PDA

View Full Version : New baseball player

MsStateBaseball
08-19-2013, 12:08 PM
is Seth Heck 5-11, 170 middle infielder from Washington state. He is a JC transfer. I don't know if he is a walk on or not but it doesn't matter. His JC offensive stats are really good. Hit .330, led his team in HBP, SB and hits. And he was their Gold Glove winner at short stop. I knew Cohen would get a JC middle infielder for depth at least. I think there is another one from the gulf coast but his name escapes me right now. Anyway, Seth seems to be in a mold of Pirtle and Frazier. Can you hear Jim Ellis now? "What a heck of a play by Heck" Fall ball right around the corner.

reddog
08-19-2013, 12:12 PM
thanks for the info

Bulldawg1994
08-19-2013, 12:18 PM
If he hits like Frazier that's all good with me!

Todd4State
08-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Heck is your typical Cohen middle infielder. He hits for average, gets hit by pitches a lot and plays good defense. He is also going to steal some bases as well.

The player to be named later from the Gulf Coast is Kyle Clement who is from New Iberia, La. and played at Mississippi Gulf Coast CC last year. He will be a sophomore this year, so he has three years left to play. He led MGCCC in the triple crown categories with 6 home runs, 38 RBI's, and hitting .347. He also led them in slugging percentage. Clement is a third baseman though, so he will compete for that spot which is interesting to me because the thought has always been that Reid Humphries would be the favorite there. But that could possibly make playing Reid in the outfield more of a possibility.

Clement his senior year in high school hit 14 home runs and also hit .545. He is a little bit on the short side as he is listed at 5'10" 170- which is probably why MsBaseball thought he was a middle infielder. He also signed with Southeastern Louisiana out of high school.

maroonmania
08-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Heck is your typical Cohen middle infielder. He hits for average, gets hit by pitches a lot and plays good defense. He is also going to steal some bases as well.

The player to be named later from the Gulf Coast is Kyle Clement who is from New Iberia, La. and played at Mississippi Gulf Coast CC last year. He will be a sophomore this year, so he has three years left to play. He led MGCCC in the triple crown categories with 6 home runs, 38 RBI's, and hitting .347. He also led them in slugging percentage. Clement is a third baseman though, so he will compete for that spot which is interesting to me because the thought has always been that Reid Humphries would be the favorite there. But that could possibly make playing Reid in the outfield more of a possibility.

Clement his senior year in high school hit 14 home runs and also hit .545. He is a little bit on the short side as he is listed at 5'10" 170- which is probably why MsBaseball thought he was a middle infielder. He also signed with Southeastern Louisiana out of high school.

Sounds like he has pretty good pop for a small guy.

MsStateBaseball
08-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Cohen and staff are very good at plugging the "holes" we have in the lineup esp with JC guys. SS and 3B now have at least some depth. Fall ball will go a long way to see where these guys end up. Again, I expect a very busy fall with recruiting for the next 2 years. Lots of players visiting this fall.

Todd4State
08-19-2013, 01:52 PM
I think a lot of the JUCO guys are to as you said fill holes and to also try to get our scholarship numbers straightened out where we won't have a big class and then a small class.

Weekend rotation:

Woodruff, Lindgren, Fitts, Young, and Hudson. Four out of those five candidates were drafted and Fitts was the Alabama pitcher of the year as a junior even though he wasn't drafted out of high school.

Bullpen:

Holder, Bracewell, Ross, Will Cox, Myles Gentry, and now we add Ben Hudspeth and Lucas Laster plus whatever freshmen arms step up.

Cather:

Cody Walker, Daniel Garner, and Gavin Collins. Lot of new faces, but more talent than last year.

1B- Rea. Brent Rooker, Trent Simpson, and Daryl Ingram will give us better depth at this position than last year.
2B- Pirtle with Heck, Hann, and Britton pushing for this position if we play Pirtle at SS.
3B- Probably between Reid Humphries and Kyle Clement. If Gavin Collins or Brent Rooker hit well early- they could find a home here as well.
SS- Pretty much the same group as second base. I could see Pirtle here if he is our best option defensively. I really like Hann and Heck sounds like a good player as well. Reid Humphries will be in the mix as well.

RF- I'd say the new JUCO acquisitions make it more likely than Humphries plays here now. Gavin Collins and Brent Rooker will probably get some looks out here as well.
CF- CT. Just needs to stay healthy and if he does, I think he has his best year here. We have Robson if he gets hurt though.
LF- Demarcus and Robson. Maybe they platoon? Both are quality players. Derrick Armstrong will be a good role player for us as a pinch hitter/pinch runner.

DH- Detz. The new players will allow us to use him where he fits best. If he can improve his defense, it will help us out tremendously because then we can use one of the freshmen here.

War Machine Dawg
08-19-2013, 02:11 PM
No love for Little Vick, Todd? I think he'll push to start at one of the corner OF spots.

Todd4State
08-19-2013, 03:01 PM
My bad. I just forgot about him.

TrueMaroon
08-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Has Clemente signed?

Todd4State
08-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Has Clemente signed?

Roberto? I'll take him.

My guess is Clement is a walk-on. He is going to be here in the fall and that has been confirmed by Mississippi Gulf Coast CC.

MsStateBaseball
08-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Some more on Heck from Perfect Game: he shows polish, good hands and feet w a clean transfer and release. He delivers the ball on target to first and simply makes plays. Offensively, he has surprising pop for a player his size. He has a quick bat and looks to make line drive contact. His PG grade was 8 out of 10. This was written when he was a senior in high school two years ago, so you expect him to improve on everything. What a great pick up he is. If he can give us half what Frazier did at SS or 2B, well that would be something.

I seen it dawg
08-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Clement is a great kid that can hit from someone I ran into in Denver airport. Seriously I got it from a South La guy that's tuned into baseball down there.

godlluB
08-19-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm excited about next year. When does baseball season start again?

CadaverDawg
08-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Some more on Heck from Perfect Game: he shows polish, good hands and feet w a clean transfer and release. He delivers the ball on target to first and simply makes plays. Offensively, he has surprising pop for a player his size. He has a quick bat and looks to make line drive contact. His PG grade was 8 out of 10. This was written when he was a senior in high school two years ago, so you expect him to improve on everything. What a great pick up he is. If he can give us half what Frazier did at SS or 2B, well that would be something.

Nothing like a little late summer baseball wool. Thanks for the update man, keep the good news coming. It feels good to be a National Title Contender. That's right, Mississippi State University, competing for National Championships.

MsStateBaseball
08-20-2013, 05:46 AM
Starts the day you give your lady flowers and some sugar: February 14.

Down south guy
02-18-2014, 10:40 PM
Clement is a great kid that can hit from someone I ran into in Denver airport. Seriously I got it from a South La guy that's tuned into baseball down there.

Do you know who you spoke with in the Denver airport? Trying to get some info on the Clement kid.