PDA

View Full Version : Latest Newman Article

Big4Dawg
05-19-2016, 12:54 PM
https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/malik-newman-contemplating-return-to-mississippi-state/179031276

CHICAGO -- Malik Newman will pull out of the NBA Draft and return to Mississippi State for his sophomore season if his father is not satisfied with his projected draft status.

Once projected as high as the No. 4 pick by DraftExpress.com, the 6-foot-3 1/2 Newman is currently slotted at No. 52. He has not hired an agent and has until May 25 to decide about returning to campus.

"Right now everyone is projecting him a second round pick and, to be quite honest with you, I don't know if we're going to take the chance on being a second-round pick," Horatio Webster, Newman's father and a former Mississippi State star, told SNY.tv by phone on Thursday. "Being that he's just a freshman, if he don't get a promise or something that's concrete, then we're not going to take the chance on being a second-round pick. He would pull his name out by the 25th."

Newman famously chose Mississippi State over Kentucky and Kansas and then did not live up to the hype due to series of nagging injuries including turf toe and a back injury.

In his lone season on campus, the preseason All-SEC Second Team honoree averaged 11.3 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.2 assists and the Bulldogs failed to make the NCAA Tournament.

"I just think it was the injuries," Newman told me last week at the NBA Draft Combine. "I mean nagging injury after nagging injury. I never could get 100 percent during the season. That's really the only thing I can think of."

At the Combine, he averaged 6.5 points and 1.0 assist in two games.

"I don't think he did enough to be a first-round [pick] but if it's a good situation in the second round then we would entertain it," Webster said. "If not then he will go back to school."

ESPN's Fran Fraschilla thinks coming back for a sophomore year would be a good idea.

"Injuries slowed Malik down this year," he told SNY.tv. "He had a couple of moments of brilliance at the Combine but I think it's best to put together a solid sophomore season."

Newman worked out with the Bulls while in Chicago and has upcoming workouts with Milwaukee (Friday), the Nets (May 22) and the Knicks (24). The Nets own the No. 55 pick and are trying to add a late-first or early-second round pick, while the Knicks don't own a pick and are trying to do the same.

"I haven't really been asking what's my range or where I might go but I've been getting some quality feedback," Newman said.

The failures of both Newman and Ben Simmons (a projected top-2 pick) to make the NCAA Tournament has fueled a belief by some that future McDonald's All-American-type players will choose bluebloods like Kentucky, Kansas and Duke over places like Mississippi State and LSU.

But Newman isn't buying it.

"Of course not because everything that I went through at Mississippi State made me the person that I am right now today," Newman said. "And so who says that I go to Kentucky or even [Simmons] goes to Kentucky and our seasons still don't turn out the same? So I mean just because it was a thing of it's Kentucky and Kentucky is a blueblood school...I feel like a school is a school and it's up to the team to prove how far that team goes."

Despite his perceiving declining stock, Newman says he has nothing to prove.

"I feel like the only thing I have to prove is that nothing has changed about Malik Newman," he said. "I feel like I'm healthy right now, I'm 100 percent and it's just all about going there showing that I can play with these elite guys and I am an elite guy."

If Newman returns to campus, he could showcase himself in 2016-17 and try to help his stock for the 2017 Draft.

Still, Webster said he wasn't sure his son was used properly under coach Ben Howland.

"I don't know if he was used the right way, either," Webster said. "Fifty percent of the time he was just sitting in the corner, which I think Ben is a phenomenal coach. Ben did whatever he could to make your team win so I'm not knocking him for that but I just think Malik is really good with the ball in his hand and he didn't get a chance to show that part of his game, either."

Asked if he was considering transferring, Webster said of Newman, "No."

The first bold quote and 2nd bold quote contradict each other. But overall, positive.

redstickdawg
05-19-2016, 01:01 PM
come on back home

RougeDawg
Sounds like a confused bunch, slightly out of touch with reality.

