PDA

View Full Version : Who was there?

Political Hack
05-18-2016, 01:19 PM
Remember the unnamed people at the Tunsil house during the fight incident?

We all know an "agent" was reported to be there, but the reports also cited several unnamed people. What are the implications if some of those people were University of Mississippi employees hanging out with a player and an agent off campus?

Would that be enough for Freeze and Luke to not want to have to testify? Is it possible that they knew who was there and that it could potentially be an agent, a coach/employee, and a player all in the same place? If so, what would the implications be?

If they're forced to testify openly in this case, even the smallest details may come back and bite them in the ass like a rattle snake. I'd hate to be Hugh right now.

TrapGame
05-18-2016, 01:28 PM
I think Freeze set the whole thing up for the agent to meet Tunsil and he sent a couple of handlers to babysit. Freeze will have to spill all the beans under oath.

msudawglb
05-18-2016, 01:30 PM
Oh, they will be forced to do depositions and in those, they will be all kinds of things that would land them out of jobs. The problem is that the judge will probably allow the depositions to be sealed and only accessible to the lawyers involved.

AlmostPositive
05-18-2016, 01:30 PM
They're definitely walking through a minefield. They are guilty of a spectrum of offenses, and they're well aware that people who know where the smoking guns are buried are being offered deals right now. Watching them squirm is as fun as watching them lose.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-18-2016, 01:54 PM
The ironic thing about this whole situation is that if Freeze just would have kept his mouth shut and not blabbed off to the media about how he was proud of Laremy for protecting his mom, he would not have to give a deposition.

I totally agree with Lindsey Miller, too. If a widely known public figure called me a wife beater on television while he either did not know the truth, or was outright lying, I would be handling it in a very similar fashion.

If Freeze kept his mouth shut, he probably doesn't have to get involved in this situation. That's why his silence right now is so telling. That place is going down hard.

Jack Lambert
05-18-2016, 02:12 PM
Oh, they will be forced to do depositions and in those, they will be all kinds of things that would land them out of jobs. The problem is that the judge will probably allow the depositions to be sealed and only accessible to the lawyers involved.

Why would he?

Tbonewannabe
05-18-2016, 02:14 PM
The ironic thing about this whole situation is that if Freeze just would have kept his mouth shut and not blabbed off to the media about how he was proud of Laremy for protecting his mom, he would not have to give a deposition.

I totally agree with Lindsey Miller, too. If a widely known public figure called me a wife beater on television while he either did not know the truth, or was outright lying, I would be handling it in a very similar fashion.

If Freeze kept his mouth shut, he probably doesn't have to get involved in this situation. That's why his silence right now is so telling. That place is going down hard.

Has Freeze ever kept his mouth shut prior to this latest incident? He has consistently challenged people on twitter whenever his name was mentioned and now when a simple press conference to clear everything up and no word is spoken. If any UM fan isn't worried from the silence then they aren't paying very close attention.

Political Hack
05-18-2016, 02:14 PM

That's the thing. If he said that, he must know details of what happened, etc... Needs to be deposed. "What did Laremy tell you?" "Who was there?" "Did he leave with Mr. Secret Agent man?" "if so, why?" "When did he tell you all of this?" "Have you shared this with anyone else?" "Has anyone else asked you about this event?"

It could get interesting pretty quickly.

MadDawg
05-18-2016, 02:16 PM
Why would he?

http://s32.postimg.org/tlxcgupqd/basket.png

Gift basket from Dickie Scruggs?

TrapGame
05-18-2016, 02:22 PM
That's the thing. If he said that, he must know details of what happened, etc... Needs to be deposed. "What did Laremy tell you?" "Who was there?" "Did he leave with Mr. Secret Agent man?" "if so, why?" "When did he tell you all of this?" "Have you shared this with anyone else?" "Has anyone else asked you about this event?"

It could get interesting pretty quickly.

And then Freeze say:

http://i.imgur.com/Itj6g3r.gif

SailingDawg
05-18-2016, 02:25 PM
What's to keep Freeze and others to lie under oath? If the Clintons can do it...

MadDawg
05-18-2016, 02:27 PM
What's to keep Freeze and others to lie under oath? If the Clintons can do it...

Well if you lie to the NCAA, you might lose your job. If you lie to the courts, you might lose your freedom.

spiritual_machine2005
05-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Can they actually claim the fifth amendment in this situation? Their testimony may land them in hot water with the NCAA, but that's not illegal. Just curious, because I have no idea. I mean could anyone claim the fifth when under oath because what they might say would make them loose a job? Also, what is the precedent on sealing dispositions? Is that something that is commonly asked for and received, or if it is granted in this case is that unusual?

TrapGame
05-18-2016, 02:35 PM
Can they actually claim the fifth amendment in this situation? Their testimony may land them in hot water with the NCAA, but that's not illegal. Just curious, because I have no idea. I mean could anyone claim the fifth when under oath because what they might say would make them loose a job? Also, what is the precedent on sealing dispositions? Is that something that is commonly asked for and received, or if it is granted in this case is that unusual?

I'd like to know that too. If Freeze perjures himself it's all over. He'll never coach football outside of the Parchman Prison League.

sandwolf
05-18-2016, 02:44 PM
Can they actually claim the fifth amendment in this situation?

I'm no attorney, but I'd bet a whole lot of money that they can't plead the fifth.

Political Hack
05-18-2016, 02:44 PM
5th amendment is intended to protect somone from testifying in a way that would incriminate themselves. NCAA rules have no bearing over that whatsoever. It's an organization. It has no legal standing.

If freeze perjured himself to avoid breaking NCAA rules his lawyer should be tarred and feathered.

