PDA

View Full Version : UNM to buy lands around campus...what are they REALLY gonna do w/the land?

Indndawg
05-20-2016, 06:37 AM
http://www.wtva.com/news/University_purchases_adjacent_land_for_12_million_ .html

1) A new building, dedicated to the physics of gravity
2) A new spice development facility
3)..............................opines?

starkvegasdawg
05-20-2016, 06:45 AM
Ground to bury NCAA investigators that ask too many questions.

the59dawg
05-20-2016, 07:35 AM
Will build a wall to keep ncaa out

TrapGame
05-20-2016, 07:44 AM
Mass graves for the suicides in the Grove the 2nd letter hits.

Dawgbite
05-20-2016, 07:46 AM
Building a pseudo red light district for all the prostitutes in training.

starkvegasdawg
05-20-2016, 07:46 AM
Building a pseudo red light district for all the prostitutes in training.

They've already got that. It's called sorority row.

Jack Lambert
05-20-2016, 07:52 AM
They are probably looking to get out of the waste dump that Oxford is fast becoming.

Cspire picked Miss State because historically Starkville area is the most safe place to be in a natural disaster. They are probably looking to do something for emergency storage for record or something along those lines.

maroonmania
05-20-2016, 08:20 AM
UNM probably just needs more land to build and provide upscale housing for the families of signees.

SailingDawg
05-20-2016, 08:36 AM
More land for their "marijuana research" facility.

engie
05-20-2016, 08:46 AM
Will all of their athletics facilities actually be on campus now? I know all of the baseball facilites, the Manning center, etc were all built on City Of Oxford land with a long-term lease...

BeardoMSU
05-20-2016, 09:04 AM
The land is mostly wooded property. The om administration was forced to purchase it in order to protect the grove from Bucky's nervous gnawing, which has recently gotten out of hand.

https://rutheh.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/img_4643.jpg

lastmajordog
05-20-2016, 09:14 AM
They've already got that. It's called sorority row.

"ewwww.....that one hurt!!" John lovitz (league of their own)

TrapGame
05-20-2016, 09:44 AM
Maybe om is expanding restroom options for their transgender students, the frat boys.

JoseBrown
05-20-2016, 10:41 AM
The land is mostly wooded property. The om administration was forced to purchase it in order to protect the grove from Bucky's nervous gnawing, which has recently gotten out of hand.

Since I don't know, THIS is what I choose to believe. Nice!

RocketDawg
05-20-2016, 10:57 AM
$1M/acre seems awfully expensive just as a preemptive purchase. Actually, it seems awfully expensive for any type purchase in such a small town. That would be a lot of marijuana "research" ... maybe they're going to start growing it commercially, along with a few poppies.

Liverpooldawg
05-20-2016, 11:14 AM
I get that you weren't looking for a serious response but here goes: They really are about out of land for new builds. They didn't have to foresight to buy up the land around the campus decades ago and they have been hemmed in by the town.

As to what they are really going to do with it: it's part of Bucky's payoff to step aside before the hammer drops. They are going to build a nice pond and plant a forest of tasty trees.

TrapGame
05-20-2016, 11:20 AM
I get that you weren't looking for a serious response but here goes: They really are about out of land for new builds. They didn't have to foresight to buy up the land around the campus decades ago and they have been hemmed in by the town.

As to what they are really going to do with it: it's part of Bucky's payoff to step aside before the hammer drops. They are going to build a nice pond and plant a forest of tasty trees.

Bucky doesn't have a 401K. He has 40 acres of good chewing trees as his retirement.

RougeDawg
05-20-2016, 02:49 PM
They heard the NCAA was looking to build a permanent facility in Oxford and are trying to keep them further away from campus.

KB549
05-20-2016, 03:02 PM
It made me wonder, if I owned those 12 acres, would I

(A) take their money and laugh all the way to the bank with it

(B) make it a complete eyesore that didn't violate city ordinances just to piss them off

(C) turn it into a trailer park for meth heads

(D) put a store on it that sold penny loafers, bow ties, red pants, and cold chicken tenders and retire in style

TUSK
05-20-2016, 04:27 PM
It made me wonder, if I owned those 12 acres, would I

(A) take their money and laugh all the way to the bank with it

(B) make it a complete eyesore that didn't violate city ordinances just to piss them off

(C) turn it into a trailer park for meth heads

(D) put a store on it that sold penny loafers, bow ties, red pants, and cold chicken tenders and retire in style

as the resident Bammer here, I'll take "C"....