Here's to hoping he comes back. We will be a force to reckon with next year.

Thick
I think he's coming back.

DancingRabbit
I don't read those as contradictory.

First one says that just a projection of going in the 2nd round with no concrete offers is not good enough to stay in the draft. (He might not get drafted at all)

Second one says that if they see a good situation in the 2nd round (concrete offer), then they will entertain it.

Big4Dawg
05-19-2016, 01:05 PM
I don't read those as contradictory.

First one says that just a projection of going in the 2nd round with no concrete offers is not good enough to stay in the draft. (He might not get drafted at all)

Second one says that if they see a good situation in the 2nd round (concrete offer), then they will entertain it.

Ah. okay. So unless a team they are interested tells him "we are picking you in the 2nd", he's coming back.

basedog
05-19-2016, 01:10 PM
Wow, Webster is saying he isn't sure Ben used him correctly, stood around the corner, didn't get to show case his ability with ball in his hand. Hmmm, what I saw was Malik's inability to finish off drives, not a great ball handler, if he was standing around in the corners I'm pretty sure that is on him not coaching.

Hope he comes back, and shows the ability Webster is saying and thinking Malik has for being a Pro player.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-19-2016, 01:19 PM
The buzz has definitely been more positive lately. Of course nothing is for certain but Malik is more than ok with coming back. I know friends & family were expecting 1st rd but Malik has taken the feedback, listened, & understands another year at MSU would do him good. Unless someone comes in with a late 1st/early 2nd guarantee in the next week I expect him back.

MarketingBully
05-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Yeah this is positive news and it puts a kabash on the whole Malik is going to transfer thing. That rumor IMO was just someone running with Horatio saying Howland wasn't using him properly. I think if Newman comes back, he will be utilized much better then he was last year and the chemistry will be much better as well.

MSUDawg99
05-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Wow, Webster is saying he isn't sure Ben used him correctly, stood around the corner, didn't get to show case his ability with ball in his hand. Hmmm, what I saw was Malik's inability to finish off drives, not a great ball handler, if he was standing around in the corners I'm pretty sure that is on him not coaching.

Hope he comes back, and shows the ability Webster is saying and thinking Malik has for being a Pro player.

Yeah Horatio wasn't a big fan of how Malik was being used this season which is why this whole time I've assumed he wasn't coming back cause his dad wasn't happy with him at State. But this is interesting, very very interesting to hear him say that.

mparkerfd20
05-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Like I have said before, I would rather he just go on.

Big4Dawg
05-19-2016, 01:33 PM
Like I have said before, I would rather he just go on.

That's the dumb thing I've heard this week

MSUDawg99
05-19-2016, 01:36 PM
Yeah this is positive news and it puts a kabash on the whole Malik is going to transfer thing. That rumor IMO was just someone running with Horatio saying Howland wasn't using him properly. I think if Newman comes back, he will be utilized much better then he was last year and the chemistry will be much better as well.

That wasn't ever a rumor. That was just someone on the board giving their opinion, I think.

I feel like Howland will definitely be able to turn things around with Malik this second go round if he so chooses to return. But I also think some of it is on Malik too. He needs to get more involved & show up for games. He was too much of a team player (for a lack of a better way of saying it?), if you will & didn't really do himself any favors. He needed to step up & play a vital role & instead he tried too much to blend in & not take command. I know he was trying not to ruffle feathers of the older guys since he came in with a lot of hype but he needs to step up this go round if he comes back.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2016, 01:38 PM
I don't like Webster calling out Howland's use of him. At the end of the day, Howland's job is to win at MSU...not cater to 1 player's NBA chances. Newman has every opportunity in Howland's system to excel & grow his game.....unfortunately, the reason he's not able to "play with the ball in his hands" more is bc he doesn't have good enough handles. And the reason he sits in the corner is bc he chooses not to take over like the player his Dad describes SHOULD do. If you're the kind of guy that is a first rounder & needs to create...you should also be a guy that demands the ball or goes and gets it...not rely on a coach to tell you to get out of the corner. Move your feet, get out of the corner, and take over the game if you can do it. I'm sure Howland would love that...he didn't mind it with Westbrook & others.

