev

Champion (OT commit) has a bama offer on his 247 profile

jumbo
05-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Willie will be this summer sometime. CJ hasn't given a timeframe.

Clearly reading too much into a high school kids twitter, but after Kylin tweeted about a decision on Tuesday Kobe tweeted something yesterday about waiting for next Thursday so I'll go out on a limb and say Willie pulls the trigger then

deltadawg99
05-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Isn't he close with Sean Rawlings and his family? Don't want this to be a deal where OM comes in during the 11th hour and flips him.

miketice
05-20-2016, 10:33 AM
This guy actually has some stars. You go Hev

Isn't he a Knox recruit

Jack Lambert
05-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Isn't he close with Sean Rawlings and his family? Don't want this to be a deal where OM comes in during the 11th hour and flips him.

Maybe but Malone can help a little.

jumbo
05-20-2016, 10:53 AM
Isn't he a Knox recruit

Yes, Knox is his primary

Ifyouonlyknew
05-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Isn't he a Knox recruit

By that logic Kylin is a Hev guy.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-20-2016, 10:56 AM

They're cool but not like he's living with them or anything. LSU is by far the biggest threat. They're extremely confident they get him but I'm hearing its MSU.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-20-2016, 10:57 AM
Clearly reading too much into a high school kids twitter, but after Kylin tweeted about a decision on Tuesday Kobe tweeted something yesterday about waiting for next Thursday so I'll go out on a limb and say Willie pulls the trigger then

Doesn't he graduate Thursday?

jumbo
05-20-2016, 11:10 AM

No clue. I don't follow recruits until they actually enroll but Kobe got an exception when he started roasting OM people

miketice
05-20-2016, 11:10 AM

Well way to go Hev!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-20-2016, 11:19 AM

Starkville's graduation is the 27th, next friday according to the school calendar.

http://www.starkvillesd.com/academic-calendar/

Ifyouonlyknew
05-23-2016, 07:25 PM
Looking like LSU is the decision going into tomorrow.

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-23-2016, 07:31 PM

I wish I had Hev's job security.

ShotgunDawg
05-23-2016, 07:38 PM

Man Hevesy just sucks donkey balls

War Machine Dawg
05-23-2016, 07:53 PM

I wish I had Hev's job security.

http://66.media.tumblr.com/114e070a713c07fd685ee9474e91e819/tumblr_nexc9uCoyH1s8l4eao1_500.gif
http://i.makeagif.com/save/diCmL7

DanDority
05-23-2016, 08:00 PM
http://66.media.tumblr.com/114e070a713c07fd685ee9474e91e819/tumblr_nexc9uCoyH1s8l4eao1_500.gif
http://i.makeagif.com/save/diCmL7

^^^^Nailed it^^^^

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-23-2016, 09:09 PM
Man Hevesy just sucks donkey balls.

ShotgunDawg
05-23-2016, 09:23 PM

Idividually we can come up with a valid excuse as to why he's missed on each and every guy, but collectively there is no excuse.

There are certainly valid reasons that are out of the coach's control when it comes to landing certain kids, but when the same coach consistently misses on players and has not recruited a single NFL player at his position in 7 years, it's probable that that man sucks at his job.

raymond21
05-23-2016, 09:31 PM
OL from Jackson w/ an offer from LSU.

http://247sports.com/Player/Saahdiq-Charles-83840

Anyone have any clue where he is leaning? Kylin Hill tweeted we would be getting good news next week but he might not know anything.. Commits to LSU next week. Move on to the next one

CadaverDawg
05-23-2016, 09:31 PM
I never doubted we'd miss on this guy. Fool me once, shame on you...

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-23-2016, 09:41 PM
Idividually we can come up with a valid excuse as to why he's missed on each and every guy, but collectively there is no excuse.

There are certainly valid reasons that are out of the coach's control when it comes to landing certain kids, but when the same coach consistently misses on players and has not recruited a single NFL player at his position in 7 years, it's probable that that man sucks at his job.

If a kid from Greenwood moved to Louisiana and then he ended up being a favorite to come to State, would that seem out of the ordinary?

