PDA

View Full Version : Really Awkward Interview with Freeze Right Now on Finebaum

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2016, 03:29 PM
Here are the cliff notes as best as I can make them out.

1. Freeze is beating around the bush & not directly answering any question

2. Seems scared & looks like he hasn't slept in a while. Is almost pleading for people to see that they are honest

3. Says he isn't part of the fact finding process. which is actually interesting, because they way he said it, I almost believe him.

4. Says if he believes any of his staff "KNOWINGLY" broke rules, they would be fired on the spot

The last point is the most interesting to me & it clearly shows what the narrative will be. The Ole Miss coaches will be selling that they did not "knowingly" do anything wrong.

Freeze is very religious in this interview. Looks like he's been doing a lot of praying lately.

Now he's going super theological. Just an odd odd interview full of bullshit.

Dawgface
05-18-2016, 03:33 PM
Just same old bs. Finebaum letting him off pretty easy imo.

jumbo
05-18-2016, 03:35 PM
For Freeze to not be held responsible they are going to have to admit they knowingly broke the rules and prove without a doubt that Hew didn't know. That will be a tall task.

Commercecomet24

2. Seems scared & looks like he hasn't slept in a while. Is almost pleading for people to see that they are honest

3. Says he isn't part of the fact finding process. which is actually interesting, because they way he said it, I almost believe him.

4. Says if he believes any of his staff "KNOWINGLY" broke rules, they would be fired on the spot

The last point is the most interesting to me & it clearly shows what the narrative will be. The Ole Miss coaches will be selling that they did not "knowingly" do anything wrong.

Freeze is very religious in this interview. Looks like he's been doing a lot of praying lately.

Don't athletes when they get busted for peds always say they didn't "knowingly" take them? Lol sure sign of guilt! Freeze is a goober!

LeakyD
I heard the end of it. Clearly, he will be telling "his story" until the ship is completely under water. Amazing how he says all that so confidently, especially while referencing his faith.

TrapGame
05-18-2016, 03:40 PM
If the only argument they have for the NCAA is we didn't "knowingly" break any rules then they're screwed big time. That's like me in high school trying to tell my mom and dad I just lost track of time and that's why I stayed out till 2am.

shannondawg
05-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Interesting that they had a film about his trip to hati. I thought it was an info commercial before he appeared with Finebaum. I wouldn't have been surprised if a gospel group was doing background while he pontificating on his faith.

Due my experience thru the years, I keep a lot keener eye on folk that wear their religion on their sleeves, so far that has been a pretty good policy.

Dawgface
05-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Interesting that they had a film about his trip to hati. I thought it was an info commercial before he appeared with Finebaum. I wouldn't have been surprised if a gospel group was doing background while he pontificating on his faith.

Finebaum likes him for some reason. Just got through saying Freeze spoke from the heart and he believes him. Think I will go take a dump now.

Commercecomet24
05-18-2016, 03:47 PM
If the only argument they have for the NCAA is we didn't "knowingly" break any rules then they're screwed big time. That's like me in high school trying to tell my mom and dad I just lost track of time and that's why I stayed out till 2am.

Yep that argument didn't work with mom and dad either lol!

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Amazing how he says all that so confidently, especially while referencing his faith.

It's eerie how confident he can sound when there is clearly no reason to be confident.

Perhaps once that show cause comes down the pipe, Freeze can fulfill is true talent as an actor

Commercecomet24
05-18-2016, 03:49 PM
Either Finebaums extremely gullible or he's reeling freeze in to really bust him later when it all comes out.

spbdawg
05-18-2016, 03:53 PM
#

spbdawg
05-18-2016, 03:56 PM
#

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2016, 03:58 PM
It's not his faith that turns me off...his faith is likely sincere. It's his evangelism that's distasteful. His motives aren't for Him, they are for him.

Hugh Freeze is a complicated man. It could be that he just sincerely doesn't believe that paying players is wrong.

AlmostPositive
05-18-2016, 03:58 PM
Knowingly.....this is straight out of the Clinton White House crisis management playbook.

It depends on what the meaning of CHEAT is...

RocketDawg
05-18-2016, 04:05 PM

Actually, I do believe him when he says he's not part of the (presumably internal) fact-finding process. In fact, I doubt that anyone in the FB program, and perhaps in the entire athletic program, is part of any sort of investigation. Why would they be? They're the accused. It has to be taking place at the administrative level ... hopefully the Chancellor or President or whatever they call him wasn't complicit in all the goings on in the FB program. If they were, it's even worse than it seems now.