You can give Malik the ball every time down the court, but if he can't handle it well enough or doesn't make a point to create for himself...it ain't gonna matter. If Malik was showing out in these other events, the "not being used right" statement might hold water...but those combines & all star events have no structure, so a "creator" can create at will...why is he not excelling in THAT format if that's the right usage?

He needs to come back, but I don't want to sacrifice wins for Malik to try and become something he's clearly not. That's how I see it.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Horatio did acknowledge that it is Ben's job to win games so he didn't blame him for that he just wants his son to be his best. I can understand that as a parent. You don't want to call out coaches but I think he did it in a respectful manner.

confucius say
05-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Excellent news. He will come back and be very good. He Will be much more comfortable and it will be his and Q's team and everybody will know it.

msstate7
05-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Horatio did acknowledge that it is Ben's job to win games so he didn't blame him for that he just wants his son to be his best. I can understand that as a parent. You don't want to call out coaches but I think he did it in a respectful manner.

If Malik returns, you think it's as a 1, 2, or combination of both?

I seen it dawg
05-19-2016, 01:58 PM
Love horatio but he needs to sit back, zip it, and let Howland worry about how Malik is used. Howland isn't ray the dude can coach.

I seen it dawg
05-19-2016, 01:58 PM

If you don't want to call out coaches then don't. If he said it then he thinks it. Keep it zipped.

confucius say
05-19-2016, 01:59 PM

I don't have a problem with it. I hope it lights a fire under both of them.

Howland has dealt with great players, egos, parents, and all that comes with that many times over. All will be fine.

djaymsu5
05-19-2016, 02:05 PM

I really hope he comes back. We will be loaded with talent next year either way but if you add Malik you just got a lot better. Whatever it is will click with Malik. Idk what it is honestly. Idk if it was the injury or what but if I'm Ben Howland this offseason and Malik comes back I do whatever needs to be done to get him back to the Malik we all know he can be cause Malik can take over a game when he's on. You add Q and staff to that and we have a damned good team. I'm really excited to see possibly Malik, Q, Tyson and Mario all playing together representing this state along with the other gems we got. I think Wright will be another under the radar that gets overshadowed like Q this year. The hump is finally getting a new floor in September I'm pumped to see what Howland can do with his own recruited talent in year 2.

Bodaski
05-19-2016, 02:08 PM
How many times with the ball in his hands did he finish at the basket, not many. His strength was outside when he was hot he could light it up.

basedog
05-19-2016, 02:17 PM
I'm sure nagging injuries played a part but he isn't a great ball handler, he needs to work on his ability to not only drive and but he has to get stronger and finish. To me he is a spot shooter more than a 1 on 1 player. He could do that in high school but he had big time trouble in the college game.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-19-2016, 02:17 PM
If Malik returns, you think it's as a 1, 2, or combination of both?

Ifyouonlyknew
05-19-2016, 02:18 PM
If you don't want to call out coaches then don't. If he said it then he thinks it. Keep it zipped.

I don't disagree

shannondawg
05-19-2016, 02:33 PM
It would be better in the long run if Horatio took a step back.

I_Spy
05-19-2016, 02:36 PM
Malik was uncomfortable on the floor for whatever reason. Our basketball team has been psychology whipped for many years now along with our fans. We need to realize we have some of the best players in many states, translate that on the floor, play with positivity and get better results. No excuses. Good D and score plenty. Energy and everyone comfortable. Have fun for once in so many years.

I_Spy
05-19-2016, 02:39 PM
Hustle and tighter passes, team speed should pick up - expect gold if you are that

confucius say
05-19-2016, 02:44 PM
Malik was uncomfortable on the floor for whatever reason. Our basketball team has been psychology whipped for many years now along with our fans. We need to realize we have some of the best players in many states, translate that on the floor, play with positivity and get better results. No excuses. Good D and score plenty. Energy and everyone comfortable. Have fun for once in so many years.

