PDA

View Full Version : Jake Mangum is unreal

cheewgumm
05-20-2016, 08:21 AM
I know everyone has already commented on it but Dayum.... 5-5.

Taog Redloh
05-20-2016, 09:39 AM
Unfortunately it's highly unlikely he keeps up that type of production for 3 years. It's a shame for his sake he can't go pro this year. But either way he's going to be a deadly leadoff guy for us for the foreseeable future.

blacklistedbully
05-20-2016, 09:46 AM
I've been thinking lately that, if he keeps this up, he'll end up being idolized and remembered like Will Clark & Raffy (minus the steroids controversy).

msstate7
05-20-2016, 09:46 AM
Unfortunately it's highly unlikely he keeps up that type of production for 3 years. It's a shame for his sake he can't go pro this year. But either way he's going to be a deadly leadoff guy for us for the foreseeable future.
I think his BA will most likely go down during his career, but his extra base hits will go up.

AlmostPositive
05-20-2016, 09:47 AM

He's kept it up all season... you think he's going to get worse as he grows and gets more experience?

Taog Redloh
05-20-2016, 09:56 AM
He's kept it up all season... you think he's going to get worse as he grows and gets more experience?

I hope he does, I love the guy, don't get me wrong. Just seems impossible.

Taog Redloh
05-20-2016, 09:57 AM
I think his BA will most likely go down during his career, but his extra base hits will go up.

Agree I think he becomes a better hitter overall despite the numbers. He'll always be on base too, no matter the method.

SaintDawg
05-20-2016, 10:16 AM
I hope he does, I love the guy, don't get me wrong. Just seems impossible.

Not impossible. Improbable. Keep the faith. This young grasshopper's kung fu is strong.

KB21
05-20-2016, 10:19 AM
I think you will see him sacrifice some contact for power as he fills out his body.

Jack Lambert
05-20-2016, 10:36 AM
We need to send his ass to Iraq. He would defeat ISIS in two days. One day to walk and swim over there and another one to whip that ass.

Taog Redloh
05-20-2016, 12:01 PM
We need to send his ass to Iraq. He would defeat ISIS in two days. One day to walk and swim over there and another one to whip that ass.

The ABILITY to defeat ISIS is not our problem. Never has been.

msstate7
05-20-2016, 12:03 PM

Well we provide the motivation to join ISIS**

JoseBrown
05-20-2016, 04:23 PM
Back to Magnum....kid sure knows how to get the bat on the ball, and in play..other than missing on the hit n run last night, I can't remember him really just missing one he wanted to put in play.. It's crazy what he's been able to do this year.

starkvegasdawg
05-20-2016, 04:35 PM

Not a matter of getting worse. A matter of just how hard it is to maintain a .400 average despite how much talent you have. There's a reason it's only been done 30 times in MLB over a season over the last 130 years.

smootness
05-20-2016, 04:50 PM
Not a matter of getting worse. A matter of just how hard it is to maintain a .400 average despite how much talent you have. There's a reason it's only been done 30 times in MLB over a season over the last 130 years.

I agree. I doubt he hits .400 in a season again, but I'm also not going to put it past him. I think he'll at least stay in the .350+ range.

Jack Lambert
05-20-2016, 04:54 PM

It was a joke kind of like Chuck Norris jokes. Kind of like "Chuck Norris dick has a dick" "Jake can destroy ISIS with one swing of the bat"

msstate7
05-20-2016, 04:56 PM
I agree. I doubt he hits .400 in a season again, but I'm also not going to put it past him. I think he'll at least stay in the .350+ range.

His babip is .450. I know some of this is due to his incredible speed, but you can't count on that percentage going forward

Homedawg
05-20-2016, 09:53 PM
His babip is .450. I know some of this is due to his incredible speed, but you can't count on that percentage going forward

Agree it will be hard to duplicate. However, the reason it's so high is because he rarely hits routine fly balls. Babip counts ever ball as equal and they aren't. That's why it's not an equivalent stat for everyone.

smootness
05-20-2016, 09:57 PM
Agree it will be hard to duplicate. However, the reason it's so high is because he rarely hits routine fly balls. Babip counts ever ball as equal and they aren't. That's why it's not an equivalent stat for everyone.

True, BABIP is most useful when comparing a player to his past self, and we don't really have past info on Mangum. That said, no one's normal level is .450, even in college. At least, you would think...

AlmostPositive
05-20-2016, 10:05 PM
I am no baseball expert, but common sense tells you Mangum should be a marginally better hitter next year. Unless you're saying his average this year is somehow flukish and not representative of his ability, I'm not sure we'd expect him to have a lower batting average next year. It's not like somebody tossing coins and trying to match the time they got 8 heads in a row...

edited to add: I really barely know what I'm talking about.