And yes, he probably hasn't gotten much restful sleep lately. I wouldn't either if I was in his shoes.

godlluB
05-18-2016, 04:10 PM
I agree with Shotgun's comment that Freeze looked tired and scared. He was kind of slumped over the table during the interview and generally talked in a low voice. He looked like a beaten man.

Contrast that with Mullen's interview. He was energetic, vibrant, joking around, and talking a mile a minute.

Turfdawg67
05-18-2016, 04:10 PM
I heard the end of it. Clearly, he will be telling "his story" until the ship is completely under water. Amazing how he says all that so confidently, especially while referencing his faith.

Is it at all possible that Ole Miss is gonna skate on this? My only concern is that I get on here and it's all doom and gloom for Ole Mess, and I get all excited, but it seems to be only when I'm on here. Everywhere else it's just gonna be a slap on the wrist. Why would Freeze give interviews like this if he knows his a$$ is grass? What good does it do at this point??

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2016, 04:13 PM
Is it at all possible that Ole Miss is gonna skate on this? My only concern is that I get on here and it's all doom and gloom for Ole Mess, and I get all excited, but it seems to be only when I'm on here. Everywhere else it's just gonna be a slap on the wrist. Why would Freeze give interviews like this if he knows his a$$ is grass? What good does it do at this point??

No they won't skate with this. Spurrier just challenged the NCAA in his interview.

The reason that Freeze can speak the way he did is because I believe him when he said he isn't part of the fact finding investigation & he may not know what people have found.

Other than knowing the truth, I'm not sure he's as educated on the current state of things as you'd think

Brahmabull
05-18-2016, 04:18 PM
Look, Freeze can't avoid interviews at events like this. He did it once and caught all kinds of hell. So, he has to do the interview. He really doesn't have much else he can say anymore. He made his bed and he is going to lie in it till it catches on fire.

basedog
05-18-2016, 04:21 PM

Dude, you are giving away your true colors.

Bodaski
05-18-2016, 04:23 PM
He's scared of what they will find.

BossDawg
05-18-2016, 04:32 PM
My only concern is that I get on here and it's all doom and gloom for Ole Mess, and I get all excited, but it seems to be only when I'm on here. Everywhere else it's just gonna be a slap on the wrist.

You mean as far as message boards and people chatting? Literally, the only places like that where they are speculating just a slap on the wrist are on UM message boards. Everywhere else people see reality and aren't blinded by red and blue glasses. As for your second question, why wouldn't he give interviews like this? No penalties have been handed down yet, so he has no reason to NOT give interviews. He's still in "public opinion manipulation" mode.

Bullsy
05-18-2016, 04:34 PM
"We didnt know we broke a shit ton of rules and cheated like nobodies business" = "lack of institutional control"

Turfdawg67
05-18-2016, 04:41 PM

Whatever... it's a legitimate question. Starkvegas native, 2-time graduate and 40+ year MSU fan. I know Senior Members on here that can vouch for me.

whatever
05-18-2016, 04:41 PM

I agree, the expectations of what are about to happen and the general feel of the severity of the situation are far more exaggerated on this board than anywhere else.

I think the Saunders/ACT issue will be what gets them loss of scholarships, but I think the idea of Freeze show causes and/or firings, burner phones, or just the general network "pay for play" theories will not be a part of the NOA. I just don't think the NCAA has teeth anymore or even care to police booster payments/inducements. You see schools get popped for player/agent dealings and academic issues, but I can't remember the last time we saw the NCAA hammer someone and try to prove a "pay to sign/play" scheme.

You've got DJ Fluker and Arian Foster tweeting that they got paid, Chaz Ramsey and some other Auburn guy on HBO saying they got paid, Cam Newton's dad admitting he shopped his son, and nothing comes of any of it. That makes me skeptical that anything near what is predicted on here will happen

Brando
05-18-2016, 04:43 PM
The only, and I MEAN only, ones that I have seen say that this is just a slap on the wrist is NM people. Everyone else of common sense is saying they are screwed about like Kimchee realized he was about 1.5 sec after jumping out that window.

Brando
05-18-2016, 04:44 PM
I agree, the expectations of what are about to happen and the general feel of the severity of the situation are far more exaggerated on this board than anywhere else.