Yea I expect Malik to be much more comfortable, and therefore confident, this year. He is going to be fine. This is great news and the story here should be we are essentially adding a 5 star guard to our team that we didn't think we would have. Not that his father is worried about how we use him. We as a fan base better get use to outspoken parents-comes with the territory of the kind of recruits howland can sign.

Johnson85
05-19-2016, 02:50 PM
I don't disagree

I think in context that wasn't calling out howland at all. It seems to me he was saying Malike wasn't used in the best way for Mail to showcase his game, but howland was doing what he thought was best to win games and he doesn't fault him for that.

preachermatt83
05-19-2016, 02:56 PM
Wasn't it Hoopsdawg who kept saying Malik would transfer? Haha! Nice call whoever it was**

I_Spy
05-19-2016, 03:02 PM
True, nothing excites me more than team speed, running lanes, tight overhead passes, rejection type D ...

If you watched uconn vs ms state (women) beauty in motion uconn is
The men add the dunks and the big jumps, longer shots etc...but if we could just put it altogether ...

I saw Malik get around people when he wanted to or was in the right position.. I think it all work out

ScoobaDawg
05-19-2016, 03:04 PM
Wasn't it Hoopsdawg who kept saying Malik would transfer? Haha! Nice call whoever it was**

Are YOU really trying to rag someone about being wrong????

smootness
05-19-2016, 03:10 PM
Anyone who thought Newman would transfer is dumb. That is the last thing he would have done.

Madisonmd
05-19-2016, 03:14 PM
Before calling people dumb , you better let this play out. Lots of moving parts, watch out for Jayhawks. They've been meddling for some time. This Horatio factor is very unpredictable.

fishwater99
05-19-2016, 03:20 PM

With Q at the 3 ?

smootness
05-19-2016, 03:20 PM
Before calling people dumb , you better let this play out. Lots of moving parts, watch out for Jayhawks. They've been meddling for some time. This Horatio factor is very unpredictable.

He's not going to sit out a year before having the chance to play. That just isn't going to happen. Period.

Madisonmd
05-19-2016, 03:24 PM
Yes, he is very much willing to sit out!

Brahmabull
05-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Malik needs to come back and Horatio needs quit the helicopter dad routine. Sometimes, a father needs to step back and let the son grow.

engie
05-19-2016, 03:46 PM
People need to quit listening directly to what Horatio tells them on a whim and step back and think logically. Holy. F. It's been going on for literally half a decade now. You'd think the trend would have been realized at least by his junior year in high school. But no.

Let me spell this out. There is a big game talked a million different ways. He's always done that. Horatio revels in it. When the dust settles, they always make the best decision for Malik. Going to Kansas and/or staying in the draft is NOT the best decision for Malik. Unless Horatio thinks he's actually at his ceiling(which no one else believes) in which case maybe he stays in.

Being a bad fit with Sword and Fred doesn't mean bad fit with Q, Peters, Kegler, and a couple of actual bigs.

Brahmabull
05-19-2016, 03:50 PM
I am not talking about what Horatio says to the media outlets. I could careless how he talks a big game. I will just leave it at that.

engie
05-19-2016, 03:54 PM
I am not talking about what Horatio says to the media outlets. I could careless how he talks a big game. I will just leave it at that.

Who is talking about what Horatio is telling media outlets? Nothing in my post has a thing to do with what he is telling the media.

He runs State fans in circles. In this thread and every one about Malik before it. Going all the way back to the Stansbury era. You'd think everyone that is "close" with Horatio -- that have been hilariously wrong about Malik a half dozen times or more already -- would have relaxed their factual reporting of his position(s). But they have not.

preachermatt83
05-19-2016, 03:58 PM
Engie is hitting the nail on the head this whole thread.