Really Clark?
05-18-2016, 02:49 PM
You can claim the fifth in civil trials but the blanket of protection is not nearly as much in a civil case and you can't use it to arbitrarily keep from answering a question. It's about self incrimination and in a civil trial, criminal liability is not presumed.

In civil and other non-criminal courts, witnesses and litigants who improperly invoke the fifth (such as by trying to shield testimony that reveals conduct that hurts their case, but is not criminal) will be compelled to testify.

Dolphus Raymond
05-18-2016, 02:50 PM
As I understand it, one dos not have Fifth Amendment protection in a civil case unless his/her testimony would/could result in criminal charges against them.

Liverpooldawg
05-18-2016, 02:56 PM
The NCAA has no standing when it comes to the 5th.

Really Clark?
05-18-2016, 02:58 PM
As I understand it, one dos not have Fifth Amendment protection in a civil case unless his/her testimony would/could result in criminal charges against them.

You do have the right to plead the fifth in civil trails, judicial trails, etc. but the rules are different than in a criminal trail and each differing line of questioning must be invoked an then the reasoning the witness is invoking the fifth reviewed by the judge and he determines if they can use the fifth or must be compelled to answer that line of questioning.

Indndawg
05-18-2016, 03:03 PM
Sounds like the Beav is trying to keep himself in a position of freedom. Maybe he knows the loss of his position is a fait accompli.

Wonder what his wife and girls think?

Tripp McNeely
05-18-2016, 03:14 PM
I'm no attorney, but I'd bet a whole lot of money that they can't plead the fifth.

There are two sides to the 5th amendment. 1) The testimony in the current case (as said above, it can be invoked A LOT easier if you are testifying in a criminal case) and; 2) The end result of that incrimination, which in this case is not even a court of law. So, heck no, he can't plead the 5th!

MedDawg
05-18-2016, 04:01 PM

ILOATHEBears
05-18-2016, 04:04 PM
There are two sides to the 5th amendment. 1) The testimony in the current case (as said above, it can be invoked A LOT easier if you are testifying in a criminal case) and; 2) The end result of that incrimination, which in this case is not even a court of law. So, heck no, he can't plead the 5th!

While it would be EPIC for freeze to fully testify and acknowledge wrongdoings but if he even could plead the 5th or seal his comments means zip to NCAA. They just need to perceive u are cheating not necessarily prove it if your behavior is that of a cheater,.....Correct??

Tripp McNeely
05-18-2016, 04:14 PM
While it would be EPIC for freeze to fully testify and acknowledge wrongdoings but if he even could plead the 5th or seal his comments means zip to NCAA. They just need to perceive u are cheating not necessarily prove it if your behavior is that of a cheater,.....Correct??

Yeppers, but it sure as hell wouldn't hurt to have the judge deny that suppression attempt...and I don't see why he wouldn't..."yeah, your honor, see I sort of lied to a quasi-governmental agency that doesn't have subpoena power, and if this testimony sees the light of day, I'll lose my job, you know, because I cheated and lied...so, if you could go ahead a suppress that deposition, that would be GREAT!!"

Political Hack
05-18-2016, 08:57 PM
If he pleads the 5th the media is going to go full blown ape. This has gotten too big for the local media to suppress anymore. It's an unfortunate and unfamiliar position for those folks up north, but it's better than the Young and Restless with a little WWE twisted in.

Thanks for the show guys.

PassInterference
05-18-2016, 10:27 PM
The 5th is where you don't answer a question do that your answer can't be used against you.

Freeze asked not to answer certain questions and asked for his answers to be hidden so the NCAA can't use his answers against him.

Pretty much pleading the 5th. Hopefully he'll come out and say it at some point. He hasn't been the self restraining type.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-19-2016, 12:04 AM
They're definitely walking through a minefield. They are guilty of a spectrum of offenses, and they're well aware that people who know where the smoking guns are buried are being offered deals right now. Watching them squirm is as fun as watching them lose..

Coach34
05-19-2016, 05:34 AM
Their 3 weeks of crickets chirping following the draft tells you all you need to know. You don't get accused of an asst AD negotiating player payments and not respond to it with an immediate denial. They did nothing because they had no idea what could be thrown at them next

They are squirming

Political Hack
05-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Their 3 weeks of crickets chirping following the draft tells you all you need to know. You don't get accused of an asst AD negotiating player payments and not respond to it with an immediate denial. They did nothing because they had no idea what could be thrown at them next

They are squirming

They've been caught in public lie after public lie. It's not against the law to lie to the NCAA or your back pocket media wanks, but it is against the law to lie during a deposition or in court. They'd better keep their mouth shut because any and everything's they say could be held against them right now.

Also, this isn't just a single court case. This could turn into something a lot bigger if the academic fraud scandal reaches the fed. If I were an OM jack hole my concerns would be 1) academic fraud prosecution, 2) Tunsil civil suit, and 3) NCAA. The problem is that 1 and 2 could open oandoras box for #3... And if they're caught lying my to the NCAA and it comes out during 1 or 2, they're done. As in "scorched earth, closest thing left to the death penalty, I can't see the sunshine" done.

TrapGame
05-19-2016, 11:52 AM
Academic Fraud>>>>>>Paying Recruits

Academic fraud will get accreditation yanked if it's been rampant for a few years.

msudawglb
05-19-2016, 11:59 AM

You are correct. At this point, Ole Miss is wanting the depositions sealed to keep the level of their cheating from the NCAA. They have already conceded that the NCAA and the public know they have cheated. They are now concerned with the NCAA learning the truth about just how much they have been cheating. That's where their 10 over 3 comes in. That's their view of penalties if they can keep it at the level of it just being $300 to Tunsil. They know if the truth got out, then it would be darn close to the death penalty.