Bully13
05-23-2016, 09:47 PM
"Wanna be my friend? "

Homedawg
05-23-2016, 09:50 PM

Actually, hev no longer has Columbus, Starkville, and West Point.

HoopsDawg
05-23-2016, 09:52 PM
I never doubted we'd miss on this guy. Fool me once, shame on you...

Same.

ShotgunDawg
05-23-2016, 10:23 PM
If a kid from Greenwood moved to Louisiana and then he ended up being a favorite to come to State, would that seem out of the ordinary?

Not the point. We can find excuses for every recruit but collectively the easiest explanation is that Hev sucks at his job.

You can't keep making excuses for every recruit he misses on. There is an excuse that every great recruiter can use for every kid, but collectively we know who the best recruiters are because they land good players. Hevesy doesn't do that. At the end of the day, he hasn't a landed a single NFL caliber offensive lineman in 7+ years.

Todd4State
05-23-2016, 11:05 PM
Here is my biggest problem- he is choosing LSU because he talks to their coaches more. I have a problem with that because you know LSU's coaches probably initiated the conversations more than ours.

War Machine Dawg
05-23-2016, 11:19 PM
Here is my biggest problem- he is choosing LSU because he talks to their coaches more. I have a problem with that because you know LSU's coaches probably initiated the conversations more than ours.

Mullen "Country Club" Crootin: Lazy ass not putting forth effort to seal the deal. If Hev worked hard and lost a kid, that's one thing. Wouldn't like it, but I could handle it. Losing kids because you're too damn lazy to talk to them - unacceptable. It should get his ass fired. But he's Mullen's Woody Mc, so he's safe until he can con someone into making him a HC. And that might be a long time, since he couldn't get ULM to take him last year. Meanwhile, we're stuck with a guy who's likely a solid developer of talent but can't get any talent worth a damn at his position to campus. So we'll just keep spinning our wheels in the conference indefinitely due to OL play.

bulldawg28
05-24-2016, 06:13 AM
Lol....you guys love the edge.

Coach34
05-24-2016, 06:28 AM
Lol....you guys love the edge.

So do DE's playing against our OL

bulldawg28
05-24-2016, 06:37 AM

Good one

Todd4State
05-24-2016, 07:54 AM
Mullen "Country Club" Crootin: Lazy ass not putting forth effort to seal the deal. If Hev worked hard and lost a kid, that's one thing. Wouldn't like it, but I could handle it. Losing kids because you're too damn lazy to talk to them - unacceptable. It should get his ass fired. But he's Mullen's Woody Mc, so he's safe until he can con someone into making him a HC. And that might be a long time, since he couldn't get ULM to take him last year. Meanwhile, we're stuck with a guy who's likely a solid developer of talent but can't get any talent worth a damn at his position to campus. So we'll just keep spinning our wheels in the conference indefinitely due to OL play.

Exactly. RIGHT NOW we have a four star QB, RB and for 2018 a four star WR committed. And we're going to have a low 3 star o-line hindering them unless something is done.

BulldogBear
05-24-2016, 08:01 AM

Shhhhhhhh.....

To all Sun Belt and/or CUSA and/or MAC fans and alumni that may be reading. Hev is our best assistant coach by far. Please don't throw us in the briar patch. Please don't take him. I mean, he'd probably be a perfect fit for you and lead you to championships and all...but we need him.

Johnson85
05-24-2016, 08:52 AM

^^^THIS^^^

I don't know what the problem is. Maybe it's Hev, maybe it's something else, but there is no denying we have a major issue recruiting OL. Over seven years, if you're don't have a serious problem killing all your natural ins, you will just back into a good OL prospect a time or two. We have been extremely lucky that we were able to take 5 low rated recruits and turn them into a good OL in 2014. Otherwise, we have consistently set our ceiling before the season even begins with shitty OL recruiting.

Mjoelner34
05-24-2016, 08:55 AM

http://i.imgur.com/GmEjiCv.gif

BB30
05-24-2016, 08:56 AM
It is getting frustrating. But, hard to blame the kid. I know if I was non biased and not a state fan from the get go and I was being recruited by LSU and State that would be a hard pull for anyone. Play in front of 100,000 at a school that has a lottttt more history in football and generally is seen as the 2nd best school in the SEC or go play at state in front of 56,000 that hasn't won anything of any significance in his lifetime(he being 17). Tough sell. That being said we will never consistently compete in the west without solid OL recruiting and that is extremely frustrating. No doubt Hev could do a much better job than he is and there probably needs to be a change.