MarketingBully
05-19-2016, 04:08 PM
Guys please shut the f up about him transferring. He is not going to transfer. These idiots who are saying it will be proven dead wrong. This is what I am talking about. HE IS NOT TRANSFERING PERIOD!

MarketingBully
05-19-2016, 04:09 PM

Your doomsday scenario on our basketball team is that we won't get half our recruiting class in and Malik is going to transfer. Give me a break. Get better sources.

MarketingBully
05-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Yes, he is very much willing to sit out!

Think of how assinine this sounds when he wants to go to the NBA as quickly as possible. Also, who has gotten more players to the NBA, Howland or Self? Let me give you a hint. It ain't Self.

mparkerfd20
05-19-2016, 04:38 PM
That's the dumb thing I've heard this week

If he has the same or close to same production next year as he had this year then how in the HELL is that dumb? And with an attitude against Howland peeping out from behind some comments, again I don't think that's dumb.

mparkerfd20
05-19-2016, 04:41 PM
I don't like Webster calling out Howland's use of him. At the end of the day, Howland's job is to win at MSU...not cater to 1 player's NBA chances. Newman has every opportunity in Howland's system to excel & grow his game.....unfortunately, the reason he's not able to "play with the ball in his hands" more is bc he doesn't have good enough handles. And the reason he sits in the corner is bc he chooses not to take over like the player his Dad describes SHOULD do. If you're the kind of guy that is a first rounder & needs to create...you should also be a guy that demands the ball or goes and gets it...not rely on a coach to tell you to get out of the corner. Move your feet, get out of the corner, and take over the game if you can do it. I'm sure Howland would love that...he didn't mind it with Westbrook & others.

You can give Malik the ball every time down the court, but if he can't handle it well enough or doesn't make a point to create for himself...it ain't gonna matter. If Malik was showing out in these other events, the "not being used right" statement might hold water...but those combines & all star events have no structure, so a "creator" can create at will...why is he not excelling in THAT format if that's the right usage?

He needs to come back, but I don't want to sacrifice wins for Malik to try and become something he's clearly not. That's how I see it.

This is exactly what I was 'trying' to say with saying I just wish he'd go on almost at this point. If it means sacrificing this team and chemistry to try to make Malik something he's not, it would be better for the TEAM, maybe not better for Malik tho. I care about the team, not individual agendas to the detriment of the team.

MSUDawg99
05-19-2016, 04:43 PM
He's got workouts with the Bucks, Knicks & Nets before the 25th. We shall see what happens.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-19-2016, 04:59 PM
This is exactly what I was 'trying' to say with saying I just wish he'd go on almost at this point. If it means sacrificing this team and chemistry to try to make Malik something he's not, it would be better for the TEAM, maybe not better for Malik tho. I care about the team, not individual agendas to the detriment of the team.

This may be an issue if he was dealing with a less experienced, less accomplished coach. This isn't Howland's 1st rodeo with star players & parents or entourage. He's not going to make any promises or change anything just for 1 person. If Malik comes back he's going to know upfront what his role is & Howland isn't going to cater to him or sell him a dream just to get him back on campus.

engie
05-19-2016, 05:31 PM
If he has the same or close to same production next year as he had this year then how in the HELL is that dumb? And with an attitude against Howland peeping out from behind some comments, again I don't think that's dumb.

Of course you don't think it's dumb. Otherwise you wouldn't have said it and doubled down on it so many times.

Go check that statline you are bashing from last year. People are getting their disappointment in "what he was supposed to be" cloud just how productive he (still) actually was.

Who was our last first rounder prior to Moultrie? EXACTLY. That's exactly what Malik has a chance to be with just a little maturity and one more year. Yet you basically think we should usher him out the door.

MarketingBully
05-19-2016, 05:38 PM
I think what will help Malik the most and will help him the most is learning to play defense like Howland likes to play defense. If he added an elite defender to his resume, he would be a lottery lock.

maroonmania
05-19-2016, 06:12 PM
Anyone who thought Newman would transfer is dumb. That is the last thing he would have done.