I think the Saunders/ACT issue will be what gets them loss of scholarships, but I think the idea of Freeze show causes and/or firings, burner phones, or just the general network "pay for play" theories will not be a part of the NOA. I just don't think the NCAA has teeth anymore or even care to police booster payments/inducements. You see schools get popped for player/agent dealings and academic issues, but I can't remember the last time we saw the NCAA hammer someone and try to prove a "pay to sign/play" scheme.

You've got DJ Fluker and Arian Foster tweeting that they got paid, Chaz Ramsey and some other Auburn guy on HBO saying they got paid, Cam Newton's dad admitting he shopped his son, and nothing comes of any of it. That makes me skeptical that anything near what is predicted on here will happen

Wow....

Schultzy
05-18-2016, 04:45 PM
As to the internal investigation I wonder if the ncaa gets transcripts of the interviews conducted, that could be some humorous reading.

Taog Redloh
05-18-2016, 04:46 PM
I'll say it. I think Freeze TRIES to keep it clean. The boosters are who is dirty (and maybe some assistant coaches). But I think he has chosen to ignore because he doesn't want it to be true. I do think Freeze himself tries to do the right thing.

Homedawg
05-18-2016, 04:50 PM
I'll say it. I think Freeze TRIES to keep it clean. The boosters are who is dirty (and maybe some assistant coaches). But I think he has chosen to ignore because he doesn't want it to be true. I do think Freeze himself tries to do the right thing.

So you think he has no idea this is going on? Or won't touch the actual money? I assure you he knows what's up.

Schultzy
05-18-2016, 04:51 PM

No

BossDawg
05-18-2016, 04:53 PM

I think Freeze himself keeps it clean, but you know d@mn well he knew what was going on and I'd bet he even encouraged the boosters and bagmen a helluva lot.

Turfdawg67
05-18-2016, 04:53 PM

Well I don't agree with this at all. I think he's dirty and has been since he was there previously. I think that's why Archie and his cronies tapped an unproven (understatement) coach... because he WOULD go along with all the cheating, unlike Cutcliff and to a certain degree, Nutt.

spiral
05-18-2016, 04:55 PM
"not a part of the fact-finding process" hmmmm. The process is a two way street. People are asking and people are giving answers. Freeze is doing neither apparently. For the head coach to not be involved I would think it means two things:
1. He is under investigation so he can't be asking questions;
2. He is being asked questions and is not saying anything.

AROB44
05-18-2016, 04:55 PM

Due my experience thru the years, I keep a lot keener eye on folk that wear their religion on their sleeves, so far that has been a pretty good policy.

This is so true....my experience as well.

LC Dawg
05-18-2016, 04:58 PM

Statements like this are what get this dumbass is trouble. I think ole Hugh thinks he is picking his words carefully by using the term "knowingly" because he thinks he can deny knowing but he actually can't. When it is proven that there was widespread cheating involving coaches and boosters it won't matter if Hugh is directly implicated or not. These seemingly strong statements such as "firing someone on the spot" will just be more cause for ridicule when the facts come out. There is no doubt that Freeze knew some things that were going on but with the way he looks and is acting now I don't think he knows as much currently as he would like. When all these coaches get caught I don't think they will all fall on the sword and say that Freeze didn't know what was going on.

HoopsDawg
05-18-2016, 05:06 PM
Whatever... it's a legitimate question. Starkvegas native, 2-time graduate and 40+ year MSU fan. I know Senior Members on here that can vouch for me.

If Ole Miss doesn't get hammered, it's open season in recruiting for everybody. Think steroids era in baseball. Wild West.

Maroons
05-18-2016, 05:11 PM

Wrong.

mparkerfd20
05-18-2016, 05:15 PM

And I think you're a complete moron if you believe that. I believe Hugh Freeze is as rotten as they come. And I dislike him all the more because he tries to use Christianity to promote his agenda.

Gundawg
05-18-2016, 05:24 PM
This might be the craziest stuff you've said in a while. And for the legendary Goat Holder, that is a considerable statement. You are just stirring the pot.

Freeze learned from the best in the business. He is exactly what the boosters at UM want. The fact he hides behind God is what is truly offensive. Even his teacher did not toy with using religion as a mechanism to deceive.

DancingRabbit
05-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Hugh is like a good TV preacher. He's figured out how to make $5 million a year. Not the worst person on the planet but definitely not who he projects himself to be.

He learned at the knee of Orgeron. I finally read Meat Market this past winter. With regards to recruiting, Orgeron called Hugh his "right hand man". Hugh was breaking rules the same week Orgeron hired him. Got caught and had to self-report secondary violations.