CadaverDawg
05-24-2016, 08:57 AM
"It's hard to rate OL"

"Great OL guys get offers from everywhere, and there's only a few elite OL each year"

"Hev turned Day & Beckeith into good OL"

"Hev recruits an area, not a position"

- Things typically used to downplay our unacceptable OL recruiting

jumbo
05-24-2016, 08:58 AM
Per Paul he's not as high on our board as he is on LSUs...have fun with that.

Coach34
05-24-2016, 09:01 AM

Thats a Yancyism right there- our OL recruiting isn't in the same atmosphere as theirs

CadaverDawg
05-24-2016, 09:04 AM
It is getting frustrating. But, hard to blame the kid. I know if I was non biased and not a state fan from the get go and I was being recruited by LSU and State that would be a hard pull for anyone. Play in front of 100,000 at a school that has a lottttt more history in football and generally is seen as the 2nd best school in the SEC or go play at state in front of 56,000 that hasn't won anything of any significance in his lifetime(he being 17). Tough sell. That being said we will never consistently compete in the west without solid OL recruiting and that is extremely frustrating. No doubt Hev could do a much better job than he is and there probably needs to be a change.

I agree about it being hard to turn down LSU...but it pisses me off to hear the kid say he talks to the LSU staff more, and stuff like that. When you are MSU, and ESPECIALLY if you are Hevesy the way he's been catching hell, and you're battling LSU...you simply can not afford to be outworked. You already have other things playing against you in that battle...but being outworked should NEVER happen at MSU. Especially now, especially Hev, especially for OL.

We are truly in danger of having one of our best skill groups ever in a few years, and nobody to block for them. That is unacceptable. Buckley comes in and does more on the recruiting trail in 6 months than Hevesy has in 8 years. It's horse shit.

And I totally agree with you that we will never TRULY be a "threat" in the West until we recruit better on the OL.

CadaverDawg
05-24-2016, 09:07 AM

Lol, Thats like saying "Brad Pitt can have that girl, she's not my type anyway". Translated = She's your type, but you can't get her, bc girls that date Brad Pitt don't date Joe Schmoe from Pisgah, MS.

HoopsDawg
05-24-2016, 09:11 AM

Just a heads up, we expanded our stadium a couple of years ago and now hold more than 61K.

Again, this isn't just about one player. We are consistently getting outworked for O-linemen. This is not coming from me, but straight from the recruit's mouth. No excuse to keep losing battle after battle. Scott Lashley should have been the last straw.

Bothrops
05-24-2016, 09:15 AM
We will never recruit better at OL than what we did the last two classes. That's as good as it will get under Mullen/Hev. Biggest reason is simple, Mississippi doesn't produce them.

BB30
05-24-2016, 09:32 AM
Just a heads up, we expanded our stadium a couple of years ago and now hold more than 61K.

Again, this isn't just about one player. We are consistently getting outworked for O-linemen. This is not coming from me, but straight from the recruit's mouth. No excuse to keep losing battle after battle. Scott Lashley should have been the last straw.

My bad, excuse me 61,000 compared to 102,000 makes it better my apologies. You completely missed the point that I was making. I clearly said Hev is not doing his job but I wouldn't expect to land every stud OL we recruit should we pull a few yes. But, we have never consistently landed top OL talent go back and look even in jackie's years and see what our OL classes looked like. I agree no excuses to get outworked for recruits that is one thing this staff can control. But, to think we are going to win a head to head battle with LSU for someone they really want and recruit hard the majority of the time is ignorant.

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-24-2016, 09:34 AM
We will never recruit better at OL than what we did the last two classes. That's as good as it will get under Mullen/Hev. Biggest reason is simple, Mississippi doesn't produce them.

Just go out of state then. Iowa always has a great offensive line. Maybe just grab a guy or two from the Midwest that doesn't feel like freezing their ass off.

