PDA

View Full Version : WMD's Preseason Preview: Special Teams

War Machine Dawg
08-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Gents, this unit has the potential to make or break the 2013 season. I envision several close games, so this unit could be the difference in 5-7 and 8-4. To the position-by-position:

K: Devon Bell will return as kicker for the 2013 Dawgs. This kid has a BIG leg. Accuracy was an issue early in the year, but he finished strong. I think he hits at least one from 50+ this season. Bell's accuracy or lack thereof could be the difference in at least 2 wins for MSU this season. I look for him to pick up where he left off last year and be the first solid kicker of the Mullen era. He could potentially be the best kicker State has had since Brent Smith, Scott Westerfield, and Brian Hazelwood.

P: Baker Swedenburg is probably the best punter in the SEC and one of the top 5 in the nation. The hang time he gets is ridiculous and routinely allows for little or no return. Look for him to continue his solid, under-appreciated job this season. He should be first team All-SEC, but no way he'll be chosen for it.

KR: This unit has to improve in 2013. Jameon Lewis has shown flashes in this area, but it's time for him to make plays consistently. Robert Johnson appears to be the other return man alongside Tubby. He's got speed and long strides. He'll bring a more physical approach to the return game. It'll be interesting to see how he does. Other guys that might see a little work here are LaDarius Perkins and Brandon Holloway. Personally, I'd also like to see Kendrick Market get a try here.

PR: You know what I just said about Tubby on kick return? That. He's also got to stop dropping the damn ball on punt return. Guys I'd also like to see get a shot here are the same as kick return: Holloway and Market.

Questions: Will we finally have a consistent return threat? Will Tubby have the light come on? Can Brandon Holloway or Kendrick Market become X-factors? Do we continue to have solid coverage units? Will Mullen allow input from more knowledgeable ST people? Will Devon Bell improve?

Final Analysis: I look for a good year from the 2013 MSU Special Teams. The improved depth will really show up in this phase of the game. I expect Kendrick Market to be the leader and headhunter for our coverage units. He was always around the ball or making the tackle on the opposing return man at the end of last season. He's also good with the ball in his hands, so I'd like to see him get a shot in the return game, too. Brandon Holloway has the speed to be a game changer in the return game. He needs to get a look alongside Tubby. I also think we'll continue to see Devon Bell improve. Bold prediction: Bell hits at least one from 50+ this season. We know what we'll get from Swedenburg, and that's excellence. The biggest question mark I have is the return game. If that improves, I look for State to have a big season.

As always, feel free to comment, agree, disagree, or whatever.

smootness
08-19-2013, 12:37 PM
The biggest question mark I have is the return game. If that improves, I look for State to have a big season.

Totally agree. I think our ST will be very, very good this year, which will be a nice change. I also would love to see Holloway get involved, at least on KR. We have to get somebody back there with the potential to be a true game-changer, and he fits the bill more than anybody else, including Jameon Lewis. I like Lewis, but he doesn't hit the hole quick enough to break enough big returns.

archdog
08-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Will Redmond will get a look. Dude is a freak.

CadaverDawg
08-19-2013, 04:23 PM
For some reason I was inking one of the Texas guys was a good return guy coming in.....Did I dream that up, or is Ross or Chappelle supposedly a good return guy?

War Machine Dawg
08-19-2013, 06:52 PM
For some reason I was inking one of the Texas guys was a good return guy coming in.....Did I dream that up, or is Ross or Chappelle supposedly a good return guy?

I'm not sure, CD. But it wouldn't surprise me if one of them is, particularly if it's Ross.

War Machine Dawg
08-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Will Redmond will get a look. Dude is a freak.

We won't see Redmond for half the year. Can't really project him or say he'll have much of an impact outside of his regular CB position. And even there, who knows? Sitting for a year and a half is NEVER good for a player that isn't a lineman.

Hypnodawg
08-20-2013, 08:19 AM
So overall:
We lost our starting WRs - hurts, some were good but not outstanding
We lost our starting CBs - NFL starters, but were misused (defense may actually be better?)
Every other position we pick up another year of experience.

On paper, it sounds like we should make a step up this year. At least we should be competitive against the big boys and maybe win OSU or LSU.