So today Hugh says, "I have faith in who I am, what I do, and how I lead a program."

Why doesn't he say "I know who I am, what I do ..." ?? What is faith? The Bible says "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"

Turfdawg67
05-18-2016, 05:30 PM
If Ole Miss doesn't get hammered, it's open season in recruiting for everybody. Think steroids era in baseball. Wild West.

Well if that happens... count me in for a donation.

Taog Redloh
05-18-2016, 05:42 PM
Well I don't agree with this at all. I think he's dirty and has been since he was there previously. I think that's why Archie and his cronies tapped an naive coach... because he was too dumb to question all the cheating, unlike Cutcliff and to a certain degree, Nutt.
Fixed this a little bit.

I liken the situation a LOT to Chizik and Auburn. You got a guy who would fiercely tow the party line. He probably knows some people are working the background, but mentally tricks themselves out of believing it.

dawgoneyall
05-18-2016, 05:42 PM

He was hired to continue and extend the "network" begun while he was there under orgeron. Never doubt that.

Dawgcentral
05-18-2016, 05:54 PM
I can see how Freeze could rationalize illegal payments to players and arranging for fixed academics, while all the time keeping some barrier between his own involvement and the actions of assistants and boosters. All he has to do is imagine his behavior as charitable.

People do it all the time. Folks cheat on their taxes while keeping in mind that they already pay too much.

BUT! That audit is the day of reckoning.

ILOATHEBears
05-18-2016, 05:59 PM

For u photo shoppers. Please take a pic from today of cdm laughing having good time with fbaum and then a pic of freeze. Clearly u can see which one sleeps better at night and caption it as Guilty Conscience vs Not Guilty Conscience

I was waiting on freezus and Paul to break out and sing Amazing Grace

mic
05-18-2016, 06:03 PM
It's not a lie, if You believe it ...
His time is coming..

Dawgface
05-18-2016, 06:25 PM
I can see how Freeze could rationalize illegal payments to players and arranging for fixed academics, while all the time keeping some barrier between his own involvement and the actions of assistants and boosters. All he has to do is imagine his behavior as charitable.

I think this is it in a nutshell.

msbulldog
05-18-2016, 07:00 PM
It's not his faith that turns me off...his faith is likely sincere. It's his evangelism that's distasteful. His motives aren't for Him, they are for him.

Agree!

TXDawg
05-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Sounds to me like the NCAA is looking for a pelt to hang on their wall and Freeze knows it's going to be his.

blacklistedbully
05-18-2016, 07:13 PM
Finebaum likes him for some reason. Just got through saying Freeze spoke from the heart and he believes him. Think I will go take a dump now.

Kinda like President Bush, "looked into Putin's eyes and was able to get a sense of his soul". I think Bush is a good man, but that was a particularly embarrassing flub there.

Some people are just good at convincing the gullible, or those looking for a reason to trust.

LC Dawg
05-18-2016, 07:21 PM
I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that Hugh said he was a target because of his Christianity? Is this true?

msbulldog
05-18-2016, 07:25 PM
Actually, I do believe him when he says he's not part of the (presumably internal) fact-finding process. In fact, I doubt that anyone in the FB program, and perhaps in the entire athletic program, is part of any sort of investigation. Why would they be? They're the accused. It has to be taking place at the administrative level ... hopefully the Chancellor or President or whatever they call him wasn't complicit in all the goings on in the FB program. If they were, it's even worse than it seems now.

And yes, he probably hasn't gotten much restful sleep lately. I wouldn't either if I was in his shoes.

New chancellor, Vitter appointed about 3 months ago, probably doesn't want any part of this mess! That's why Bjerk & Freeze are off-line. The chancellor has taken over, which does not bode well for the AD & the coach.

Dawgowar
05-18-2016, 07:31 PM
Good grief. Do any of you all not think he discussed his responses with their PR department before he even arrived at that course? It's spin. This is a long march. UNM let him be interviewed. They could have declined. They knew PF would lob softballs and they prepped their answers like any organization or politician does before a press conference.

"Woe is us! We special little Rebel Bears are being victimized by the mean ol' NCAA!" Barf. Hope this things drags and drags for two to three more years. Think they are touchy now? Wait until recruiting really heats up and the big players start using this against them.

Enjoy every stinking minute of this.

cheewgumm
05-18-2016, 07:43 PM
Fienbaum has nothing to gain by doubting Freeze.