HoopsDawg
05-24-2016, 09:35 AM
My bad, excuse me 61,000 compared to 102,000 makes it better my apologies. You completely missed the point that I was making. I clearly said Hev is not doing his job but I wouldn't expect to land every stud OL we recruit should we pull a few yes. But, we have never consistently landed top OL talent go back and look even in jackie's years and see what our OL classes looked like. I agree no excuses to get outworked for recruits that is one thing this staff can control. But, to think we are going to win a head to head battle with LSU for someone they really want and recruit hard the majority of the time is ignorant.

No, I think the point is LSU doesn't have to outwork us for a kid, but they did. Alabama didn't have to outwork us for Lashley, but they did. That's a big problem.

HoopsDawg
05-24-2016, 09:38 AM
Just go out of state then. Iowa always has a great offensive line. Maybe just grab a guy or two from the Midwest that doesn't feel like freezing their ass off.

That's something that's easy to say, but hard to pull off. There are usually 1 or 2 excellent linemen in the state of MS. We have to start signing them. Then there is 1 or 2 Jucos. Then you grab 2 from the surrounding states of AL, LA, and GA. There's your 4 to 5 every year. My opinion is that our O-line recruiting is going to hold our program back this year and several years to come.

BB30
05-24-2016, 09:44 AM
No, I think the point is LSU doesn't have to outwork us for a kid, but they did. Alabama didn't have to outwork us for Lashley, but they did. That's a big problem.

That is clearly stated in my comment. You just need to realize that if that is the case that we are getting out worked that is on the coaches. But, we are going to lose in state OL for reasons other than that just because you outwork someone does not mean you are going to land the kid. There just are not that many legit OL compared to skill players so naturally it is going to be harder to land quality OL than quality skill guys.

sandwolf
05-24-2016, 09:45 AM
But, to think we are going to win a head to head battle with LSU for someone they really want and recruit hard the majority of the time is ignorant.

Just FYI, we win the vast majority of head to head battles with LSU for Mississippi kids that they really want.

BB30
05-24-2016, 09:49 AM
Just FYI, we win the vast majority of head to head battles with LSU for Mississippi kids that they really want.

OL? Because last time I checked they are loaded at the skill positions with kids we were not even in the picture with. We might have got some guys that they offered but were in no way atop their board. They didn't get on Dak (Louisiana kid) until late in the game.

sandwolf
05-24-2016, 09:55 AM
OL? Because last time I checked they are loaded at the skill positions with kids we were not even in the picture with. We might have got some guys that they offered but were in no way atop their board. They didn't get on Dak until late in the game.

I said with MS recruits. Your comment made it sound like any time LSU really wants a MS recruit, that they can just strut their asses on up here and sign them.......and that's just not true. When it comes to MS recruits, we win the vast majority of head to head battles with LSU.

mic
05-24-2016, 10:01 AM

I would love to know what Hevs " big board " OL consists of....

mic
05-24-2016, 10:10 AM
That's something that's easy to say, but hard to pull off. There are usually 1 or 2 excellent linemen in the state of MS. We have to start signing them. Then there is 1 or 2 Jucos. Then you grab 2 from the surrounding states of AL, LA, and GA. There's your 4 to 5 every year. My opinion is that our O-line recruiting is going to hold our program back this year and several years to come.

I agree.. We get out worked for Olinemen Period.
I have said it before with all the contacts CDM has made over his years with Urban , there is no reason Hev's lazy ass can't find a OL from some state not connected to the state of MS.. Get ur ass to the Midwest and recruit .. Just find 1 guy that might be going to Purdue, Indiana, ILL , Iowa state , that were passed on by the big boys from that conference and might just consider playing in the SEC....
Let's just hope TBuck and crew can find us another Reese like they did last year...

maroonmania
05-24-2016, 10:13 AM

I get tired of this. Oh, it was hard to blame Scott Lashley since he had a Bama offer and on and on. I've quit worrying about OL recruiting. It will never change with Hev at the helm and Mullen putting up with it. We will always be held back by lack of studs in the trenches. I've accepted anyway and am at peace with the fact that we are a perennial 7-9 win team under Mullen. We are never really going to challenge to win the SEC except in very unusual circumstances but we are not likely to miss a bowl game either. Winning seasons and bowl games are at least a clear step above what it used to be.