BossDawg
05-20-2016, 05:07 PM
Will build a wall to keep ncaa out

Ha! +1

realitycheck
05-20-2016, 05:13 PM
They are probably looking to get out of the waste dump that Oxford is fast becoming.

Cspire picked Miss State because historically Starkville area is the most safe place to be in a natural disaster. They are probably looking to do something for emergency storage for record or something along those lines.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-sec-college-towns-expert-poll

Bucky Dog
05-20-2016, 05:21 PM
Damn, $1 million per acre!! I'm curious to know who they bought the land from.

ScottH
05-20-2016, 06:24 PM
I had lunch with my longtime friend that is a Dean at UM today and asked him.

He wasn't sure about that parcel specifically but said there was a subtle movement to relocate frat row in it's entirety that has has surprising amount of traction at this point. Far from done deal but at least in talking/studying stages. Apparently only a fraternity or two actually owns their property.

The prime RE would be reclaimed for general university expansion. Tennis center could be cannibalized as well. He named some other structures but I am not familiar enough with the campus to recall them.

BossDawg
05-20-2016, 06:32 PM
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-sec-college-towns-expert-poll

Lol, "realitycheck", this guy ^^^.

No telling how much UM paid to get that ranking. Think about it. Indeed, Oxford has had a strangely high number of articles written about how "awesome" it is. Do you really think the town is so badass that some random columnist 6, 7, 8 or so states away feels compelled to write an article about how it's some hidden Utopia? In North MS of all places? As if the writers have never been to a town just as "awesome" outside of the poorest state in America. There isn't a thing you can do in Oxford that you can't do or see in any other college town.

If it's so badass, how come you have to pay athletes a ridiculous amount of cash and prizes just to visit? If it's so awesome, why is your football program still the only team without a legit West title? Why is punching your ticket to Omaha like pulling teeth? Shouldn't the baseball players be flocking to such a AMAZING town? Why are you the only basketball team in the SEC without a regular season conference championship if Oxford is some bastion of greatness? You know, people are selling everything they own to get there, right?

All these reach arounds Oxford gets through the media remind me a lot of the whole Blind Side garbage. It's just a bunch of exaggerated fluff fabricated by some UM homers and force fed down the public's throat.

Central Pork
05-20-2016, 06:40 PM

That is hilarious!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/HfTubrLqXCE/maxresdefault.jpg

IMissJack
05-20-2016, 06:42 PM
There isn't a thing you can do in Oxford that you can't do or see in any other college town.

All these reach arounds Oxford gets through the media remind me a lot of the whole Blind Side garbage. It's just a bunch of exaggerated fluff fabricated by some UM homers and force fed down the public's throat.

Have you seen their promo add during games on TV, " #1 Beautiful Campus, The town is off the hook, Academics are off the hook too..."

Last I heard they had the lowest ranked academics in the SEC.

realitycheck
05-20-2016, 07:36 PM
Lol, "realitycheck", this guy ^^^.

No telling how much UM paid to get that ranking. Think about it. Indeed, Oxford has had a strangely high number of articles written about how "awesome" it is. Do you really think the town is so badass that some random columnist 6, 7, 8 or so states away feels compelled to write an article about how it's some hidden Utopia? In North MS of all places? As if the writers have never been to a town just as "awesome" outside of the poorest state in America. There isn't a thing you can do in Oxford that you can't do or see in any other college town.

If it's so badass, how come you have to pay athletes a ridiculous amount of cash and prizes just to visit? If it's so awesome, why is your football program still the only team without a legit West title? Why is punching your ticket to Omaha like pulling teeth? Shouldn't the baseball players be flocking to such a AMAZING town? Why are you the only basketball team in the SEC without a regular season conference championship if Oxford is some bastion of greatness? You know, people are selling everything they own to get there, right?

Hey man don't shoot the messenger...like I said it's bullshit

Mutt the Hoople
05-20-2016, 09:56 PM
1999 called...it wanted its rankings back.

shoeless joe
05-21-2016, 06:50 AM
They may turn it into a cotton field...since they don't forget the times there