This^^^. Malik wasn't about to go somewhere to sit out a year.

tireddawg
05-19-2016, 06:28 PM
I think Maliks problems were mental not physical other than the injuries. His injuries were of the type that's hard to play through.

He's never had to play "lock-down" defense before & couple that with the injuries & you've still got a 2nd round pick that was productive. I'll take it.

I think we'll see a better Malik. Much better.

Political Hack
05-19-2016, 09:29 PM
The buzz has definitely been more positive lately. Of course nothing is for certain but Malik is more than ok with coming back. I know friends & family were expecting 1st rd but Malik has taken the feedback, listened, & understands another year at MSU would do him good. Unless someone comes in with a late 1st/early 2nd guarantee in the next week I expect him back.

Exactly. Sounds like he's making an informed decision. Can't fault a guy for experimenting to see where he stands and then doing that.

I think Haratio is just saying that the offensive set didn't suit Malik in the half court sets. I think we'll push it more next year and he'll have a chance to get out in the open court. He could be incredibly good in that set. Add Q at the 3 getting up and down with the new blood we have coming in and it could get nasty.

People should be excited about the possibilities this season. Could be a special one.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-19-2016, 09:38 PM
What I saw was a player who had been "the Man" his whole life and he was not able to be that last year. I think it was obvious there was some tension on the team and too many people wanted to be the star. Newman never really settled into his role. Injuries may have played a part but I think it was more than that.

basedog
05-19-2016, 09:50 PM
What I saw was a player who had been "the Man" his whole life and he was not able to be that last year. I think it was obvious there was some tension on the team and too many people wanted to be the star. Newman never really settled into his role. Injuries may have played a part but I think it was more than that.

I don't disagree, I believe Malik wasn't as prepared as he thought going into the season. It was easy for him in high school,
he should be much better with preparations next fall. The NBA tryouts will help him plus he will know what he needs to work on this summer and fall.

smootness
05-19-2016, 09:53 PM
I don't disagree, I believe Malik wasn't as prepared as he thought going into the season. It was easy for him in high school,
he should be much better with preparations next fall. The NBA tryouts will help him plus he will know what he needs to work on this summer and fall.

I think we underestimate the roll injuries played in his year.

basedog
05-19-2016, 09:57 PM
I think we underestimate the roll injuries played in his year.

I mentioned injuries in another post, I think it played a big role in his development especially early in the season.

mparkerfd20
05-19-2016, 09:59 PM
Of course you don't think it's dumb. Otherwise you wouldn't have said it and doubled down on it so many times.

Go check that statline you are bashing from last year. People are getting their disappointment in "what he was supposed to be" cloud just how productive he (still) actually was.

Who was our last first rounder prior to Moultrie? EXACTLY. That's exactly what Malik has a chance to be with just a little maturity and one more year. Yet you basically think we should usher him out the door.

You're reading comprehension sucks. If Malik wants to improve his game, but not at the detriment of the team then I'm all for him coming back. Communication to this point doesn't seem to realize issues with his game. Hence my current opinion based off of those observations. I'd love for him to improve and be the player we all thought he was. If so he'd be a welcome addition. I'm just not convinced... Yet.

I hope against hope that injuries really affected his true potential.

HoopsDawg
05-19-2016, 10:25 PM

No. It wasn't me. It was Harrydawg. I'm a huge Malik fan. I'm still a big believer in him. He's better than Buddy Heild at the same age.

32 Dive
05-19-2016, 10:37 PM
Healthy, & proficient personnel, or the lack of it, affected most of what Howland wanted to do in year one. That was both offensively, and defensively.

We rode all season with three tires full of fix-a-flat. Everyone, Malik included, will benefit from not (knock on wood) having that problem this year. #IndianBurialGroundFloorGone