CadaverDawg
05-24-2016, 10:18 AM
I would love to know what Hevs " big board " OL consists of....

http://www.bizbash.com/content/editorial/storyimg/big/dsc-0084jpg.jpg

BB30
05-24-2016, 10:18 AM
We can agree to disagree then. If there was a 5* at the top of their board at a position of need that they had and we were head to head with them we don't win that battle the majority of the time with them or Bama. Chris Jones was a late bloomer, Simmons is the only guy I can think of that we landed that we were in serious competition with Bama and won. Yet, we lose top prospects every year in state to Bama and LSU. Hopefully we get to a point where we can consistently land 5* talent but if there is a guy in MS especially on the OL that is a top recruit we just don't win that battle very often. Who have we beat bama and LSU out for at a position of need such as OL that they didn't sign someone at that same position rated higher?

War Machine Dawg
05-24-2016, 11:51 AM

Horseshit. That's a ****ing excuse for being ****ing lazy. When you have multiple recruits saying the other schools outworked you for their signature, that's just not acceptable. It's one thing to work hard and lose a kid. It's completely different to get outworked. It's the latter with Hev over and over and over and ****ing over aGAIN every damn year. When will enough be enough?

mic
05-24-2016, 11:58 AM
Horseshit. That's a ****ing excuse for being ****ing lazy. When you have multiple recruits saying the other schools outworked you for their signature, that's just not acceptable. It's one thing to work hard and lose a kid. It's completely different to get outworked. It's the latter with Hev over and over and over and ****ing over aGAIN every damn year. When will enough be enough?

Agreed...
If the kid wanted to go to LSU over State that's one thing..
For the kid to say they recruited him harder true or not true is Hev just being lazy.. And until we win a few of these battles with OL I am going with the Lazy reason..
And the " He was higher on their board than ours" that's a bunch of Bullshit if that's Hev excuse...

War Machine Dawg
05-24-2016, 12:05 PM
Agreed...
If the kid wanted to go to LSU over State that's one thing..
For the kid to say they recruited him harder true or not true is Hev just being lazy.. And until we win a few of these battles with OL I am going with the Lazy reason..
And the " He was higher on their board than ours" that's a bunch of Bullshit if that's Hev excuse...

Also, if he really IS higher on LSU's board than ours, what does that say about our OL evaluation? Because the one thing LSU has had offensively for the last decade is a badass OL that just mauls everyone up front.

Tripp McNeely
05-24-2016, 12:11 PM

They're not getting outworked for Charles. They're recruiting him as hard as they think they need to. You have 3-4 more hs OL spots left. They have 4-5 (at least) more guys on their board that they like better and are reasonably confident that they can get. They aren't just keeping him warm, and of course they'd take his commit...but if they get can 3-4 of that other group, not counting Saahdiq, that's the situation they'd prefer, which is why they're not calling him 5 times a day.

Now, if you want to question the calculated risk of a possible "bird in the hand" situation with Saahdiq or question their evaluation/ranking of players on their board...or if they miss on more of the guys they have ranked higher than they need to and have to fall back to the guys they have ranked below Saahdiq...those are completely different/valid arguments...laziness is not.

HancockCountyDog
05-24-2016, 12:12 PM

Its also the hardest position to quickly upgrade. Even signing a dominant JUCO OL doesn't really translate until the end of year 1 and year 2 until they are playing at a high level. Same goes for blue chip HS OL, sometimes for blue chips its end of year 2, and year 3 where they take off. For kids that you need to develop, it can take as long as their RS Sophomore year that they can actually play and then their RS Junior year where they can compete. The problem comes when they peak in their RS sophomore season and don't reach the next level.

That didn't happen with Day and Clausell. I believe it has happened with Desper, Senior and Clayborn. The issue this season is how much better are those guys than Calhoun, Rankin, and Jenkins?