Homedawg
05-20-2016, 10:06 PM
True, BABIP is most useful when comparing a player to his past self, and we don't really have past info on Mangum. That said, no one's normal level is .450, even in college. At least, you would think...

True, but the normal guy doesn't hit 400 and in order to do so, the babip has to be "so high he can't maintain that level". If palemeiro would have played in a babip era his would have been unreal high too!

msstate7
05-20-2016, 10:34 PM
I am no baseball expert, but common sense tells you Mangum should be a marginally better hitter next year. Unless you're saying his average this year is somehow flukish and not representative of his ability, I'm not sure we'd expect him to have a lower batting average next year. It's not like somebody tossing coins and trying to match the time they got 8 heads in a row...

edited to add: I really barely know what I'm talking about.

Mangum could very well be a better hitter next season even if his avg drops. For example, next season he could hit more linedrives towards the gaps in the outfield... There will be plenty that don't find grass, but some will so he could be hitting doubles and triples instead of singles. Then again, he may hit .500 doing just what he's doing now

Schultzy
05-20-2016, 10:56 PM
Charlie Hustle

LakesDawg
05-20-2016, 11:18 PM
Does anyone know his BA batting left vs. right? He seems consistent either way. Best catch I've seen maybe ever by a left fielder running towards the line.

AlmostPositive
05-20-2016, 11:23 PM
Does anyone know his BA batting left vs. right? He seems consistent either way. Best catch I've seen maybe ever by a left fielder running towards the line.

It's something like .470 batting left and .330 batting right. The announcers mentioned it toward the end of the broadcast I believe.

djaymsu5
05-20-2016, 11:35 PM
I've mentioned this before but the announcers even said it in the inning we went up 3-1. The thing that sets Mangum apart from most players is his ability to stay "locked in" on every single play and on every single at bat. He doesn't give up AB's at all. It's very very hard to go 5-5 obviously like he did yesterday. Regardless of how big he gets he will always hit for a high average whether it's over 400 or high 300's he has a great eye for the baseball and makes every pitch count. The kid is a freaking gamer and he's one of those kids that just has the natural feel for the game and from the 1st to last pitch he's going to give every single thing he has. A lot of guys on this team seem to have it this year. Depending on how far this team gets this year will determine if it's my favorite overall team we have ever had or not but its definitely got the potential. I love this team and I really think we might win it all this year. Every single game I feel like we are going to win regardless of who we play.

smootness
05-21-2016, 12:18 AM
True, but the normal guy doesn't hit 400 and in order to do so, the babip has to be "so high he can't maintain that level". If palemeiro would have played in a babip era his would have been unreal high too!

BABIP era? They can still calculate past results as well.

Palmeiro hit over .400 his first 2 years at State. His BABIP those years? .376 and .350. Because he hardly ever struck out and hit a crap ton of HR. Just like Ted Williams' BABIP the year he hit .406 was .378.

Seth Beer, for another example, is hitting .392 with a BABIP of .369. Sustaining a .450 BABIP is obviously easier in college, but I still doubt he's able to do it. That said, if he can cut down on the K's even further and hit more HR, he won't have to sustain a BABIP quite as high.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
05-21-2016, 05:39 AM
He's a very special player that don't come around very often! He gives relentless effort in every aspect of the game!

DanDority
05-21-2016, 10:00 AM
It's something like .470 batting left and .330 batting right. The announcers mentioned it toward the end of the broadcast I believe.

.295 from the right.

JETDAWG
05-21-2016, 10:19 AM
IT IS IMPORTANT FOR JAKE TO CONTINUE TO BE AGGRESSIVE, HE DOESN'T CARE IF IT WILL BE CALLED A BALL, IF HE LIKES IT HE CRUSHES IT.
HE'S GOT TO CONTINUE THIS APPROACH FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS, LEARN HIS ZONE AND ATTACK.

TheRef
05-21-2016, 10:29 AM
IT IS IMPORTANT FOR JAKE TO CONTINUE TO BE AGGRESSIVE, HE DOESN'T CARE IF IT WILL BE CALLED A BALL, IF HE LIKES IT HE CRUSHES IT.
HE'S GOT TO CONTINUE THIS APPROACH FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS, LEARN HIS ZONE AND ATTACK.

Caps lock, buddy.

the59dawg
05-21-2016, 10:36 AM

Yes they did, but I heard them say .457 left and .260 something right. Was amazed he was so low righty. Those sliders inside killed him yesterday against Campbell.

JETDAWG
05-23-2016, 02:07 PM
my bad, not yelling, just not paying attention.