He'll just piss off a bunch of Christians.

I think Freeze thinks he is faithful, but he is just using his faith as a defense against criticism, IMO. He couldn't get away with it on a national scale but in the Gid fearing South, you don't question someone's faith. It's like questions God himself. It's brilliant really.

deadheaddawg
05-18-2016, 07:47 PM
Has any national media member spoke out that they believe Ole Miss will get the hammer? Serious question

DancingRabbit
05-18-2016, 07:55 PM
Has any national media member spoke out that they believe Ole Miss will get the hammer? Serious question

National media is very hesitant to make predictions like that. Certainly not before the NOA sees the light of day.

Reason2succeed
05-18-2016, 08:17 PM
I finally got a chance to listen to the audio. (For some reason the SEC Network website didn't think Hugh's interview was worth being posted but Mullen talking about the Boston Marathon was.)

What I heard was Hugh leaving a lot of room for error. He kept hedging his words. It was Paul that offered up the word knowingly when Hugh was searching for the right phrase. It sounds to me like Hugh knows that they've been caught and someone is likely going to get canned. He's just trying to contain it by placing it all on that "scapegoat". Unfortunately it sounds like Barney ain't going for it. Barney doesn't want to be the sacrificial lamb for a Freezus.

Liverpooldawg
05-18-2016, 08:26 PM
Did he really say he was a target because of his faith?

DancingRabbit
05-18-2016, 08:27 PM
Finebaum let him off really easy. Could have asked him if he's spoken with Miller and Barney. Could have asked him about the Student Assistance Fund story that all OM media was pushing. Could have asked him about the Miami article's allegations that Tunsil received Western Union payments from OM while in high school.

Brad Logan
‏@BradLoganCOTE
6:14 PM - 2 May 2016
"I've been told, quite adamantly, Ole Miss has all of the proper paperwork on any (transaction of monies) involving Tunsil," @SpiritChuck

DancingRabbit
05-18-2016, 08:36 PM
I finally got a chance to listen to the audio. (For some reason the SEC Network website didn't think Hugh's interview was worth being posted but Mullen talking about the Boston Marathon was.)

What I heard was Hugh leaving a lot of room for error. He kept hedging his words. It was Paul that offered up the word knowingly when Hugh was searching for the right phrase. It sounds to me like Hugh knows that they've been caught and someone is likely going to get canned. He's just trying to contain it by placing it all on that "scapegoat". Unfortunately it sounds like Barney ain't going for it. Barney doesn't want to be the sacrificial lamb for a Freezus.

Here's the Freeze video clip
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15596683

BeardoMSU
05-18-2016, 08:49 PM

At 2:13 he said "it's very hurtful to your kids and your wives..."

Is Hugh a polygamist?**

gravedigger
05-18-2016, 09:52 PM

And you dont know what you are talking about.

ScreenCaptureThis
05-18-2016, 09:58 PM

Thank you for posting. Watching that, Freeze is NOT confident and Finebaum is simply in an awkward spot. If Finebaum comes at him with guns blazing and no evidence, he gets called out. I think Finebaum actually did a good job with his line of questioning to get a dialog going.

These OM investigations (yes, more than one) are going to get GOOD!!!!

mic
05-18-2016, 10:06 PM
I didn't watch or hear any of it..
But I have no doubt that UMiss PR gave PF a do and don't list of questions..
I'm sure PF lobed softball questions to benefit Freeze..

Again his time is coming and he will be facing the firing squad soon....

pilldawg
05-18-2016, 10:28 PM
not so confident

Corn Bread
05-18-2016, 10:51 PM

And I believe in the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, and Socalized Medecine.

cheewgumm
05-18-2016, 11:22 PM

Totally disagree.

I honestly think he's the architect of this, which makes the religious aspect of it sickening.

War Machine Dawg
05-19-2016, 09:30 PM
Knowingly.....this is straight out of the Clinton White House crisis management playbook.

It depends on what the definition of "is" is.

Political Hack
05-19-2016, 10:35 PM
So "compliance isn't my job" and "I'll pray on it" was the interview?

Schultzy
05-19-2016, 11:18 PM

With what they're saying in interview after interview and article after article and tweet after tweet; they're certainly setting them up tomget the hammer.

No one has seen the original Notice of Allegations yet which could be bad in and of itself with all the acedemic fraud involved not to mention the inappropriate benefits like the loaner cars etcetera.

People keep acting like impermissible Benefits will be left off the first NOA but I think there will be some.