We have an opportunity here to take advanatage of the sanctions that are about to be levied against the bears, last year's OL recruiting where we signed only 3 OL is just unacceptable. Losing out on Lashley and the kid LSU offered late is something we have to correct this year and Im looking at our OL board and Im just not sure where we are going to get the bodies. We need at least 6 OL in this class, with at least two JUCO. Champion is in. Gainer is in. I hear different things on the Jackson kid from Goula, one minute he is a NG, the next he is an OG. Either way, he is project. We need 3 more. We should be able to land 1 national OL in a class. I think Gainer is solid, but he is a guy that will come in, redshirt and compete for a starting spot in year 3. We need one guy on the OL that will compete for a starting spot heading into year 2. I don't know about our out of state recruiting as well as I should, but Im hoping we have at least 2-3 guys that we are competing for.

sandwolf
05-24-2016, 12:47 PM
We can agree to disagree then. If there was a 5* at the top of their board at a position of need that they had and we were head to head with them we don't win that battle the majority of the time with them or Bama. Chris Jones was a late bloomer, Simmons is the only guy I can think of that we landed that we were in serious competition with Bama and won. Yet, we lose top prospects every year in state to Bama and LSU. Hopefully we get to a point where we can consistently land 5* talent but if there is a guy in MS especially on the OL that is a top recruit we just don't win that battle very often. Who have we beat bama and LSU out for at a position of need such as OL that they didn't sign someone at that same position rated higher?

Bama signing 3 of the top 10 in this past class was an anomaly......in the 5 classes prior to this past class, Bama and LSU signed a combined total of 5 high school recruits out of MS and there are multiple guys every year that those schools recruit hard and really want to sign. Obviously those schools will always be a threat with highly sought after MS recruits, but the days of them cherry picking the state are over.....far more often than not, the top in state recruits are going to sign with State or OM.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-24-2016, 01:31 PM

Can't the same thing be said about the WR position....but we seem to be doing all right in that area.

MSUDawg99
05-24-2016, 03:04 PM
Welp! He gone. It's official. He committed to LSU.

Bothrops
05-24-2016, 03:47 PM
Can't the same thing be said about the WR position....but we seem to be doing all right in that area.

To an extent, but the state produces athletes that can become receivers at the next level. We've been discussing where to find O-linemen on this board for a while. MS doesn't produce enough that can play at this level. Most don't turn out. I'm not making excuses for Hev's recruiting problem, just stating fact.

War Machine Dawg
05-24-2016, 06:24 PM
They're not getting outworked for Charles. They're recruiting him as hard as they think they need to. You have 3-4 more hs OL spots left. They have 4-5 (at least) more guys on their board that they like better and are reasonably confident that they can get. They aren't just keeping him warm, and of course they'd take his commit...but if they get can 3-4 of that other group, not counting Saahdiq, that's the situation they'd prefer, which is why they're not calling him 5 times a day.

Now, if you want to question the calculated risk of a possible "bird in the hand" situation with Saahdiq or question their evaluation/ranking of players on their board...or if they miss on more of the guys they have ranked higher than they need to and have to fall back to the guys they have ranked below Saahdiq...those are completely different/valid arguments...laziness is not.

http://i.imgur.com/guvlfq1.gif

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2016, 06:37 PM

I'm not saying you are right or wrong, but it really all comes down to the belief that Hev has lost the benefit of the doubt and cannot be trusted to put together an SEC caliber offensive line.

When looking at last year, Lashley, his recruiting, and lack of recruiting one NFL caliber offensive lineman, it's clear he cannot be trusted. He can earn it back, but it will take time. His incompetence single handedly sabatoged the senior season of the greatest player in school history. Pardon us if we are a bit skeptical about what his recruiting may or may not be.

I_Spy
05-24-2016, 06:38 PM
As if it's like a diversion, a decoy or something ....using this or that one to get one you want? I'm MRA graduate so I will say young Mr. Charles nut be outstanding. Stats are the proof (against good competition anyway) and the truth is ...it is clear there is only 1 SEC school growing in ALL sports and could rule the SEC in a 2-3 yr window, which is us if we get a good offensive line. We didn't come this far not to finish.

Goldendawg
05-24-2016, 06:54 PM
I guess he already committed to LSU. He's already off our list of targets on 24/7. He was being recruited by two coaches. One was Ogeron. Can't imagine him out recruiting us for an O-lineman. We've got to do something to break this cycle in Ms. Hope Hev is not McCorvey 2.0.

I_Spy
05-24-2016, 06:56 PM
Well, first we define our goals, secondly we reach them

We need an offensive line.

I_Spy
05-24-2016, 07:13 PM
Well congrats to him even if he chose LSU as long as it isn't the Mississippi Bears.

I_Spy
05-24-2016, 07:32 PM
It truly is like 4 people (football) and Malik bringing back numbers getting comfy away from my dream. Let's be efficient. I trust the coaches, they did get us this far..

Congrats to all kids reaching goals though.

Todd4State
05-24-2016, 10:54 PM
Hevesey also missed badly on Brandon Mahaffey from Brandon who went to EMCC and grew up a MSU fan. He would have been a solid center for us last year. He did a great job at La Tech.

Hevesey has multiple issues. He can't recruit. He hasn't shown consistently that he can develop the guys he does get- which would offset the recruiting issues at least somewhat. He hasn't proven that he can identify talent. And to top it off he has people like Desper playing out of position.

He is a train wreck that is holding our program back- and Dan needs to do something about it.

BB30
05-25-2016, 08:35 AM
Hevesey also missed badly on Brandon Mahaffey from Brandon who went to EMCC and grew up a MSU fan. He would have been a solid center for us last year. He did a great job at La Tech.

Hevesey has multiple issues. He can't recruit. He hasn't shown consistently that he can develop the guys he does get- which would offset the recruiting issues at least somewhat. He hasn't proven that he can identify talent. And to top it off he has people like Desper playing out of position.

He is a train wreck that is holding our program back- and Dan needs to do something about it.

Hev is probably not the best option obviously. That being said, for everyone that thinks we are going to sign stud highly rated OL if we just switch coaches they will be disappointed. I would like to see us get rid of Hev if he is a liability at developing guys. We need an O-line coach that can develop extremely well and yes recruit better. I just don't think a coaching change will magically fix our struggles with signing top rated OL. History is not on our side even when Jackie was here and we were competitive or at any point in our history that we were competitive we weren't signing stud O linemen. I do think we could pay for a very very good OL coach and that is something we haven't had the luxury of in the past. We have some money to throw at some guys and need to do it. I feel like we have improved our staff at every position except for OL. The great thing about our offense is we don't have to have road graders, just competent OL. I also think we have some good prospects on our roster with some size and athleticism. It seems like everyone hates the term developmental program. For now I think we just need to continue to win and not have a 3 -5 win season. Keep winning Rome was not built in a day the more we win the better perception our university will have and the easier recruiting will get. We are putting together a pretty solid class this year and still have some solid OL on our board. I think we can win 7-9 games every year and every few years compete for the west as of now. Hopefully with that success it leads to more consistent recruiting and more consistent success. We all want the same thing and I think we are on the right path just have to make a few tweaks here and there. Sorry for the book.

HancockCountyDog
05-25-2016, 08:38 AM
Im going to judge Hev this year on how he does with the Juco OL. We need JUCO OL badly. There is a kid at MGCCC that is getting a lot of SEC interest, hopefully we can grab him.

We need bodies that are ready to play in 2017.

Coach34
05-25-2016, 08:52 AM
Im going to judge Hev this year on how he does with the Juco OL. We need JUCO OL badly. There is a kid at MGCCC that is getting a lot of SEC interest, hopefully we can grab him.

We need bodies that are ready to play in 2017.

Siddoway
Trapp
Johnson
Rankin

Our percentage isn't good on jucos coming in ready to play

Todd4State
05-25-2016, 09:50 AM
Hev is probably not the best option obviously. That being said, for everyone that thinks we are going to sign stud highly rated OL if we just switch coaches they will be disappointed. I would like to see us get rid of Hev if he is a liability at developing guys. We need an O-line coach that can develop extremely well and yes recruit better. I just don't think a coaching change will magically fix our struggles with signing top rated OL. History is not on our side even when Jackie was here and we were competitive or at any point in our history that we were competitive we weren't signing stud O linemen. I do think we could pay for a very very good OL coach and that is something we haven't had the luxury of in the past. We have some money to throw at some guys and need to do it. I feel like we have improved our staff at every position except for OL. The great thing about our offense is we don't have to have road graders, just competent OL. I also think we have some good prospects on our roster with some size and athleticism. It seems like everyone hates the term developmental program. For now I think we just need to continue to win and not have a 3 -5 win season. Keep winning Rome was not built in a day the more we win the better perception our university will have and the easier recruiting will get. We are putting together a pretty solid class this year and still have some solid OL on our board. I think we can win 7-9 games every year and every few years compete for the west as of now. Hopefully with that success it leads to more consistent recruiting and more consistent success. We all want the same thing and I think we are on the right path just have to make a few tweaks here and there. Sorry for the book.

I think landing 1-2 4 star guys on the o-line is very reasonable. Just to put my expectations out there for clarity. Developing the players is a given.

HancockCountyDog
05-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Siddoway
Trapp
Johnson
Rankin

Our percentage isn't good on jucos coming in ready to play

I don't think we have a choice in 2017.

We will have the following kids on the OL heading into 2017:

Rankin, Sr - Unknown
Calhoun, Jr - Looks solid
Story, So - Unknown
D. Williams, So - Unknown
Ronald Cochran, Jr - Unknown
Elgton Jenkins, JR - looks solid
Harrison Moon, So - Unknown

Senior, Clayborn and Desper are going to play a lot this year. We have 3 incoming freshman that everyone agrees will redshirt, so they are also unknowns.

We will need to see something from Cochran and Story, the question will be whether they get the snaps ahead of Desper and Senior and gain the experience so that they can be ready for 2017.

If not, we need to have Jucos ready to compete.

HoopsDawg
05-25-2016, 10:13 AM
I don't think we have a choice in 2017.

We will have the following kids on the OL heading into 2017:

Rankin, Sr - Unknown
Calhoun, Jr - Looks solid
Story, So - Unknown
D. Williams, So - Unknown
Ronald Cochran, Jr - Unknown
Elgton Jenkins, JR - looks solid
Harrison Moon, So - Unknown

That is scary.

HancockCountyDog
05-25-2016, 10:31 AM
That is scary.

It all depends on how Rankin, Story, Jenkins, and Cochran develop. I think Calhoun will be a 13 game starter this year at one of the OG spots. Im assuming Desper will start at the other OG spot, I just don't know who beats him out. I hope he gets pushed by Williams or Cochran, but I just don't know.

At OT, I expect Senior and Rankin to be the starters with Jenkins pushing them both. Im not as high on Jenkins as everyone else, but hopefully Im wrong. The key will be how much playing time Story can get. I've heard good things, but I just don't see how he jumps those 3 guys to get meaningful snaps at OT this year. We need him to.

Overall, this and our WRs in 2017 are the biggest issues on our football program.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-25-2016, 10:33 AM
It all depends on how Rankin, Story, Jenkins, and Cochran develop. I think Calhoun will be a 13 game starter this year at one of the OG spots. Im assuming Desper will start at the other OG spot, I just don't know who beats him out. I hope he gets pushed by Williams or Cochran, but I just don't know.

At OT, I expect Senior and Rankin to be the starters with Jenkins pushing them both. Im not as high on Jenkins as everyone else, but hopefully Im wrong. The key will be how much playing time Story can get. I've heard good things, but I just don't see how he jumps those 3 guys to get meaningful snaps at OT this year. We need him to.

Overall, this and our WRs in 2017 are the biggest issues on our football program.

I think Darryl Williams ends up being the best of the backups by far. I think he will be better than Deion Calhoun.

HancockCountyDog
05-25-2016, 10:41 AM
I think Darryl Williams ends up being the best of the backups by far. I think he will be better than Deion Calhoun.

Where is he set to play? Im guessing C? The backup C is currently Jocquell, but that may not be real.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-25-2016, 10:54 AM
Where is he set to play? Im guessing C? The backup C is currently Jocquell, but that may not be real.

Guard. They're grooming Harrison Moon to be the center of the future but I'm sure Williams could play Center if needed.

BankerDog
05-25-2016, 11:40 AM
I think landing 1-2 4 star guys on the o-line is very reasonable. Just to put my expectations out there for clarity. Developing the players is a given.

Jake Thomas was a 4* guy. So was Damien Robinson. And Devon Desper was one I believe.